Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Countries represented on a.b.f and a.f.b

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Brick" > wrote:

>> July 14, 1980, it was 114°F in Phoenix and I and my bride of three
>> days were there on an Harley 80/80 Lowrider. I'm pretty sure eggs
>> would have fried on the blacktop. I had to put something under the
>> kickstand to keep it from sinking into the asphalt. It was like
>> putty.

> LMAO Many years ago, mu late friend, Don Nance, got pulled over in his
> pickup by a motorcop, for speeding. After giving Don the ticket, the cop
> came back and tapped on Don's window. Don rolled it down and said, "Now
> what?" The cop said, "I wonder if you could give me a hand for a moment?"
> Don looked in his rear view mirror. The kickstand on the cop's bike had
> sunk into the asphalt and the bike was down flat. Don laughed, said, "F*ck
> you," and drove off. A lurker here can verify that.

Ever since toppling a KW1300 in 1980, I have had a personal policy
to never ride a bike you cannot pick up by yourself.

Because, sooner or later you will have to. (possibly while injured)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn Martin" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> >> July 14, 1980, it was 114°F in Phoenix and I and my bride of three
> >> days were there on an Harley 80/80 Lowrider. I'm pretty sure eggs
> >> would have fried on the blacktop. I had to put something under the
> >> kickstand to keep it from sinking into the asphalt. It was like
> >> putty.

> > LMAO Many years ago, mu late friend, Don Nance, got pulled over in his
> > pickup by a motorcop, for speeding. After giving Don the ticket, the
> > cop came back and tapped on Don's window. Don rolled it down and said,
> > "Now what?" The cop said, "I wonder if you could give me a hand for a
> > moment?" Don looked in his rear view mirror. The kickstand on the
> > cop's bike had sunk into the asphalt and the bike was down flat. Don
> > laughed, said, "F*ck you," and drove off. A lurker here can verify
> > that.

> Ever since toppling a KW1300 in 1980, I have had a personal policy
> to never ride a bike you cannot pick up by yourself.
>
> Because, sooner or later you will have to. (possibly while injured)

Yes. I dumped my '46 Indian Chief, when I was 17 and injured. I picked it
up and rolled it across two lanes of rush hour traffic. When my 15 year old
wanted to learn how to ride my Honda XL 650, I laid it down and told her if
she could pick it up and start it, I'd teach her. Neva hachi!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> LMAO Many years ago, mu late friend, Don Nance, got pulled over in his
> pickup by a motorcop, for speeding. After giving Don the ticket, the cop
> came back and tapped on Don's window. Don rolled it down and said, "Now
> what?" The cop said, "I wonder if you could give me a hand for a moment?"
> Don looked in his rear view mirror. The kickstand on the cop's bike had
> sunk into the asphalt and the bike was down flat. Don laughed, said, "F*ck
> you," and drove off. A lurker here can verify that.

Nick, I don't like that tale. The cop was presumably doing what he was
paid to do. Despite having gotten a ticket, I would have helped the guy
out, and suspect that 99% of the others would as well.
--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> I would have helped him, but you can bet I would have also asked him, are
> you gonna tear up my ticket since I gave you a hand? And promise I won't
> tell anybody? It never hurts to ask, I always say, and if you don't ask,
> you'll almost never get.

I agree with you there, Marty. FWIW, back when I was a young man, out
on a date, I cannot ever think of a time I got "lucky," without asking
(or begging). <grin>

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> ibrokit > wrote:
>> Nunya Bidnits wrote:

>> Phoenix -- home to some of the most god-awful BBQ in the country.

> You just put it out on the sidewalk to cook, eh?

Heh -- that would do it. It would probably taste better than most of the
joints here, too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Monroe, of course, reporting from the offshoots of Jupiter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 17, 12:36*pm, "monroe, of course" >
wrote:
> Monroe, of course, reporting from the offshoots of Jupiter...

Damn, haven't seen you for a long time.

Glad to see you still kickin there Monroe.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Nick, I don't like that tale. The cop was presumably doing what he was
> paid to do. Despite having gotten a ticket, I would have helped the guy
> out, and suspect that 99% of the others would as well.
> --
> Nonny

Don't count me just yet.
Can't say for sure. If I was doing 51 in a 50, I'd go the FU route. If I
was going 80 in a 50 and was written up as doing 55, I'd help.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"monroe, of course" > wrote in message
> Monroe, of course, reporting from the offshoots of Jupiter...

You get lost up there?

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> monroe, of course, sky pilot, wrote:
>> Monroe, of course, reporting from the offshoots of Jupiter...

