Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default (bbq) Easy to make sauce suggestions please

Bob-tx wrote:
> I am looking for an easy to make (less than about ten ingrediants)
> barbecue sauce that goes good with pulled pork.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Bob-tx

Here is the recipe I use. It's very easy and you can substitute whatever
spices you like best. You might prefer a zingier sauce and want to add
hotter pepper, like cayenne or other ground hot pepper.

The recipe is very tolerant for spice changes.

I use Splenda for sweetening because DH is Diabetic. Even if you
substitute brown sugar, white sugar, honey, molasses or leave out the
sweetener all together, it's a lot healthies than those store-bought
bottles of red -colored high-fructose corn syrup, IMHO.

BBQ Sauce

Recipe By :Janet Wilder
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sauces, Dressings & Gravies

1 teaspoon cumin seeds -- toasted
1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup cider vinegar -- add an extra teaspoon if you
want
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon dried onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon New Mexico red chili powder
2 tablespoons Splenda Granular

After toasting the cumin seeds in a dry skillet, grind them in a mortar
and pestle. Sift through a mesh strainer to remove the chaff.

With a small, wire whisk, mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 15
minutes until the flavors are blended.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob-tx" > wrote in message
>I am looking for an easy to make (less than about ten ingrediants) barbecue
>sauce that goes good with pulled pork.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Bob-tx

1 cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup yellow mustard
mix all in sauce pan and bring to simmer. Simmer for 4 minutes. Keep
stirring.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-May-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Bob-tx wrote:
> > I am looking for an easy to make (less than about ten ingrediants)
> > barbecue sauce that goes good with pulled pork.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks, Bob-tx
> >

> Here is the recipe I use. It's very easy and you can substitute whatever
> spices you like best. You might prefer a zingier sauce and want to add
> hotter pepper, like cayenne or other ground hot pepper.
>
> The recipe is very tolerant for spice changes.
>
> I use Splenda for sweetening because DH is Diabetic. Even if you
> substitute brown sugar, white sugar, honey, molasses or leave out the
> sweetener all together, it's a lot healthies than those store-bought
> bottles of red -colored high-fructose corn syrup, IMHO.
>
> BBQ Sauce
>
> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Sauces, Dressings & Gravies

> 1 teaspoon cumin seeds -- toasted
> 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
> 1 1/4 cups water
> 1/4 cup cider vinegar -- add an extra teaspoon if you
> want
> 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
> 2 teaspoons dry mustard
> 1 teaspoon dried onion
> 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
> 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
> 2 teaspoons chili powder
> 1/4 teaspoon New Mexico red chili powder
> 2 tablespoons Splenda Granular
>
> After toasting the cumin seeds in a dry skillet, grind them in a mortar
> and pestle. Sift through a mesh strainer to remove the chaff.
>
> With a small, wire whisk, mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 15
> minutes until the flavors are blended.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

I am familiar with Ancho and New Mexico Red, but what pray tell
are you referring to with "2 teaspoons chili powder".

Chili powder is a generic name for any powdered spice mix composed
chiefly of chili peppers, most commonly either red peppers or cayenne
peppers, which are both of the species Capsicum annuum.

It can be made from virtually any hot pepper including ancho, Cayenne,
Jalapeño, New Mexico, and pasilla chilis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_powder

It's like specifying "curry" without providing the recipe for the
particular
curry mix.

This is what McCormick says about theirs:

PRODUCT INGREDIENTS
CHILI PEPPER, SPICES, SALT, SILICON DIOXIDE (ADDED TO
MAKE FREE FLOWING), AND GARLIC.

Penzey's is a little more specific about their hot chili powder:

Hand-mixed from: Ancho chili pepper, red pepper, cumin, crushed red
pepper, garlic and Mexican oregano. Even they don't specify which red
pepper or which crushed red pepper.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 23-May-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Bob-tx wrote:
>>> I am looking for an easy to make (less than about ten ingrediants)
>>> barbecue sauce that goes good with pulled pork.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks, Bob-tx
>>>

