Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Jake's "Smokehouse" in Virginia Beach, VA

I could not believe how tasteless the meat was at Jake's "Smokehouse"
in VB.
Nice service, quick kitchen, decent price for a pitcher of beer, too
bad there's
no barbecue there.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana wrote:
> I could not believe how tasteless the meat was at Jake's "Smokehouse"
> in VB.
> Nice service, quick kitchen, decent price for a pitcher of beer, too
> bad there's
> no barbecue there.
>
> Dana

This is the first time I ever heard anything good about Jakes. Never been there
because the word of mouth was always so bad.

Now Wood Chicks and Pierces Pitt. Those are good.

Chris
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 14, 3:00*pm, Chris > wrote:
> Dana wrote:
> > I could not believe how tasteless the meat was at Jake's "Smokehouse"
> > in VB.
> > Nice service, quick kitchen, decent price for a pitcher of beer, too
> > bad there's
> > no barbecue there.

> > Dana

> This is the first time I ever heard anything good about Jakes. Never been there
> because the word of mouth was always so bad.

Heh, did I really say anything _good_ about Jake's?

> Now Wood Chicks and Pierces Pitt. Those are good.

I'll have to try Pierce's next time; Wood Chicks was certainly
worthwhile. It amazes me, really amazes me, that there are
people on tripadvisor raving about Jake's (!) and complaining
about Wood Chicks (!). Obviously they have no idea what
'cue is.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dana K6JQ wrote:
> On May 14, 3:00 pm, Chris > wrote:
>> Dana wrote:
>>> I could not believe how tasteless the meat was at Jake's "Smokehouse"
>>> in VB.
>>> Nice service, quick kitchen, decent price for a pitcher of beer, too
>>> bad there's
>>> no barbecue there.
>>> Dana

>> This is the first time I ever heard anything good about Jakes. Never been there
>> because the word of mouth was always so bad.

> Heh, did I really say anything _good_ about Jake's?

Cheap Beer!!!

>> Now Wood Chicks and Pierces Pitt. Those are good.

> I'll have to try Pierce's next time; Wood Chicks was certainly
> worthwhile. It amazes me, really amazes me, that there are
> people on tripadvisor raving about Jake's (!) and complaining
> about Wood Chicks (!). Obviously they have no idea what
> 'cue is.
>
> Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Nunya Bidnits > wrote:

> So anyway I am not the least bit amazed when I hear that people from any
> part of this great nation haven't the slightest clue as to what constitutes
> good barbecue.

My kids have gone to barbecue competitions since they were barely able to
talk. We live in New England, not exactly known as a mecca of good Q.

Once, when my older son was about 10, we went to Chilis. He wanted the
Baby Back Ribs. I tries to tell him that they were unlikely to be what
he thought of as "BBQ ribs", but he really wanted them, and he ordered
them anyways.

When they came, he tried them, and then he wouldn't eat them. We sent
them back and got him a burger.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> > typed:
>> In alt.food.barbecue, Nunya Bidnits > wrote:
>>
>>> So anyway I am not the least bit amazed when I hear that people from
>>> any part of this great nation haven't the slightest clue as to what
>>> constitutes good barbecue.

>> My kids have gone to barbecue competitions since they were barely
>> able to talk. We live in New England, not exactly known as a mecca
>> of good Q.
>>
>> Once, when my older son was about 10, we went to Chilis. He wanted
>> the Baby Back Ribs. I tries to tell him that they were unlikely to
>> be what he thought of as "BBQ ribs", but he really wanted them, and
>> he ordered them anyways.
>>
>> When they came, he tried them, and then he wouldn't eat them. We sent
>> them back and got him a burger.

> Amen. Processed in a machine that spits a little smoke from burnt sawdust,
> cryo'd, frozen, warehoused forever, thawed and heated at a restaurant while
> being boiled in sickly sweet goo isn't barbecue. Good for you for not
> letting your kid grow up deprived.
>
> MartyB in KC
> raised on KC barbecue, real chocolate malts, and a good red hot or
> knackwurst here and there

Any votes on national-regional chains ribs?

I've had Famous Daves' - not too bad, certainly a leg up on those Chilis
faux things.

Tony Romas - gag! Where's the smoke?

Best ever - The County Line. The baby backs are sublime and the cowboy
beans are totally addictive.

http://www.countyline.com/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Amen. Processed in a machine that spits a little smoke from burnt sawdust,
> cryo'd, frozen, warehoused forever, thawed and heated at a restaurant while
> being boiled in sickly sweet goo isn't barbecue. Good for you for not
> letting your kid grow up deprived.

Marty, long ago, Mrs. Nonny and I lived in a city that was dominated by
a large meat processing company. The company was family owned, third
generation, in fact. Besides box beef and pork, they produced bologna,
sausages, hot dogs and many smoked meats. The third generation son of
the founder ran the company and later became a stockholder in my own
company. I got to know him to the point where our families would go
sailing together. Several things I learned from him:

He and his kids all grew up on the family product. It was as good and
pure as they could make it.
He was proud of how they worked, did engineering and maintained a large
testing and tasting division for their smoked products.
He would privately acknowledge that nothing was better than home smoked
meat and was a KC and Memphis dry rib fan.
His company's cryovac ribs were sold in many stores and commercially and
might be like the ones mentioned in this thread. However, what they
produced was the result of one heck of a lot of work, research and
particularly taste tests both in house and at events.
They also sold a cryovac ribeye roast that was very close to one done in
the restaurant.

My reaction is like his: sure, they're not as good as something you'd
get at Ocey Bruner's back when Ocey was alive and the ribs weren't like
Rudy's or Red Hot and Blue, but they were as good as he could make them,
used good pork ribs and were the result of a lot of good effort.

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> In ,
> Cleatarrior > typed:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> In ,

>>> Amen. Processed in a machine that spits a little smoke from burnt
>>> sawdust, cryo'd, frozen, warehoused forever, thawed and heated at a
>>> restaurant while being boiled in sickly sweet goo isn't barbecue.
>>> Good for you for not letting your kid grow up deprived.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC
>>> raised on KC barbecue, real chocolate malts, and a good red hot or
>>> knackwurst here and there
>>>

>> Any votes on national-regional chains ribs?
>>
>> I've had Famous Daves' - not too bad, certainly a leg up on those
>> Chilis faux things.
>>
>> Tony Romas - gag! Where's the smoke?
>>
>> Best ever - The County Line. The baby backs are sublime and the cowboy
>> beans are totally addictive.

http://www.countyline.com/

> Can't really comment on regional chains in KC. Only famous Dave's has a
> foothold of any kind and that is due to two locations in the travel
> destination areas, one in the new Power and Light/Sprint Center district,
> and one by the Kansas Speedway.
>
> There have been lots of barbecue chains who have showed up in KC bragging
> about their stuff, only to be spanked and sent home to mama. We have some
> local chains to be sure, but their place is hard earned and well deserved.
> It's just hard for the formula folks to compete around here.
>
> MartyB in KC

I wouldn't be surprised if Memphis and Carolina have similar issues.

Q is big in Texas too, but then Texas is just so big it has room for more.

If your travels take you near a County Line you be in for good eats.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

On May 14, 3:15*pm, Dana > wrote:
> I couldnotbelieve how tasteless the meat was at Jake's "Smokehouse"
> in VB.

excellent as always then
meat never should have a taste,
it's the salt and the sauce and the fat that have the taste

mk5000

" It takes time to connect the dots, I know that. But I also know that
there can be a day of reckoning when you wish you had connected the
dots more quickly."-- Al Go Inconvenient Truth