Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Countries represented on a.b.f and a.f.b

ddlbug > wrote:
> You can add Beijing China to the list!

Yes. I can, Rick. If someone posts from there.

Tracking Squad, please respond.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "shawn" > wrote in message
>> The Mexicans were here before us, and that's what they called the place.
>>
>> Us white folks are probably mispronouncing it, when we use the harsh X.

> We use the American version of English. We change the spelling and
> pronunciation of a lot of places. Rome/Roma for example. Some languages
> sound the V and W opposite what we use. Of course, we are right, the rest
> of the world is wrong.

Hear Hear! I LIKE that attitude. ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman" > wrote in message

> Shawn Martin wrote:
>
>> snip
>>
>> Tejas

> ===
>
> Shawn,
> Sure hate to do this here, but have to.
>
> Tejas is the Spanish translation for the English word "tile" (as in
> saltillo
> tile or ceramic tile). Texas is an indian (American, don't ask me which
> tribe
> because I do not remember) word for "friend" and does not carry a J when
> said
> in Spanish. Another point is that proper names are not translated.

Thanky for that. I've also had Mexican friends tell that "tejas" refers to
shingles, as in roofing a house.

I've got a little bit of native American blood running through me, so I'll
pronounce the "X" in Texas from now on.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> Dave T. wrote:
>> Joseph wrote:
>>

>>> I have noticed that people from LA say Southern Cal, the Bay Area
>>> "inhabitants" just say California, and from Sacramento north we
>>> always point out it's Northern Cal. Might as well break up the
>>> state into three. It would add at least one new red state...
>>>
>>> Joseph
>>>

>> Red state, good idea. Otherwise, bad idea. NorCal as a state by itself
>> would be a very poor state indeed. Our only income would be by selling
>> our water to SoCal. Presently they get it for free because every
>> governor that has ever presided over California has been from LA.

> Nooo! Any new Red States should just secede, dig a trench, and push
> themselves off!
>
> ;-)
>
> MartyB in KC

When the big one hits, we'll be outta yer hair fer good. d>

--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave T. wrote:
> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>> Dave T. wrote:

> When the big one hits, we'll be outta yer hair fer good. d>

Can you somehow arrange to take NYC with you?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 20, 3:26*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> shawn wrote:

> > The Mexicans were here before us, and that's what they called the
> > place.

> When you own it you can call it what you want! ;-)
>
> > Us white folks are probably mispronouncing it, when we use the harsh
> > X.

Which as Marty notes is now in our posession so they're the ones
mispronouncing it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> shawn wrote:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> -----%<---------------------
>>> You're both right, apparently.
>>>
>>> MartyB in KC

>> Cool.
>>
>> I seem to remember that the word texas WAS a Indian word for friend.

> That is also correct according to Wiki:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas#Etymology
>> The Spaniards, and later the Mexicans referred to these people as
>> Texanos. (The suffix ano lending the concept of belonging to the
>> preceding noun, making the word Texano mean more, or less, "people
>> from Texas."
>>
>> Just as Mexicano means someone from Mexico.
>>
>> I used the *******ized spelling of Texas to reflect the true
>> pronunciation of the word "Texas" which, in Spanish the
>> X is pronounced as a soft H.
>>
>> Like "Me-hee-co" or "te-has".
>>
>> Most modern Mexicans that I know would spell it "Tejas"

> That wouldn't be correct though, as was pointed out, proper nouns aren't
> translated. However the X can be pronounce either as an h or an sh.... for
> example, xel-ha, which is pronounced shel-ha. http://www.xelha.com/

That pronunciation of X is an artifact of the Incas, not proper Spanish.

>> The Mexicans were here before us, and that's what they called the
>> place.

> When you own it you can call it what you want! ;-)
>
>> Us white folks are probably mispronouncing it, when we use the harsh
>> X.

> Well no, its part of the US, and the official pronunciation of the name it
> now has as part of the US uses the hard X. However its also quite possible
> that just like the sound of a j, Spanish speaking people find it difficult
> to pronounce a hard X, since its not part of the phonic palate of their
> primary language to pronounce that letter in that way.
>
> MartyB in KC

Good point there. And probably more true that folks would think.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> shawn wrote:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:
>>> -----%<---------------------

>>> That is also correct according to Wiki:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas#Etymology

>>> That wouldn't be correct though, as was pointed out, proper nouns
>>> aren't translated. However the X can be pronounce either as an h or
>>> an sh.... for example, xel-ha, which is pronounced shel-ha.
>>> http://www.xelha.com/

>> That pronunciation of X is an artifact of the Incas, not proper
>> Spanish.

> The Incas had our alphabet? <g>
>
> MartyB in KC

Yep, got it from the space aliens ;-)