Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Time to Chuck

"VegA" > wrote in message
> Tomorrow I hit the big 49 and was gonna do a nice chuck in the ol' pit
> as a b-day treat for the wife and I.
>
> Long story short, it will have to wait till Thursday But on the up
> side the temp will be in the 70's !
>
> I got a 6# chuck roast that was on sale for $2#. Brisket is about $6#
> where I live (Northern Il.) so that was not happening.
>
> Started marinating it yesterday with lowery's steakhouse, some brown
> sugar (not much), some Jim Beam (bourbon) and some of my rub, and a
> good amount of black pepper.
>
> Morning of the cook I will pat it dry and put my rub on it, some bacon
> on top as it looks lean for a chuck. The smoke provided will be a
> 50/50 mix of Jack Danials oak and mesquite.
>
> Plan is to smoke at 220-250 (I can nail 220 if the wind is calm) till
> the meat hits 160, then wrap in foil till it hits about 200-205, with
> a rest time of about 2 hours in foil, a thick towel, and in the
> cooler. Baste with reserved marinade after the 1st hour, then every
> 1/2 hour after that.
>
> Anything anyone would do different?

I would move farther south. It's been in the 80's here for the last 6
months.

Just kidding.

Not kidding about the temperature though.

Do you baste while it's resting? Interesting.

I wouldn't do it due to letting heat out of the cooler.

Let us know how it turns out.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

[...]

I been doin chuck like this for awhile with fantastic results but I
always wonder if it could be better.

When I was a teen I had some beef ribs that looked like they came off
a T-REX. Meaty! TENDER! I have yet to find a beef rib like it. It
also dripped of mesquite and the meat was very sticky. Damn near the
best thing I ever put in my mouth. Any idea what kinda rib I ate and
how it was accomplished?

Thanks!

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:49:26 -0400, TFM®
> wrote:

snip

>> Anything anyone would do different?

>I would move farther south. It's been in the 80's here for the last 6
>months.

I lived in Georgia for about 12 years. Loved the weather. That's all
the good about that state I can comment on.

>Just kidding.

Florida is sounding better every day.

>Not kidding about the temperature though.
>

>Do you baste while it's resting? Interesting.
>
>I wouldn't do it due to letting heat out of the cooler.
>
>Let us know how it turns out.
>
>TFM®

The wonder of posting while drinking vast quantities of beer is that
what you are thinking does not always come out of your fingers in the
order intended.

I was talking about basting during the smoke, not during the rest.

Basting during the rest would not only let the heat out but wouldn't
penetrate anyway. But you know that

LOL
--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I guess "Time to Chuck" is better than "Time to Ralph".

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:13:46 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I guess "Time to Chuck" is better than "Time to Ralph".
>
>-sw

Don't know. Never cooked a Ralph }~

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:

> Tomorrow I hit the big 49 and was gonna do a nice chuck in the ol' pit
> as a b-day treat for the wife and I.
>
> Long story short, it will have to wait till Thursday But on the up
> side the temp will be in the 70's !
>
> I got a 6# chuck roast that was on sale for $2#. Brisket is about $6#
> where I live (Northern Il.) so that was not happening.
>
> Started marinating it yesterday with lowery's steakhouse, some brown
> sugar (not much), some Jim Beam (bourbon) and some of my rub, and a
> good amount of black pepper.
>
> Morning of the cook I will pat it dry and put my rub on it, some bacon
> on top as it looks lean for a chuck. The smoke provided will be a
> 50/50 mix of Jack Danials oak and mesquite.
>
> Plan is to smoke at 220-250 (I can nail 220 if the wind is calm) till
> the meat hits 160, then wrap in foil till it hits about 200-205, with
> a rest time of about 2 hours in foil, a thick towel, and in the
> cooler. Baste with reserved marinade after the 1st hour, then every
> 1/2 hour after that.
>
> Anything anyone would do different?
>
> I been doin chuck like this for awhile with fantastic results but I
> always wonder if it could be better.
>
> When I was a teen I had some beef ribs that looked like they came off
> a T-REX. Meaty! TENDER! I have yet to find a beef rib like it. It
> also dripped of mesquite and the meat was very sticky. Damn near the
> best thing I ever put in my mouth. Any idea what kinda rib I ate and
> how it was accomplished?
>

> Thanks!

I haven't cooked very many chuck roasts and it sounds like you know
what you're doing, but I'd pull it at about 190° to 195°F and foil it for
a couple of hours. I'm thinking it would still be well done, but not so
likely to dry out.

