Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cleaning cast iron grills

Has any one had any experience cleaning their Weber porcelainized cast iron
grills in a self cleaning oven. Thought I would get my silver B grill
cleaned up but am a little hesitant about the above method. Any one been
there done that?? RM~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Rob Mills" > wrote in message
> Has any one had any experience cleaning their Weber porcelainized cast
> iron grills in a self cleaning oven. Thought I would get my silver B grill
> cleaned up but am a little hesitant about the above method. Any one been
> there done that?? RM~

I soak mine in an ammonia solutin and they come out like brand new. Best
done outside.

No reason they would be harmed in the oven. A good grill can reach the same
temperature and the frit was baked on at even higher temperature when they
were made.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Rob Mills" > wrote in message
>> Has any one had any experience cleaning their Weber porcelainized cast
>> iron grills in a self cleaning oven. Thought I would get my silver B grill
>> cleaned up but am a little hesitant about the above method. Any one been
>> there done that?? RM~

> I soak mine in an ammonia solutin and they come out like brand new. Best
> done outside.
>
> No reason they would be harmed in the oven. A good grill can reach the same
> temperature and the frit was baked on at even higher temperature when they
> were made.

I'd agree with Ed, but add....

In my case I've never bothered. When I'm done with a cook, I just leave
it alone. Next time I want to use it I put it on HHH until that
sucker's been HOT for a while and then hit it with a wire brush. Does it
look pristine new? Nope, but it's not gross either and it's been in
service for about 7 or 8 years so far.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 23:12:22 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Rob Mills" > wrote in message
>> Has any one had any experience cleaning their Weber porcelainized cast
>> iron grills in a self cleaning oven. Thought I would get my silver B grill
>> cleaned up but am a little hesitant about the above method. Any one been
>> there done that?? RM~

>I soak mine in an ammonia solutin and they come out like brand new. Best
>done outside.
>
>No reason they would be harmed in the oven. A good grill can reach the same
>temperature and the frit was baked on at even higher temperature when they
>were made.

Is ammonia solution available at places like Home Depot and such?
Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

<common mistake> wrote in message

> Is ammonia solution available at places like Home Depot and such?
> Thanks.

Supermarkets carry it with the cleaning supplies. Just don't mix it with
bleach.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message

>> Next time I want to use it I put it on HHH until that sucker's been HOT

for a while and then hit it with a wire brush.<<

That's about the way I've been doing only I leave all 3 burners on high for
about 30 minutes or so after I'm through grilling, it gets super hot. Mine
isn't too bad after about 5 years use,, just thought I'd give it a good
cleaning.
Think I'll give Ed's ammonia cleaning a try,,, I'd probably get in trouble
with my war dept if I put the grills in he oven anyway.

Thanks to all for your thoughts, RM~

PS, Been getting ammonia at a dollar store on the cheap. It works great to
keep raccoons out from under my storage building.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rob Mills wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>
>>> Next time I want to use it I put it on HHH until that sucker's been HOT

> for a while and then hit it with a wire brush.<<
>
> That's about the way I've been doing only I leave all 3 burners on high for
> about 30 minutes or so after I'm through grilling, it gets super hot. Mine
> isn't too bad after about 5 years use,, just thought I'd give it a good
> cleaning.
> Think I'll give Ed's ammonia cleaning a try,,, I'd probably get in trouble
> with my war dept if I put the grills in he oven anyway.
>
> Thanks to all for your thoughts, RM~
>
> PS, Been getting ammonia at a dollar store on the cheap. It works great to
> keep raccoons out from under my storage building.

well, be sure to report back on the results. Especially after using them
after the cleaning!

As for keeping critters away, you betcha. It was the only thing I ever
found to keep the grey squirrels from gnawing on the rubber gas lines on
our travel trailer....