Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default What are you Q'ing for the long weekend?

I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
showing up.

My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
peach based dipping sauce. Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
Thanks
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

pamjd wrote:
> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
> make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> showing up.

My local market had a sale on spare ribs for $1.49/#. Came frozen in
cryovac. They look like St. Louis ribs to me. Nice and meaty. I'm going
to smoke them on my Brinkmann Gourmet bullet smoker with some hickory
chunks for flavor and serve them to company. I have two big racks that
should make 4 people very full. I'll make coleslaw, red potato salad and
maybe some beans ala Charra. I already have the pitcher of margaritas
and some beer.

I have a container of my home made BBQ sauce in the fridge.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 22, 7:23*pm, pamjd > wrote:
> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. *Not sure which to
> make this weeknd *I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> showing up.
>
> My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
> would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
> peach based dipping sauce. *Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
> Thanks

I'll likely be doing spares this weekend too. I've used peach wood
many times. It's very nice, altough rather mild in flavor.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Four day weekend for me. Today was hot dogs for lunch, grilled cod for
dinner. Not sure yet about tomorrow. Sunday will be rib eye roast on the
rotisseries, Monday pulled pork.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

jn wrote:
> On May 22, 7:23 pm, pamjd > wrote:
>> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
>> make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
>> showing up.
>>
>> My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
>> would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
>> peach based dipping sauce. Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
>> Thanks

> I'll likely be doing spares this weekend too. I've used peach wood
> many times. It's very nice, altough rather mild in flavor.

Peach is very nice, milder than apple, but very tasty!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> pamjd wrote:
> > I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
> > make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> > showing up.

> My local market had a sale on spare ribs for $1.49/#. Came frozen in
> cryovac. They look like St. Louis ribs to me. Nice and meaty. I'm going
> to smoke them on my Brinkmann Gourmet bullet smoker with some hickory
> chunks for flavor and serve them to company. I have two big racks that
> should make 4 people very full. I'll make coleslaw, red potato salad and
> maybe some beans ala Charra. I already have the pitcher of margaritas
> and some beer.
>
> I have a container of my home made BBQ sauce in the fridge.

Sounds like a fun happening, Janet. I hope you'll take a moment to remember
those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we could enjoy this weekend. I'll
drink to that.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

pamjd wrote:
> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
> make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> showing up.
>
> My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
> would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
> peach based dipping sauce. Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
> Thanks

Bought spare ribs which I'll trim in half, tips/ribs. Still have
tips/ribs in freezer from last cook out but what the heck, practice
makes perfect. Maybe even do a Puerto Rican Pork Shoulder for fiancee

--
m.a.w.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-May-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> pamjd wrote:
> > I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
> > make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> > showing up.

> My local market had a sale on spare ribs for $1.49/#. Came frozen in
> cryovac. They look like St. Louis ribs to me. Nice and meaty. I'm going
> to smoke them on my Brinkmann Gourmet bullet smoker with some hickory
> chunks for flavor and serve them to company. I have two big racks that
> should make 4 people very full. I'll make coleslaw, red potato salad and
> maybe some beans ala Charra. I already have the pitcher of margaritas
> and some beer.
>
> I have a container of my home made BBQ sauce in the fridge.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder

Good plan and great score on those ribs Janet. Best wishes for the
holiday weekend.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-May-2009, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

> Four day weekend for me. Today was hot dogs for lunch, grilled cod for
> dinner. Not sure yet about tomorrow. Sunday will be rib eye roast on the
>
> rotisseries, Monday pulled pork.

Seven day weekend for us retired folks Had panfried catfish with deep
fried fingerling potatoes last night. Dessert was candied (not candy)
apples.
Fixing roast beef tenderloin and stuffed poblano peppers for lunch today.
Cornbread stuffing for the peppers, featuring cornbread and trinity.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 22 May 2009 19:23:05 -0700 (PDT), pamjd wrote:

> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
> make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> showing up.
>
> My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
> would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
> peach based dipping sauce. Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
> Thanks

Just threw 4 racks of baby backs in the wsm....SWMBO likes the baby backs
better than spares, so we go back and forth....had a friend get me 8
lobsters at "boat price". The beer is cold!!
--
Oncler...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> Sounds like a fun happening, Janet. I hope you'll take a moment to remember
> those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we could enjoy this weekend. I'll
> drink to that.

I am the mother of a disabled American veteran. I never forget about
those serving in our armed forces. I pray that they all come home to
their families safely.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 22-May-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> pamjd wrote:
>>> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
>>> make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
>>> showing up.