>> Here is the recipe I use. It's very easy and you can substitute whatever
>> spices you like best. You might prefer a zingier sauce and want to add
>> hotter pepper, like cayenne or other ground hot pepper.
>>
>> The recipe is very tolerant for spice changes.
>>
>> I use Splenda for sweetening because DH is Diabetic. Even if you
>> substitute brown sugar, white sugar, honey, molasses or leave out the
>> sweetener all together, it's a lot healthies than those store-bought
>> bottles of red -colored high-fructose corn syrup, IMHO.
>>
>> BBQ Sauce
>>
>> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
>> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Sauces, Dressings & Gravies
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 teaspoon cumin seeds -- toasted
>> 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
>> 1 1/4 cups water
>> 1/4 cup cider vinegar -- add an extra teaspoon if you
>> want
>> 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 teaspoons dry mustard
>> 1 teaspoon dried onion
>> 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
>> 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
>> 2 teaspoons chili powder
>> 1/4 teaspoon New Mexico red chili powder
>> 2 tablespoons Splenda Granular
>>
>> After toasting the cumin seeds in a dry skillet, grind them in a mortar
>> and pestle. Sift through a mesh strainer to remove the chaff.
>>
>> With a small, wire whisk, mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 15
>> minutes until the flavors are blended.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> I am familiar with Ancho and New Mexico Red, but what pray tell
> are you referring to with "2 teaspoons chili powder".

Just run-of-the-mill supermarket chili powder. I use the Bolner's Fiesta
brand "fancy light" chili powder. It has chili pepper, Comino, Silicon
Dioxide, oregano and garlic.

I'm sorry, I thought most people would know what "chili powder" was if
the type was not specified, like I specified the NM red and the ancho.

I apologize for misleading anyone.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Brick wrote:

> >> Here is the recipe I use. It's very easy and you can substitute
> >> whatever spices you like best. You might prefer a zingier sauce and
> >> want to add hotter pepper, like cayenne or other ground hot pepper.

> > [ . . . ]
> > I am familiar with Ancho and New Mexico Red, but what pray tell
> > are you referring to with "2 teaspoons chili powder".

> Just run-of-the-mill supermarket chili powder. I use the Bolner's Fiesta
> brand "fancy light" chili powder. It has chili pepper, Comino, Silicon
> Dioxide, oregano and garlic.
>
> I'm sorry, I thought most people would know what "chili powder" was if
> the type was not specified, like I specified the NM red and the ancho.
>
> I apologize for misleading anyone.

I don't think you misled anyone, Janet. Brick clearly understood what it
was. That's why he wrote:

"Chili powder is a generic name for any powdered spice mix composed
chiefly of chili peppers, most commonly either red peppers or cayenne
peppers, which are both of the species Capsicum annuum.

It can be made from virtually any hot pepper including ancho, Cayenne,
Jalapeño, New Mexico, and pasilla chilis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_powder

It's like specifying "curry" without providing the recipe for the
particular curry mix."

Speaking of which, I had a late night potluck snack at a party at the Sri
Lankan Buddhist temple, earlier tonight. I had a big plate of onion curry
with two curry pastes on the side. The onion curry actually had some curry
leaves in it! I don't know what any of them were, besides HOT, especially
the pastes. They were good, although Sai only took a small taste of what I
brought home and Jun didn't have much more than that. More for me. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-May-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Brick wrote:

> >> Here is the recipe I use. It's very easy and you can substitute
> >> whatever
> >> spices you like best. You might prefer a zingier sauce and want to add
> >> hotter pepper, like cayenne or other ground hot pepper.
> >>
> >> The recipe is very tolerant for spice changes.
> >>
> >> I use Splenda for sweetening because DH is Diabetic. Even if you
> >> substitute brown sugar, white sugar, honey, molasses or leave out the
> >> sweetener all together, it's a lot healthies than those store-bought
> >> bottles of red -colored high-fructose corn syrup, IMHO.
> >>
> >> BBQ Sauce
> >>
> >> Recipe By :Janet Wilder
> >> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> >> Categories : Sauces, Dressings & Gravies
> >>
> >> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> >> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
> >> 1 teaspoon cumin seeds -- toasted
> >> 1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
> >> 1 1/4 cups water
> >> 1/4 cup cider vinegar -- add an extra teaspoon if you
> >> want
> >> 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
> >> 2 teaspoons dry mustard
> >> 1 teaspoon dried onion
> >> 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
> >> 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
> >> 2 teaspoons chili powder
> >> 1/4 teaspoon New Mexico red chili powder
> >> 2 tablespoons Splenda Granular
> >>
> >> After toasting the cumin seeds in a dry skillet, grind them in a
> >> mortar
> >> and pestle. Sift through a mesh strainer to remove the chaff.
> >>
> >> With a small, wire whisk, mix all ingredients in a pot and simmer for
> >> 15
> >> minutes until the flavors are blended.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Janet Wilder

> > I am familiar with Ancho and New Mexico Red, but what pray tell
> > are you referring to with "2 teaspoons chili powder".

