Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Default St. Louis BBQ

I haven't had to try a lot of BBQ outside of the PNW, but when I sampled
some St. Louis BBQ, I was left with the feeling of, "how can I make my
home made 'Q taste like this?". We went to Roper's Ribs and got some STL
ribs, some chicken, some beef rib tips, and some pork riblets. Sides
were slaw and beans.

I need to take some lessons from these guys, all their stuff was super
tender, smokey beyond what I could imagine, and the sauce was stuff I
only dream of. I'm sure it's within my limits, but the differences
bewteen the wood and type of cooking left me in the back woods.

I'll be trying other spots tomorrow and posting some pics on my
picasaweb site.

Not a plug, just good 'Q,
--Brett
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 6, 8:15*pm, vex > wrote:

> I'll be trying other spots tomorrow and posting some pics on my
> picasaweb site.
>
> Not a plug, just good 'Q,
> * *--Brett

Damn, restaraunt stuff that's better than home? I haven't seen it yet.
But then I'm in the BBQ backwoods way out here by the Pacific.
You Kansas City and Southern guys, can restaraunt stuff be as good as
we make in our backyards?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Sep 6, 8:15 pm, vex > wrote:
>
>> I'll be trying other spots tomorrow and posting some pics on my
>> picasaweb site.
>>
>> Not a plug, just good 'Q,
>> --Brett

> Damn, restaraunt stuff that's better than home? I haven't seen it yet.
> But then I'm in the BBQ backwoods way out here by the Pacific.
> You Kansas City and Southern guys, can restaraunt stuff be as good as
> we make in our backyards?

My eating out experience isn't all that broad, but I've had some
local (Tampa, FL) 'Q' that rivals anything I can make. The thing
is, the two places I know of that make decent 'Q', make it just
like I do albeit in larger quantities. They cook with wood in real
pits. And they've been doing it for a long time. One of them isn't
even open a lot of the time. They are open during the hours they
have found to be productive.Speaking of which, I'm headed down to
Jazzy's in a few minutes to pick up a combination plate for lunch.

Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 6, 10:35*pm, Tutall > wrote:
> You Kansas City and Southern guys, can restaraunt stuff be as good as
> we make in our backyards?

Like Brick said in his reply, there are a few restaurants that make
damn good Q but they do it just like us homefolk - they have pits and
use wood.

There's a little shack BBQ place over this way that's open from 11am
til he's sold out then re-opens at 5pm until it's gone again. I asked
him once how long he's open then. He grins and said "About an hour
each time. I guess folks like my BBQ."

Sometimes I let my kids get between my ears for a while when they say
I should open a BBQ joint. But then I wake up and forget the idea
just as quickly. I don't wanna work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day.
I'm just too lazy for that and need my personal downtime for other
adventures like naps. <g>

-frohe
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Sep-2008, frohe > wrote:

> On Sep 6, 10:35*pm, Tutall > wrote:

> > You Kansas City and Southern guys, can restaraunt stuff be as good as

> > we make in our backyards?

> Like Brick said in his reply, there are a few restaurants that make

> damn good Q but they do it just like us homefolk - they have pits and

> use wood.

> There's a little shack BBQ place over this way that's open from 11am

> til he's sold out then re-opens at 5pm until it's gone again. I asked

> him once how long he's open then. He grins and said "About an hour

> each time. I guess folks like my BBQ."

> Sometimes I let my kids get between my ears for a while when they say

> I should open a BBQ joint. But then I wake up and forget the idea

> just as quickly. I don't wanna work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day.

> I'm just too lazy for that and need my personal downtime for other

> adventures like naps. <g>

> -frohe

Hear, hear. I like everything about running my own BBQ joint except
for the work and the long hours. I pass. I'll cook for birthdays and
other special events and let it go at that. Okay, sometimes I'll cook
just because I feel like it, but not all that often.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 7-Sep-2008, frohe > wrote:

>> Sometimes I let my kids get between my ears for a while when they say

>> I should open a BBQ joint. But then I wake up and forget the idea

>> just as quickly. I don't wanna work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day.

