Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Follow-up: pork sandwiches at the swim meet

Well, it went down pretty well. I wanted to thank the group for the
comments and guidance provided earlier.

I was going to cook 8 butts, the store only had 7, so I did 7 on
Friday. I used a very simple rub. They went in about 10:00 am, came
off at 7:30 pm. I let them sit for 30-40 mins, wrapped them in
freezer paper, and put them in the refrigerator. Saturday, I
microwaved them in batches at the mid-range of the power scale until
they got to 150 deg or so. Then wrapped them in towels and put them
in a cooler, and chopped them at the meet to the delight of the
patrons.

Sold all but one butt in about 2 hrs. The patrons weren't very bbq
savvy: they used the store-bought (Cattleman's) bbq sauce, very few
even tried the vinegar sauce, and only 3-4 people put the slaw on
their sandwich. Still, people seemed to like it (I didn't see one
half-eaten sandwich thrown away or left out), and we made a modest
profit for the team.

One thing I hadn't counted on though: a local deli sent a guy out
about 8:30 - 9:00 am, who took orders for deli sandwiches for lunch
delivery. This was before the bbq was widely known. So the deli took
away some potential sales. Next time, people may wait for the bbq.

Anyway, I wanted to thank the group for the comments and guidance
provided earlier.

Thanks a heap,
-Zz