> Just run-of-the-mill supermarket chili powder. I use the Bolner's Fiesta
> brand "fancy light" chili powder. It has chili pepper, Comino, Silicon
> Dioxide, oregano and garlic.
>
> I'm sorry, I thought most people would know what "chili powder" was if
> the type was not specified, like I specified the NM red and the ancho.
>
> I apologize for misleading anyone.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

I'm not ;purposely trying to be a wiseguy Janet. I suspect that a lot
of people are unaware of the vast diversity of content among super
market brands of "Chili Powder" Your brand looks pretty decent
from the label contents. Some however are loaded up with masa
flour or other strange ingredients that have no business being there.
I recommend for anyone who makes chili regularly, to mix their
own house blend so they know for sure what's in it. Personally, I
never use premixed "Chili Powders". I can add in the cumin, oregano
and garlic with the best of them.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-May-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:

.. . .

> It's like specifying "curry" without providing the recipe for the
> particular curry mix."
>
> Speaking of which, I had a late night potluck snack at a party at the Sri
> Lankan Buddhist temple, earlier tonight. I had a big plate of onion curry
> with two curry pastes on the side. The onion curry actually had some
> curry
> leaves in it! I don't know what any of them were, besides HOT, especially
> the pastes. They were good, although Sai only took a small taste of what
> brought home and Jun didn't have much more than that. More for me. ;-)
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV.

I wish I could have shared that with you Nick. I don't get much curry
exposure around here. I guess I'll have to visit the Indian mini buffet
at the Indian grocery this week and get a fix. But Indian is all there
is that I know about. I haven't been able to try all of the Thai
restaurants.
Most are several miles away and it's difficult for me to make the time
away from the house.
--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob-tx wrote:
> I am looking for an easy to make (less than about ten ingrediants)
> barbecue sauce that goes good with pulled pork.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Bob-tx

Ingredients:
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Preparation:

Mix all ingredients together. Let stand as long as possible, at least
1/2 a day, but the longer the better.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Preparation:

Mix thoroughly. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate for
several days, allowing the flavors to blend.

Ingredients:
1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder

--
m.a.w.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote:
> On 24-May-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:

[ . . . ]
> > It's like specifying "curry" without providing the recipe for the
> > particular curry mix."
> >
> > Speaking of which, I had a late night potluck snack at a party at the
> > Sri Lankan Buddhist temple, earlier tonight.[]

> I wish I could have shared that with you Nick. I don't get much curry
> exposure around here. I guess I'll have to visit the Indian mini buffet
> at the Indian grocery this week and get a fix. But Indian is all there
> is that I know about. I haven't been able to try all of the Thai
> restaurants.
> Most are several miles away and it's difficult for me to make the time
> away from the house.

Brick, Sri Lankan food is nothing like Thai or Indian. The best way to get
real Thai or Lankan food is to show up at one of their Buddhist temples
(Wat, Vihara or Pana Sala) around 11:30 Sunday morning. After the monks
have eaten, the people eat. They'll be happy to see a skinny old gringo and
you'll eat good!

Buddhist Tutorial: Thai monks are called "pra", from Pali "praya", which
means "highest". Sri Lankan monks are called "Bhante", which in Pali means
"person"! Bhikkhu is the Pali word meaning "beggar". "Bhikkhu Bhante" is
good, too! In converstion with him, I will often call my friend, Bhante
Sirinawasa, "Bhikkhu Bhante". I can tell that that pleases him.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 23 May 2009 21:29:58 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Brick wrote:
>
>> I am familiar with Ancho and New Mexico Red, but what pray tell
>> are you referring to with "2 teaspoons chili powder".

> Just run-of-the-mill supermarket chili powder....
>
> I apologize for misleading anyone.

I think Brick is just being dense if he honestly doesn't know what
chili powder is. I think maybe he's leading up to criticising
pre-blended spices... That usually comes next.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:34:30 -0400, m.a.w. wrote:

> Ingredients:
> 1 cup cider vinegar
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon cayenne
> 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
> Preparation:
>
> Mix all ingredients together. Let stand as long as possible, at least
> 1/2 a day, but the longer the better.

The first recipe is defective; It has way too much salt. Compare it
the amount of salt in the second and third recipes. That recipe
makes a finished product that is a full 15% salt in relation to all
the other ingredients.

If your butt needs that much salt and vinegar, then something else
is wrong.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 24-May-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > Just run-of-the-mill supermarket chili powder....
> > >
> > > I apologize for misleading anyone.

> > I think Brick is just being dense if he honestly doesn't know what
> > chili powder is. I think maybe he's leading up to criticising
> > pre-blended spices... That usually comes next.

> Steve,
>
> Brick obviously understands what "Chili Powder" is, Steve. It's a "pig in
> poke!" You've been drinking!!! Me, too!
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV.

