Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Default Original Charcoal - Rancher's Natural Charcoal

Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. It's not looking too good
for many of us trying to find this charcoal. We don't have Trader Joe's
in Texas. And no Orchard Supply. The company is in North Carolina, but
their distribution is mostly California.

The freight company I use wants $329 to ship 1300lbs to Austin. Which
seems kinda high. That would make it about $9.70/bag ($.54/lb). Doesn't
seem worth it considering local lump is @ < $.40/lb.

Here's the email I received:

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your email. I am forwarding it to our contact with Costco
and Home Depot.

We have been supplanted at Costco and Home Depot for the Clorox Chemical
Company's Kingsford "Competition blend". This despite the fact that we
would be over 40% less expensive at Costco and 1/2 the price of what Home
Depot charges for the chemical company's brand!!! Also, despite
out-selling the chemical brand in each chain during the time that we were
there.

Please feel free to mention this on the forums:

-TRADER JOE'S: RANCHER is selling at Trader Joe's across the country
for $6.99/18lb($0.39/lb).

-COSTCO: Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is $16.59 for 33lbs
($0.50/lb) !!!23% higher price than All-Natural RANCHER!!!

-HOME DEPOT and LOWES: Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is
$8.99 for 12lbs ($.075/lb) !!!48.2% higher price than All-Natural RANCHER!!!

-Orchard Supply Hardwa Will carry RANCHER for a Memorial Day
promotion well below the Costco price.

We can ship pallet quantity direct for $350 (70X18LBS), plus freight as
quoted by freightquotes.com. We have been shipping pallets and even 1//2
truck loads to individuals and groups around the country. Please let us
know what we can do for you. Thank you for your interest and support.

Enjoy the day,
Eric [Krause]
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

In austin.food Sqwertz > wrote:
> Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. It's not looking too good
> for many of us trying to find this charcoal.

Newflower has Hardwood brickets from South America in small bags.

I didn't try them since I still have some of the good stuff from HD.

horn

--
Remove +STRING to reply by email
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. It's not looking too good
> for many of us trying to find this charcoal. We don't have Trader Joe's
> in Texas. And no Orchard Supply. The company is in North Carolina, but
> their distribution is mostly California.
>
> The freight company I use wants $329 to ship 1300lbs to Austin. Which
> seems kinda high. That would make it about $9.70/bag ($.54/lb). Doesn't
> seem worth it considering local lump is @ < $.40/lb.
>
> Here's the email I received:
>
> Hi Steve,
> Thank you for your email. I am forwarding it to our contact with Costco
> and Home Depot.
>
> We have been supplanted at Costco and Home Depot for the Clorox Chemical
> Company's Kingsford "Competition blend". This despite the fact that we
> would be over 40% less expensive at Costco and 1/2 the price of what Home
> Depot charges for the chemical company's brand!!! Also, despite
> out-selling the chemical brand in each chain during the time that we were
> there.
>
> Please feel free to mention this on the forums:
>
> -TRADER JOE'S: RANCHER is selling at Trader Joe's across the country
> for $6.99/18lb($0.39/lb).
>
> -COSTCO: Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is $16.59 for 33lbs
> ($0.50/lb) !!!23% higher price than All-Natural RANCHER!!!
>
> -HOME DEPOT and LOWES: Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is
> $8.99 for 12lbs ($.075/lb) !!!48.2% higher price than All-Natural
> RANCHER!!!
>
> -Orchard Supply Hardwa Will carry RANCHER for a Memorial Day
> promotion well below the Costco price.
>
> We can ship pallet quantity direct for $350 (70X18LBS), plus freight as
> quoted by freightquotes.com. We have been shipping pallets and even 1//2
> truck loads to individuals and groups around the country. Please let us
> know what we can do for you. Thank you for your interest and support.
>
> Enjoy the day,
> Eric [Krause]

It's funny (sad) how he keeps mentioning Clorox, the chemical company.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. It's not looking too good
> for many of us trying to find this charcoal. We don't have Trader Joe's
> in Texas. And no Orchard Supply. The company is in North Carolina, but
> their distribution is mostly California.
>
> The freight company I use wants $329 to ship 1300lbs to Austin. Which
> seems kinda high. That would make it about $9.70/bag ($.54/lb). Doesn't
> seem worth it considering local lump is @ < $.40/lb.
>
> Here's the email I received:
>
><snip>

Smart & Final a walk-in restaurant & business supply stores carry a 40 or
50 pound bag of natural mesquite for IIRC less than $20.00. It is designed
I guess the the Mesquite Grilled Fish and Steak joints.

I suspect other stores of that type carry the same or similar products.

The stuff is GREAT. Not like that TJ'S Cowboy scrap construction crap.

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Horn wrote:
> In austin.food Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. It's not looking too good
>> for many of us trying to find this charcoal.

> Newflower has Hardwood brickets from South America in small bags.

I didn't even think about looking there. I stop there at least once a week.

> I didn't try them since I still have some of the good stuff from HD.

