Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default WHITE BBQ sauce wanted

Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.

Lewis

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Lewis" > wrote in message
> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
> Lewis

Big Bob Gibson's

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ite_sauce.html

"Well, Meathead, it's all there. You've got the right ingredients. Some of
the proportions are a bit different, but they're close. In fact, I might
have to try your version."

Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Lewis wrote:
> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
> Lewis

Something with mayonnaise and extra vinegar. You can add spices from
there as you like.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Lewis" > wrote in message
> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
> Lewis

you might try a béchamel with whatever floats your boat to spice/tangy it
up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote:
> "Lewis" > wrote in message
> > Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
> > to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.

> Big Bob Gibson's
>
> http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...gibsons_white_
> sauce.html
>
> "Well, Meathead, it's all there. You've got the right ingredients. Some
> of the proportions are a bit different, but they're close. In fact, I
> might have to try your version."
>
> Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ

Sounds good, Bob, even without the gorgonzola!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Lewis" > wrote in message
> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
> Lewis

Have you considered the original powdered Hidden Valley Ranch recipe?

Never the CRAP in a bottle.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Big Bob Gibson WHITE BBQ sauce wanted

" BOB" > wrote in message
news

> "Lewis" > wrote in message
>> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
>> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
>> Lewis
>>

> Big Bob Gibson's
>
> http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ite_sauce.html
>
> "Well, Meathead, it's all there. You've got the right ingredients. Some of
> the proportions are a bit different, but they're close. In fact, I might
> have to try your version."
>
> Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ
>

> BOB

OT: Big Bob Gibson is starting restaurants outside of Alabama, I went to the
BBG in Monroe, NC just east of Charlotte, NC.

m.a.w. (piedmont)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" BOB" > wrote in message
news

> "Lewis" > wrote in message
>> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
>> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
>> Lewis
>>

> Big Bob Gibson's
>
> http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ite_sauce.html
>
> "Well, Meathead, it's all there. You've got the right ingredients. Some of
> the proportions are a bit different, but they're close. In fact, I might
> have to try your version."
>
> Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ
>

> BOB

OT: Big Bob Gibson is starting restaurants outside of Alabama, I went to the
BBG in Monroe, NC just east of Charlotte, NC.

m.a.w. (piedmont)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reggie" > wrote in message

> "Lewis" > wrote in message
>> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
>> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
>> Lewis
>>

> you might try a béchamel with whatever floats your boat to spice/tangy it
> up.

I'd go for that. Start with a bechamel sauce made with a roux containing
1-1.5Tbs flour/cup of milk. I make it in the microwave. Then add spice as
you see fit. I'd add some "Better than Bullion" to give it some chicken
flavor richness. I'd also consider adding a very small amount of tomato
paste. The French do this in a lot of sauces to enhance flavor, without
adding tomato flavor. The same is true for a small amount of garlic. I kind
of poo poo'd the white bbq sauce idea when I first read it. I'm going to try
it myself. It would be very interesting to have something like this on a a
grilled chicken leg-thigh.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" > wrote in message

> "Lewis" > wrote in message
>> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
>> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
>> Lewis

> Have you considered the original powdered Hidden Valley Ranch recipe?
>
> Never the CRAP in a bottle.
>
> Dimitri

You could put the Hidden Valley powder into your bechamel sauce.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Lewis" > wrote in message
>>> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
>>> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
>>> Lewis

>> Have you considered the original powdered Hidden Valley Ranch recipe?
>>
>> Never the CRAP in a bottle.
>>
>> Dimitri

> You could put the Hidden Valley powder into your bechamel sauce.
>
> Ed

Sure no reason not to. It may thicken the sauce a bit not not too
much -It's the blend of onion. garlic and parsley that make the powder
successful along with the tang of butter milk.

Spend 3.00 for an experiment.

Buy a quart of Butter Milk and a packet of the mix.

Make your béchamel using the buttermilk then add the mix to the sauce.

Let us know how it turns out.

Dimitri

Here is a recipe for an Alabama White Q sauce.

Ingredients
3 c Mayonnaise ( not salad dressing )
1 c Lemon juice
1/2 c Sugar
1/2 c Apple cider vinegar
1/2 c Worcestershire sauce
2 ts Salt
1 tb Black pepper
few drops hot sauce optional

Directions
Mix all ingredients well..
Allow flavors to blend for 15 minutes before use.
Serve over any type of barbecue poultry, meat or seafood .
Flavors improve with age.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Lewis" > wrote in message
> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
> Lewis

DUH....