I've been looking for a decent sizsed chuck like that, but haven't seen
one that I would pay the asking price for. I want to do a six to eight
pounder at least once. I'd really like to do a whole chuck roll, but
no way can I handle that much cooked meat without thowing a big
party and giving it all away. That's my 2˘ and I'm sticking to it.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:

> Tomorrow I hit the big 49 and was gonna do a nice chuck in the ol' pit
> as a b-day treat for the wife and I.
>
> Long story short, it will have to wait till Thursday But on the up
> side the temp will be in the 70's !
>
> I got a 6# chuck roast that was on sale for $2#. Brisket is about $6#
> where I live (Northern Il.) so that was not happening.
>
> Started marinating it yesterday with lowery's steakhouse, some brown
> sugar (not much), some Jim Beam (bourbon) and some of my rub, and a
> good amount of black pepper.
>
> Morning of the cook I will pat it dry and put my rub on it, some bacon
> on top as it looks lean for a chuck. The smoke provided will be a
> 50/50 mix of Jack Danials oak and mesquite.
>
> Plan is to smoke at 220-250 (I can nail 220 if the wind is calm) till
> the meat hits 160, then wrap in foil till it hits about 200-205, with
> a rest time of about 2 hours in foil, a thick towel, and in the
> cooler. Baste with reserved marinade after the 1st hour, then every
> 1/2 hour after that.
>
> Anything anyone would do different?
>
> I been doin chuck like this for awhile with fantastic results but I
> always wonder if it could be better.
>
> When I was a teen I had some beef ribs that looked like they came off
> a T-REX. Meaty! TENDER! I have yet to find a beef rib like it. It
> also dripped of mesquite and the meat was very sticky. Damn near the
> best thing I ever put in my mouth. Any idea what kinda rib I ate and
> how it was accomplished?
>

> Thanks!

Those beef ribs sound like the Beef Back Ribs I get here from Smithfield.
They're meaty and fat both. They cook up juicy and drip all over your
shirt while you try to eat them. Very rich tasting. I smoke them like
spares,
but I think they're better, at least as a change. I guess it's hard to beat
well prepared spareribs.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Snip
>I haven't cooked very many chuck roasts and it sounds like you know
>what you're doing, but I'd pull it at about 190° to 195°F and foil it for
>a couple of hours. I'm thinking it would still be well done, but not so
>likely to dry out.

Good idea. Think I'm gonna shoot for 195.

>I've been looking for a decent sizsed chuck like that, but haven't seen
>one that I would pay the asking price for. I want to do a six to eight
>pounder at least once. I'd really like to do a whole chuck roll, but
>no way can I handle that much cooked meat without thowing a big
>party and giving it all away. That's my 2¢ and I'm sticking to it.

I got it at Meijer. Went there today for something else and they still
have it on sale fo $2#. You have to go to the butcher counter and ask
for the size you want because they do not have anything that big on
the floor.

Thanks for the input!

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

VegA wrote:
> Tomorrow I hit the big 49 and was gonna do a nice chuck in the ol' pit
> as a b-day treat for the wife and I.

Happy Birthday!

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Those beef ribs sound like the Beef Back Ribs I get here from Smithfield.
>They're meaty and fat both. They cook up juicy and drip all over your
>shirt while you try to eat them. Very rich tasting. I smoke them like
>spares,
>but I think they're better, at least as a change. I guess it's hard to beat
>well prepared spareribs.

Well I got one slab of beef back ribs at Meijer today and will be
puttin them on with the chuck tomorrow. They look real meaty and big.

I will report back on how they turned out.

Thanks!

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:50:29 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>VegA wrote:
>> Tomorrow I hit the big 49 and was gonna do a nice chuck in the ol' pit
>> as a b-day treat for the wife and I.

>Happy Birthday!

Thank you kind lady!!!!

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:

> >Those beef ribs sound like the Beef Back Ribs I get here from
> >Smithfield.
> >They're meaty and fat both. They cook up juicy and drip all over your
> >shirt while you try to eat them. Very rich tasting. I smoke them like
> >spares,
> >but I think they're better, at least as a change. I guess it's hard to
> >beat
> >well prepared spareribs.

> Well I got one slab of beef back ribs at Meijer today and will be
> puttin them on with the chuck tomorrow. They look real meaty and big.
>
> I will report back on how they turned out.
>
> Thanks!

I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
tou-it", I'll
take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need it
though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the front
of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:49:04 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 22-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:
>

>> >Those beef ribs sound like the Beef Back Ribs I get here from
>> >Smithfield.
>> >They're meaty and fat both. They cook up juicy and drip all over your
>> >shirt while you try to eat them. Very rich tasting. I smoke them like
>> >spares,
>> >but I think they're better, at least as a change. I guess it's hard to
>> >beat
>> >well prepared spareribs.

