Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Stoopid question: cutting "country ribs" from a pork shoulder roast

I've heard that "country" or "farmer" style ribs are just sliced pork
shoulder roast.

So I got one ($1.49/lb). But no matter how I cut it, none of the cuts
looked like the stuff sold in the store ($2.59/lb).

Any help?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> I've heard that "country" or "farmer" style ribs are just sliced pork
> shoulder roast.
>
> So I got one ($1.49/lb). But no matter how I cut it, none of the cuts
> looked like the stuff sold in the store ($2.59/lb).
>
> Any help?
>
> Thanks a heap,
> -Zz

See the chart he

http://virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Loin - 33.8 pounds, 18 percent of the carcass

3.2 pounds of backribs,
10.7 pounds of boneless loin,
7.6 pounds of country-style ribs,
5.7 pounds of sirloin roast,
1.6 pounds of tenderloin,
1.6 pounds of trimmings
and 3.4 pounds of fat and bone

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Zz Yzx" > wrote in message

> > I've heard that "country" or "farmer" style ribs are just sliced pork
> > shoulder roast.
> > []

> See the chart he
>
> http://virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html
> []

Thanks, Dimitri.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Woohoo! Good news.

"Older cooking references may cite a need to cook all pork, including chops,
to an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C) or even 170°F (76°) in order to
eliminate the threat of trichinosis. This relatively high temperature has
the unfortunate side effect of exacerbating pork's dryness problem.

However, current US FDA regulations for the preparation of pork state that a
minimum internal temperature of 144°F (62.2°C) is sufficient to ensure the
destruction of the parasite. This temperature is below pork's temperature
for medium doneness, typically around 150°F (65°C). Note that the meat near
the bone in bone-in cuts will generally be several degrees lower than the
rest of the chop."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_chop

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® > wrote:

> However, current US FDA regulations for the preparation of pork state that a
> minimum internal temperature of 144°F (62.2°C) is sufficient to ensure the
> destruction of the parasite. This temperature is below pork's temperature
> for medium doneness, typically around 150°F (65°C). Note that the meat near
> the bone in bone-in cuts will generally be several degrees lower than the
> rest of the chop."

I eat raw cured ham that hasn't been heated above 100F. I'm still
alive and worm-free.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> TFM® > wrote:
>
>> However, current US FDA regulations for the preparation of pork state
>> that a
>> minimum internal temperature of 144°F (62.2°C) is sufficient to ensure
>> the
>> destruction of the parasite. This temperature is below pork's temperature
>> for medium doneness, typically around 150°F (65°C). Note that the meat
>> near
>> the bone in bone-in cuts will generally be several degrees lower than the
>> rest of the chop."

> I eat raw cured ham that hasn't been heated above 100F. I'm still
> alive and worm-free.
>
> -sw

But if somebody cooks and eats you, they're ****ed.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> I eat raw cured ham that hasn't been heated above 100F. I'm still
> alive and worm-free.
>
> -sw

Good chewing tobacco will keep you worm free, also.

--
Nonnymus-

Some folk say that Southern good old boys
aren’t too smart. To that, let me remind you
that anyone who builds a city 10’ BELOW sea level
and fills it with Democrats can’t be too dumb.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® > wrote:

> But if somebody cooks and eats you, they're ****ed.

If somebody's in a position that necessitates eating me, then
they're already ****ed before their first bite.

-sw