Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Q: Best of the West lump- not mesquite

I just purchased what I thought was BOTW mesquite, but when I got the stuff
home it is 'best of the west 100% lump hardwood charcoal', and instead of
being a product of mexico it came straight from argentina, packaged four
10-pound bags to a 'case', which is a plain brown shipping wrapper. Two
Trees makes no metion of regular lump on their website, only mesquite
(http://www.twotreesproducts.com/). I wrote
them an email asking what the heck I just purchased, as I have 200# of the
stuff, and I bought it from a restaurant supply wholesaler 80 miles away,
so it's not that easy to return the product. I called the place of
putchase, and they are cluseless, trying to tell me that it's mesquite- it
is not. I burned some of it today- it is extremely dense, a 10# bag is much
smaller in size that 10# bags of other lump brands. Also, the wood is very
shiny black, and has a sort of fruity smell, and burns very hot, and
produces almost a snow-white ash. Anyone know whta this stuff is, and is it
OK to use for smoking ribs and brisket, or should I complain to both Two
Trees (they told me where to buy their 'mesquite' lump, and provided me the
name and city of the meat / restaurant wholesaler) and also complain the
place I purchased it, or keep it at 50 cents a pound (which is a bit
cheaper than the going rate for any lump here in Minnesota).
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Best of the West lump- not mesquite

"meatchief" > wrote in message
21...
> Anyone know whta this stuff is, and is it
> OK to use for smoking ribs and brisket, or should I complain to both Two
> Trees (they told me where to buy their 'mesquite' lump, and provided me
> the
> name and city of the meat / restaurant wholesaler) and also complain the
> place I purchased it, or keep it at 50 cents a pound (which is a bit
> cheaper than the going rate for any lump here in Minnesota).

How do you know it is not mesquite? If it is lump charcoal, it does not
matter what wood it came from. Have you ever seen the charcoal making
process? It leaves behind what is closer to pure carbon than wood. I'd
care about the original hardwood about as much as I care where the crude
came from for the gas in my car.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 1, 5:02*am, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "meatchief" > wrote in message
>
> 21...
>
> > Anyone know whta this stuff is, and is it
> > OK to use for smoking ribs and brisket, or should I complain to both Two
> > Trees (they told me where to buy their 'mesquite' lump, and provided me
> > the
> > name and city of *the meat / restaurant wholesaler) and also complain the
> > place I purchased it, or keep it at 50 cents a pound (which is a bit
> > cheaper than the going rate for any lump here in Minnesota).

> How do you know it is not mesquite? *If it is lump charcoal, it does not
> matter what wood it came from. *Have you ever seen the charcoal making
> process? *It leaves behind what is closer to pure carbon than wood. *I'd
> care about the original hardwood about as much as I care where the crude
> came from for the gas in my car.

I dunno, the process is less than perfect and leaves a lot of wood
behind. At least the place I buy mine from is that way. I get a
distinct oak flavor and smell from mine, just at the OP get's a
distinct fruity smell, and I sure as hell can tell mesquite lump for
the bitter stuff it is.

You're talking theory Ed, not reality, hell, according to theory, all
Vodka should taste exactly the same in the US.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> Off the point a bit, but Argentina? And lump isn't all that dense, meaning
> that in shipping its going to consume more space per pound than most
> commodities or products, so it doesn't seem like something that would be
> efficient to export thousands of miles northwards, and then have it sell
> for
> less than similar products in the same locale. However as you point out
> its
> more dense than most lump, so is it possible its actually been processed?
> It
> sounds very strange indeed.
>
> MartyB in KC

I've seen lump charcoal in Italy that was imported from Argentina.
Container freight is actually cheaper than you'd think. There is also a lot
of hardwood for furniture now being imported from South America, including
mesquite.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Tutall" > wrote in message

I dunno, the process is less than perfect and leaves a lot of wood
behind. At least the place I buy mine from is that way. I get a
distinct oak flavor and smell from mine, just at the OP get's a
distinct fruity smell, and I sure as hell can tell mesquite lump for
the bitter stuff it is.

***********************************

Is that red or white oak? American or French? Are you sure there is no
maple in there?

You're talking theory Ed, not reality, hell, according to theory, all
Vodka should taste exactly the same in the US.
*****************************
Most of it does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits > wrote:

> Off the point a bit, but Argentina? And lump isn't all that dense, meaning
> that in shipping its going to consume more space per pound than most
> commodities or products, so it doesn't seem like something that would be
> efficient to export thousands of miles northwards, and then have it sell for
> less than similar products in the same locale. However as you point out its
> more dense than most lump, so is it possible its actually been processed? It
> sounds very strange indeed.

There are several brands in the stores that are produced in South
America.

Kingsford 'Charwood' lump comes from Argentina, for example, as well
as a bunch of the store brands.

Royal Oak comes from Paraguay, Brazil, and/or Argentina.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
> meatchief wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> Off the point a bit, but Argentina? And lump isn't all that dense,
> meaning that in shipping its going to consume more space per pound than
> most commodities or products, so it doesn't seem like something that
> would be efficient to export thousands of miles northwards, and then have
> it sell for less than similar products in the same locale. However as you
> point out its more dense than most lump, so is it possible its actually
> been processed? It sounds very strange indeed.

I think it was Graeme who mentioned that charcoal was exported from
(South?) Africa to England and sold on the cheap.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 1, 7:02*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> ***********************************
>
> Is that red or white oak? *American or French? *Are you sure there is no
> maple in there?

The latest batch was a vintage California 1910 red oak, a bit heavy in
the tannins, but a smooth finish with a hint of anise.

I'm looking forward to the Sonora white, it's supposed to be
delightful with fish.

Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor? Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 13 16-06-2011 02:40 AM
Mesquite Beer The Joneses Preserving 0 19-05-2006 02:18 AM
Mesquite hyped? ceed Barbecue 44 01-08-2005 10:12 PM
Store brand mesquite lump! ceed Barbecue 5 31-07-2005 12:20 AM
Mesquite Powder? Peter Watson Preserving 5 17-08-2004 11:53 AM