>> My local market had a sale on spare ribs for $1.49/#. Came frozen in
>> cryovac. They look like St. Louis ribs to me. Nice and meaty. I'm going
>> to smoke them on my Brinkmann Gourmet bullet smoker with some hickory
>> chunks for flavor and serve them to company. I have two big racks that
>> should make 4 people very full. I'll make coleslaw, red potato salad and
>> maybe some beans ala Charra. I already have the pitcher of margaritas
>> and some beer.
>>
>> I have a container of my home made BBQ sauce in the fridge.
>>

>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> Good plan and great score on those ribs Janet. Best wishes for the
> holiday weekend.

Same to you, Brick.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Oncler wrote:

> Just threw 4 racks of baby backs in the wsm....SWMBO likes the baby backs
> better than spares, so we go back and forth....had a friend get me 8
> lobsters at "boat price". The beer is cold!!

I don't do the baby backs on the smoker. They don't seem to have enough
meat and/or fat for really slow cooking. I'll do the baby backs on the
gas grill offset from the heat, but I like the uglier ribs on the smoker.

You aren't going to Q those lobsters, are you?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
>
> > Sounds like a fun happening, Janet. I hope you'll take a moment to
> > remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we could enjoy this
> > weekend. I'll drink to that.

> I am the mother of a disabled American veteran. I never forget about
> those serving in our armed forces. I pray that they all come home to
> their families safely.

Janet, I apologize. I didn't know. Please thank your son or daughter for
me. Thank you, too, for being a good Mother and a good American. Enjoy!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Nick Cramer wrote:
>>
>>> Sounds like a fun happening, Janet. I hope you'll take a moment to
>>> remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice so we could enjoy this
>>> weekend. I'll drink to that.

>> I am the mother of a disabled American veteran. I never forget about
>> those serving in our armed forces. I pray that they all come home to
>> their families safely.

> Janet, I apologize. I didn't know. Please thank your son or daughter for
> me. Thank you, too, for being a good Mother and a good American. Enjoy!

No need to apologize. Even though he's 30% disabled, he's adapted well
to civilian life.

Don't thank me too much. I was not a happy mother when he enlisted.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. Not sure which to
>make this weeknd I guess it depends which friends are going to be
>showing up.
>
>My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
>would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
>peach based dipping sauce. Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
>Thanks

I have used peach several times in the past, from the same source as
yours. We had about 10 peach trees that died over a period of a couple
of years, winters just too harsh here I guess. It is very nice but,
even milder than apple.
Our long week-end here in Canada was last week-end and I did two whole
pork loins, slathered in CYM as a base for Wild Willy's Number
One-Derful rub. Used a mixture of hickory and cherry for the smoke.
Rave reviews from all who sampled.

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:

> >> I am the mother of a disabled American veteran. I never forget about
> >> those serving in our armed forces. I pray that they all come home to
> >> their families safely.

> > Janet, I apologize. I didn't know. Please thank your son or daughter
> > for me. Thank you, too, for being a good Mother and a good American.
> > Enjoy!

> No need to apologize. Even though he's 30% disabled, he's adapted well
> to civilian life.
>
> Don't thank me too much. I was not a happy mother when he enlisted.

It sounds like you're a proud Mother now. I'm less of a jerk than I used to
be. ;-?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 23 May 2009 15:03:49 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Oncler wrote:
>
>> Just threw 4 racks of baby backs in the wsm....SWMBO likes the baby backs
>> better than spares, so we go back and forth....had a friend get me 8
>> lobsters at "boat price". The beer is cold!!

> I don't do the baby backs on the smoker. They don't seem to have enough
> meat and/or fat for really slow cooking. I'll do the baby backs on the
> gas grill offset from the heat, but I like the uglier ribs on the smoker.
>
> You aren't going to Q those lobsters, are you?

Lobsters got a boiling water bath :-)
--
Oncler...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 22, 9:23*pm, pamjd > wrote:
> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. *Not sure which to
> make this weeknd *I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> showing up.
>
> My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
> would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
> peach based dipping sauce. *Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
> Thanks

No cooking q for us. Got a judging gig today, serving up the gang of
4. (Don't want to OD or get burnt out.)
Last night was blt's, and wings on Friday.
Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

My in-laws purchased a 15lb brisket from Sam's Club as asked that a
cook it. I am gladly obliging them.
The sauce is made, the brisket has been trimmed & divided (point from
flat) and rubbed.