>> I'm just too lazy for that and need my personal downtime for other

>> adventures like naps. <g>

>> -frohe

> Hear, hear. I like everything about running my own BBQ joint except
> for the work and the long hours. I pass. I'll cook for birthdays and
> other special events and let it go at that. Okay, sometimes I'll cook
> just because I feel like it, but not all that often.

I bet that if I had to get up and do it every morning, a lot of the fun
would evaporate. The guys I know who own restaurants are some of the
hardest working folk around.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus- this space is
reserved for a .sig, but only
when I can write one that isn’t
insulting to politicians.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:

> I haven't had to try a lot of BBQ outside of the PNW, but when I
> sampled some St. Louis BBQ, I was left with the feeling of, "how can
> I make my home made 'Q taste like this?". We went to Roper's Ribs and
> got some STL ribs, some chicken, some beef rib tips, and some pork
> riblets. Sides were slaw and beans.

I have not been by there. They have a small web site:

<http://www.ropersribs.com/>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 9, 3:06*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> The pressures of constantly catering large amounts of food to
> variable amounts of people isn's something we have to worry about in the
> yard. So you can detail your way to perfection in ways that a restuarant
> pitmaster doesn't have the time for, and use techniques which are
> non-commercial.

Odd isn't it how many things cross connect in life?

As a contractor and custom woodworker, your description couldn't have
described what I see quite often.

I home/hobby/enthusiast guy may take several hours to get one joint
perfect in crown molding, or take a day to apply finish to a project.

With no worries about time frames (deadlines) to interface with other
crafts, anxious clients, wages to their workers, and any worries of
profitability, they can fiddle around and work at their leisure to
turn out a nice product.

And given enough time, many do.

It is nice to think of working with no pressure for specific
performance though... kind of a fantasy.

Maybe that's one of the reasons I enjoy the pit. If I don't have the
time to smoke, grill, cook or anything else the way I want to do it, I
just won't. I cook for enjoyment.

Just because I cook big hunks of meat well doesn't mean I have any
business at all opening a restaurant. I have a job that beats the
crap out of me already.

I second frohe, Brick and Nonny. What they said!

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Default User wrote:
> vex wrote:
>
>> I haven't had to try a lot of BBQ outside of the PNW, but when I
>> sampled some St. Louis BBQ, I was left with the feeling of, "how can
>> I make my home made 'Q taste like this?". We went to Roper's Ribs and
>> got some STL ribs, some chicken, some beef rib tips, and some pork
>> riblets. Sides were slaw and beans.

> I have not been by there. They have a small web site:
>
> <http://www.ropersribs.com/>

The woman in the photo is the one that took my order and packaged it up.
I watched the man in the photo go in and out of a door to the kitchen,
wheeling a cart with a rubbermaid container on it, out the front door to
who-knows-where, with who-knows-what, inside the container.

Really nice people.

--Brett
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:35:45 -0700 (PDT), Tutall >
> wrote:

> > Damn, restaraunt stuff that's better than home? I haven't seen it
> > yet. But then I'm in the BBQ backwoods way out here by the Pacific.
> > You Kansas City and Southern guys, can restaraunt stuff be as good
> > as we make in our backyards?

> Brett a/k/a vex lives about 50 miles from the Canadian border and only
> a few miles from Puget Sound...

Oh yeah? I'm surprised he stumbled on a small joint like that on a
visit.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:35:45 -0700 (PDT), Tutall >
>> wrote:

>>> Damn, restaraunt stuff that's better than home? I haven't seen it
>>> yet. But then I'm in the BBQ backwoods way out here by the Pacific.
>>> You Kansas City and Southern guys, can restaraunt stuff be as good
>>> as we make in our backyards?

>> Brett a/k/a vex lives about 50 miles from the Canadian border and only
>> a few miles from Puget Sound...

> Oh yeah? I'm surprised he stumbled on a small joint like that on a
> visit.

We asked at a liquor store where we could find some good BBQ and the guy
behind the window said, "Just head on down Jennings Ste. Road until you
get to Florisham and it's on the corner. Sumpin' Ribs, I dunno, I just
go..."