>> Well I got one slab of beef back ribs at Meijer today and will be
>> puttin them on with the chuck tomorrow. They look real meaty and big.
>>
>> I will report back on how they turned out.
>>
>> Thanks!

>I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
>tou-it", I'll
>take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need it
>though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the front
>of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

Thanks!

I think I might photo the entire day and post it over at food.

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:49:04 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 22-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:
>

>> >Those beef ribs sound like the Beef Back Ribs I get here from
>> >Smithfield.
>> >They're meaty and fat both. They cook up juicy and drip all over your
>> >shirt while you try to eat them. Very rich tasting. I smoke them like
>> >spares,
>> >but I think they're better, at least as a change. I guess it's hard to
>> >beat
>> >well prepared spareribs.

>> Well I got one slab of beef back ribs at Meijer today and will be
>> puttin them on with the chuck tomorrow. They look real meaty and big.
>>
>> I will report back on how they turned out.
>>
>> Thanks!

>I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
>tou-it", I'll
>take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need it
>though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the front
>of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

Brick,

OMG! These were BETTER than the ones I had years ago!

Sticky. Ruined a shirt. Must have more!

I been Q'in for years but only tried doing beef ribs once before. I
had no clue what I was doing back then. That must have been 20 years
ago.

Gee, what you learn over time.

Perfection was achieved here in Mc Henry county IL. today.

I owe it all to the many years of trial and error, and in no small
part to you and the others here in this NG. I keep somewhat silent for
long periods of time but am always lurking and reading. On the days
that I don't learn a new technique here, I am always inspired by you
folks.

Thanks all!

--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:49:04 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:

> >> Well I got one slab of beef back ribs at Meijer today and will be
> >> puttin them on with the chuck tomorrow. They look real meaty and big.
> >>
> >> I will report back on how they turned out.
> >>
> >> Thanks!

> >I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
> >tou-it", I'll
> >take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need
> >it
> >though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the
> >front
> >of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

> Brick,
>
> OMG! These were BETTER than the ones I had years ago!
>
> Sticky. Ruined a shirt. Must have more!
>
> I been Q'in for years but only tried doing beef ribs once before. I
> had no clue what I was doing back then. That must have been 20 years
> ago.
>
> Gee, what you learn over time.
>
> Perfection was achieved here in Mc Henry county IL. today.
>
> I owe it all to the many years of trial and error, and in no small
> part to you and the others here in this NG. I keep somewhat silent for
> long periods of time but am always lurking and reading. On the days
> that I don't learn a new technique here, I am always inspired by you
> folks.
>
> Thanks all!

Thank you for sharing the pleasure Gene. Whenever someone finally
discovers his/her BBQ confidence, I like to think I might have had
some small contribution to it. It is a pretty good feeling to know that
you're going to produce good food everytime you cook. It's way
better then wondering if you're going to have to get another or larger
dog. Six years ago, I didn't know the difference between BBQ and
Grilling. Some might say I still don't. But I'm going to 'Q' some butts
and ribs for the community party tomorrow and I don't have the
least doubt that it'll be good.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"VegA" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:13:46 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>I guess "Time to Chuck" is better than "Time to Ralph".
>>
>>-sw

> Don't know. Never cooked a Ralph }~

It should be cooked in a porcelain vessel.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 22-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:
>

>> >Those beef ribs sound like the Beef Back Ribs I get here from
>> >Smithfield.
>> >They're meaty and fat both. They cook up juicy and drip all over your
>> >shirt while you try to eat them. Very rich tasting. I smoke them like
>> >spares,
>> >but I think they're better, at least as a change. I guess it's hard to
>> >beat
>> >well prepared spareribs.

>> Well I got one slab of beef back ribs at Meijer today and will be
>> puttin them on with the chuck tomorrow. They look real meaty and big.
>>
>> I will report back on how they turned out.
>>
>> Thanks!

> I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
> tou-it", I'll
> take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need it
> though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the front
> of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

I never wear a shirt when I eat ribs. If I'm eating at home, I don't even
wear pants.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 23-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:49:04 GMT, "Brick"
>> > wrote:

>> >I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
>> >tou-it", I'll
>> >take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need
>> >it
>> >though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the
>> >front
>> >of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

>> Brick,
>>
>> OMG! These were BETTER than the ones I had years ago!
>>
>> Sticky. Ruined a shirt. Must have more!
>>
>> I been Q'in for years but only tried doing beef ribs once before. I
>> had no clue what I was doing back then. That must have been 20 years
>> ago.
>>
>> Gee, what you learn over time.
>>
>> Perfection was achieved here in Mc Henry county IL. today.
>>
>> I owe it all to the many years of trial and error, and in no small
>> part to you and the others here in this NG. I keep somewhat silent for
>> long periods of time but am always lurking and reading. On the days
>> that I don't learn a new technique here, I am always inspired by you
>> folks.
>>
>> Thanks all!

