Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default turkey breast?

I picked up a turkey breast for 99 cents a pound, frozen. I used to buy
those things and grind them and make turkey burgers a long time ago when
the kids were little. I'm curious how this meat would smoke, and what
you guys would suggest for how to go about it. Or butterfly it/grill it
or whatever. Brine? Rub?

... thanks

Grant
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:

> I picked up a turkey breast for 99 cents a pound, frozen. I used to buy
> those things and grind them and make turkey burgers a long time ago when
> the kids were little. I'm curious how this meat would smoke, and what
> you guys would suggest for how to go about it. Or butterfly it/grill it
> or whatever. Brine? Rub?
>
> .. thanks
>
> Grant

Brine it, for sure. I never bother with rub for this.

You can grill it if you want, but I much prefer it smoked.

I normally take each breast half and tie them together like
a roast, though you can smoke them individually. Tying it
into a roll makes for more even cooking, which is important
cause you really don't want to overcook white meat.

Smoke at around 250 F to 160 F internal. For best results
don't go above 160.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> I picked up a turkey breast for 99 cents a pound, frozen. I used to buy
> those things and grind them and make turkey burgers a long time ago when
> the kids were little. I'm curious how this meat would smoke, and what
> you guys would suggest for how to go about it. Or butterfly it/grill it
> or whatever. Brine? Rub?

You have to brine them before smoking - no question about that. I put a
tiny bit of sodium phosphate in my last batch to help it retain moisture
and it worked out OK. But I've had failures with that stuff as well. Use
to much and you've made rubber.

Brined breasts I'd cook to 155 or so, though I'm sure the USDA would frown
on that.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26 feb, 19:56, Grant Erwin > wrote:
> I picked up a turkey breast for 99 cents a pound, frozen. I used to buy
> those things and grind them and make turkey burgers a long time ago when
> the kids were little. I'm curious how this meat would smoke, and what
> you guys would suggest for how to go about it. Or butterfly it/grill it
> or whatever. Brine? Rub?
>
> .. thanks
>
> Grant

I always brine it for two days (water, salt, pepper, juniper berries,
bay leaves) and smoke it at 80 C/100 C till I get an internal temp of
70 C. I don't know what scale a I have on my mesurement scale. but
between 38 and 40 is salt enough for me. I eat the turkeybreast cold
on a sandwich or salad.
ps: after brining, let it soak for an hour in fresh water and make
sure the surface is dry before smoking (I use oak). smoking lean meat
is not easy, but it can be done

Adriaan
the Netherlands

When to buy a Turkey Breast ?? Woolstitcher General Cooking 4 17-11-2007 09:27 PM
Turkey breast Nancy Young General Cooking 23 05-06-2006 09:15 PM
doing a turkey breast Beth Cole Barbecue 3 29-04-2005 03:07 PM
Turkey Breast Peter Newman Barbecue 13 02-12-2004 01:30 AM
Turkey breast (again) Peter Barbecue 16 29-11-2004 03:14 AM