--Brett
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:

> Default User wrote:
> > Denny Wheeler wrote:
> >
> > > On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:35:45 -0700 (PDT), Tutall

> > > Brett a/k/a vex lives about 50 miles from the Canadian border and
> > > only a few miles from Puget Sound...

> > Oh yeah? I'm surprised he stumbled on a small joint like that on a
> > visit.

> We asked at a liquor store where we could find some good BBQ and the
> guy behind the window said, "Just head on down Jennings Ste. Road
> until you get to Florisham and it's on the corner. Sumpin' Ribs, I
> dunno, I just go..."

That's not too far from where I used to live, over by UMSL.

What were you doing in town?

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex wrote:
> Default User wrote:
>> Denny Wheeler wrote:

>>> Brett a/k/a vex lives about 50 miles from the Canadian border and only
>>> a few miles from Puget Sound...

>> Oh yeah? I'm surprised he stumbled on a small joint like that on a
>> visit.

> We asked at a liquor store where we could find some good BBQ and the guy
> behind the window said, "Just head on down Jennings Ste. Road until you
> get to Florisham and it's on the corner. Sumpin' Ribs, I dunno, I just
> go..."
>

> --Brett

That exactly how we found "The Smoky Pig" in Bowling Green. We were
travelling in Kentucky and wanted some real 'Q', so we stopped and asked
someone local. I know the group can name lots of other good places, but
we sure enjoyed it. The ribs were wonderful, and I think there was as
much butter as potato in the red-skin potatoes.

MargW
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

> That's not too far from where I used to live, over by UMSL.
>
> What were you doing in town?

We were doing some touristy stuff. My middle son graduated from Basic
Training/AIT down at Ft. Leonard Wood last week and we flew into St.
Louis to drive a rental car down to St. Robert. We got plenty of rain
from Gustav. :-)
After graduation, we drove back to St. Louis for the touristy stuff and
headed back home, with him in tow. He's got 30 days before he deploys to
Korea.

--Brett
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

vex > wrote:
> Default User wrote:
>
> > That's not too far from where I used to live, over by UMSL.
> >
> > What were you doing in town?

> We were doing some touristy stuff. My middle son graduated from Basic
> Training/AIT down at Ft. Leonard Wood last week and we flew into St.
> Louis to drive a rental car down to St. Robert. We got plenty of rain
> from Gustav. :-)
> After graduation, we drove back to St. Louis for the touristy stuff and
> headed back home, with him in tow. He's got 30 days before he deploys to
> Korea.

Congrats to yer son, Brett. I hope he has a quiet tour. This might get him
interested in more study: http://www.korean-language.org/korean/slang.asp

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"vex" > wrote in message
> Default User wrote:
>
>> That's not too far from where I used to live, over by UMSL.
>>
>> What were you doing in town?

> We were doing some touristy stuff. My middle son graduated from
> Basic Training/AIT down at Ft. Leonard Wood last week and we flew
> into St. Louis to drive a rental car down to St. Robert. We got
> plenty of rain from Gustav. :-)
> After graduation, we drove back to St. Louis for the touristy
> stuff and headed back home, with him in tow. He's got 30 days
> before he deploys to Korea.

Isn't that the home of the "Armor". A great adventure awaits
him indeed and when his time is done, I hope he has a safe
homecoming. AAA-O?

Joseph

> --Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Joseph wrote:
> "vex" > wrote in message
>> Default User wrote:
>>
>>> That's not too far from where I used to live, over by UMSL.
>>>
>>> What were you doing in town?

>> We were doing some touristy stuff. My middle son graduated from Basic
>> Training/AIT down at Ft. Leonard Wood last week and we flew into St.
>> Louis to drive a rental car down to St. Robert. We got plenty of rain
>> from Gustav. :-)
>> After graduation, we drove back to St. Louis for the touristy stuff
>> and headed back home, with him in tow. He's got 30 days before he
>> deploys to Korea.

> Isn't that the home of the "Armor". A great adventure awaits him
> indeed and when his time is done, I hope he has a safe homecoming. AAA-O?