> Thank you for sharing the pleasure Gene. Whenever someone finally
> discovers his/her BBQ confidence, I like to think I might have had
> some small contribution to it. It is a pretty good feeling to know that
> you're going to produce good food everytime you cook. It's way
> better then wondering if you're going to have to get another or larger
> dog. Six years ago, I didn't know the difference between BBQ and
> Grilling. Some might say I still don't. But I'm going to 'Q' some butts
> and ribs for the community party tomorrow and I don't have the
> least doubt that it'll be good.

Durn. I just checked the date and that's tomorrow. Sadly, the grass is
growing with a vengeance here and we're into full time mowing mode.

One of these days...

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Apr-2009, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?= >
wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...

> >> Well I got one slab of beef back ribs at Meijer today and will be
> >> puttin them on with the chuck tomorrow. They look real meaty and big.
> >>
> >> I will report back on how they turned out.
> >>
> >> Thanks!

> > I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
> > tou-it", I'll
> > take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need
> > it
> > though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the
> > front
> > of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

> I never wear a shirt when I eat ribs. If I'm eating at home, I don't
> even
> wear pants.
>
> TFM®

I don't consider myself to be truly chicken hearted, but I draw the line
at eating hot dripping beef back ribs with no pants on.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...
> >
> > On 23-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:49:04 GMT, "Brick"

> >> Brick,
> >>
> >> OMG! These were BETTER than the ones I had years ago!
> >>
> >> Sticky. Ruined a shirt. Must have more!
> >>
> >> I been Q'in for years but only tried doing beef ribs once before. I
> >> had no clue what I was doing back then. That must have been 20 years
> >> ago.
> >>
> >> Gee, what you learn over time.
> >>
> >> Perfection was achieved here in Mc Henry county IL. today.
> >>
> >> I owe it all to the many years of trial and error, and in no small
> >> part to you and the others here in this NG. I keep somewhat silent for
> >> long periods of time but am always lurking and reading. On the days
> >> that I don't learn a new technique here, I am always inspired by you
> >> folks.
> >>
> >> Thanks all!

> > Thank you for sharing the pleasure Gene. Whenever someone finally
> > discovers his/her BBQ confidence, I like to think I might have had
> > some small contribution to it. It is a pretty good feeling to know that
> > you're going to produce good food everytime you cook. It's way
> > better then wondering if you're going to have to get another or larger
> > dog. Six years ago, I didn't know the difference between BBQ and
> > Grilling. Some might say I still don't. But I'm going to 'Q' some butts
> > and ribs for the community party tomorrow and I don't have the
> > least doubt that it'll be good.

> Durn. I just checked the date and that's tomorrow. Sadly, the grass is
> growing with a vengeance here and we're into full time mowing mode.
>
> One of these days...
>
> TFM®

No sweat. I actually cleaned the pit out this morning. Got 30# of butts
on at a quarter after eleven. After three hours, the pit still hasn't made
it up to cruising temperature. It's managing about 220°F at the stack
though and about 200°F at the grate on both ends. It'll get the job
done eventually.

When I first got this pit and tried to learn, I would have been all over
the place trying to get the heat up higher. I've since learned that the
pit will do what it does if I just leave it the hell alone. In this case
that
30# of meat is acting like one great big heat sink and the overall pit
temp isn't going to come up until that meat warms up some more. I
could make it hotter, but I'd just burn the meat closest to the firebox
and not gain a damn thing in terms of making decent 'Q'.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Might be a newbie out there somewhere that needs
to know this)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Brick > wrote:

> In this case
> that
> 30# of meat is acting like one great big heat sink and the overall pit
> temp isn't going to come up until that meat warms up some more.

Yep.

> could make it hotter, but I'd just burn the meat closest to the firebox
> and not gain a damn thing in terms of making decent 'Q'.

Yep. Indeed, one might agree with old-timers who don't use thermometers
or clocks when they cook Q. They make the proper fire and cook the meat
until it is done.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:00:27 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 23-Apr-2009, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?= >
>wrote:
>
>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>> ter.com...

>> > I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
>> > tou-it", I'll
>> > take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need
>> > it
>> > though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the
>> > front
>> > of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

>> I never wear a shirt when I eat ribs. If I'm eating at home, I don't
>> even
>> wear pants.
>>
>> TFM®

>I don't consider myself to be truly chicken hearted, but I draw the line
>at eating hot dripping beef back ribs with no pants on.