Nick provided the words that I was at a loss for. Yes I know what chili
powder is. It isn't the same as ground chili. And no, I don't have
anything
against premixed spices. My complaint is that any given brand of grocery
market chili powder is unlikely to be the same as any other brand on the
same shelf. And none of them will specify the particular chili that it
contains.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25 May 2009 02:33:58 GMT, Nick Cramer wrote:

> Brick obviously understands what "Chili Powder" is, Steve. It's a "pig in a
> poke!" You've been drinking!!! Me, too!

If he knew what is was, then why did he ask? He seems more ornery
than me sometimes.

I've been alcohol free since 11pm Friday night. Just the same as it
is with me on most weekends.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 25 May 2009 04:14:45 GMT, Brick wrote:

> On 24-May-2009, Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> I think Brick is just being dense if he honestly doesn't know what
>>> chili powder is. I think maybe he's leading up to criticising
>>> pre-blended spices... That usually comes next.

>> Steve,
>>
>> Brick obviously understands what "Chili Powder" is, Steve. It's a "pig in
>> poke!" You've been drinking!!! Me, too!
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV.

> Nick provided the words that I was at a loss for. Yes I know what chili
> powder is. It isn't the same as ground chili. And no, I don't have
> anything
> against premixed spices. My complaint is that any given brand of grocery
> market chili powder is unlikely to be the same as any other brand on the
> same shelf. And none of them will specify the particular chili that it
> contains.

Uh, no comment.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-May-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> [...]

> > PRODUCT INGREDIENTS
> > CHILI PEPPER, SPICES, SALT, SILICON DIOXIDE (ADDED TO
> > MAKE FREE FLOWING), AND GARLIC.
> >
> > Penzey's is a little more specific about their hot chili powder:
> >
> > Hand-mixed from: Ancho chili pepper, red pepper, cumin, crushed red
> > pepper, garlic and Mexican oregano. Even they don't specify which red
> > pepper or which crushed red pepper.

> Generically I consider chili powder to be some combination of dried
> powdered
> chile peppers, cumin, garlic, and oregano, which jives with the Penzey's
> ingredients, a reliable spice merchant.
>
> But I am always mystified when I see recipes like that calling for
> crushed
> red pepper, and red pepper, plus some sort of chile powder. I see it all
> the
> time and I have no idea what to make of it.

I know I'm about to catch flak here, but you said it yourself Marty. You
said; "I consider chili powder to be some combination of dried
powdered chile peppers, cumin, garlic, and oregano."

My point is, "What dried, powdered chile peppers"? Ancho?, California?,
Banana?, Poblano?, New Mexican Red?, Pasilla?, Habenero? These
peppers all have different taste. Then some suppliers add masa flour
for thickening assuming you're too stupid to thicken your own chile.

And I share with you your misticism about recipies that call for specific
peppers and then some sort of chile powder. I guess I'm hoping to
start some kind of revolution. When you call for pepper, you must
specify which pepper or reasonable substitution for the pepper of
your choice. If you need to call out a blend, then parenthacize the
contents of the blend. (My blend ain't your blend, ain't their blend)

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Sqwertz > typed:
>> On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:34:30 -0400, m.a.w. wrote:
>>
>>> Ingredients:
>>> 1 cup cider vinegar
>>> 2 tablespoons salt
>>> 1 tablespoon brown sugar
>>> 1 teaspoon cayenne
>>> 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
>>> Preparation:
>>>
>>> Mix all ingredients together. Let stand as long as possible, at least
>>> 1/2 a day, but the longer the better.

>> The first recipe is defective; It has way too much salt. Compare it
>> the amount of salt in the second and third recipes. That recipe
>> makes a finished product that is a full 15% salt in relation to all
>> the other ingredients.
>>
>> If your butt needs that much salt and vinegar, then something else
>> is wrong.
>>
>> -sw

> Maybe he meant teaspoons. Still it seems like a lot of salt to me too. I
> generally don't salt much of anything except meat rubs until I have tasted
> the concoction without any salt. Some people say you don't get the same
> flavor if you add salt it later, but I don't agree. The only exception
> really are foods that have to be cooked by absorbing water, like pasta. If
> you want to add salt to the flavor of pasta, it needs to go into the water
> in which it is boiled. Other than that, by the time I get something
> seasoned, the amount of salt I need to add to get it right is very small, or
> none.
>
> MartyB in KC

Typo! teaspoon, oooops

--
m.a.w.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 28 May 2009 19:31:06 -0400, piedmont wrote:

> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>> In ,
>> Sqwertz > typed:

