Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Eureka 4870DT Upright Vacuum

List Price:$199.99
Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000063UZS
Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000063UZS

Eureka uprights are nearly permanent fixture in Consumer Reports best buy category. This is my third in 20 plus years . They keep improving them this one is quieter with a stronger brush. My last one lasted 10 plus years (World Vac) and I vac 3 times per week a 2500 square ft home average 1000 sq ft per time. I am old enough to remember bags were a step forward from the bag less, they still are in my opinion. Uprights have always cleaned carpet better than canisters, as the vacuum motor is closer to what you are cleaning there is little loss of suction as with a hose. Even if the hose has a power head they do not come close to an upright in actual rug cleaning power. The lower cost of Eureka uprights allow you to more easily replace them when they wear out. Much more cost effective. When you first start using your Eureka you will be surprised how fast the bags fill up. This is because of all the dirt your other vacuum have been leaving behind. The rate of bag usage will drop as your carpet becomes cleaner. I was stunned when I switched from my canister vac to my Eureka upright. It is hard to find a upright that uses bags in the stores as bagless are in right now. They have to be emptied out side which is tough if you live in an apartment. The bagless probably clean just as well as the bag version but I have not used that kind since the sixties.
I purchased this vacuum from Amazon about 3 years ago based on the Consumer Reports recommendation. I absolutely loved this vacuum when I first used it because it has unbelievable suction power. I had just vacuumed the entire house with my old Kenmore upright (bagged) vac, I just wanted to do a test run to see how well the Eureka Whirlwind ran. Well this vac just pulled dirt and cat fur right out of the carpet that honestly appeared to be clean. Since we had 4 cats in our house, I was hooked on this vacuum! I had read on here about the belt break issue and it took some time before I did break a belt. I think I'm on the 5th or 6th belt now after 3 years, and yes, they were difficult to find. The breaks seem to happen quite easily if you happen to suck up something you shoudn't such as rug fringe or the bed skirt. It does have amazing power and it will pull things, such as drapes, into it if you get too close, and that will break the belt or at least weaken it so it will break in the near future.The only other reason I hate this vac is because when I was pregnant my Mom decided she would vacuum my house for me while I was gone. She couldn't get the handle release pressed down hard enough with her foot and she somehow broke it off while trying to force the vacuum to release. So that ruined my wonderful vacuum. I have not tried to have it fixed yet so I'm not sure if it can be fixed. I do still use it out of necessity, but now it really is like trying to push a bag of concrete across the carpet. The release lever must also regulate the height of the vac so now it hugs the floor so closely that the beater brush cannot even rotate at all, unless I have the handle completely upright and just lightly guide it across the carpet. It looks ridiculous, but it works. Yet even in it's current state, I must say this vac STILL collects an enormous amount of dirt and fur. I am currently researching my next vacuum purchase and I'm pretty sure it will be another Eureka product. I love the performance and power of this vacuum but I hate the cheap plastic it's made with, and the weak belts.
The Eureka 4870 is consistently rated very highly by Consumer Reports. I am still scratching my head trying to understand why. There are certain vacuum cleaners that are brought in for repair that I can guess what the problem is before the customer tells me. This is one of those machines. This vacuum cleaner is our number 1 repair customer. The Eureka 4870 is brought in for repair MORE THEN ANY OTHER VACUUM CLEANER. The only reason I have given this vacuum 2 stars, is because when this vacuum is working, it actually does clean very well, however the number of times you will have to bring the vacuum in for service, outweighs how well it cleans. Let me first tell you about the Pros to the Eureka 4870, as this can be summed up with a few sentences. Pros: The Eureka 4870 motor actually is a very high output motor, and creates a decent amount of suction power. The motor is the only metal component to the vacuum, and is the only part on this vacuum that I have never seen problems with, or had to replace. The vacuum has a nice selection of on-board attachments. Included is a nice on board hose, an extra wand for above the floor cleaning, a nice long crevice tool for those hard to reach nooks and crannies, a dusting brush, as well as an upholstery tool. The "power paw" (as standard attachment on the 4870HZ) attachment leaves a lot to be desired, as most of the time the rotating brush driven by suction stops as soon as you put it on upholstery, or stairs. The electrical cord on this vacuum is a nice long 30 foot cord, allowing you to be able to clean more square footage without having to go and unplug the machine from room to room. This feature will actually save you substantial time on vacuuming. The vacuum bag is a "top fill" bag. This means that the hole where the dirt goes into fills from the very top of the bag, allowing you to really jam pack the dirt in the bag, and filling the entire bag before there's any suction loss. A lot of other vacuums have the hold on the side of the bag, which is really pointless, as you have to throw away the bag before it's completely full. The price is probably the best feature on this vacuum. For right around $150, the machine is very affordable, and feature packed for this price. You do get what you pay for in terms of quality. Cons: Weighing in at 25 pounds, this machine is VERY heavy. If you have multiple floors, and you have to take the vacuum up and down the stairs, you will surely hate this vacuum after the first few times of carrying it up and down stairs. The carrying handle is not very conveniently placed either, causing the customer to have to pick up the machine by the handle which makes it seem even more heavy. The Eureka R belt "Extended Life Belt". The belt on this machine was a new design by Eureka. The belt is actually not made of rubber like most belts. It is actually a plastic belt. Eureka claims that this belt is "Extended life" however some of my customers are replacing this belt 3-4 times a year. If you vacuum anything that gets stuck in the roller brush while vacuuming, the belt usually stretches to a point where the brush will