Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best way to clean a stainless steel grill

I have a Weber and it's time for me to suck it up and get down to the
nitty gritty. But one of the reasons I've been putting off the duty
to clean my grill is that I just don't know what to use or how to
clean all that burnt gunk off.

I wish to be able to clean off everything, the stainless steel
flavorizer bars, the ss grates themselves, the big catch pan under the
grill unit and if possible, even inner walls of the unit.

I know I won't get it back to how it was when it was first taken out
of the box, but would be nice to find out what some of you do to clean
your grillers. Thanks for your time and courtesy.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cynic" > wrote in message
>I have a Weber and it's time for me to suck it up and get down to the
> nitty gritty. But one of the reasons I've been putting off the duty
> to clean my grill is that I just don't know what to use or how to
> clean all that burnt gunk off.
>
> I wish to be able to clean off everything, the stainless steel
> flavorizer bars, the ss grates themselves, the big catch pan under the
> grill unit and if possible, even inner walls of the unit.
>
> I know I won't get it back to how it was when it was first taken out
> of the box, but would be nice to find out what some of you do to clean
> your grillers. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

I have several ways to tackle the cleaning chore and it depends on how
grimey it becomes and which cooker I'm going to clean. I have 3 webers, 2 x
kettles & a baby Q but apart from getting some water into the gas tubes on
the little Q, it's basically the same method.Charcoal kettles are easier
due to the grates and stuff are easy to remove.

Generally if they are not too bad, I just heat them up to a very high temp
and let it burn all the crap on the grates and then give them a good scrape
with a copper wire brush but when theres a build up, I take the grill bars
off and give the cooker a good dose of Oven Cleaner which you leave on for a
good few hours or a Non- toxic degreaser. Once the degreasers have a good
chance to eat the layers of crap, then I give it a blast with a high
pressure water cleaner. works for me everytime and will get rid of most the
gunk that builds up over a period of time but it really is better if it's
done more often as then the job isn't as difficult. Expect to get wet, but
hey...it's Summer over your way now so you'll dry out quick too LOL.
If Possible, could be an idea to remove hood and clean seperately instead of
struggling with it in an upright position.
If it's a Gasser, same applies but when finished, light it up to dry out any
water that gets into the gas holes. Keep it lit without anything over them
untill at least all the holes are clear and lit.
You might find if your gas lighter may not spark due to being wet, just
light it with a portable gas cooker lighter.
Anyway, that should keep you out of mischief for a while......have fun!!

cheers

DJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 24, 6:33*pm, Cynic > wrote:
> I have a Weber and it's time for me to suck it up and get down to the
> nitty gritty. *But one of the reasons I've been putting off the duty
> to clean my grill is that I just don't know what to use or how to
> clean all that burnt gunk off.
>
> I wish to be able to clean off everything, the stainless steel
> flavorizer bars, the ss grates themselves, the big catch pan under the
> grill unit and if possible, even inner walls of the unit.
>
> I know I won't get it back to how it was when it was first taken out
> of the box, but would be nice to find out what some of you do to clean
> your grillers. *Thanks for your time and courtesy.

My DH takes off any part that will come off and puts it in a clean
garbage bag with about a cup of ammonia and closes it tightly. Leave
it overnight and most of the crud will just hose off. The ammonia
fumes do the work for you. If it is really bad it might take 2 tries,
but usually 1 will do it.
Nan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:32:38 +1000, "D&M JOHNSTON"
> wrote:

>"Cynic" > wrote in message
.. .
>>I have a Weber and it's time for me to suck it up and get down to the
>> nitty gritty. But one of the reasons I've been putting off the duty
>> to clean my grill is that I just don't know what to use or how to
>> clean all that burnt gunk off.
>>
>> I wish to be able to clean off everything, the stainless steel
>> flavorizer bars, the ss grates themselves, the big catch pan under the
>> grill unit and if possible, even inner walls of the unit.
>>
>> I know I won't get it back to how it was when it was first taken out
>> of the box, but would be nice to find out what some of you do to clean
>> your grillers. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

