Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Grilling with infrared?

I'm on the verge of replacing my Weber gas grill, and I'm wondering about
the benefit of infrared burners. The gas grill simply does not char meat
adequately if that's what you're looking for. Does infrared work as the ads
say. The ads say they go as high as 1000F Do they char? Is there a problem
with obtaining a low temperature with infrared as the critics and reviewers
say. Do you have a problem with evenness of heat? If you've done an upgrade
to infrared are you glad you did?
Thanks for any thoughts,

Ed

I posted this on the wrong NG. If you read rec.food.cooking you'll see it
twice.This is a long way away from "lo and slow". I apologize for that.
Thanks again for any help.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> I'm on the verge of replacing my Weber gas grill, and I'm wondering about
> the benefit of infrared burners. The gas grill simply does not char meat
> adequately if that's what you're looking for. Does infrared work as the ads
> say. The ads say they go as high as 1000F Do they char? Is there a problem
> with obtaining a low temperature with infrared as the critics and reviewers
> say. Do you have a problem with evenness of heat? If you've done an upgrade
> to infrared are you glad you did?
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Ed
>
> I posted this on the wrong NG. If you read rec.food.cooking you'll see it
> twice.This is a long way away from "lo and slow". I apologize for that.
> Thanks again for any help.

IR burners seem to work great. I have one on my grill and with it on,
drip tray under the rotisserie skewer, and proper marinade I get
fantastic results on whole chickens, Greek style ribs, roasts, etc. I'm
not sure what the upper temp is, but getting a good char has never been
an issue. The only problem is IR burners can blow out when the cover is
opened on windy days, so be sure to re-check often. Mine has a
battery-piezo igniter so it relights easily.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11-May-2009, "Theron" > wrote:

> I'm on the verge of replacing my Weber gas grill, and I'm wondering about
>
> the benefit of infrared burners. The gas grill simply does not char meat
> adequately if that's what you're looking for. Does infrared work as the
> say. The ads say they go as high as 1000F Do they char? Is there a
> problem
> with obtaining a low temperature with infrared as the critics and
> reviewers
> say. Do you have a problem with evenness of heat? If you've done an
> upgrade
> to infrared are you glad you did?
> Thanks for any thoughts,
>
> Ed
>
> I posted this on the wrong NG. If you read rec.food.cooking you'll see it
>
> twice.This is a long way away from "lo and slow". I apologize for that.
> Thanks again for any help.

You're not even close to being "Off Topic" Ed. This group is actually for
outdoor cooking, not just low and slow barbecue. Grilling is just as good
as barbecue anyhow as long as you don't insist on calling it barbecue.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 11-May-2009, "Theron" > wrote:
>
>> I'm on the verge of replacing my Weber gas grill, and I'm wondering about

SNIP\
>> Ed

SNIP
> You're not even close to being "Off Topic" Ed. This group is actually for
> outdoor cooking, not just low and slow barbecue. Grilling is just as good
> as barbecue anyhow as long as you don't insist on calling it barbecue.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

humpp, My friends, this group is for anyone who cooks, regrettably with or
without coals. Yes we even will pander to those who wish to cook outside
instead of inside on devices that could easily be construed as an oven
broiler or gas fueled oven (even though it may require a healthy exhaust fan
if used inside.) Barbecue is cooking over coals of wood, inside or outside,
(just cleaner on the modern home if done outside, but keep in mind many of
the true old fashioned bbq restaurants cook inside,) ex. wood burned to a
beautiful pile of coals or wood processed by control of air to a point in
which it becomes almost pure carbon then finally ignited when needed later,
or in modern society even pressed leftover carbon dust call briquettes which
is a stretch but we'll include it too as it is a close cousin. Any meat
cooked over coals, regardless of thin and tender cuts cooked fast plus large
and tough chunks of meats cooked a long time is barbecue. Like most
religions we'll show you the good and easy stuff in the hopes that someday
you may come to embrace the difficult, soul searching and complicated depths
of the true faith which some here call bbq.
Smoky Regards,
Piedmont

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> You're not even close to being "Off Topic" Ed. This group is actually for
> outdoor cooking, not just low and slow barbecue. Grilling is just as good
> as barbecue anyhow as long as you don't insist on calling it barbecue.

I propose we rename the group to alt.food.carnivores.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Per Dave Bugg, this is heresy. Fast is grilling, slow is 'cue.
>
> ;-)

Who gives a shit. The guy asked how to grill meat over an infrared burner.
Not philosophy and semantics.

A fast GRILLED steak over a hot fire is Good Eats. An infrared is nice
because #1) it gets really hot. This gets the outside crispy and the inside
moist and red. And #2) the grease is instantly burnt and not allowed to
build up and catch fire like a lava rock gas grill.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"spud" > wrote in message

>> Per Dave Bugg, this is heresy. Fast is grilling, slow is 'cue.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

> Who gives a shit. The guy asked how to grill meat over an infrared
> burner. Not philosophy and semantics.
>
> A fast GRILLED steak over a hot fire is Good Eats. An infrared is nice
> because #1) it gets really hot. This gets the outside crispy and the
> inside moist and red. And #2) the grease is instantly burnt and not
> allowed to build up and catch fire like a lava rock gas grill.