>>> The first recipe is defective; It has way too much salt. Compare it
>>> the amount of salt in the second and third recipes. That recipe
>>> makes a finished product that is a full 15% salt in relation to all
>>> the other ingredients.
>>>
>>> If your butt needs that much salt and vinegar, then something else
>>> is wrong.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Maybe he meant teaspoons. Still it seems like a lot of salt to me too. I
>> generally don't salt much of anything except meat rubs until I have tasted
>> the concoction without any salt. Some people say you don't get the same
>> flavor if you add salt it later, but I don't agree. The only exception
>> really are foods that have to be cooked by absorbing water, like pasta. If
>> you want to add salt to the flavor of pasta, it needs to go into the water
>> in which it is boiled. Other than that, by the time I get something
>> seasoned, the amount of salt I need to add to get it right is very small, or
>> none.
>>
>> MartyB in KC
>>

> Typo! teaspoon, oooops

Actually, that same recipe is floating around the net in at least a
dozen web sites, and it does say "Tablespoons". It's on about.com
like that as well.

Somebody bumped their head, if you ask me.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 28-May-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> In ster.com,
> Brick > typed:
>

> ---clipping it down---------

> What bugs me more is when I read a recipe in a cookbook that calls for
> "pepper" and then "dried pepper" or "red pepper" or "pepper flakes" in
> combinations of two or more of these. It just doesn't make any sense at
> all.
> Perhaps some of the pro chefs could tell us what they think those various
> terms mean, exactly. I mean, you can have the dried flakes, italian
> style,
> or you can take cayenne peppers and do the same things... what do these
> folks mean in their recipes, especially when you see more than one of
> these
> items in the same recipe?
>
> MartyB in KC

Thanks for the elaboration Marty. That pretty well mirrors my thoughts on
the subject. I'm quite a fan of all things spicy, but particularly chili
peppers
and hot sauces. I'm trying hard to familiarize myself with a few of the
basic
ones and their individual contribution the the final flavor of a dish. I
don't
buy "Chile Powder". I do buy a lot of specific chili via internet from
"Sweet Freedom Farm" in Albequerqe, NM. The peppers I use most are
Ancho, New Mexican Red, Serrano and Chipotle. I also use red pepper
flakes by Badia, but I have yet to find out exactly what it is. I do know
that
it's not good to get a whiff up the nose. I often get some in the air when
shaking it on food at the table. It's an attention getter.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Brick > typed:

> >> Here is the recipe I use. [ . . . ]

> But I am always mystified when I see recipes like that calling for
> crushed red pepper, and red pepper, plus some sort of chile powder. I see
> it all the time and I have no idea what to make of it.

Crushed red pepper is Italian Pepperoncillo or Thai Prik Bon. Red pepper is
usually Cayenne.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> You can make your own chipotle in a smoker if you just have access to red
> ripe jalapenos. Smoke them until they are wrinkly and brownish, or until
> your fire runs out, and then finish them off in a dehydrator, or just in the
> hot sun on dry towels or paper towels. If you don't use a dehydrator you
> need to be sure the sun is hot enough to dry them out before they spoil.

Have you found a difference using red japs over green? So far I haven't,
but I might need to find a better supplier or something.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
>> You can make your own chipotle in a smoker if you just have access to red
>> ripe jalapenos. Smoke them until they are wrinkly and brownish, or until
>> your fire runs out, and then finish them off in a dehydrator, or just
>> in the
>> hot sun on dry towels or paper towels. If you don't use a dehydrator you
>> need to be sure the sun is hot enough to dry them out before they spoil.

> Have you found a difference using red japs over green? So far I haven't,
> but I might need to find a better supplier or something.

I know red jalapenos are miles ahead of green ones when they're raw, but I
suspect when you smoke them to death it would be pretty hard to tell.
Technically, they should be red jalapenos IMO. But there's a lot of
confusion out there between the morita, mora, and chipotle chiles.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> RegForte > typed:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>
>>> You can make your own chipotle in a smoker if you just have access
>>> to red ripe jalapenos. Smoke them until they are wrinkly and
>>> brownish, or until your fire runs out, and then finish them off in a
>>> dehydrator, or just in the hot sun on dry towels or paper towels. If
>>> you don't use a dehydrator you need to be sure the sun is hot enough
>>> to dry them out before they spoil.

>> Have you found a difference using red japs over green? So far I
>> haven't, but I might need to find a better supplier or something.