>I have several ways to tackle the cleaning chore and it depends on how
>grimey it becomes and which cooker I'm going to clean. I have 3 webers, 2 x
>kettles & a baby Q but apart from getting some water into the gas tubes on
>the little Q, it's basically the same method.Charcoal kettles are easier
>due to the grates and stuff are easy to remove.
>
>Generally if they are not too bad, I just heat them up to a very high temp
>and let it burn all the crap on the grates and then give them a good scrape
>with a copper wire brush but when theres a build up, I take the grill bars
>off and give the cooker a good dose of Oven Cleaner which you leave on for a
>good few hours or a Non- toxic degreaser. Once the degreasers have a good
>chance to eat the layers of crap, then I give it a blast with a high
>pressure water cleaner. works for me everytime and will get rid of most the
>gunk that builds up over a period of time but it really is better if it's
>done more often as then the job isn't as difficult. Expect to get wet, but
>hey...it's Summer over your way now so you'll dry out quick too LOL.
>If Possible, could be an idea to remove hood and clean seperately instead of
>struggling with it in an upright position.
>If it's a Gasser, same applies but when finished, light it up to dry out any
>water that gets into the gas holes. Keep it lit without anything over them
>untill at least all the holes are clear and lit.
>You might find if your gas lighter may not spark due to being wet, just
>light it with a portable gas cooker lighter.
>Anyway, that should keep you out of mischief for a while......have fun!!
>
>cheers
>
>DJ

Yeah, I figured there was no quick and easy way to do this. I did
thought of taking the pressure washer to it and guess I'll have to
now. Will have to find some old t-shirts and shorts I can toss after
the washing. Thanks!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:10:15 -0700 (PDT), Olde Hippee
> wrote:

>On Jun 24, 6:33*pm, Cynic > wrote:
>> I have a Weber and it's time for me to suck it up and get down to the
>> nitty gritty. *But one of the reasons I've been putting off the duty
>> to clean my grill is that I just don't know what to use or how to
>> clean all that burnt gunk off.
>>
>> I wish to be able to clean off everything, the stainless steel
>> flavorizer bars, the ss grates themselves, the big catch pan under the
>> grill unit and if possible, even inner walls of the unit.
>>
>> I know I won't get it back to how it was when it was first taken out
>> of the box, but would be nice to find out what some of you do to clean
>> your grillers. *Thanks for your time and courtesy.

>My DH takes off any part that will come off and puts it in a clean
>garbage bag with about a cup of ammonia and closes it tightly. Leave
>it overnight and most of the crud will just hose off. The ammonia
>fumes do the work for you. If it is really bad it might take 2 tries,
>but usually 1 will do it.
>Nan

DJ mentioned to take off whatever can come off and clean separately,
but that's a great idea too with the ammonia and the garbage bag.
Never thought of that. A combination of the garbage bag trick and
some pressure washer should do the trick then. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cynic wrote:

> DJ mentioned to take off whatever can come off and clean separately,
> but that's a great idea too with the ammonia and the garbage bag.
> Never thought of that. A combination of the garbage bag trick and
> some pressure washer should do the trick then. Thanks!

I rely almost exclusively on aluminum foil over the cooking surface of
my SS gas grill. Light all burners, cover all cooking surfaces
immediately with foil and let it cool down when the smoke stops. I then
wire brush the ash off. In a very few instances, such around the edges
of the grates, there might be some left over "crispy critter" stuck to
the SS bars that didn't get turned to ash. When I decide that there are
enough crispy critters left to warrant a good cleaning, I just light my
MAPP gas torch (like an LP torch, but with special burner and MAPP gas
cylinder) and nuke the area. It quickly turns to the familiar gray
ash, and can be brushed away.

BTW- the MAPP gas torch is handy to add blackening to grilled seafood,
such as shrimp or scallops. With very little practice, you can blacken
edges nicely, adding a more grilled look and a little char flavor.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
Never believe a person who is
Drunk, Horny or Running for Office.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed 25 Jun 2008 03:13:18p, Cynic told us...

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:32:38 +1000, "D&M JOHNSTON"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Cynic" > wrote in message
. ..
>>>I have a Weber and it's time for me to suck it up and get down to the
>>> nitty gritty. But one of the reasons I've been putting off the duty
>>> to clean my grill is that I just don't know what to use or how to
>>> clean all that burnt gunk off.
>>>
>>> I wish to be able to clean off everything, the stainless steel
>>> flavorizer bars, the ss grates themselves, the big catch pan under the
>>> grill unit and if possible, even inner walls of the unit.
>>>
>>> I know I won't get it back to how it was when it was first taken out
>>> of the box, but would be nice to find out what some of you do to clean
>>> your grillers. Thanks for your time and courtesy.