Offhand, I don't recall which base he's going to be stationed at. He's
in the 21-Bravo Engineers. I'm guessing he won't stay there long, he'll
probably be shipped over to Afghanistan, eventually.

--Brett
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 11, 4:11*pm, "Joseph" > wrote:

> * * *Isn't that the home of the "Armor". *A great adventure awaits
> him indeed and when his time is done, I hope he has a safe
> homecoming. *AAA-O?

Nope, MP's, engineers and chemical warfare. Armor is Ft. Knox.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
On Sep 11, 4:11 pm, "Joseph" > wrote:

> Isn't that the home of the "Armor". A great adventure awaits
> him indeed and when his time is done, I hope he has a safe
> homecoming. AAA-O?

Nope, MP's, engineers and chemical warfare. Armor is Ft. Knox.

--------

You're right, damn memory aint what it used to be. Should have
looked it up before posting... DOH!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 12, 6:22*pm, "Joseph" > wrote:
> "Tutall" > wrote in message

> On Sep 11, 4:11 pm, "Joseph" > wrote:
>
> > Isn't that the home of the "Armor". A great adventure awaits
> > him indeed and when his time is done, I hope he has a safe
> > homecoming. AAA-O?

> Nope, MP's, engineers and chemical warfare. Armor is Ft. Knox.
>
> --------
>
> * * *You're right, damn memory aint what it used to be. *Should have
> looked it up before posting... *DOH!

I knew a few MP's and a couple of chem guys, that helped.

It was a MP that showed me the most disgusting act I ever saw in a
bar. Hold that, one of the most. You really don't want to read about
it. But he went down in some drunken hall of fame for sure.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Sep-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:00:16 -0700 (PDT), Tutall >
> wrote:
>
> >I knew a few MP's and a couple of chem guys, that helped.
> >
> >It was a MP that showed me the most disgusting act I ever saw in a
> >bar. Hold that, one of the most. You really don't want to read about
> >it. But he went down in some drunken hall of fame for sure.

> Tease.
>
> I'll bite. What did he do?
>
> (even as I type, I have a cryo-pack of two nice-looking picnics in the
> fridge. Tomorrow, they go into the pit. I figured $.98/lb was pretty decent.)
>
> --
> -denny-

Wishing you good eats with the picnics Denny. Anything for less then $1.00/lb
that yields 50% or better good meat, just has to be a good deal.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 12, 10:03*pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 19:00:16 -0700 (PDT), Tutall >
> wrote:
>
> >I knew a few MP's and a couple of chem guys, that helped.

> >It was a MP that showed me the most disgusting act I ever saw in a
> >bar. Hold that, one of the most. You really don't want to read about
> >it. But he went down in some drunken hall of fame for sure.

> Tease.
>
> I'll bite. *What did he do?

Okay, you asked.

Location: Echterdingen Army Airfield Club (too small for separate O
and E clubs). About 4 tables of people gathered together on a drunken
Friday night. Mostly base MPs, and a few others. We're drinking
pitchers of a only in Germany concoction that consists of beer, coke
and cherry schnaps.

Yes, pitchers of beer mixed with coke and cherry schnaps. A little on
a sweet side.

Anyway, this guy gets everyones attention and wants people to bet he
can't chug a pitcher down, he get's no takers and amid hooting and
hollering goes ahead and chugs it down, making appropriate grateful
gestures afterwards. Then he immediately refilled the pitcher with the
just downed concoction. Yes, he filled it up like a mama bird fills
her babies, he regurgitated the whole thing up back into the pitcher.
Well of course theres a lot of groans, and he takes a neighbors hat
and dips it into it grinning like a fool all the time.
Then again he asks if anyone wants to bet he can't chug his pitcher
down.

He won some money that night.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message
> On Sep 12, 6:22 pm, "Joseph" > wrote:
>> "Tutall" > wrote in message

>> On Sep 11, 4:11 pm, "Joseph" > wrote:
>>
>> > Isn't that the home of the "Armor". A great adventure awaits
>> > him indeed and when his time is done, I hope he has a safe
>> > homecoming. AAA-O?