not spin, or if it does spin, it will spin very slowly, and sometimes even stop as soon as you put it on the carpet. The roller brush itself. A typical Eureka roller brush, this roller brush (sometimes referred to as a "beater bar") has two PLASTIC bearing caps on each side. If something is vacuumed up into the brush while it's spinning, a lot of the times, the brush bearing caps will actually melt! Eureka does not sell these caps separately either, and you'll have to purchase the entire roller brush assembly if this happens. Do not expect to get any more the 1 year out of the roller brush before some melting happens. The plastic bearing caps are not sealed either. If you have pets in the house, or females (some males are also included) that have very long hair, this hair will get inside the bearing of the roller brush shortening the life even more. One way to prevent this from happening is take the roller brush out, taking the bearing caps off, and remove the hair, thread, etc that has wrapped itself around the bearings. You should do this every 2 weeks for best results. The dreaded Carpet/Floor switch. Out of all the problems this machine has, this is by far the most common. Not only is the most common, it can also be the most expensive, as the amount of time and labor that it takes to replace the switch is very difficult, and you will have to take it in to a local repair shop to fix it. If you talk to any independent vacuum store, and ask them about this repair, 9 times out of 10 you they will tell you how difficult of a repair it really is. This is my least favorite repair to do out of ANY VACUUM CLEANER. You basically have to take the entire roller brush housing apart, and fight with a spring to fix it. The design on this switch is the problem. If a customer does decide to purchase this vacuum from me (I certainly don't recommend it) I always open the machine, assemble it, and I always test the machine before the customer leaves my store. I have opened probably 10-15 of these machines brand new out of the box, only to test it, and find that the Carpet/Floor switch is broken. Brand new out of the box there should never be any problems. The last issue on this vacuum is the filtration. Eureka claims that this machine is "True HEPA filtration" vacuum. I have found this to be more like a "False HEPA filtration" vacuum. One of the many cool gadgets we have to diagnose and test vacuum cleaners is what's called a Particle Scanner. This very expensive machine will actually measure with lasers how many fine dust particles are leaking from a vacuum per minute of use. I measured the Eureka 4870 like I do all vacuums I sell. This machine registered 25,000+ fine dust particles per minute of use being leaked out of this machine. Now this number is definitely lower then any bagless machine on the market, however for Eureka to claim that this machine will help allergy and asthma sufferers is just false. If you own this vacuum try vacuuming in the sunlight, and you can actually see some of the larger micron dust exhausting from the machine. This is only the larger particles you can see. The most damaging particles to humans are the ones that are not visible to the naked eye. If you or your family has any breathing issues such as Asthma, Emphysema, or allergies, please beware of this vacuum. You can kind of tell the quality of a vacuum cleaner by the warranty the manufacturer will give you. The Eureka 4870 has a 1 year parts and labor (required by the government, I'm sure they would give less if they could). Consumer Reports loves this vacuum, but as a vacuum repairman, I would tell anyone that asked me to STAY AWAY FROM THIS VACUUM CLEANER.
I bought this vacuum over 3 years ago on Amazon. It still works great. This vacuum has excellent suction... the best suction of any of my previous vacuums. I am still on the original belt. I have 3 cats and long hair, and it powers through it all. Just be sure to give your roller a haircut every so often if you have long hair, just like you would with any vacuum. It is a bit heavy, but it's manageable. I am able to carry it up and down the stairs just fine. I am very happy with my purchase and highly recommend this vacuum.
This vac really diggs deep into the carpet. The only problem was the toggle to release the handle to vacuum. You have to press very hard and it's made of plastic. I have a concern that it might break. I have been using it for a year and a half without problems. A good buy.
Equipped with a true HEPA filter, this 1,440-watt upright vacuum cleans a 15-inch path illuminated by a headlight and keeps the dust down at the same time. The HEPA filter is at least 99.97 percent effective at trapping particles as small as 0.3 microns. Another filter protects the motor. The vacuum has a stretch hose that gives tangle-free reach to its onboard tools (an upholstery nozzle, a dusting brush, and a crevice tool). Seven height settings adjust its brush roll for different carpets and rugs, as well as for a bare floor. The vacuum has a 30-foot power cord, weighs 21 pounds, and stands 45 inches high. It assembles quickly and easily with three screws (included) and comes with a one-year warranty against defects.
Equipped with a true HEPA filter, this 1,440-watt upright vacuum cleans a 15-inch path illuminated by a headlight and keeps the dust down at the same time. The HEPA filter is at least 99.97 percent effective at trapping particles as small as 0.3 microns. Another filter protects the motor. The vacuum has a stretch hose that gives tangle-free reach to its onboard tools (an upholstery nozzle, a dusting brush, and a crevice tool). Seven height settings adjust its brush roll for different carpets and rugs, as well as for a bare floor. The vacuum has a 30-foot power cord, weighs 21 pounds, and stands 45 inches high. It assembles quickly and easily with three screws (included) and comes with a one-year warranty against defects. --Fred Brack

SIMILAR PRODUCTS:

Eureka Upright Style RR Vacuum Bags Microfiltration with Closure - 9 Pack:http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000RS0COO
Eureka 61495 Replacement Washable HEPA Filter:http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B0009GZLTA
Eureka 61111B HF-2 with Arm and Hammer:http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000F6U5NG

Eureka sf[_9_] General Cooking 40 04-10-2013 09:40 PM
Advantages of Vacuum Sealing vs non vacuum Sealerdave General Cooking 4 14-09-2009 06:28 PM
Eureka 96 B Quick Up Upright Cordless Stick Vacuum [email protected] Diabetic 0 22-05-2009 01:43 PM
Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears? John Decker Preserving 3 05-07-2004 08:06 PM
Vacuum sealed plastic bag of fresh cream peas in refrigerator---Vacuum disappears? John Decker Cooking Equipment 1 02-07-2004 04:44 AM