Can an infrared grill a steak crispy on the outside and pink on the inside
with the grill lid up? That's what I'm trying to discern. I'm not aware of
any gas grill that can.

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip

>Can an infrared grill a steak crispy on the outside and pink on the inside
>with the grill lid up? That's what I'm trying to discern. I'm not aware of
>any gas grill that can.
>
>Ed

A Sunshine grill can. In fact, the original models didn't even come
with a hood. The cast iron plate (comes with holes drilled in it) are
1/2 inch from the grate and another 1/2 inch below the plate is the
flame. I measured 900 degrees at the grate before my therm. blew out.

Yep, sure could sear a steak. So can a hot wood fire, but I'm sure you
know that.

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 07:52:19 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>> Brick wrote:
>>
>>> You're not even close to being "Off Topic" Ed. This group is actually for
>>> outdoor cooking, not just low and slow barbecue. Grilling is just as good
>>> as barbecue anyhow as long as you don't insist on calling it barbecue.

>> I propose we rename the group to alt.food.carnivores.

> Post of the Month!!!!!!!!
>
> I love it, Sqwertz!

I thought we all did veggies, pizza, bread, and other things on the
grill as well. It's only when BBQ'ing that it's 99% meat (and even then
garlic, peppers, and other things make it on there).
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "spud" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Per Dave Bugg, this is heresy. Fast is grilling, slow is 'cue.
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>

>> Who gives a shit. The guy asked how to grill meat over an infrared
>> burner. Not philosophy and semantics.
>>
>> A fast GRILLED steak over a hot fire is Good Eats. An infrared is nice
>> because #1) it gets really hot. This gets the outside crispy and the
>> inside moist and red. And #2) the grease is instantly burnt and not
>> allowed to build up and catch fire like a lava rock gas grill.
>>

> Can an infrared grill a steak crispy on the outside and pink on the inside
> with the grill lid up? That's what I'm trying to discern. I'm not aware of
> any gas grill that can.
>
> Ed

Only if you stand it on end and the wind is down.

For super max heat crispy stuff the big green egg or grill dome might be
your best bet as they get to a legit 7-800 deg F.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:02:41 -0700, "Theron" >
> wrote:
>
>> Can an infrared grill a steak crispy on the outside and pink on the inside
>> with the grill lid up? That's what I'm trying to discern. I'm not aware of
>> any gas grill that can.

> I keep waiting for Nonny to jump in--iirc, he's the one who added IR
> to his gasser, and really really likes the way it sears a steak.

Right here, Denny. Yup, there's a time and a place of everything. The
answer to the above question is yes- and the lid should be up when in
use. My IR is separate from the gas grill- bolted to the side as a
matter of fact. For pure 'Q, I use the Bradley and that's great for
both ribs and butt. However, as you say, I enjoy my pure IR grill for
char-rare steaks and for crisping up smoked chicken wings.

.. . . a time and a place for everything. . .

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 May 2009 19:02:41 -0700, "Theron" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can an infrared grill a steak crispy on the outside and pink on the
>>> inside with the grill lid up? That's what I'm trying to discern. I'm
>>> not aware of any gas grill that can.

>> I keep waiting for Nonny to jump in--iirc, he's the one who added IR
>> to his gasser, and really really likes the way it sears a steak.
>>

> Right here, Denny. Yup, there's a time and a place of everything. The
> answer to the above question is yes- and the lid should be up when in use.
> My IR is separate from the gas grill- bolted to the side as a matter of
> fact. For pure 'Q, I use the Bradley and that's great for both ribs and
> butt. However, as you say, I enjoy my pure IR grill for char-rare steaks
> and for crisping up smoked chicken wings.
>
> . . . a time and a place for everything. . .
>
> --
> Nonny
> If you think health care is expensive now,
> wait until you see what it costs when it's free!
>
> - P.J. O'Rourke

Nonny, what kind of IR do you have? I'm replacing my old Weber Genesis B.
With cast iron grates it does pretty well with most grilling, particularly
flaky fish. It won't, however sear a steak the way you can over charcoal.
I'd like to find a grill that would sear and serve as a general all purpose
gas grill. I que with a bullet and my Weber charcoal. I'm not looking to do
that.

Ed
-The above quote from O-Rourke should be on the back of every car. We have
no idea of the fiscal nightmare that's on the horizon.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob Muncie wrote:

> I thought we all did veggies, pizza, bread, and other things on the
> grill as well.

[Taking a step back and making the sign of a cross with my two forefingers]

Some of us do, but I suspect it's a small minority.

> It's only when BBQ'ing that it's 99% meat (and even then
> garlic, peppers, and other things make it on there).

It's 99% meat in here. But even carnivores eat *some* non-meat (for
hairball elimination, usually).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I thought we all did veggies, pizza, bread, and other things on the
>> grill as well.

