Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default New Smoker Ordered w/ gloat

I went to order the Weber Summit S-420 today only to fine out that they
were out of them at the warehouse. I asked the store manager if he could
check what they did have available. He was having trouble with the
computer and a gentleman in a suit and tie stepped in and took over. He
check this number then that number and finally asked if I had a big
family. I asked why and he said he would make me a deal on a larger grill.
I order Weber Gas Grills Summit S-670 Natural Gas Grill W/ Rotisserie &
Smoker. I came up $200 and he came down $500. I got it for $1250 about
half off. Ace Hardware has 14 of the 16 that they started the summer now
that I have ordered mine. The guy in the suit was the regional manager. He
said that he would rather sale me one at $1250 than have it continue to
sit in his warehouse. It should be here next Wednesday. They will deliever
and assemble it on Thursday. Steaks and lamb chops at my house Thursday
night.

Has anyone used the smoker part of a weber before. I thought that the
water from Natural Gas or LP blocked smoke. I am going to have to
investigate this more.

I want to thank those that helped me find my new grill and to those corn
and peanut holders; go flush yourself.

--
Master Chef Richard Campbell
100% Delightfully Evil for Your Protection

I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long
and I assume they deserve it. --Dogbert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Master Chef Richard Campbell wrote:

> I went to order the Weber Summit S-420 today only to fine out that they
> were out of them at the warehouse. I asked the store manager if he
> could check what they did have available. He was having trouble with
> the computer and a gentleman in a suit and tie stepped in and took
> over. He check this number then that number and finally asked if I had
> a big family. I asked why and he said he would make me a deal on a
> larger grill. I order Weber Gas Grills Summit S-670 Natural Gas Grill
> W/ Rotisserie & Smoker. I came up $200 and he came down $500. I got it
> for $1250 about half off. Ace Hardware has 14 of the 16 that they
> started the summer now that I have ordered mine. The guy in the suit
> was the regional manager. He said that he would rather sale me one at
> $1250 than have it continue to sit in his warehouse. It should be here
> next Wednesday. They will deliever and assemble it on Thursday. Steaks
> and lamb chops at my house Thursday night.
>
> Has anyone used the smoker part of a weber before. I thought that the
> water from Natural Gas or LP blocked smoke. I am going to have to
> investigate this more.
>
> I want to thank those that helped me find my new grill and to those
> corn and peanut holders; go flush yourself.

Congrats. Sounds like you'll be busy with a lot of cooking.

Don't forget to try that rotisserie. I'm using mine more
and more these days. Love the self basting effect.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Master Chef Richard Campbell wrote:

> Has anyone used the smoker part of a weber before. I thought that the
> water from Natural Gas or LP blocked smoke. I am going to have to
> investigate this more.

Where is this "8,000 BTU Smoker Burner" located inside the unit? It
sounds like a burner with steel smoker box on top of it.

Not sure if I'd qualify that as a smoker, but it might work for some things.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Master Chef Richard Campbell wrote:

> Has anyone used the smoker part of a weber before. I thought that the
> water from Natural Gas or LP blocked smoke. I am going to have to
> investigate this more.
>
> I want to thank those that helped me find my new grill and to those corn
> and peanut holders; go flush yourself.

In the business world, there was the old joke about IBM: Nobody ever
got fired for buying IBM equipment. That same thing can be said for
Weber. They make good equipment, but also are well respected for
standing behind their product when something might go wrong.

--
Nonnymus-

We have reached a time in our nations history
where the grasshopper is slowly consuming
the ant. Whatever happened that made thrift, hard
work and family the target of liberal rage?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Master Chef Richard Campbell wrote:
>
>> Has anyone used the smoker part of a weber before. I thought that the
>> water from Natural Gas or LP blocked smoke. I am going to have to
>> investigate this more.

> Where is this "8,000 BTU Smoker Burner" located inside the unit? It
> sounds like a burner with steel smoker box on top of it.
>
> Not sure if I'd qualify that as a smoker, but it might work for some
> things.
>
> -sw

My Sam's Club grill has such an arrangement. The burner is long- like a
log lighter in the FP looks, and is controlled by a typical valve.
Above it is an SS box about 4" wide, 2" deep and as long as the depth of
the grill, about 20", I'd guess. Wood chips are placed in the box, the
lighter is lit and when smoke comes forth, I cut off the fire and let it
smoke. I quickly learned that wrapping foil around the box before
inserting it, and poking in some holes removed any chance of fire, while
letting the smoke out. Moisture from the gas fire or lighter have not
seemed to be an issue, perhaps because of all the ventilation in the
grill body itself.

--
Nonnymus-

We have reached a time in our nations history
where the grasshopper is slowly consuming
the ant. Whatever happened that made thrift, hard
work and family the target of liberal rage?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Water should not be a problem, you get water when ou burn wood and or
charcoal. Hydrocarbon is hydrocarbon just arraranged a little
different that is all you still get Oxygen to hook up with the
Hydrogen and still get water in both...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 15, 3:58*pm, Nonnymus > wrote:

> *Nobody ever
> got fired for buying IBM equipment. *That same thing can be said for
> Weber. *They make good equipment, but also are well respected for
> standing behind their product when something might go wrong.

Certainly been my experience with them. They stood behind the
products they sold me 110%.

Robert
Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
On Oct 15, 3:58*pm, Nonnymus wrote:

*Nobody ever
got fired for buying IBM equipment. *That same thing can be said for
Weber. *They make good equipment, but also are well respected for
standing behind their product when something might go wrong.

Certainly been my experience with them. They stood behind the
products they sold me 110%.

Robert
I am new to this BB and I'm a bit short on time but I have lots of experience with the Weber Summit series with smoker box. That's what I use, now, sans rotisserie burner/spit.

This will make wonderfully smoked 'cue. I use hickory wood chunks, not the chips or any fruit wood I can get - Almond is superb! I smoke ribs using a dry rub, only, for about 4.5 to 5 hrs and they come out moist, tender and very good texture and smoke flavor. You must hold your temp. to no more than 250 deg. F for that long a time - higher will dry out the meat. Beef ribs and chicken are much shorter in time. You can also do pork shoulder, beef tri tip, chuck steak, etc.

More later when I have a little more time.

Sorry, must run!

And, yes, Weber is a super company. I was lucky enough to have participated in their national TV ad back in 2005 & 06. The theme was "real people with real grills." I was the Asian guy that had the heart attack and "died" on the commuter train.

Jim

Breakfast gloat... George L General Cooking 18 25-01-2012 07:26 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 1 18-04-2005 02:56 PM
Char-Broil Quickset Charcoal Smoker compared to Silver Smoker? Kent Barbecue 0 18-04-2005 01:24 AM
Chicken gloat Kevin Craig Barbecue 5 15-02-2005 03:44 AM
Wood Gloat DL Barbecue 1 08-06-2004 03:02 AM