Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default So, I went to Austin

I scanned Texas Monthly's Barbecue article in the Dr's office beforehand,
but I really didn't have enough time to assimilate all the info. Back in the
seventies, when TM first published a list, I spent a lot of time and drove
a lot of miles checking out about 90% of the places listed. But this was just
a weekend getaway with the chance to sample a couple of places.

I had a couple of hours only to kill around lunchtime Friday, so I took a short
Hill Country sight-seeing loop out 290. I thought TM mentioned a place in Dripping
Springs but I couldn't remember the name. No matter, Dripping Springs
is pretty small, and I stopped at Riley's downtown (bikers welcome ;-)). It was
very good, the sauce was very sweet and I didn't even try Riley's new "sweet"
sauce. I had the hoagie plate w/slaw. I would return.

In Johnson City I was again perplexed. Which place was on TM's list
I chose Ken's World Class, which worried me a little, because usually
an advertised claim of "world class" indicates it's probably not.
The sandwich was generous, tender, and juicy, the sauce was in
ketchup containers (ketchup?). It was good, but I wouldn't drive 240
miles to return.

Next afternoon, I awoke in beautiful Lockhart State Park. :-) So far,
I have always found a campsite there, although it was crowded.
McKinney Falls was full up as it has been the last four times I've
attempted a stay there. (I saw the biggest whitetail buck I have
ever seen as I was leaving the MF park entrance.)

I usually go to Kreuz but this time I picked Lockhart Chisholm
Trail. I got the beef plate w/cornbread and homemade bread.
The meat was very Very good as were the sides and sauce.
I would recommend it. Got a pound to go and headed north.

Skipped the place in Elgin, to get to Mueller's in Taylor.
Mueller's was on that old legacy TM list, but somehow
I never stopped there as I thought it was so close to
I-35, I would get there next time. That was 30 years ago.
Mueller's was out of meat when I arrived.;-( Taylor and
Elgin are top of the agenda on the next occasion.

Pulled into my driveway at 10:00 PM and nuked the
pound for a minute with some H.E.B. bakery rolls and
jalapenos and cheese from the fridge. yum

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Well... all in all it sounds like a pretty successful trip, with a
good route for the next one.

Robert*

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message ...
Well... all in all it sounds like a pretty successful trip, with a
good route for the next one.

Robert

Definitely, Mueller's is the brass ring.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

picz77 wrote:
> I scanned Texas Monthly's Barbecue article in the Dr's office beforehand,
> but I really didn't have enough time to assimilate all the info. Back in the
> seventies, when TM first published a list, I spent a lot of time and drove
> a lot of miles checking out about 90% of the places listed. But this was just
> a weekend getaway with the chance to sample a couple of places.
>
> I had a couple of hours only to kill around lunchtime Friday, so I took a short
> Hill Country sight-seeing loop out 290. I thought TM mentioned a place in Dripping
> Springs but I couldn't remember the name. No matter, Dripping Springs
> is pretty small, and I stopped at Riley's downtown (bikers welcome ;-)). It was
> very good, the sauce was very sweet and I didn't even try Riley's new "sweet"
> sauce. I had the hoagie plate w/slaw. I would return.
>
> In Johnson City I was again perplexed. Which place was on TM's list
> I chose Ken's World Class, which worried me a little, because usually
> an advertised claim of "world class" indicates it's probably not.
> The sandwich was generous, tender, and juicy, the sauce was in
> ketchup containers (ketchup?). It was good, but I wouldn't drive 240
> miles to return.
>
> Next afternoon, I awoke in beautiful Lockhart State Park. :-) So far,
> I have always found a campsite there, although it was crowded.
> McKinney Falls was full up as it has been the last four times I've
> attempted a stay there. (I saw the biggest whitetail buck I have
> ever seen as I was leaving the MF park entrance.)
>
> I usually go to Kreuz but this time I picked Lockhart Chisholm
> Trail. I got the beef plate w/cornbread and homemade bread.
> The meat was very Very good as were the sides and sauce.
> I would recommend it. Got a pound to go and headed north.
>
> Skipped the place in Elgin, to get to Mueller's in Taylor.
> Mueller's was on that old legacy TM list, but somehow
> I never stopped there as I thought it was so close to
> I-35, I would get there next time. That was 30 years ago.
> Mueller's was out of meat when I arrived.;-( Taylor and
> Elgin are top of the agenda on the next occasion.
>
> Pulled into my driveway at 10:00 PM and nuked the
> pound for a minute with some H.E.B. bakery rolls and
> jalapenos and cheese from the fridge. yum

Good job. Heck, I live here and never been to Riley's or Ken's.
Definitley not a shortage of damn good bbq 'round here.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Frank Mancuso" > wrote in message ...
> picz77 wrote:
>>

>> yum
>>

> Good job. Heck, I live here and never been to Riley's or Ken's.
> Definitley not a shortage of damn good bbq 'round here.

In the old days, we had Mexican food when we went to Austin,
and the obligatory trip to Nighthawk. Then in the '70's it was
Hippie food, sprouts and avocado ect.
My town was full of BBQ joints, no reason to go anywhere else.
Now there's more sushi places than BBQ here. ;-)

Fun in Austin Villanueva General Cooking 0 25-10-2015 12:49 AM
Fun in Austin Cheri[_3_] General Cooking 0 24-10-2015 03:49 PM
Austin, TX BBQ? Barbecue 20 13-11-2006 11:14 PM
anyone been to austin TXZZ Sushi 2 22-10-2005 05:15 AM
Roy's - in Austin,TX berry Restaurants 5 06-03-2004 08:25 PM