> Most definitely. You don't get the same flavor from most peppers in green
> (unripe) state vs ripe (usually red but not always) state. Your sweet red
> and yellow bells, for example, start off looking like any green bell pepper.
> If the greens you see on the shelf had been left alone on the plants long
> enough to color up, they would be red. Once ripened, almost all peppers are
> enhanced in flavor, in particular, sweetness. Try roasting and peeling a
> green and red bell pepper some time, and notice the diff. There is nothing
> quite like roasted red sweet pepper and you'll immediately agree the green
> is something different.
>
> Same with jalapenos. They are sweeter and more flavorful when ripe, and make
> a much better chipotle. The dried ones on the market often seem to be made
> from greens, going by the color, but that is to save money because it's
> cheaper to buy or produce the green ones. However when I buy chipotle powder
> at my favorite seed and spice store (www.plantersseed.com) it is an
> obviously red powder, not from greens. And the canned chipotles in adobo are
> always red. They wouldn't taste the same if they were green.
>
> If you want a better supplier for the powder, try the planters link. They
> can probably order it for you whole as well.
>
> MartyB in KC

I'll chip in with a source for awesome green chile powder - which
definitely has its place too.

http://www.nmcchile.com/

http://newmexicanconnection.com/cata...hp?cPath=47_49

And they've got a smokin' good chipotle powder too:

http://www.newmexicanconnection.com/...hp?cPath=47_51
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Sqwertz > typed:

>>> Typo! teaspoon, oooops

>> Actually, that same recipe is floating around the net in at least a
>> dozen web sites, and it does say "Tablespoons". It's on about.com
>> like that as well.
>>
>> Somebody bumped their head, if you ask me.
>>
>> -sw

> A bad recipe on about.com? Whoodathunkit?
>
> MartyB

Those guys are weird.

I've found some perfect recipes there and also stuff that looks like it
was concocted by a high school chem lab...just no consistency.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 29-May-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> In ster.com,
> Brick > typed:
> > On 28-May-2009, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> >
> >> In ster.com,
> >> Brick > typed:

.. . .

> Yeah, little chipotle powder in the air has a dramatic effect too!
>
> You can make your own chipotle in a smoker if you just have access to red
> ripe jalapenos. Smoke them until they are wrinkly and brownish, or until
> your fire runs out, and then finish them off in a dehydrator, or just in
> the
> hot sun on dry towels or paper towels. If you don't use a dehydrator you
> need to be sure the sun is hot enough to dry them out before they spoil.
>
> MartyB in KC

I hear you Marty, but I just can't get fired up to make my own when I can
get it so cheap on the internet. The stuff I get is really nice and just
$5.50
for a half pound. Since I usually buy three or four spices at a time, the
shipping doesn't hurt me all that much.

--
Brick (http://www.sweetfreedomfarm.com/powders.html)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Yeah, little chipotle powder in the air has a dramatic effect too!

I just made up a big batch of my rub. The whole batch was just over 5#,
and that's without any salt. I don't fiddle with salt and pepper in the
rub, since I put them on separately. To mix it, I used a beater from
the kitchen and my DeWalt drill, being very careful to 1) do it outside
and, 2) to wear a painter's respirator to avoid inhaling the dust.

Things went just peachy. I brought the big tub back inside and began
packaging the rub in 4 oz Foodsaver bags, with some 12 oz sizes as well.
I learned long ago that you keep some small bags around for when a
guest asks you "for a little to take home." All went into the freezer,
of course.

Well, about Midnight, I noticed that my face felt like I'd gotten a
little sunburn. By morning, it was burning like I'd gotten a really
good sunburn AND I woke up with the sore throat from Hell. What I'd
failed to do was to shower before going to bed, and the dust that had
been in my hair or on my skin got onto the pillowcase. The bride told me
that the bed had smelled to her like fresh rub when she went to bed and
that she also had a sore throat by morning.

I had my morning shower, and we stripped and washed the bedding. That
seemed to do the trick, but i caution any of you that if you get pretty
vigorous mixing rub or applying it, that you should consider washing it
off your skin or clothes when practical.

--
Nonny
'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties

Thomas Jefferson, 1802
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte > wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>
> > You can make your own chipotle in a smoker if you just have access to
> > red ripe jalapenos. Smoke them until they are wrinkly and brownish, or
> > until your fire runs out, and then finish them off in a dehydrator, or
> > just in the hot sun on dry towels or paper towels. If you don't use a
> > dehydrator you need to be sure the sun is hot enough to dry them out
> > before they spoil.

> Have you found a difference using red japs over green? So far I haven't,
> but I might need to find a better supplier or something.

