Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Andouille Sausage

Gonna have a mudbug boil here Saturday so I made up some of this
sausage yesterday. Will smoke it all come Friday.

Here's the recipe if anyone wants it...

Andouille Sausage

5 lbs pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes

combine the following in a bowl:
2 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp paprika
1/4 cup chopped fresh garlic
1/8 cup fresh ground black pepper
3 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 cup ice water

Toss this mixture with the meat, making sure it is well coated. Cover
tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces, grinding the other half
with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with 1/8 Cup Non-
Fat Powdered Milk (this is a binder)

Stuff the sausage into Hog Casings. Tie each sausage link with kitchen
string to make a loop for hanging uncovered in the refrigerator
overnight to let the casings dry out to allow for better smoke
absorption.

I use oak lump as the heat source and pecan chips for the smoke. Smoke
it at 130° F for 2 hours then bump the heat to 165° F for another 2
1/2 hours, refreshing the pecan chips as needed.
Don't get too hot a fire or the heat will render the fat out of the
sausage. Cook to an internal temperature of 155° F. Remove and
refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

Portion and store in vacuum sealed packages in the freezer.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe > wrote:
> Gonna have a mudbug boil here Saturday so I made up some of this
> sausage yesterday. Will smoke it all come Friday.
>
> Here's the recipe if anyone wants it...
>
> Andouille Sausage
> [recipe snipped]

Sounds good. I've gotta run that by Jun!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"frohe" > wrote in message
[...]

-----------------------

Thanks, saved for future use.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Frohe,
Thanks for the sausage recipe and info! I'm always looking for new
recipes plus variations of. Great detail on the how to and general
doings.
Piedmont
In and out of reality, or is it relativity.

frohe wrote:
> Gonna have a mudbug boil here Saturday so I made up some of this
> sausage yesterday. Will smoke it all come Friday.
>
> Here's the recipe if anyone wants it...
>
> Andouille Sausage

Snip
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 9, 2:20*am, frohe > wrote:
> Gonna have a mudbug boil here Saturday so I made up some of this
> sausage yesterday. *Will smoke it all come Friday.

As a followup, I smoked the sausages this morning since Hurricane Ike
is heading this way tomorrow. They have a wonderful smell; I can't
wait to test-taste one tomorrow before dropping the rest into the
mudbug boil.

-frohe

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

frohe wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2:20 am, frohe > wrote:
>> Gonna have a mudbug boil here Saturday so I made up some of this
>> sausage yesterday. Will smoke it all come Friday.

> As a followup, I smoked the sausages this morning since Hurricane Ike
> is heading this way tomorrow. They have a wonderful smell; I can't
> wait to test-taste one tomorrow before dropping the rest into the
> mudbug boil.

Why wait? It would be against my religion to take something to a
party without having tasted it beforehand.

Which is just a lame excuse. What I really mean is I'd be
taste-testing that stuff before it's even done on the smoker. Who
here hasn't ripped the flap or even whole rib off the small end of
a rack of untrimmed spares while they were still cooking?

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 12, 1:14*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Why wait?

Simple. To let the smoke flavor work its way on thru the rest of the
sausage.

> What I really mean is I'd be taste-testing that stuff before it's even done on the smoker. *

There's a big taste difference by waiting a few hours to let the smoke
flavor work its magic.

> Who here hasn't ripped the flap or even whole rib off the small end of
> a rack of untrimmed spares while they were still cooking?

Sorry; I can't raise my hand on this one.

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Sep-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:

> frohe wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 2:20 am, frohe > wrote:
> >> Gonna have a mudbug boil here Saturday so I made up some of this
> >> sausage yesterday. Will smoke it all come Friday.

> > As a followup, I smoked the sausages this morning since Hurricane Ike
> > is heading this way tomorrow. They have a wonderful smell; I can't
> > wait to test-taste one tomorrow before dropping the rest into the
> > mudbug boil.

> Why wait? It would be against my religion to take something to a
> party without having tasted it beforehand.
>
> Which is just a lame excuse. What I really mean is I'd be
> taste-testing that stuff before it's even done on the smoker. Who
> here hasn't ripped the flap or even whole rib off the small end of
> a rack of untrimmed spares while they were still cooking?
>
> -sw

I've only been working a smoker/pit since 2003, but I never have
done as you describe. I confess, I've never torn off a piece and
tasted it while the rest was still in the pit. Frankly, I don't do much
if any tasting while I'm pulling/packing the meat either. But, I'm
an old fart and it takes more to entertain me these days.

--
Brick(Too old to cut the mustard, but still eager to lick the jar.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> frohe wrote:
>> On Sep 9, 2:20 am, frohe > wrote:
>>> Gonna have a mudbug boil here Saturday so I made up some of this
>>> sausage yesterday. Will smoke it all come Friday.

>> As a followup, I smoked the sausages this morning since Hurricane Ike
>> is heading this way tomorrow. They have a wonderful smell; I can't
>> wait to test-taste one tomorrow before dropping the rest into the
>> mudbug boil.

> Why wait? It would be against my religion to take something to a party
> without having tasted it beforehand.
>
> Which is just a lame excuse. What I really mean is I'd be taste-testing
> that stuff before it's even done on the smoker. Who here hasn't ripped
> the flap or even whole rib off the small end of a rack of untrimmed spares
> while they were still cooking?
>
> -sw

Dude, when I'm cooking, I'm eating.
When it's done, I'll have no part of it. I'm full.

Eat up, my friends, this is for y'all. I've had my fill.

TFM®