Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default God remote thermometer?

I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
with.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Sparkout > wrote:
> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
> with.

Polder makes a good one.

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote:

> In alt.food.barbecue, Sparkout > wrote:
>> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
>> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
>> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
>> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
>> with.

> Polder makes a good one.

I would suspect the Taylor and Polder are identical inside (as well
as the probes). That's the way it is with their corded
thermometers.

The Maverick has had mostly good reviews here over the years.
Currently being sold at CostCo for $20. Looks like they're selling
the Oregon Scientific online as well:

<http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043977&search=thermometer&Mo =3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=thermometer&Ntt=thermometer&No= 1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1>

Looks sturdy.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer > wrote:

> I have several Taylors, which I've had for several years. They're used in
> the smoker, oven and deep fryer. When not being used for cooking, they
> monitor the temperature in my 'fridge and around the house. The only
> problem I've had is having to replace a battery in one.

I've had my Taylors for a while now, too. My only gripe is that the
wires inside the probes can be fragile (don't wind the cords), and
the replacement probes they sold me are 7-18F degrees off.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sparkout" > wrote in message
> I need advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god
> luck with.

If you want god luck you have to wait until spring time. Our parish priest
does a Blessing of the Thermometers the Sunday before Memorial Day so we can
have god luck with cooking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sparkout wrote:
> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
> with.

I suggest you are either misusing them or very unlucky. I've had Taylors
for years. No, read as zero, problems.

Don't know what to tell you. I used to have Polders but had some
problems with them. I suspect that it was just getting bad ones as well.

Luck of the draw... <shrug>

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Dec-2008, "Sparkout" > wrote:

> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a
> couple,
> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
>
> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
> with.

I wish I had good news. I used a 'Timex" for years. When the central unit
went west, they were no longer making them. I think I bought that one off
the wall, 'literally' at a K-Mart store. I'm currently using a pair
of "no name" therms possibly made by Oregon Scientific. I've had them
so long, I can't remember when exactly I got them. I think sometime in
'04. I bought three from overstock.com and gave one away. The other
two are still going strong. I did have to replace a battery in one of them.
They don't have a name on them, so I have no idea who actually made
them. I also have and use "Accurite' and 'Taylor' instant read probe
thermometers. I had to replace the battery in the Taylor digital not too
long ago. No big deal. I haven't had any "Remote Therms". I actually
don't really need one. I can read my therms from my Lanai door from
the inside. I have no actual experience with remote therms. I'd guess
you shouldn't leave them in the sun or rain. Otherwise, what could
happen to them? One guy a couple of years ago was clipping his
cable-probe therm on the side of his WSM. He begged for advice
after two of them failed. Never had a clue that the heat from his
smoker was cooking his therms as well.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 25-Dec-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> > I have several Taylors, which I've had for several years. They're used
> > in
> > the smoker, oven and deep fryer. When not being used for cooking, they
> > monitor the temperature in my 'fridge and around the house. The only
> > problem I've had is having to replace a battery in one.

> I've had my Taylors for a while now, too. My only gripe is that the
> wires inside the probes can be fragile (don't wind the cords), and
> the replacement probes they sold me are 7-18F degrees off.
>
> -sw

I always wind my cord around my hand in a circle about 2.5" dia. I've
never had a cord failure.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> ObFood (not bbq)--had maybe the best-ever roast beef for Xmas dinner.
> Went shopping way late on Xmas Eve due to a lot of transportation and
> weather factors, so the only rib roasts left at the one store that was
> still open were USDA Prime Angus. Spent more than I had in mind, but
> whoo boy, was it ever good!!! And I managed to not ruin it in the
> cooking. Got it done just right.

I've got a 1-rib USDA Prime steak/roast to cook tonight. It was the
only one left as well. Pictures later.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Dec-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:41:26 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
> >Nick Cramer > wrote:
> >
> >> I have several Taylors, which I've had for several years. They're used
> >> in
> >> the smoker, oven and deep fryer. When not being used for cooking, they
> >> monitor the temperature in my 'fridge and around the house. The only
> >> problem I've had is having to replace a battery in one.

> >I've had my Taylors for a while now, too. My only gripe is that the
> >wires inside the probes can be fragile (don't wind the cords), and
> >the replacement probes they sold me are 7-18F degrees off.

> I've got a Polder--the probe that came with it is off by some amount.
> I also have the probe that came with some semi-generic or such, and
> it's also off. I'm not sure which is which at this point. I'm also
> not sure just how much either is off. I probably should put some kind
> of color-code on them at the plug end, and then test 'em with ice
> water and boiling water.
>
> Went online to see about buying a replacement probe or two, but I
> can't find any reference at all to the model Polder I have, so I don't
> know which friggin' probe to buy.
>
> ObFood (not bbq)--had maybe the best-ever roast beef for Xmas dinner.
> Went shopping way late on Xmas Eve due to a lot of transportation and
> weather factors, so the only rib roasts left at the one store that was
> still open were USDA Prime Angus. Spent more than I had in mind, but
> whoo boy, was it ever good!!! And I managed to not ruin it in the
> cooking. Got it done just right.
>
> -- >
> -denny-

Hoo boy. I'd have jumped on that in a New York second. I really like
a good roast. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? I would
have seared that real good on all sides and then put it in an oven or in
the
smoker at about 325°F until the center reached about 135° or maybe even
a little less. I can almost taste it while I'm writing this.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 25, 4:54*pm, "Sparkout" > wrote:
> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
> with.

Try a gander here there's a nice dual probe from Maverick. I'm sure
it's available from other sources as well.
http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/4.htm

Rick
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Currently being sold at CostCo for $20. Looks like they're selling
>the Oregon Scientific online as well:
>
><http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043977&search=thermometer&Mo =3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=thermometer&Ntt=thermometer&No= 1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1>

I've had a couple Oregon Scientific thermometers for a few years. They
work great (at least until my "canine genius" pulled one off the
counter and tried to eat the sending unit). The only drawback is that
mine max out at 200 deg., so they won't work to monitor pit temp.