BBQ (Rick) makes a 'Chipotle powder using many different kinds of chile
peppers. He smoke dries them over charcoal and hardwoods. Great smokey,
rich and HOT flavor. Good in soups, salsa and on pizza, too.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 29 May 2009 10:49:10 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> In ,
> Sqwertz > typed:

>>> Typo! teaspoon, oooops

>> Actually, that same recipe is floating around the net in at least a
>> dozen web sites, and it does say "Tablespoons". It's on about.com
>> like that as well.
>>
>> Somebody bumped their head, if you ask me.

> A bad recipe on about.com? Whoodathunkit?

This is why the best cooking information and recipes are from
old-fashioned cookbooks.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:57:22 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Sqwertz > typed:
>> On Fri, 29 May 2009 10:49:10 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>
>>> In ,
>>> Sqwertz > typed:

>>> A bad recipe on about.com? Whoodathunkit?

>> This is why the best cooking information and recipes are from
>> old-fashioned cookbooks.
>>
>> -sw

>Joy of Cooking for example... I have three versions, oldest is 1976 I think,
>but would like to find even older ones. The later version had some issues
>with indexing and reference that sucked, but still is a very good reference,
>just not quite as complete as the older ones in describing ingredients and
>methods. Still, if a non-professional cook could only could have one
>cookbook ever, I would strongly recommend Joy.
>
>MartyB in KC

I have one of the old paperback sets, and feel very lucky to have it.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Sqwertz > typed:
> > On Fri, 29 May 2009 10:49:10 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> >> Sqwertz > typed:

> > This is why the best cooking information and recipes are from
> > old-fashioned cookbooks.
> >
> > -sw

> Joy of Cooking for example... I have three versions, oldest is 1976 []

In the back of my pantry, I just found a 1946 edition of Household
Magazine's "Searchlight Recipe Book," first printed in 1931. Recipes also
handwritten in it and many inserts. Must all be handled gently. So many
books, so little time.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 1-Jun-2009, Desideria > wrote:

> On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:57:22 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> > wrote:
>
> >In ,
> >Sqwertz > typed:

> >> This is why the best cooking information and recipes are from
> >> old-fashioned cookbooks.
> >>
> >> -sw

> >Joy of Cooking for example... I have three versions, oldest is 1976 I
> >think,
> >but would like to find even older ones. The later version had some
> >issues
> >with indexing and reference that sucked, but still is a very good
> >reference,
> >just not quite as complete as the older ones in describing ingredients
> >and
> >methods. Still, if a non-professional cook could only could have one
> >cookbook ever, I would strongly recommend Joy.
> >
> >MartyB in KC

> I have one of the old paperback sets, and feel very lucky to have it.
>

> Desideria

My "Joy Of Cooking" is '1964' and it indicates the first printing was
'1931'. It's as good now as it was 45 years ago.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Sqwertz > typed:
>> On Fri, 29 May 2009 10:49:10 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>
>>> In ,
>>> Sqwertz > typed:

>>> A bad recipe on about.com? Whoodathunkit?

>> This is why the best cooking information and recipes are from
>> old-fashioned cookbooks.
>>
>> -sw

> Joy of Cooking for example... I have three versions, oldest is 1976 I think,
> but would like to find even older ones. The later version had some issues
> with indexing and reference that sucked, but still is a very good reference,
> just not quite as complete as the older ones in describing ingredients and
> methods. Still, if a non-professional cook could only could have one
> cookbook ever, I would strongly recommend Joy.
>
> MartyB in KC

Strongly agree!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Nick Cramer > typed:
>> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
>>> Sqwertz > typed:

>>> Joy of Cooking for example... I have three versions, oldest is 1976
>>> []

>> In the back of my pantry, I just found a 1946 edition of Household
>> Magazine's "Searchlight Recipe Book," first printed in 1931. Recipes
>> also handwritten in it and many inserts. Must all be handled gently.
>> So many books, so little time.

> No kidding... I love cookbooks and lurk around garage and estate sales
> looking for them. At one time years ago some of my bookx were boxed up for a
> move and were water damaged... but I keep them nevertheless, even though
> many pages are stuck together. I don't know how to get them to release
> without tearing the pages.

One hint - a portable clothes steamer might work well.

In the past I've actually used a steam iron, carefully held, and had
some luck.

> But there are plenty that are in good condition. I've got, among other
> things, an old copy of Betty Crocker's Cookbook in a three ring binder.
> Original copyright 1969, twenty-sixth printing, 1976.
>
> My dad has a huge library which I maintain for him, including some really
> nice old cookbooks, and books specifically on barbecue, some local to KC.
>
> MartyB in KC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> In ,
> RegForte > typed:
> to dry them out before they spoil.
>>
>>Have you found a difference using red japs over green? So far I
>>haven't, but I might need to find a better supplier or something.