>> Nope, MP's, engineers and chemical warfare. Armor is Ft. Knox.
>>
>> --------
>>
>> You're right, damn memory aint what it used to be. Should have
>> looked it up before posting... DOH!

> I knew a few MP's and a couple of chem guys, that helped.
>
> It was a MP that showed me the most disgusting act I ever saw in a
> bar. Hold that, one of the most. You really don't want to read about
> it.

Yes we do, that's why we're here.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Tutall wrote:
> On Sep 11, 4:11 pm, "Joseph" > wrote:
>
>> Isn't that the home of the "Armor". A great adventure awaits
>> him indeed and when his time is done, I hope he has a safe
>> homecoming. AAA-O?
>>

> Nope, MP's, engineers and chemical warfare. Armor is Ft. Knox.

Yeah, my oldest son was in Armor at Ft. Knox. He's currently over in
Korea, working for a defense contractor, repairing Bradleys.

--Brett
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Brick wrote:

> Wishing you good eats with the picnics Denny. Anything for less then $1.00/lb
> that yields 50% or better good meat, just has to be a good deal.

Dang! I can't get *any* meat up here for less than $1.58(sale price)!

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 13, 6:06*pm, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

> There's an old trick of "barfing on the bartop" then whipping out a
> spoon and gobbling it up. **That* trick involves an under-the-clothing
> bag of something such as beef stew.
>
> I wonders, yes, I wonders.
> --

Nope, he barfed back up the liquids he'd just drank back into the
original pitcher. Tell the truth, it looked almost new. There was no
barfy digestive stuff to it. Or so little that you couldn't tell. He
just spewed up what he'd just chugged,

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:55:54 -0700, vex > wrote:
>
>> Brick wrote:
>>
>>> Wishing you good eats with the picnics Denny. Anything for less then $1.00/lb
>>> that yields 50% or better good meat, just has to be a good deal.

>> Dang! I can't get *any* meat up here for less than $1.58(sale price)!

> Brett, isn't there a Cost Cutter near you? That's where I got the
> picnics. (the ad says "Everett and Burlington")

Really? I normally shop for cheap cuts of meat at Cost Cutter, but I've
never seen any sales below $1.58/lb for the last 6 months. I also
realized that the corporation that owns the Cost Cutter up here charges
a *lot* more for regular items that can be purchased elsewhere, in other
stores they own. It's mainly a Hispanic shopping mart, one of the main
ones in the area. It makes me feel like the corporation is really
sticking it to them if they aren't able to shop somewhere else...

I'll run down there today to see what they have, I need to make up some
more pulled pork, with an event coming up the day before the Oyster Run.

--Brett

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> vex wrote:
>> Denny Wheeler wrote:

>>> Brett, isn't there a Cost Cutter near you? That's where I got the
>>> picnics. (the ad says "Everett and Burlington")

>> Really? I normally shop for cheap cuts of meat at Cost Cutter, but
>> I've never seen any sales below $1.58/lb for the last 6 months. I also
>> realized that the corporation that owns the Cost Cutter up here
>> charges a *lot* more for regular items that can be purchased
>> elsewhere, in other stores they own. It's mainly a Hispanic shopping
>> mart, one of the main ones in the area. It makes me feel like the
>> corporation is really sticking it to them if they aren't able to shop
>> somewhere else...

> There's nothing new about that. Corporate merchants are famous for
> sticking
> their lowest quality merchandise in their stores in the most disadvantaged
> areas, at the highest prices in their system. If that is what they are
> doing, I wouldn't even buy a peanut there.
>
> Price Chopper here is the opposite. You can go to their big store in
> Roeland
> Park which caters to a huge hispanic market, and the prices are better,
> for
> stuff I would rather buy, and often can't find elsewhere. Its a bit of a
> drive for groceries, but its the only store where there are literally
> dozens
> of bins of fresh and dried peppers of every description, key limes, fresh
> chorizo (not fat-laden chubs), and much more.
>
> MartyB in KC

Sounds like K.C. is way better at groceries then they are at football