Didn't click till now.

Dimitri

Alamama White.

Ingredients
3 c Mayonnaise ( not salad dressing )
1 c Lemon juice
1/2 c Sugar
1/2 c Apple cider vinegar
1/2 c Worcestershire sauce
2 ts Salt
1 tb Black pepper
fe w drops hot sauce optional

Directions
Mix all ingredients well..
Allow flavors to blend for 15 minutes before use.
Serve over any type of barbecue poultry, meat or seafood .
Flavors improve with age.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Dimitri > typed:

>>> You could put the Hidden Valley powder into your bechamel sauce.
>>>
>>> Ed

>> Sure no reason not to. It may thicken the sauce a bit not not too
>> much -It's the blend of onion. garlic and parsley that make the powder
>> successful along with the tang of butter milk.
>>
>> Spend 3.00 for an experiment.
>>
>> Buy a quart of Butter Milk and a packet of the mix.
>>
>> Make your béchamel using the buttermilk then add the mix to the sauce.
>>
>> Let us know how it turns out.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Here is a recipe for an Alabama White Q sauce.
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 3 c Mayonnaise ( not salad dressing )
>> 1 c Lemon juice
>> 1/2 c Sugar
>> 1/2 c Apple cider vinegar
>> 1/2 c Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 ts Salt
>> 1 tb Black pepper
>> few drops hot sauce optional
>>
>> Directions
>> Mix all ingredients well..
>> Allow flavors to blend for 15 minutes before use.
>> Serve over any type of barbecue poultry, meat or seafood .
>> Flavors improve with age.
>>
>> Dimitri

> That's uncanny, I was just getting ready to post something like that, minus
> the sugar and plus an herb or two. However it's not a set recipe, just a
> group of ingredients I thought might work.
>
> mayo
> rice vinegar
> sage, or maybe tarragon
> a few drops of worcestershire
> lemon juice
> pinch of salt
> black pepper
>
> I thought of rice vinegar for it's extra sweetness. Some garlic might do
> well in there too. I'll have to spearmint.
>
> MartyB in KC

Maybe a dash of peppermint oil...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Cleatarrior > typed:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> In ,
>>> Dimitri > typed:

>>> That's uncanny, I was just getting ready to post something like
>>> that, minus the sugar and plus an herb or two. However it's not a
>>> set recipe, just a group of ingredients I thought might work.
>>>
>>> mayo
>>> rice vinegar
>>> sage, or maybe tarragon
>>> a few drops of worcestershire
>>> lemon juice
>>> pinch of salt
>>> black pepper
>>>
>>> I thought of rice vinegar for it's extra sweetness. Some garlic
>>> might do well in there too. I'll have to spearmint.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC
>>>

>> Maybe a dash of peppermint oil...

> Smartash!

Sufferin' succotash %-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Dimitri > typed:

>>> You could put the Hidden Valley powder into your bechamel sauce.
>>>
>>> Ed

>> Sure no reason not to. It may thicken the sauce a bit not not too
>> much -It's the blend of onion. garlic and parsley that make the powder
>> successful along with the tang of butter milk.
>>
>> Spend 3.00 for an experiment.
>>
>> Buy a quart of Butter Milk and a packet of the mix.
>>
>> Make your béchamel using the buttermilk then add the mix to the sauce.
>>
>> Let us know how it turns out.
>>
>> Dimitri
>>
>> Here is a recipe for an Alabama White Q sauce.
>>
>> Ingredients
>> 3 c Mayonnaise ( not salad dressing )
>> 1 c Lemon juice
>> 1/2 c Sugar
>> 1/2 c Apple cider vinegar
>> 1/2 c Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 ts Salt
>> 1 tb Black pepper
>> few drops hot sauce optional
>>
>> Directions
>> Mix all ingredients well..
>> Allow flavors to blend for 15 minutes before use.
>> Serve over any type of barbecue poultry, meat or seafood .
>> Flavors improve with age.
>>
>> Dimitri

> That's uncanny, I was just getting ready to post something like that,
> minus
> the sugar and plus an herb or two. However it's not a set recipe, just a
> group of ingredients I thought might work.
>
> mayo
> rice vinegar
> sage, or maybe tarragon
> a few drops of worcestershire
> lemon juice
> pinch of salt
> black pepper
>
> I thought of rice vinegar for it's extra sweetness. Some garlic might do
> well in there too. I'll have to spearmint.
>
> MartyB in KC