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx > wrote:

>>Currently being sold at CostCo for $20. Looks like they're selling
>>the Oregon Scientific online as well:
>>
>><http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10043977&search=thermometer&Mo =3&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=m ode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogNa me:BC&Ne=4000000&D=thermometer&Ntt=thermometer&No= 1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1>

> I've had a couple Oregon Scientific thermometers for a few years. They
> work great (at least until my "canine genius" pulled one off the
> counter and tried to eat the sending unit). The only drawback is that
> mine max out at 200 deg., so they won't work to monitor pit temp.

Yeah - I noticed the specs on that unit right after I posted it.
100ft range doesn't sound like a lot either. Subtract 20-25ft for
each wall in between.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Rick > wrote:

> On Dec 25, 4:54*pm, "Sparkout" > wrote:
>> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
>> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
>> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
>> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
>> with.

> Try a gander here there's a nice dual probe from Maverick. I'm sure
> it's available from other sources as well.
> http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/4.htm

I believe this is the one going for ~$20 at CostCo. Not $60 on
your^H^H^H^Hthat site.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Dec-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 18:41:12 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:
>
> >> ObFood (not bbq)--had maybe the best-ever roast beef for Xmas dinner.
> >> Went shopping way late on Xmas Eve due to a lot of transportation and
> >> weather factors, so the only rib roasts left at the one store that was
> >> still open were USDA Prime Angus. Spent more than I had in mind, but
> >> whoo boy, was it ever good!!! And I managed to not ruin it in the
> >> cooking. Got it done just right.
> >>

> >Hoo boy. I'd have jumped on that in a New York second. I really like
> >a good roast. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? I would
> >have seared that real good on all sides and then put it in an oven or in
> >the
> >smoker at about 325°F until the center reached about 135° or maybe even
> >a little less. I can almost taste it while I'm writing this.

> I seared the cut ends for about 4 min each then into the oven at 450
> for 15 min, then dropped to 300. My dial-type instant read
> thermometer read 125 when I pulled the roast; after 20 min it'd gone
> up to 130. The center was rare, the outer slices--discounting of
> course the outer half-inch--were medium rare. This was only a 2-bone
> roast, but a largish one of 5.15 lb. More than sufficient for the two
> of us. (me and Desideria, who's still here, watching the snow fly
> EAIS)
>
> --
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
>
> -denny-

Sounds like you got it just like you wanted it. I like mine well seared
on the outside with the center just warm. I don't manage it all that
often, but I try. I braised a nice sirloin roast today. I thought it was
a chuck roast until I got it unpacked. Then it looked so good I went
ahead and braised it with some veggies anyway. I seared it top and
bottom in a smoking hot 'DRY' skillet and then laid it on a bed of
sacrificial veggies in a covered dutch oven. I used homemade vegetable
stock for the braising liquid and added fresh vegetables about 30 min
before I took it off. It turned out 'grandma gummy' tender and there's
plenty left for lunch tomorrow. Veggies were potato, fennel, carrot,
celery and onion.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx > wrote:
> >Currently being sold at CostCo for $20. Looks like they're selling
> >the Oregon Scientific online as well:
> >
> ><http://www.costco.com/ . . . .

> I've had a couple Oregon Scientific thermometers for a few years. They
> work great (at least until my "canine genius" pulled one off the
> counter and tried to eat the sending unit). The only drawback is that
> mine max out at 200 deg., so they won't work to monitor pit temp.

Omega HHM290

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:53:34 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

(snip)

>ObFood (not bbq)--had maybe the best-ever roast beef for Xmas dinner.
>Went shopping way late on Xmas Eve due to a lot of transportation and
>weather factors, so the only rib roasts left at the one store that was
>still open were USDA Prime Angus. Spent more than I had in mind, but
>whoo boy, was it ever good!!! And I managed to not ruin it in the
>cooking. Got it done just right.

And I even left all the leftover roast for him! ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
D K D K is offline

Rick wrote:
> On Dec 25, 4:54 pm, "Sparkout" > wrote:
>> I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
>> thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
>> but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
>> advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
>> with.

> Try a gander here there's a nice dual probe from Maverick. I'm sure
> it's available from other sources as well.
> http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/4.htm
>
> Rick

I have this one and, IIRC, I paid in the $40 range for it. The dual
probe is the way to go for overnight 'cue.

-dk
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sparkout" > wrote in message
>I have had it with the string of cheap ass piece of junk Taylor remote
>thermometers I have bought. Every one has failed, Taylr replaced a couple,
>but they are a bit sick of me, and I am damn sick of them as well. I need
>advice on quality remote, digital thermometers you all have had god luck
>with.

I've been extremely happy with my Maverick ET-73 smoker thermometer. It has
two temp probes, one for smoker/chamber temps and the other for internal
meat temps. Allows you to set alarms for both temps probes. wireless, so
it allows me to.. ahem 'monitor' my smoker from my couch/bed. Great for
extended/overnight smokes.

I don't remember where I ordered mine from, but Amazon now carries this
model as well.

Matt

remote thermometer for WSM Zz Yzx Barbecue 8 15-03-2012 05:03 PM
remote thermometer charlyhorse Barbecue 4 02-10-2007 06:50 PM
What remote thermometer do you recommend? It's arse not ass Barbecue 3 21-11-2006 09:57 AM
remote thermometer dsjumper Barbecue 2 19-07-2005 07:58 PM
Remote thermometer recommedations p-nut Barbecue 13 02-07-2005 03:33 AM