FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pork Wings (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/160935-pork-wings.html)

[email protected] 29-08-2008 05:04 PM

Pork Wings

Has anyone here come across this relatively new product? It comes from
Farmland Food Service and is a trimmed down pork shank with just a
single bone, it's like a mini pork butt on a stick.

I am trying to get the raw product, but it is currently only available
in a pre-cooked version from local distributors and is not available
retail.

I've got a pdf file if anybody is interested.

Steve

Sqwertz[_25_] 29-08-2008 06:30 PM

Pork Wings

wrote:
> Has anyone here come across this relatively new product? It comes from
> Farmland Food Service and is a trimmed down pork shank with just a
> single bone, it's like a mini pork butt on a stick.
>
> I am trying to get the raw product, but it is currently only available
> in a pre-cooked version from local distributors and is not available
> retail.
>
> I've got a pdf file if anybody is interested.

I think Smithfield is the top of the food chain on these,
supplying all the food distributors with them (who may then brand
them as their own). I remember seeing some sort of trademark on
the name "pork wings" tied to Smithfield.

I've never seen them raw. Only a large ham/pork processing outfit
like Smithfield or Hormel would have the facilities to pump these
out in any measurable quantity as there's only two 6oz portions
per pig.

They're probably only sold pre-cooked by Smithfield, or raw to the
food processing facilities of the large food distributors. I'd
like to try them out of curiosity as I've heard about them for
over a year now.

-sw

Nonnymus[_5_] 29-08-2008 07:30 PM

Pork Wings

Marty, you might want to take a look at the PDF. It's good old Farmland
Industries of KC. http://www.farmlandfoodservice.com/p...wild_wings.pdf

What's the tie in, if any between Farmland Industries and MFA (MO
Farmer's Association?)

To add to our discussion about water being used in cooking, what's the
reason for the water, as used in the cooking directions for these pork
wings, do you all think?

I wonder if you can get them in 2-3# frozen portions to cook at home,
since they look good and would probably make a great breakfast.

--
Nonny
Think of your vote as helping to

ima@azzhol 02-09-2008 01:35 PM

Pork Wings

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 11:30:17 -0700, Nonnymus > wrote:

>Marty, you might want to take a look at the PDF. It's good old Farmland
>Industries of KC. http://www.farmlandfoodservice.com/p...wild_wings.pdf
>
>What's the tie in, if any between Farmland Industries and MFA (MO
>Farmer's Association?)
>
>To add to our discussion about water being used in cooking, what's the
>reason for the water, as used in the cooking directions for these pork
>wings, do you all think?
>
>I wonder if you can get them in 2-3# frozen portions to cook at home,
>since they look good and would probably make a great breakfast.

Our local watering hole has been able to get these a couple of times
from their food distributor. They call them Hog Wings and serve them
with their chipoltle sauce....YUM! I'd love to be able to try these on
my smoker with some pablano sauce.