> Hey Nick, who's in charge of the Solar System?

I ain't Nick, but I nominate Monroe, of course. '-)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> Still got the Indian?

'Fraid not. It'd be worth at least 100 times what I pad for it in '52.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nonnymus > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:

> > LMAO Many years ago, mu late friend, Don Nance, got pulled over in his
> > pickup by a motorcop, for speeding. After giving Don the ticket, the
> > cop came back and tapped on Don's window. Don rolled it down and said,
> > "Now what?" The cop said, "I wonder if you could give me a hand for a
> > moment?" Don looked in his rear view mirror. The kickstand on the
> > cop's bike had sunk into the asphalt and the bike was down flat. Don
> > laughed, said, "F*ck you," and drove off. A lurker here can verify
> > that.

> Nick, I don't like that tale. The cop was presumably doing what he was
> paid to do. Despite having gotten a ticket, I would have helped the guy
> out, and suspect that 99% of the others would as well.

Guess that makes me a 1%er!
You don't know Don's history, I know enough. No problemo.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> monroe, of course, sky pilot, wrote:
> > Monroe, of course, reporting from the offshoots of Jupiter...

> Hey Nick, who's in charge of the Solar System?

F'difiknow? Kepler? Newton? Einstein? Hawkings? Monroe? TFM®?

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.binaries.food,alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> I'm interested in seeing how many countries are represented by posters on
> our beloved NG's. Lurkers can represent their countries, too, as far as I'm
> concerned. Might get someone to decloak!
>
> So far, I have USA, UK and Denmark acknowledged. I know of a few others,
> but I want YOU to state the country you post from. I'll post the results as
> I go along. Thanks for participating.
>
> PS Texas is not a separate country!!!

Posting from Ontario, Canada

Gail, who rarely posts but I've been lurking since this group was born!

Gail
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer > wrote:
> "Big Bazza" > wrote:
> > "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > > I'm interested in seeing how many countries are represented by posters
> > > on our beloved NG's. Lurkers can represent their countries, too, as far
> > > as I'm concerned. Might get someone to decloak!
> > >
> > > So far, I have USA, UK and Denmark acknowledged. I know of a few
> > > others, but I want YOU to state the country you post from. I'll post
> > > the results as I go along. Thanks for participating.
> > >
> > > PS Texas is not a separate country!!!

> > Ok...Oz represented here, Nick...Australia, The Sunburnt Country....Even
> > though it is the middle of Winter here at present !...
> >
> > Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> Thanks, Barry. I now have eight. USA, UK, Denmark, The Netherlands
> (Holland), Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, Australia. I know of at least four
> others, but some may have wandered off into the outback.

Well, i'll connect the Netherlands, Denmark and Switzerland then: put
Germany in for me...

Florian

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Florian E. Teply" > wrote in message
> Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Well, i'll connect the Netherlands, Denmark and Switzerland then: put
> Germany in for me...
>
> Florian

Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Listening and doing does more to improve BBQ than posting. There's more
than enough die hards to answer the newbie questions. I'm smoking on a
Bradley, a Chargriller offset, and the WSM. Alder smoke gave me as good a
Montreal Smoked Meat as I've had in Montreal. I'm thinking of building a
brick smoker and black oven as the entire wall of a shed to defeat the
constant wind here. I'm doing a lot of curing and smoking as a result of
following up on threads posted here. I have two ducks to do this weekend.
:-) I'm thinking five-spice and cherry wood for that small flock.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 18, 3:50*am, (Florian E. Teply)
wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:

> > > Ok...Oz represented here, Nick...Australia, The Sunburnt Country....Even
> > > though it is the middle of Winter here at present !...

> > > Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> > Thanks, Barry. I now have eight. USA, UK, Denmark, The Netherlands
> > (Holland), Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, Australia. I know of at least four
> > others, but some may have wandered off into the outback.

> Well, i'll connect the Netherlands, Denmark and Switzerland then: put
> Germany in for me...
>
> Florian- Hide quoted text -

Never posted before, thanks for coming out of lurk mode, du schlampe,
schreib was irgenmal gehl?

Posted to alt.binaries.food,alt.food.barbecue

Gail > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > I'm interested in seeing how many countries are represented by posters
> > on our beloved NG's. Lurkers can represent their countries, too, as far
> > as I'm concerned. Might get someone to decloak!
> >
> > So far, I have USA, UK, Denmark, The Netherlands (Holland), Canada,
> > Switzerland, Australia (including Tasmania), Belgium and South Africa
> > acknowledged. I know of a few others, but I want YOU to state the
> > country you post from. I'll post the results as I go along. Thanks for
> > participating.
> >
> > PS Texas is not a separate country!!!