>>I have several ways to tackle the cleaning chore and it depends on how
>>grimey it becomes and which cooker I'm going to clean. I have 3 webers,
>>2 x kettles & a baby Q but apart from getting some water into the gas
>>tubes on the little Q, it's basically the same method.Charcoal kettles
>>are easier due to the grates and stuff are easy to remove.
>>
>>Generally if they are not too bad, I just heat them up to a very high
>>temp and let it burn all the crap on the grates and then give them a
>>good scrape with a copper wire brush but when theres a build up, I take
>>the grill bars off and give the cooker a good dose of Oven Cleaner which
>>you leave on for a good few hours or a Non- toxic degreaser. Once the
>>degreasers have a good chance to eat the layers of crap, then I give it
>>a blast with a high pressure water cleaner. works for me everytime and
>>will get rid of most the gunk that builds up over a period of time but
>>it really is better if it's done more often as then the job isn't as
>>difficult. Expect to get wet, but hey...it's Summer over your way now so
>>you'll dry out quick too LOL. If Possible, could be an idea to remove
>>hood and clean seperately instead of struggling with it in an upright
>>position. If it's a Gasser, same applies but when finished, light it up
>>to dry out any water that gets into the gas holes. Keep it lit without
>>anything over them untill at least all the holes are clear and lit.
>>You might find if your gas lighter may not spark due to being wet, just
>>light it with a portable gas cooker lighter.
>>Anyway, that should keep you out of mischief for a while......have fun!!
>>
>>cheers
>>
>>DJ

> Yeah, I figured there was no quick and easy way to do this. I did
> thought of taking the pressure washer to it and guess I'll have to
> now. Will have to find some old t-shirts and shorts I can toss after
> the washing. Thanks!

I periodically put my grates in my self-cleaning oven and run through a
cycle. Nothing left but ash to brush off. As to the rest of the removable
parts, I use the bag and ammonia method.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 06(VI)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> Cynic wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 07:10:15 -0700 (PDT), Olde Hippee
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My DH takes off any part that will come off and puts it in a clean
>>> garbage bag with about a cup of ammonia and closes it tightly. Leave
>>> it overnight and most of the crud will just hose off. The ammonia
>>> fumes do the work for you. If it is really bad it might take 2 tries,
>>> but usually 1 will do it.
>>> Nan

>> DJ mentioned to take off whatever can come off and clean separately,
>> but that's a great idea too with the ammonia and the garbage bag.
>> Never thought of that. A combination of the garbage bag trick and
>> some pressure washer should do the trick then. Thanks!

> The one thing that puts me off with all these remedies is the noxious
> chemicals. Degreasers, ammonia... I don't want that stuff on surfaces
> where
> I cook my food.
>
> Steam works very well and doesn't leave any chemical residue. Here's a
> bunch
> of them......
>
> http://www.allbrands.com/products/abc0086.html

Yes steam will do it but to buy a steam cleaner strong enough to do the job
will be expensive.

Not all degreasers are toxic or noxious, there are citrus based degreasers
that are designed for BBQ equipment and work quite well and if they are
rinsed and washed properly, they shouldn't leave any residue or bad smells.
I've never had a problem with any degreasers including oven cleaners as that
is what they are designed for.
I find my Weber Q will get a lot dirtier quicker because I use it at least 4
days a week and i give it a thorough clean up about every 6 weeks in the
way I stated before, but as far as the kettles are concerned, they are so
easy to clean and usually get done just prior to springtime.
I've never used amonia on my cookers so I can't comment on them.

Cheers

DJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

--
Try plain white vinegar. That's what I use on all food surfaces. I also
support Nonnymous' suggestion of putting the grills in a self-cleaning oven.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jun-2008, "Ivan Weiss" > wrote:

> "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message
> >
> > The one thing that puts me off with all these remedies is the
> > noxious
> > chemicals. Degreasers, ammonia... I don't want that stuff on
> > surfaces
> > where
> > I cook my food.

> --
> Try plain white vinegar. That's what I use on all food surfaces. I
> also
> support Nonnymous' suggestion of putting the grills in a
> self-cleaning oven.
> --
> ivan

I want to caution you folks that might opt for the self-cleaning
oven
procedure. It works very well, however, it requires considerable
ventilation to rid the area of the noxious fumes produced. In my
case
the vented range hood over my stove is totally inadequate to handle
the fumes produced.

I can alternatively use my outside gas grill, but the propane
required
is significantly more expensive then the natural gas used indoors.

I have no objection to using noxious chemicals on my cooker parts.
Once the parts have been thoroughly hosed off and then reheated,
I detect no residual effects from the chemicals. (usually oven
cleaner).

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best way to clean a stainless steel grill <-= Thank You All for the Replies. Really Appreciate it.