Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Coffee with Pulled Pork

No- I don't mean drinking coffee with pulled pork. I made pulled pork
(I'd abbreviate pulled pork, but pp just doesn't sound right!) I
rubbed it (See- "I rubbed my pp" just ain't right!) with a generous
amount of Penzey's Bicentennial rub, then slathered it with CYM, and
then rubbed it with a mixture of S&P, garlic powder, and finely ground
coffee. I have a high end grinder, and ground it to an almost powder
like consistency. The pulled pork was awesome- inside was, as usual,
not affected much by the rub. However, the bark was the best I've ever
had! The coffee gave it a great strong flavor, although it really
didn't taste like coffee. It was crisper than normal, but in no way
"crunchy" from the coffee, and tasted amazing! Has anyone tried using
coffee in their rubs- for pulled pork, or anything, for that matter?
If so, how did it turn out?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> No- I don't mean drinking coffee with pulled pork. I made pulled pork
> (I'd abbreviate pulled pork, but pp just doesn't sound right!) I
> rubbed it (See- "I rubbed my pp" just ain't right!) with a generous
> amount of Penzey's Bicentennial rub, then slathered it with CYM, and
> then rubbed it with a mixture of S&P, garlic powder, and finely ground
> coffee. I have a high end grinder, and ground it to an almost powder
> like consistency. The pulled pork was awesome- inside was, as usual,
> not affected much by the rub. However, the bark was the best I've ever
> had! The coffee gave it a great strong flavor, although it really
> didn't taste like coffee. It was crisper than normal, but in no way
> "crunchy" from the coffee, and tasted amazing! Has anyone tried using
> coffee in their rubs- for pulled pork, or anything, for that matter?
> If so, how did it turn out?

I've used it on brisket a good bit, with very good results. Then make a
dipping sauce that includes coffee... I say dipping sauce because it's
thinner than bbq sauce(or I consider it to be anyway).

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 19, 8:03*pm, JimnGin > wrote:
> No- I don't mean drinking coffee with pulled pork. I made pulled pork
> (I'd abbreviate pulled pork, but pp just doesn't sound right!) I
> rubbed it (See- "I rubbed my pp" just ain't right!) with a generous
> amount of Penzey's Bicentennial rub, then slathered it with CYM, and
> then rubbed it with a mixture of S&P, garlic powder, and finely ground
> coffee. I have a high end grinder, and ground it to an almost powder
> like consistency. The pulled pork was awesome- inside was, as usual,
> not affected much by the rub. However, the bark was the best I've ever
> had! The coffee gave it a great strong flavor, although it really
> didn't taste like coffee. It was crisper than normal, but in no way
> "crunchy" from the coffee, and tasted amazing! Has anyone tried using
> coffee in their rubs- for pulled pork, or anything, for that matter?
> If so, how did it turn out?

When you're right you're right, prepping your meat by slathering your
pp in CYM really doesn't sound right.

How much coffee did you use, equal amounts each of S, P, Gpowder and
coffee? Or heavy on the coffee?

Sounds like I want to try this next time, which should be
soon.........

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 1, 1:43*pm, Tutall > wrote:
> On Jun 19, 8:03*pm, JimnGin > wrote:

> When you're right you're right, prepping your meat by slathering your
> pp in CYM really doesn't sound right.
>
> How much coffee did you use, equal amounts each of S, P, Gpowder and
> coffee? Or heavy on the coffee?
>
> Sounds like I want to try this next time, which should be
> soon.........

I really didn't measure amounts, but I'd say- or more accurately-
guess: 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely ground coffee, 2-3 Tbls garlic powder,
and 1 Tbls each S&P. (Maybe a little less salt than 1 Tbls) I'm just
estimating here- but it should be pretty close to what I used. Be sure
to grind the coffee very fine.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I haven't used coffee on pork except for an old recipe I had for
coffee encrusted pork chops.

I'll admit it... I am a coffee fiend. I buy my own green beans and
hand roast them to the profile I like. I have three grinders to get
the exact grind I want.

I use coffee in all kinds of sauces to give some depth to the flavor,
but many time homemade barbecue sauce just screams for it to be added.

That being said, try adding fresh espresso grind coffee to your
brisket rub. Talk about great stuff... wow. You have to make the
exact amount of rub you will use as the coffee will spoil in about a
week or so after grinding to espresso size granules.

Just take your regular rub, and add it to the mix. My rule of thumb
is to use the same amount of coffee as I do black pepper. The coffee
really seems to help make a better bark as well.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 1, 8:54*pm, JimnGin > wrote:
> On Jul 1, 1:43*pm, Tutall > wrote:
>
> > On Jun 19, 8:03*pm, JimnGin > wrote:
> > When you're right you're right, prepping your meat by slathering your
> > pp in CYM really doesn't sound right.

> > How much coffee did you use, equal amounts each of S, P, Gpowder and
> > coffee? Or heavy on the coffee?

> > Sounds like I want to try this next time, which should be

> I really didn't measure amounts, but I'd say- or more accurately-
> guess: 1/4 to 1/2 cup finely ground coffee, 2-3 Tbls garlic powder,
> and 1 Tbls each S&P. (Maybe a little less salt than 1 Tbls) I'm just
> estimating here- but it should be pretty close to what I used. Be sure
> to grind the coffee very fine.
>
> Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
>
> JimnGin

Hell, it'll be my first time with CYM too, just never bothered before,
now I figure to check it out. Thanks for the info all.