That's why I have my wife sit on my lap
--

" Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous
mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is
entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"VegA" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:00:27 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:
>

>>On 23-Apr-2009, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?= >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> "Brick" > wrote in message
>>> ter.com...

>>> I never wear a shirt when I eat ribs. If I'm eating at home, I don't
>>> even
>>> wear pants.
>>>
>>> TFM®

>>I don't consider myself to be truly chicken hearted, but I draw the line
>>at eating hot dripping beef back ribs with no pants on.

> That's why I have my wife sit on my lap

I had that luxury at one point in my life.
Now I just call the cats around and drip the grease on them. They love to
clean themselves.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

*delurk* could you define the difference between the two. I just read here
and have nothing of value to contribute but i really enjoy reading, Thanks,
Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
ter.com...

> On 23-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:49:04 GMT, "Brick"
>> > wrote:

>> >I still have a couple of racks in the freezer. If I can find a "round
>> >tou-it", I'll
>> >take a pic and post it someplace. Good luck. I don't think you'll need
>> >it
>> >though. It's easy to cook beef back ribs. Keeping the grease off the
>> >front
>> >of your shirt is the hard part (or not).

>> Brick,
>>
>> OMG! These were BETTER than the ones I had years ago!
>>
>> Sticky. Ruined a shirt. Must have more!
>>
>> I been Q'in for years but only tried doing beef ribs once before. I
>> had no clue what I was doing back then. That must have been 20 years
>> ago.
>>
>> Gee, what you learn over time.
>>
>> Perfection was achieved here in Mc Henry county IL. today.
>>
>> I owe it all to the many years of trial and error, and in no small
>> part to you and the others here in this NG. I keep somewhat silent for
>> long periods of time but am always lurking and reading. On the days
>> that I don't learn a new technique here, I am always inspired by you
>> folks.
>>
>> Thanks all!

> Thank you for sharing the pleasure Gene. Whenever someone finally
> discovers his/her BBQ confidence, I like to think I might have had
> some small contribution to it. It is a pretty good feeling to know that
> you're going to produce good food everytime you cook. It's way
> better then wondering if you're going to have to get another or larger
> dog. Six years ago, I didn't know the difference between BBQ and
> Grilling. Some might say I still don't. But I'm going to 'Q' some butts
> and ribs for the community party tomorrow and I don't have the
> least doubt that it'll be good.
>
> --
> Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 8-Jul-2009, "Stormmee" > wrote:

> *delurk* could you define the difference between the two. I just read
> here
> and have nothing of value to contribute but i really enjoy reading,
> Thanks,
> Lee
> "Brick" > wrote in message
> ter.com...
> >
> > On 23-Apr-2009, VegA > wrote:
> >
> >> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:49:04 GMT, "Brick"

.. . .

> >> I owe it all to the many years of trial and error, and in no small
> >> part to you and the others here in this NG. I keep somewhat silent for
> >> long periods of time but am always lurking and reading. On the days
> >> that I don't learn a new technique here, I am always inspired by you
> >> folks.
> >>
> >> Thanks all!

> > Thank you for sharing the pleasure Gene. Whenever someone finally
> > discovers his/her BBQ confidence, I like to think I might have had
> > some small contribution to it. It is a pretty good feeling to know that
> > you're going to produce good food everytime you cook. It's way
> > better then wondering if you're going to have to get another or larger
> > dog. Six years ago, I didn't know the difference between BBQ and
> > Grilling. Some might say I still don't. But I'm going to 'Q' some butts
> > and ribs for the community party tomorrow and I don't have the
> > least doubt that it'll be good.
> >
> > --
> > Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)

Almost didn't recognize my own post. 23 April was a long time ago.
That said, I ran the pit today for a bone in pork loin and four racks
of beef back ribs. Let me clarify what those ribs were though. The
way I get them they are actually the whole beef back ribs cut in half
lengthwise and then cryovac'd one whole slab to a package. These
unliike the butcher packed ribs I've found in the store, had real meat
on them.In fact they're nice and fat and very rich eating. I'll put
a picture over on ABF so you can see what I'm talking about.

It was pretty warm today and the meat got done a little faster then
usual, but it was done when it was done. The pork roast didn't fool
me this time. I set an alarm for 145° internal and I caught it pretty
much on time. Those roasts cook real quick when you're used to
cooking something to pullable temperature. This one took a little
less the two hours. The back ribs took about three.

I'm just getting supper started,so I'll let you all know later how
everything tasted at the table.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)