Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Why charcoal

Today I was at Home Depot and noticed they still sell charcoal. Why?

I thought I'd do some research to find out why and ran across a few things,
such as this newsgroup. Anyway, why would anyone today still use an old
fashioned method of barbecuing food? I figure there will always be some
cheap ******* that won't spend $229 for a decent gas grill, but are there
that many of them?

Why fart around getting the charcoal going and waiting for it to burn. I
preheat the grill while I microwave the chicken parts to par cook them and
in ten minutes, both are ready to go. Ten minutes later, we're eating.

An of you guys still using charcoal?

Mort

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Mort Adella wrote:
> Today I was at Home Depot and noticed they still sell charcoal. Why?

....snip the rest of a desperate troll.

Thank you for your attempt at trolling, but you are using a line that is far
too lightly rated. But thanks for playing.
--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Mort Adella" > wrote in message
> Today I was at Home Depot and noticed they still sell charcoal. Why?
>
> I thought I'd do some research to find out why and ran across a few
> things, such as this newsgroup. Anyway, why would anyone today still use
> an old fashioned method of barbecuing food? I figure there will always be
> some cheap ******* that won't spend $229 for a decent gas grill, but are
> there that many of them?
>
> Why fart around getting the charcoal going and waiting for it to burn. I
> preheat the grill while I microwave the chicken parts to par cook them and
> in ten minutes, both are ready to go. Ten minutes later, we're eating.
>
> An of you guys still using charcoal?
>
> Mort

Money is one reason. At this moment the cost of BTUs are about the same for
charcoal and propane. As the energy crisis develops, charcoal may become the
most economical way to grill. It could become the only reasonable way to
grill.

Hugh

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Jun-2009, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Mort Adella wrote:
> > Today I was at Home Depot and noticed they still sell charcoal. Why?

> ...snip the rest of a desperate troll.
>
> Thank you for your attempt at trolling, but you are using a line that is
> far
> too lightly rated. But thanks for playing.
> --
> Dave

I'm pretty dense, but even I tripped over that line about microwaving
chicken to par cook it before grilling. I confess that I know what
happens when one microwaves raw chicken. I certainly would not
eat the result unless I was absolutely desparate and I assure anyone
who wonders that it has nothing to do with the culture of barbecue.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 7-Jun-2009, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> Mort Adella wrote:
>>> Today I was at Home Depot and noticed they still sell charcoal. Why?

>> ...snip the rest of a desperate troll.
>>
>> Thank you for your attempt at trolling, but you are using a line that is
>> far
>> too lightly rated. But thanks for playing.
>> --
>> Dave

> I'm pretty dense, but even I tripped over that line about microwaving
> chicken to par cook it before grilling. I confess that I know what
> happens when one microwaves raw chicken. I certainly would not
> eat the result unless I was absolutely desparate and I assure anyone
> who wonders that it has nothing to do with the culture of barbecue.

Brick,
Let me introduce you to my brother in law. Henry, bless his heart, he
precooks chicken before putting on his gas grill. But, then my sister
makes pizza dough with BisQuick, bless her heart too.
Michael (piedmont)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Jun-2009, piedmont > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > On 7-Jun-2009, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> >
> >> Mort Adella wrote:

.. . .

> > I'm pretty dense, but even I tripped over that line about microwaving
> > chicken to par cook it before grilling. I confess that I know what
> > happens when one microwaves raw chicken. I certainly would not
> > eat the result unless I was absolutely desparate and I assure anyone
> > who wonders that it has nothing to do with the culture of barbecue.
> >

> Brick,
> Let me introduce you to my brother in law. Henry, bless his heart, he
> precooks chicken before putting on his gas grill. But, then my sister
> makes pizza dough with BisQuick, bless her heart too.
> Michael (piedmont)

Long may they live in ignorant bliss, bless their hearts. Don't they notice
any difference when they eat your food?
--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 8-Jun-2009, piedmont > wrote:
>
>> Brick wrote:

snip
>> Brick,
>> Let me introduce you to my brother in law. Henry, bless his heart, he
>> precooks chicken before putting on his gas grill. But, then my sister
>> makes pizza dough with BisQuick, bless her heart too.
>> Michael (piedmont)

> Long may they live in ignorant bliss, bless their hearts. Don't they notice
> any difference when they eat your food?

Brick,
They went to the dark side long ago, lol, I'm the gentleman if I travel
back and eat at their house, I hold my opinion and go home hungry. It is
funny though, when they came down here to South Carolina to visit, my
sister went nuts on the pulled pork and fat back at Jomar's (local
restaurant). So I know they have a taste for it, probably not the patience.
Michael (piedmont)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hugh wrote:

(Snip a buncha useless crap)

> Money is one reason. At this moment the cost of BTUs are about the same for
> charcoal and propane. As the energy crisis develops, charcoal may become the
> most economical way to grill. It could become the only reasonable way to
> grill.
>
> Hugh

That's about to change Hugh. Get on the net and check the price of
Mortgages recently. Check the price of gas in the last few weeks. See
what's happening to the price of food. This is the result of printing
trillions of bucks. Each one becomes worth less. The price of charcoal
will double in the next year.

Dave T.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hugh wrote:

> Money is one reason. At this moment the cost of BTUs are about the same for
> charcoal and propane. As the energy crisis develops, charcoal may become the
> most economical way to grill. It could become the only reasonable way to
> grill.

But... but ... what about the gorillas?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...las-congo.html

And why do you keep changing you name, Hugh, Theron, .... KENT!

-sw

Charcoal Brick[_3_] Barbecue 0 29-04-2009 11:31 PM
Original Charcoal - Rancher's Natural Charcoal Sqwertz[_27_] Barbecue 25 16-04-2009 04:32 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc? markm75 General Cooking 31 14-05-2007 05:11 AM
Gas grills vs charcoal (and Lava Charcoal Rocks or tiles or flavor bars etc)? markm75 Barbecue 11 12-05-2007 06:15 PM
Lump charcoal VS Charcoal briquettes ken ullman Barbecue 40 22-08-2005 08:44 PM