> Posting from Ontario, Canada
>
> Gail, who rarely posts but I've been lurking since this group was born!

Thanks for de-cloaking, Gail. Hope we hear from ya more often!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.binaries.food,alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> PS Texas is not a separate country!!!

Some of us Texans thank thet it IZ !!! ;-)

Godzilla
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Desideria wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:33:21 -0700, vex > wrote:

>> Burlington, WA. USA (hour north of Seattle)
>>

>> --Brett

> Really? You're in my & Denny's neck of the woods!

Yep!

--B
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:02:56 -0700, Desideria
> > wrote:
>
>>> Burlington, WA. USA (hour north of Seattle)
>>>
>>> --Brett

>> Really? You're in my & Denny's neck of the woods!

> Yup. Brett is. WRM--I need to ask him if that Q joint which burned
> last year has been reopened/rebuilt.
>
> I'm in Everett, WA, incidentally. 40-45 min. south of Burlington. <g>
> (and 30 miles north of Burien)

Actually, Double Barrel BBQ re-opened for a while, using a real nice
kitchen trailer, but that has since disappeared. I haven't chased down
my buddy Lance that works there, so see if they moved the trailer to
another spot, but I'm guessing that's what they did.

*tappity tap tap, click*

Looks like they're only doing catering now:

http://www.doublebarrelbbq.com/

--Brett

Posted to alt.binaries.food,alt.food.barbecue

Gail wrote:

> Gail, who rarely posts but I've been lurking since this group was born!
>
> Gail

And you don't post, because? If everyone just lurked, there'd be
nothing. A group gets better (usually) with ore people participating.
You can always learn things from others if they'll voice their opinions.

And after all, cooking is nothing more than opinions.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
Tutall > wrote:

> On Jul 17, 12:36*pm, "monroe, of course" >
> wrote:
> > Monroe, of course, reporting from the offshoots of Jupiter...

> Damn, haven't seen you for a long time.
>
> Glad to see you still kickin there Monroe.

Thanks D. The gravity here is a bitch. my K5 weighs 1900 lbs.
Posted to alt.binaries.food,alt.food.barbecue

> PS Texas is not a separate country!!!

still here in alaska, as far from texsux and stevie as i can get.

after 30 years, i'm really starting to hate salmon. sweet baby jeebus,
where's the red meat? or the other white meat??

Posted to alt.binaries.food,alt.food.barbecue

"just joe" > wrote in
mmunications:

>> PS Texas is not a separate country!!!
>>

> still here in alaska, as far from texsux and stevie as i can get.
>
> after 30 years, i'm really starting to hate salmon. sweet baby jeebus,
> where's the red meat?

Caribou?

> or the other white meat??

Long pig???

:-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:

> snip
>
> Tejas

===

Shawn,
Sure hate to do this here, but have to.

Tejas is the Spanish translation for the English word "tile" (as in saltillo
tile or ceramic tile). Texas is an indian (American, don't ask me which tribe
because I do not remember) word for "friend" and does not carry a J when said
in Spanish. Another point is that proper names are not translated.

This is not a flame, I am not the grammar police, just bringing this up as it
was brought up to me when I first moved to Texas 23 years ago.

Ray
===

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

> Shawn Martin wrote:
>
>> snip
>>
>> Tejas

> ===
>
> Shawn,
> Sure hate to do this here, but have to.
>
> Tejas is the Spanish translation for the English word "tile" (as in saltillo
> tile or ceramic tile). Texas is an indian (American, don't ask me which tribe
> because I do not remember) word for "friend" and does not carry a J when said
> in Spanish. Another point is that proper names are not translated.
>
> This is not a flame, I am not the grammar police, just bringing this up as it
> was brought up to me when I first moved to Texas 23 years ago.
>
> Ray
> ===

I was raised in El Paso, and didn't know I wasn't Mexican until I was
about 15 or so. The Juarito River Rats (This was before the term
"Cholo" was coined) all pronounced it "Tejas".