I think using mayo as the base turns it into more of a dipping sauce than a
barbecue sauce. I'd like to be able to slather it on the chicken near the
end of the grilling time. You could use the above added to a bechamel sauce,
with a bit of "Better than Bouillon" for flavor and to enrichen. You could
also add a bit of cheese, sort of Mornay sauce to enrich and flavor.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Theron > typed:
>> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
>>> In ,
>>> Dimitri > typed:

>>> That's uncanny, I was just getting ready to post something like that,
>>> minus
>>> the sugar and plus an herb or two. However it's not a set recipe,
>>> just a group of ingredients I thought might work.
>>>
>>> mayo
>>> rice vinegar
>>> sage, or maybe tarragon
>>> a few drops of worcestershire
>>> lemon juice
>>> pinch of salt
>>> black pepper
>>>
>>> I thought of rice vinegar for it's extra sweetness. Some garlic
>>> might do well in there too. I'll have to spearmint.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC
>>>

>> I think using mayo as the base turns it into more of a dipping sauce
>> than a barbecue sauce. I'd like to be able to slather it on the
>> chicken near the end of the grilling time. You could use the above
>> added to a bechamel sauce, with a bit of "Better than Bouillon" for
>> flavor and to enrichen. You could also add a bit of cheese, sort of
>> Mornay sauce to enrich and flavor.
>>
>> Ed

> You can use mayo on food while it's still in the cooker, no problem. A
> sauce
> can have any base. But for putting on meat in the smoker or grill, I would
> worry a lot more about the bechamel than the mayo, with the flour or
> cornstarch component of the white sauce being pretty likely to burn or go
> bitter.
>
> And then there are those folks who swear that Miracle Whip is the bomb for
> slathering on your meat before it goes in the smoker... (see Fast Eddie's)
> And no, I'm not saying I agree, just that the notion is out there on the
> competition circuit if you care to believe it.
>
> As far as dipping vs. sauce or baste, you're doing whatever you're doing.
> baste with thinned sauce sometimes, and caramelize it on ribs sometimes,
> and
> dip my fries in a bowl of it, usually more than sometimes.
>
> MartyB

I think if you cooked the flour in olive oil for a bit to make a brown roux,
and then added the milk you'd be OK. I wouldn't use cornstarch. I think I'd
also use part chicken stock and part milk or cream. With mayo I'd be
concerned about the egg, and mayo has a lot of fat.
A search on the internet indicates most use a mayo type sauce for a white
bbq sauce for chicken. I didn't find anything about a roux based, or
bechemal barbecue sauce. I'm going to play around a bit with a roux based
white sauce. You can make all of this up to this point in the microwave.
I'll report back.

I know it needn't be said, but this is what's fun and rewarding about
cooking.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>" BOB" > wrote:
>> "Lewis" > wrote in message
>> > Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
>> > to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.

>> Big Bob Gibson's
>>
>> http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...gibsons_white_
>> sauce.html
>>
>> "Well, Meathead, it's all there. You've got the right ingredients. Some
>> of the proportions are a bit different, but they're close. In fact, I
>> might have to try your version."
>>
>> Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ

> Sounds good, Bob, even without the gorgonzola!

LOL
I haven't yet tried this recipe, but Big Bob's original white is really good
as a finishing dip for chicken.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"m.a.w. (piedmont)" > wrote in message

> " BOB" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Lewis" > wrote in message
>>> Looking for a "tangy" recipe for white bbq sauce
>>> to be used on chicken as a serving sauce.
>>> Lewis
>>>

>> Big Bob Gibson's
>>
>> http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ite_sauce.html
>>
>> "Well, Meathead, it's all there. You've got the right ingredients. Some
>> of
>> the proportions are a bit different, but they're close. In fact, I might
>> have to try your version."
>>
>> Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ
>>

>> BOB
>>

> OT: Big Bob Gibson is starting restaurants outside of Alabama, I went to
> the
> BBG in Monroe, NC just east of Charlotte, NC.
>
> m.a.w. (piedmont)

How was it? I've never been to a Big Bob Gibson's, but I have used the
white sauce, and it's great on chicken.