> [Taking a step back and making the sign of a cross with my two forefingers]
>
> Some of us do, but I suspect it's a small minority.
>
>> It's only when BBQ'ing that it's 99% meat (and even then garlic,
>> peppers, and other things make it on there).

> It's 99% meat in here. But even carnivores eat *some* non-meat (for
> hairball elimination, usually).
>
> -sw

Alimentary, my dear homes...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I thought we all did veggies, pizza, bread, and other things on the
>> grill as well.

> [Taking a step back and making the sign of a cross with my two forefingers]
>
> Some of us do, but I suspect it's a small minority.
>
>> It's only when BBQ'ing that it's 99% meat (and even then garlic,
>> peppers, and other things make it on there).

> It's 99% meat in here. But even carnivores eat *some* non-meat (for
> hairball elimination, usually).
>
> -sw

When it's lousy weather out, it's nice to know I have smoked peppers and
garlic to add to indoor cooked meals. Even the wisp of real BBQ flavors
on a meal that otherwise would have none boosts it's worth by at least
50% :-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Bob Muncie wrote:
>
>> I thought we all did veggies, pizza, bread, and other things on the
>> grill as well.

> [Taking a step back and making the sign of a cross with my two forefingers]
>
> Some of us do, but I suspect it's a small minority.
>
>> It's only when BBQ'ing that it's 99% meat (and even then garlic,
>> peppers, and other things make it on there).

> It's 99% meat in here. But even carnivores eat *some* non-meat (for
> hairball elimination, usually).
>
> -sw

We do that kind of thing occasionally here in the desert, since it's dry
and hot almost year round and it's kinda silly to run a 5-ton AC while
putting 30kBTU into the kitchen with the stove. Cooking outdoors saves
money. . . and makes the food taste better. <Grin>

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,
wait until you see what it costs when it's free!

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Theron wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote in message
>> Denny Wheeler wrote:

>>> I keep waiting for Nonny to jump in--iirc, he's the one who added IR
>>> to his gasser, and really really likes the way it sears a steak.
>>>

>> Right here, Denny. Yup, there's a time and a place of everything. The
>> answer to the above question is yes- and the lid should be up when in use.
>> My IR is separate from the gas grill- bolted to the side as a matter of
>> fact. For pure 'Q, I use the Bradley and that's great for both ribs and
>> butt. However, as you say, I enjoy my pure IR grill for char-rare steaks
>> and for crisping up smoked chicken wings.
>>
>> . . . a time and a place for everything. . .
>>
>> --
>> Nonny
>> If you think health care is expensive now,
>> wait until you see what it costs when it's free!
>>
>> - P.J. O'Rourke
>>

> Nonny, what kind of IR do you have? I'm replacing my old Weber Genesis B.
> With cast iron grates it does pretty well with most grilling, particularly
> flaky fish. It won't, however sear a steak the way you can over charcoal.
> I'd like to find a grill that would sear and serve as a general all purpose
> gas grill. I que with a bullet and my Weber charcoal. I'm not looking to do
> that.
>
> Ed

My IR grill began life as an LP-fired portable SS grill from Barbeques
Galore. It had a single IR burner, but the great, necessary, inverted V
grate. I bought two, converted the orifices to NG, then placed two IR
burners side-by-side, using a homebuilt manifold and valve. It really
gets hot. . . fast. . . and a room temp 1" steak takes 2 minutes per
side for perfect char rare. The grill measures about 18" long and 12"
deep, so it is bolted to a side shelf on my good SS gasser on the patio.

--
Nonny
If you think health care is expensive now,
wait until you see what it costs when it's free!

- P.J. O'Rourke
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Brick wrote:
>
>> You're not even close to being "Off Topic" Ed. This group is actually for
>> outdoor cooking, not just low and slow barbecue. Grilling is just as good
>> as barbecue anyhow as long as you don't insist on calling it barbecue.

> I propose we rename the group to alt.food.carnivores.

Seconded!

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 14, 5:56*pm, TFM® > wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> > Brick wrote:

> >> You're not even close to being "Off Topic" Ed. This group is actually for
> >> outdoor cooking, not just low and slow barbecue. Grilling is just as good
> >> as barbecue anyhow as long as you don't insist on calling it barbecue.

> > I propose we rename the group to alt.food.carnivores.

> Seconded!

I'll drink to that.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 14 May 2009 19:26:59 -0700 (PDT), Duwop >
wrote:

>On May 14, 5:56Â*pm, TFM® > wrote:

>> > I propose we rename the group to alt.food.carnivores.

>> Seconded!
>>

>I'll drink to that.

alt.food.carnivores.i'lldrinktothat

Has a nice ring to that!
--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 15, 6:29*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> alt.food.carnivores.run.bambi.run.

Shouldn't that be "run.forrest.run"?

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 16 May 2009 11:33:07 -0700 (PDT), frohe >
wrote:

>On May 15, 6:29Â*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
>> alt.food.carnivores.run.bambi.run.

>Shouldn't that be "run.forrest.run"?
>
>-frohe

No.