(Not flaming back, just staying true to my roots) ;-)

BTW: the OP was supposed to come off tongue-in-cheek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
CC CC is offline

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> I'm interested in seeing how many countries are represented by
> posters on
> our beloved NG's. Lurkers can represent their countries, too, as far
> as I'm
> concerned. Might get someone to decloak!
>
> So far, I have USA, UK and Denmark acknowledged. I know of a few
> others,
> but I want YOU to state the country you post from. I'll post the
> results as
> I go along. Thanks for participating.
>
> PS Texas is not a separate country!!!
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American
> War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our
> Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Newport News, VA

Home of the USS Enterprise
among others

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> shawn wrote:
>> Ray S. & Nayda Katzaman wrote:

>>> ===
>>>
>>> Shawn,
>>> Sure hate to do this here, but have to.
>>>
>>> Tejas is the Spanish translation for the English word "tile" (as in
>>> saltillo tile or ceramic tile). Texas is an indian (American, don't
>>> ask me which tribe because I do not remember) word for "friend" and
>>> does not carry a J when said in Spanish. Another point is that
>>> proper names are not translated.
>>>
>>> This is not a flame, I am not the grammar police, just bringing this
>>> up as it was brought up to me when I first moved to Texas 23 years
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> Ray
>>> ===
>>>

>> I was raised in El Paso, and didn't know I wasn't Mexican until I was
>> about 15 or so. The Juarito River Rats (This was before the term
>> "Cholo" was coined) all pronounced it "Tejas".
>>
>> (Not flaming back, just staying true to my roots) ;-)
>>
>> BTW: the OP was supposed to come off tongue-in-cheek.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tejas

> Go to
>
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Tejas#Spanish
>
> and
>
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Texas#Translations
>
> You're both right, apparently.
>
> MartyB in KC

Cool.

I seem to remember that the word texas WAS a Indian word for friend.

The Spaniards, and later the Mexicans referred to these people as
Texanos. (The suffix ano lending the concept of belonging to the
preceding noun, making the word Texano mean more, or less, "people from
Texas."

Just as Mexicano means someone from Mexico.

I used the *******ized spelling of Texas to reflect the true
pronunciation of the word "Texas" which, in Spanish the
X is pronounced as a soft H.

Like "Me-hee-co" or "te-has".

Most modern Mexicans that I know would spell it "Tejas"

The Mexicans were here before us, and that's what they called the place.

Us white folks are probably mispronouncing it, when we use the harsh X.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tommy From Mississippi USA

--
Tommy Lee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 15 Jul 2008 03:29:06 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>I'm interested in seeing how many countries are represented by posters on
>our beloved NG's. Lurkers can represent their countries, too, as far as I'm
>concerned. Might get someone to decloak!
>
>So far, I have USA, UK and Denmark acknowledged. I know of a few others,
>but I want YOU to state the country you post from. I'll post the results as
>I go along. Thanks for participating.
>
>PS Texas is not a separate country!!!

ZzyZx from northern California, USA.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"shawn" > wrote in message
> The Mexicans were here before us, and that's what they called the place.
>
> Us white folks are probably mispronouncing it, when we use the harsh X.

We use the American version of English. We change the spelling and
pronunciation of a lot of places. Rome/Roma for example. Some languages
sound the V and W opposite what we use. Of course, we are right, the rest
of the world is wrong.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> On 15 Jul 2008 03:29:06 GMT, Nick Cramer
> >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm interested in seeing how many countries are represented by
>>posters on
>>our beloved NG's. Lurkers can represent their countries, too, as
>>far as I'm
>>concerned. Might get someone to decloak!
>>
>>So far, I have USA, UK and Denmark acknowledged. I know of a few
>>others,
>>but I want YOU to state the country you post from. I'll post the
>>results as
>>I go along. Thanks for participating.
>>
>>PS Texas is not a separate country!!!

> ZzyZx from northern California, USA.

I have noticed that people from LA say Southern Cal, the Bay
Area "inhabitants" just say California, and from Sacramento north we
always point out it's Northern Cal. Might as well break up the
state into three. It would add at least one new red state...

Joseph

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Joseph wrote:

> I have noticed that people from LA say Southern Cal, the Bay Area
> "inhabitants" just say California, and from Sacramento north we always
> point out it's Northern Cal. Might as well break up the state into
> three. It would add at least one new red state...
>
> Joseph

Red state, good idea. Otherwise, bad idea. NorCal as a state by itself
would be a very poor state indeed. Our only income would be by selling
our water to SoCal. Presently they get it for free because every
governor that has ever presided over California has been from LA.
--
Dave T.

I've learned that whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You can add Beijing China to the list!

- Rick

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 19, 7:28*pm, "Dave T." > wrote:
> Joseph wrote:

> Red state, good idea. Otherwise, bad idea. NorCal as a state by itself
> would be a very poor state indeed. Our only income would be by selling
> our water to SoCal. Presently they get it for free because every
> governor that has ever presided over California has been from LA.

Well almost, but not far from the truth. Northern water is owned by
Southern dentists and docs.