Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default green wood for smoke flavoring?

I have some plum trunks that were recently cut. I want to use the wood
for smoke flavoring in my horizontal smoker. Not for fuel - I use lump
for that - but just to add chunks to smoke. What I want to know is if I
have to season the wood before using it or if I can use it green.

Thanks!

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

PS Any local guys want to trade some cherry or apple for some plum?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
>I have some plum trunks that were recently cut. I want to use the wood
> for smoke flavoring in my horizontal smoker. Not for fuel - I use lump
> for that - but just to add chunks to smoke. What I want to know is if I
> have to season the wood before using it or if I can use it green.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Grant Erwin
> Kirkland, Washington
>
> PS Any local guys want to trade some cherry or apple for some plum?

Use it
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>I have some plum trunks that were recently cut. I want to use the wood
> for smoke flavoring in my horizontal smoker. Not for fuel - I use lump
> for that - but just to add chunks to smoke. What I want to know is if I
> have to season the wood before using it or if I can use it green.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Grant Erwin
> Kirkland, Washington
>
> PS Any local guys want to trade some cherry or apple for some plum?

Season it. About 20 to 30 minutes is enough.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
>>I have some plum trunks that were recently cut. I want to use the wood
>> for smoke flavoring in my horizontal smoker. Not for fuel - I use lump
>> for that - but just to add chunks to smoke. What I want to know is if I
>> have to season the wood before using it or if I can use it green.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Grant Erwin
>> Kirkland, Washington
>>
>> PS Any local guys want to trade some cherry or apple for some plum?

> Season it. About 20 to 30 minutes is enough.

Ed's right. Where is my mind. I used some once that had aged for about 5
minutes. Just wasn't the same.
Ed you gonna try to get to Dan's this year?
Me Bob and Ginger will be there on 7/24/08
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin > wrote:
> I have some plum trunks that were recently cut. I want to use the wood
> for smoke flavoring in my horizontal smoker. Not for fuel - I use lump
> for that - but just to add chunks to smoke. What I want to know is if I
> have to season the wood before using it or if I can use it green.

My experience with Kaffir lime wood is season it (let it dry). The green
wood gave me an acrid smoke. If your plum trunks are fat, you may want to
split 'em to let 'em dry faster.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
>> I have some plum trunks that were recently cut. I want to use the wood
>> for smoke flavoring in my horizontal smoker. Not for fuel - I use lump
>> for that - but just to add chunks to smoke. What I want to know is if I
>> have to season the wood before using it or if I can use it green.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Grant Erwin
>> Kirkland, Washington
>>
>> PS Any local guys want to trade some cherry or apple for some plum?

> Season it. About 20 to 30 minutes is enough.

Seriously, I'd think of a little pre burn beforehand to get rid of some
of the moisture and low temp. volatiles.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
Never believe a person who is