I bought a 15lb bag of Stubbs lump charcoal... (we'll see how this
is.. it was priced way better than Cowboy lump @ Lowes) to add to my
supply of Kingsford Charwood lump (which isn't all bad).

I cleaned the pit inside and out with Simple Green. Then, dried it out
with a small fire and hit a few of the rust spots on the outside with
some heat resistant paint.

The pit is now sitting on a level base of some concrete block caps I
dug in the ground. Not much level around these parts.

Queing will commence in the early morning.

Thanks to all those who serve and have served in the military. I
wouldn't be free to do this without you guys and gals.

Also, thanks to you current and dearly departed AFBers for all the
advice and support since I started queing in '02.

Q 4 all, so long as it's not parboiled ribs!

Rob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 22, 7:23*pm, pamjd > wrote:
> I got 10lb of pork spareribs and a 8lb pork roast. *Not sure which to
> make this weeknd *I guess it depends which friends are going to be
> showing up.

So - what did you cook?

On a bit of a whim, I picked-up three pork butts on Friday, around 18
lbs of meat.
Called up family and friends for an informal get-together and started
the cooker
Sunday night around 645pm. Plan was to work on my competition pork.
Let the DigiQ do the work and went to bed.

Got up around 530am to mop and wrap the butts.

Cooked two butts to tender-sliceable 192F (was aiming at 190F but it
almost
got away from me around 7am). Last butt came in at 200F for pulling
near 8am.
Held 'em until 1230pm or so, pulled the puller, looked/tasted great.

Plucked the money muscle out of one slicer and managed to slice it,
very
gently, into six slices. I'm still learning what competition pork is
all about,
but, damn, this was a fine new experience. Little mouth-melting
medallions.

The puller was eaten. I'm vacu-packing one slicer for a rainy day,
and
one butt will be snack food this week.

> My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
> would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
> peach based dipping sauce. *Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
> Thanks

Never used peach wood, but conventional wisdom is that all fruit wood
is generally good to very good. A lot of people swear by apple wood,
peach
should be fine. Did you season it?

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dana K6JQ" > wrote in message
On May 22, 7:23 pm, pamjd > wrote:
> My peach tree died this winter, not sure why, but I was thinking I
> would cut it up and use it in the kamado with something with pork and
> peach based dipping sauce. Has anyone used peach wood so smoke with?
> Thanks

Never used peach wood, but conventional wisdom is that all fruit wood
is generally good to very good. A lot of people swear by apple wood,
peach
should be fine. Did you season it?

Ever hear of a restaurant or a Competition cook team called "Jack's Old
South"? Peach wood is all that they cook with. I'd tell you how they start
their fires, but nobody would believe me.
Good luck with it.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 25, 9:39*pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
> On May 22, 7:23*pm, pamjd > wrote:

> Plucked the money muscle out of one slicer and managed to slice it,
> very gently, into six slices. *I'm still learning what competition pork is
> all about, but, damn, this was a fine new experience. *Little mouth-melting
> medallions.

BTW, If anyone cares, here's a flickr link to photos of
Monday's supper:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7618718387209/

Eat well,
Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana K6JQ wrote:
> On May 25, 9:39 pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
>> On May 22, 7:23 pm, pamjd > wrote:

>> Plucked the money muscle out of one slicer and managed to slice it,
>> very gently, into six slices. I'm still learning what competition pork is
>> all about, but, damn, this was a fine new experience. Little mouth-melting
>> medallions.

> BTW, If anyone cares, here's a flickr link to photos of
> Monday's supper:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7618718387209/
>
> Eat well,
> Dana

Awesome looking muscle, heckuva ring.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 26, 1:46*pm, Cleatarrior > wrote:
> Dana K6JQ wrote:
> > On May 25, 9:39 pm, Dana K6JQ > wrote:
> >> On May 22, 7:23 pm, pamjd > wrote:

> >> Plucked the money muscle out of one slicer and managed to slice it,
> >> very gently, into six slices. *I'm still learning what competition pork is
> >> all about, but, damn, this was a fine new experience. *Little mouth-melting
> >> medallions.

> > BTW, If anyone cares, here's a flickr link to photos of
> > Monday's supper:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/3198909...7618718387209/

> > Eat well,
> > Dana

> Awesome looking muscle, heckuva ring.

Thank you kindly. Smoke-wood was a handful of small oak chunks and
hickory chunks.
That meat didn't last long once guests started arriving.

Dana