> Most definitely. You don't get the same flavor from most peppers in green
> (unripe) state vs ripe (usually red but not always) state. Your sweet red
> and yellow bells, for example, start off looking like any green bell pepper.
> If the greens you see on the shelf had been left alone on the plants long
> enough to color up, they would be red. Once ripened, almost all peppers are
> enhanced in flavor, in particular, sweetness. Try roasting and peeling a
> green and red bell pepper some time, and notice the diff. There is nothing
> quite like roasted red sweet pepper and you'll immediately agree the green
> is something different.
>
> Same with jalapenos. They are sweeter and more flavorful when ripe, and make
> a much better chipotle. The dried ones on the market often seem to be made
> from greens, going by the color, but that is to save money because it's
> cheaper to buy or produce the green ones. However when I buy chipotle powder
> at my favorite seed and spice store (www.plantersseed.com) it is an
> obviously red powder, not from greens. And the canned chipotles in adobo are
> always red. They wouldn't taste the same if they were green.
>
> If you want a better supplier for the powder, try the planters link. They
> can probably order it for you whole as well.

Thanks. I make my own ground chile powders of various sorts. I smoke/dry
peppers 4-5 lbs at a time in my cookshack. Can't stand the canned
chipotle in tomatos, and the decent off the shelf ground chipotles are
just ok.

Anyway, over the years I've done many tests of different japs.
Green vs Red, one supplier over another, etc. And so far no side by
side tests have shown any major difference... other than the
natural (wide) variation japs have in their heat level. No other
big differences.

Doesn't mean there isn't a difference, though. This could be one of those
times where I just haven't found the right source. You've convinced
me to keep trying. Thanks again.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 1, 11:07*am, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> At one time years ago some of my bookx were boxed up for a
> move and were water damaged... but I keep them nevertheless, even though
> many pages are stuck together. I don't know how to get them to release
> without tearing the pages.

Call your local antique dealers; they should be able to put you in
contact with a good book restorer who should be able to tell you how
to get the pages unstuck.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:13:12 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> wrote:

>In news >Desideria > typed:
>> On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:57:22 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> In ,
>>> Sqwertz > typed:

>>> Joy of Cooking for example... I have three versions, oldest is 1976
>>> I think, but would like to find even older ones. The later version
>>> had some issues with indexing and reference that sucked, but still
>>> is a very good reference, just not quite as complete as the older
>>> ones in describing ingredients and methods. Still, if a
>>> non-professional cook could only could have one cookbook ever, I
>>> would strongly recommend Joy.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC

>> I have one of the old paperback sets, and feel very lucky to have it.
>>

>> Desideria

>Cool, what is the copyright date on them?
>
>MartyB

It's a newbie set. 1974.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 1, 6:40*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> There is a jap cultivar called a Tam Jalapeno, a low heat jalapeno.

This must be a new cultivar since the only TAM jalapenos I know of
were developed by Texas A&M (TAM).

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 23:14:46 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
> wrote:

>In ,
>Desideria > typed:
>> On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 10:13:12 -0500, "Nunya Bidnits"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> In news >>> Desideria > typed:

>>> Cool, what is the copyright date on them?
>>>
>>> MartyB

>> It's a newbie set. 1974.
>>

>> Desideria

>Cool, I've got a hardback, 1976. It was a wedding gift for my first attempt
>at marriage. It's complete with an old electric stove coil burn on the
>cover.
>
>MartyB

good to have souvenirs. <g>

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 2, 11:13*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> > This must be a new cultivar since the only TAM jalapenos I know of
> > were developed by Texas A&M (TAM).

> That could be the same one. The only thing I know is that it's less hot than
> most Japs.

I think so. I grew some TAMs a few years ago and they were milder
than regular japalenos. I quit after that one time tho since the
seeds are hard to find.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 4, 10:48*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAM_Mild_Jalape%C3%B1o
> and for seedshttp://www.paseseeds.com/servlet/the-2422/PEPPER-HOT--dsh--TAM/Detail
> and
> The quirky but cool pepper happy Redwood City Seed Company athttp://www.ecoseeds.com/
>
> MartyB in KC

Cool. Thanks.

-frohe

How To Make Nutella At Home very easy Cooking7g General Cooking 6 01-08-2015 06:26 PM
How to make perfect eggs over easy? pamjd General Cooking 23 08-08-2007 10:04 PM
Easy to make snacks Dipsee Recipes 0 31-10-2006 09:49 AM
Easy to make Pancakes [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 20-04-2006 03:15 AM
Help need easy recipe to make for my family Kerry General Cooking 21 12-02-2005 02:55 PM