Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default 2nd ATTEMPT: Cost of Gas versus Charcoal

From the time I started to cook outside I've wondered about the difference
in Cost between charcoal and gas. I began to work on a spreadsheet about
this and so far I've come up with the following table.

BTU/lb Charcoal
Charcoal $/lb
$ per 1000 BTU
BTU in 5lb Charcoal
Cost for 5lb Charcoal
Cost for 1 hour grilling
Cost for 2 hours grilling

Charcoal
10000
$0.35
$0.0350
50000
$1.75
$1.75
$1.75

Charcoal
10000
$0.45
$0.0450
50000
$2.25
$2.25
$2.25

Charcoal
10000
$0.55
$0.0550
50000
$2.75
$2.75
$2.75

BTU/lb of 450,000 BTU tank
Propane $/lb

BTU/hour of gas grill
Cost for 20lb Propane
Cost for 1 hour grilling
Cost for 2 hours grilling

Propane
22500
$0.95
$0.0421
10000
$18.95
$0.42
$0.84

Propane
22500
$0.95
$0.0421
20000
$18.95
$0.84
$1.68

Propane
22500
$0.95
$0.0421
30000
$18.95
$1.26
$2.53

Propane
22500
$0.95
$0.0421
36000
$18.95
$1.52
$3.03

Propane
22500
$0.95
$0.0421
40000
$18.95
$1.68
$3.37

Propane
22500
$0.85
$0.0377
20000
$16.95
$0.75
$1.51

Propane
22500
$0.85
$0.0377
30000
$16.95
$1.13
$2.26

Propane
22500
$0.85
$0.0377
36000
$16.95
$1.36
$2.71

If I'm correct the cost is much closer than I thought, though the
variability is only hinted at above. When you grill you turn the gas on when
you begin and off when you end. When you use charcoal you light so many
pounds of charcoal. The charcoal burns until it goes out. Different types
and brands of charcoal have different BTU's per pound of weight. I would
guess a gas smoker may consume as little as 3-5000 BTU per hour. If anyone
knows I'd appreciate knowing.

If you have other thoughts about this I'd appreciate hearing.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message
> From the time I started to cook outside I've wondered about the difference
> in Cost between charcoal and gas. I began to work on a spreadsheet about
> this and so far I've come up with the following table.
> If I'm correct the cost is much closer than I thought, though the
> variability is only hinted at above. When you grill you turn the gas on
> when you begin and off when you end. When you use charcoal you light so
> many pounds of charcoal. The charcoal burns until it goes out. Different
> types and brands of charcoal have different BTU's per pound of weight. I
> would guess a gas smoker may consume as little as 3-5000 BTU per hour. If
> anyone knows I'd appreciate knowing.
>
> If you have other thoughts about this I'd appreciate hearing.
>
> Ed

This time I sent it to myself prior to posting, and obviously it still
didn't work.
Sorry for the cluttering.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Theron" > wrote in message

> "Theron" > wrote in message
>> From the time I started to cook outside I've wondered about the
>> difference in Cost between charcoal and gas. I began to work on a
>> spreadsheet about this and so far I've come up with the following table.
>> If I'm correct the cost is much closer than I thought, though the
>> variability is only hinted at above. When you grill you turn the gas on
>> when you begin and off when you end. When you use charcoal you light so
>> many pounds of charcoal. The charcoal burns until it goes out. Different
>> types and brands of charcoal have different BTU's per pound of weight. I
>> would guess a gas smoker may consume as little as 3-5000 BTU per hour. If
>> anyone knows I'd appreciate knowing.
>>
>> If you have other thoughts about this I'd appreciate hearing.
>>
>> Ed
>>

> This time I sent it to myself prior to posting, and obviously it still
> didn't work.
> Sorry for the cluttering.
>
> Ed

Just use charcoal and/or wood. Damn the cost, wood tastes better.

Save the gas for criminals.

BOB