Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default How long before cooking do you salt?

Well, the subject line says it all. There are different theories; what's
yours?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Wallace" > wrote in message
> Well, the subject line says it all. There are different theories; what's
> yours?

Usually a few minutes, sometimes I'll put a rub on a half hour before. Salt
removes moisture, but it takes a long time to do that so I've never worried
about dried out meat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wallace wrote:
> Well, the subject line says it all. There are different theories; what's
> yours?

Never before what Ed said :-) If I apply a rub before cooking, I never
put salt in it. When grilling, I put salt on, but only a couple of
minutes before it hits to cooking surface.

Bob
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
> Wallace wrote:
>> Well, the subject line says it all. There are different
>> theories; what's yours?

> Never before what Ed said :-) If I apply a rub before cooking, I
> never put salt in it. When grilling, I put salt on, but only a
> couple of minutes before it hits to cooking surface.
>
> Bob

Dunno if it's right or wrong, but the rub I make has little or no
salt added. That way, I feel comfortable letting it sit on the
meat for several hours prior to smoking, adding the salt just
prior to placing the meat on the racks and closing the door. It
also sure as heck reduces the weight and volume of my rub for
vacuum packing and freezing for storage. If I was going to sell
it, however, I'd add the salt to bulk and weight-up the package.

--
Nonny

Americans worry whether the rest of the world
considers us dumb, so we go to the polls and
remove all doubt.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonny" > wrote in message

> "Bob Muncie" > wrote in message
>> Wallace wrote:
>>> Well, the subject line says it all. There are different theories;
>>> what's yours?

>> Never before what Ed said :-) If I apply a rub before cooking, I never
>> put salt in it. When grilling, I put salt on, but only a couple of
>> minutes before it hits to cooking surface.
>>
>> Bob

> Dunno if it's right or wrong, but the rub I make has little or no salt
> added. That way, I feel comfortable letting it sit on the meat for
> several hours prior to smoking, adding the salt just prior to placing the
> meat on the racks and closing the door. It also sure as heck reduces the
> weight and volume of my rub for vacuum packing and freezing for storage.
> If I was going to sell it, however, I'd add the salt to bulk and weight-up
> the package.
>
> --
> Nonny

I make and keep my rub free of salt. I then add salt to the rub when I'm
going to use it. I think it makes a substantial difference to use sea salt
or kosher salt. I almost always paint ribs half strength cider vinegar
before applying the salt/rub. I stick this in the frig overnight if I'm
organized enough to plan ahead, otherwise several hours before cooking.

Ed