"Good stuff" at Home Depot? They have Cowboy charcoal, which I don't like
at all. Is there another brand?

-sw

>1 horn

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> "Good stuff" at Home Depot? They have Cowboy charcoal, which I don't
> like at all. Is there another brand?

What about "Stubb's Premium" now found at Lowe's in the Pacific NW? Anyone
know anything about it?

GWE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> "Good stuff" at Home Depot? They have Cowboy charcoal, which I don't
>> like at all. Is there another brand?

> What about "Stubb's Premium" now found at Lowe's in the Pacific NW? Anyone
> know anything about it?
>
> GWE

I think Stubbs is briquettes. At least that's what it said in the
Lowe's add in today's paper.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

What's wrong with the Royal Oak lump charcoal sold at WalMart?
--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> We can ship pallet quantity direct for $350 (70X18LBS), plus freight as
> quoted by freightquotes.com. We have been shipping pallets and even 1//2
> truck loads to individuals and groups around the country. Please let us
> know what we can do for you. Thank you for your interest and support.
>
> Enjoy the day,
> Eric [Krause]

Well, you could always consider getting together a group order. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:
> Grant Erwin wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> "Good stuff" at Home Depot? They have Cowboy charcoal, which I don't
>>> like at all. Is there another brand?

>> What about "Stubb's Premium" now found at Lowe's in the Pacific NW?
>> Anyone
>> know anything about it?
>>
>> GWE

> I think Stubbs is briquettes. At least that's what it said in the
> Lowe's add in today's paper.

Looks like they're made by Cowboy Charcoal Company, so I'll tale a big
pass on those. They also look expensive (somebody reported $7 for 9lbs).

They've been on the market for a year, but I've never heard of them until
now. And I work just around the corner from Stubbs HQ.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:

> What's wrong with the Royal Oak lump charcoal sold at WalMart?

I have never seen any lump in any Walmart. And I look every time I'm at a
Walmart (maybe 4 times a year, 3 different stores).

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Apr-2009, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> What's wrong with the Royal Oak lump charcoal sold at WalMart?
> --
> Janet Wilder
> way-the-heck-south Texas
> spelling doesn't count
> but cooking does

Royal Oak lump is fine if/when they have it. Wally World isn't too
dependable here.

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

reading the various posts in this tread, can somebody summarize what we
should be looing for and looking to avoid, generically speaking?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Apr-2009, "Gil Faver" > wrote:

> reading the various posts in this tread, can somebody summarize what we
> should be looing for and looking to avoid, generically speaking?

Here's more then you ever wanted to know about charcoal. This guy
has put an unbelievable amount of effort into grading charcoal for the
BBQ community.

Basically you're looking for chacoal made from real unprocessed
wood. It will look like real wood that has been baked until black
because that is what it is. It should not look like black used lumber.
It should be made from some kind of hardwood, never soft pine
or some such. Controversy rages about various types of wood,
but IMNSHO they all cook down to pretty much the same thing
when they run through a proper kiln. Some manufacturers are
more careful then others to exclude junk like rocks and dirt.
Some lump gets handled too roughly and much is lost to tiny pieces
and dust. Keep your eye out for lump that is still on the original
shipping pallet. That's about your best chance to get lump that
hasn't been bashed about too much.

Once those minimum wage store clerks get to throwing it around
all bets are off.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

--
Brick WA7ERO (Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On Apr 9, 5:04*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. *It's not looking too good
> for many of us trying to find this charcoal. *We don't have Trader Joe's
> in Texas. *And no Orchard Supply. *The company is in North Carolina, but
> their distribution is mostly California.
>
> The freight company I use wants $329 to ship 1300lbs to Austin. *Which
> seems kinda high. *That would make it about $9.70/bag ($.54/lb). *Doesn't
> seem worth it considering local lump is @ < $.40/lb.
>
> Here's the email I received:
>
> Hi Steve,
> Thank you for your email. *I am forwarding it to our contact with Costco
> and Home Depot.
>
> We have been supplanted at Costco and Home Depot for the Clorox Chemical
> Company's Kingsford "Competition blend". *This despite the fact that we
> would be over 40% less expensive at Costco and 1/2 the price of what Home
> Depot charges for the chemical company's brand!!! *Also, despite
> out-selling the chemical brand in each chain during the time that we were
> there.
>
> Please feel free to mention this on the forums:
>
> -TRADER JOE'S: * *RANCHER is selling at Trader Joe's across the country
> for $6.99/18lb($0.39/lb).
>
> -COSTCO: * *Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is $16.59 for 33lbs
> ($0.50/lb) !!!23% higher price than All-Natural RANCHER!!!
>
> -HOME DEPOT and LOWES: * *Clorox's (Kingsford) "Competition Blend" is
> $8.99 for 12lbs ($.075/lb) !!!48.2% higher price than All-Natural RANCHER!!!
>
> -Orchard Supply Hardwa * *Will carry RANCHER for a Memorial Day
> promotion well below the Costco price.
>
> We can ship pallet quantity direct for $350 (70X18LBS), plus freight as
> quoted by freightquotes.com. *We have been shipping pallets and even 1//2
> truck loads to individuals and groups around the country. *Please let us
> know what we can do for you. Thank you for your interest and support.
>
> Enjoy the day,
> Eric [Krause]

Are we talking lump here, or natural briquettes? Too bad they got
supplanted by "the chemical company". This is what I meant by them
squeezing out the little guy. Interesting that their retail price is
higher than Original Charcoal. Wonder what made Costco and HD
switch.