I have had samples of Big Bob's competition food, although it was a few
hours later, and was what they did *not* turn in. Chris Lilly served his
chicken at a Friday night dinner before a competition one year, and I
thought it was great. I need to try the restuarant, if I'm ever near one.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Theron > typed:
>> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
>>> In ,
>>> Dimitri > typed:

>>> That's uncanny, I was just getting ready to post something like that,
>>> minus
>>> the sugar and plus an herb or two. However it's not a set recipe,
>>> just a group of ingredients I thought might work.
>>>
>>> mayo
>>> rice vinegar
>>> sage, or maybe tarragon
>>> a few drops of worcestershire
>>> lemon juice
>>> pinch of salt
>>> black pepper
>>>
>>> I thought of rice vinegar for it's extra sweetness. Some garlic
>>> might do well in there too. I'll have to spearmint.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC
>>>

>> I think using mayo as the base turns it into more of a dipping sauce
>> than a barbecue sauce. I'd like to be able to slather it on the
>> chicken near the end of the grilling time. You could use the above
>> added to a bechamel sauce, with a bit of "Better than Bouillon" for
>> flavor and to enrichen. You could also add a bit of cheese, sort of
>> Mornay sauce to enrich and flavor.
>>
>> Ed

> You can use mayo on food while it's still in the cooker, no problem. A sauce
> can have any base. But for putting on meat in the smoker or grill, I would
> worry a lot more about the bechamel than the mayo, with the flour or
> cornstarch component of the white sauce being pretty likely to burn or go
> bitter.
>
> And then there are those folks who swear that Miracle Whip is the bomb for
> slathering on your meat before it goes in the smoker... (see Fast Eddie's)
> And no, I'm not saying I agree, just that the notion is out there on the
> competition circuit if you care to believe it.
>
> As far as dipping vs. sauce or baste, you're doing whatever you're doing. I
> baste with thinned sauce sometimes, and caramelize it on ribs sometimes, and
> dip my fries in a bowl of it, usually more than sometimes.
>
> MartyB

Like most people, we have a Corning 1-cup bowl in the refrigerator we
keep filled with bacon drippings. When doing beef or pork in the
smoker, I've been known to warm up some of the bacon fat and slather it
liberally over the roast. For instance, that's the best way I know to
prepare a 3 or 4-bone ribeye roast for the rotisserie. Once the warm
bacon fat hits the cooler meat, it partially solidifies and does a good
job of self-basting the roast on the rotisserie as well as providing a
base with salt and the seasonings I then sprinkle and pat onto the roast.

--
Nonny
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties

Thomas Jefferson, 1802
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BOB wrote:
> "m.a.w. (piedmont)" > wrote in message
>> " BOB" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>>

>>> Big Bob Gibson's

snip
>> OT: Big Bob Gibson is starting restaurants outside of Alabama, I went to
>> the
>> BBG in Monroe, NC just east of Charlotte, NC.
>>
>> m.a.w. (piedmont)

> How was it? I've never been to a Big Bob Gibson's, but I have used the
> white sauce, and it's great on chicken.

snip

> BOB

hey bob,

sorry for the late response- didn't see the post! I'm picky but I have
to say that I enjoyed all the meat, I got a sampler platter. Not like
Sonnys which I think the only fair product is the brisket, blah on all
their othjer meats.
piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Michael1954" > wrote in message
> BOB wrote:
>> "m.a.w. (piedmont)" > wrote in message

> snip
>>> OT: Big Bob Gibson is starting restaurants outside of Alabama, I went to
>>> the
>>> BBG in Monroe, NC just east of Charlotte, NC.
>>>
>>> m.a.w. (piedmont)

>> How was it? I've never been to a Big Bob Gibson's, but I have used the
>> white sauce, and it's great on chicken.

> snip
>>
>> BOB
>>

> hey bob,
>
> sorry for the late response- didn't see the post! I'm picky but I have to
> say that I enjoyed all the meat, I got a sampler platter. Not like Sonnys
> which I think the only fair product is the brisket, blah on all their
> othjer meats.
> piedmont

That's sort of what I would expect from Big Bob's and Chris Lilly.
Consistently good. Sometimes better, but always good and an enjoyable
dining experience.

Yeah, anyone that believes that a restaurant can produce top quality BBQ,
day after day, hour after hour just doesn't understand how it works in the
food service business. It has to be ready very soon after a customer walks
in the door. Best that they can do, is to have a decent meal, for the
money, at the time that the customer wants it.

I consider Sonny's to be the MacDonalds of BBQ...it is exactly the same, no
matter where you go, and no matter when you get there. It's just a shame
that it can't be even just a few notches up the scale.

BOB