Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default New Poster and a question about Rib Tips

Folks,

I see a 10 pound box of Rib Tips for $7.90 at Cattleman's meat in
Taylor, MI. What am I likely to find in the box and how would they
best be cooked?

My first post. I have been lurking here for a couple of months,
smoking/BBQing since October on a Square Brinkmann Gourmet (?)
vertical smoker and enjoying the hell out of the hobby. I have done
Pork Shoulder a few times, a couple of briskets, turkey legs and a
beer can chicken. Mostly successfully, too!

I modified the smoker based on a bunch of good information found here
and on The Smoke Ring, and you guys are a great source of
information. It is an intimidating hobby to start, relatively easy to
get competent (I think), and a lifetime to keep getting better and
enjoying the learning process. My type of hobby.

I find it much like homebrewing, which I have been doing for years.
There is a quick learning curve followed by as much challenge as you
want to bite off.

I have been taking notes on my smoke sessions as I develop my skills
and will at some point be transferring them to a blog with pictures to
hopefully help other new smokers get over the hurdle and jump in.

So, back to the Rib Tips. The special at Cattleman's Meats (http://
cattlemansmeats.com/specials.html)
looks like I cannot pass it up and I'll grab a box on the way home
tonight. I haven't yet made ribs in the smoker, but it is probably
the next new thing I will try. Prior to that, though, if I grab a box
of these tips, rub and smoke them for what, 3 hours? My smoker
typically runs 240-270*F

Any other suggestions?

Rock
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RockPyle wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I see a 10 pound box of Rib Tips for $7.90 at Cattleman's meat in
> Taylor, MI. What am I likely to find in the box and how would they
> best be cooked?

Buy a box and cook a small sample. If the product was decent
and quality and everything comes out ok, smoke up the rest.

If it doesn't smoke up ok, I'd use the rest to make a big load
of pork stock.

At that price, you can't miss.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RockPyle wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I see a 10 pound box of Rib Tips for $7.90 at Cattleman's meat in
> Taylor, MI. What am I likely to find in the box and how would they
> best be cooked?

Make sure they're not imported. Like, from Denmark.

As long as they're from the USA, it's only $8. And you can say you've
experienced rib tips. They're best rubbed and grilled low over a smokey
fire, but not slow-smoked as you'd do for full racks of ribs.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rib tips are the bottom half of spare ribs and you cook just like
ribs. About 70 percent meat and 30 %cartilidge. Personally I love
tips. Dang I wish I could get them in the Carolinas let alone for that
great price.
Piedmont, broadcasting from HTH in Georgia.