I'll have to remember to keep an eye out for the OSH Memorial Day
special. Although I think by then I'd have bought another 40 lb bag of
mesquite lump from Smart and Final.

Aloha,

Nathan Lau
San Jose, CA

#include <std.disclaimer>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Although I think by then I'd have bought another 40 lb bag of
mesquite lump from Smart and Final.

Man, does that Mesquite lump Snap Crackle and Pop or what?!

Ed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Nate Lau > wrote:

> Are we talking lump here, or natural briquettes?

Natural briquettes. Cornstarch and lump bound together into a
briquette. No borax like there is in Kingsford "Championship
Natural" briquettes.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

John O > wrote:

> It's funny (sad) how he keeps mentioning Clorox, the chemical company.

I kinda like Clorox Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, don't you?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On 9-Apr-2009, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Horn wrote:
> > In austin.food Sqwertz > wrote:
> >> Here's the skinny on the charcoal this year. It's not looking too good
> >>
> >> for many of us trying to find this charcoal.

> > Newflower has Hardwood brickets from South America in small bags.

> I didn't even think about looking there. I stop there at least once a
> week.
>
> > I didn't try them since I still have some of the good stuff from HD.

> "Good stuff" at Home Depot? They have Cowboy charcoal, which I don't like
>
> at all. Is there another brand?
>
> -sw
>

> >1 horn

<sarcasm mode on>
Kingsford charwood?
<sarcasm off>

--
Steve
-------------------------
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Apr-2009, "Brick" > wrote:

> > What's wrong with the Royal Oak lump charcoal sold at WalMart?
> > --
> > Janet Wilder
> > way-the-heck-south Texas
> > spelling doesn't count
> > but cooking does

> Royal Oak lump is fine if/when they have it. Wally World isn't too
> dependable here.
>
> --

do it best hardware stores (don't know if they're in TX) can special order
Royal Oak (either lump or briquettes)

--
Steve
-------------------------

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with the Royal Oak lump charcoal sold at WalMart?

> I have never seen any lump in any Walmart. And I look every time I'm at
> a Walmart (maybe 4 times a year, 3 different stores).
>
> -sw

You might want to ask. If my WalMart in Harlingen carries it, yours
should be able to get it, too. It's in the department where the seasonal
outdoor stuff is located. The one between the regular inside store and
the plant stuff.

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

"spud" > wrote:
> Although I think by then I'd have bought another 40 lb bag of
> mesquite lump from Smart and Final.
>
> Man, does that Mesquite lump Snap Crackle and Pop or what?!

It does that, Ed! I've been buying that stuff at S&F for years. It burns
clean and hot. A few of the big lumps don't completely char and you get a
hint of mesquite smell, occasionally.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with the Royal Oak lump charcoal sold at WalMart?

> I have never seen any lump in any Walmart. And I look every time I'm at
> a Walmart (maybe 4 times a year, 3 different stores).
>
> -sw

I have used it. It's pretty good, very small amount of chips and dust.

Don't remember what I paid for it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> John O > wrote:
>
>> It's funny (sad) how he keeps mentioning Clorox, the chemical company.

> I kinda like Clorox Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, don't you?

Yum!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> What's wrong with the Royal Oak lump charcoal sold at WalMart?

>> I have never seen any lump in any Walmart. And I look every time I'm at
>> a Walmart (maybe 4 times a year, 3 different stores).

> I have used it. It's pretty good, very small amount of chips and dust.
>
> Don't remember what I paid for it.

I don['t understand it. I live in Texas and Walmart, Lowes, and
Home Depot don't regularly carry any decent charcoal/lump. But HEB
and all the carnicieras stock shitloads of it.

It's all politics. The big box stores insist that You Must Buy
Kingsford products.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Shawn Martin > wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I have never seen any lump in any Walmart. And I look every time I'm at
>>> a Walmart (maybe 4 times a year, 3 different stores).

>> I have used it. It's pretty good, very small amount of chips and dust.
>>
>> Don't remember what I paid for it.

> I don['t understand it. I live in Texas and Walmart, Lowes, and
> Home Depot don't regularly carry any decent charcoal/lump. But HEB
> and all the carnicieras stock shitloads of it.
>
> It's all politics. The big box stores insist that You Must Buy
> Kingsford products.
>
> -sw

I live in Texas and two local WalMarts, Harlingen and San Benito stock
Royal Oak. You must live in the wrong part of Texas. <g>

--
Janet Wilder
way-the-heck-south Texas