Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Rust on Weber grill

The thread on recommended grills made me think of an actual
question. :-)

I live just above Puget Sound. My Weber Silver A has rust spots on the
handles, on the porcelain-coated CI grates, on the Flavorizer bars,
and anything else you can name (not on the porcelain exterior). I
don't have a covered area to place it, and nowhere to store it in an
enclosed space (no garage or carport, for instance).

I just tried smearing peanut oil on the worst spots on the grates, but
haven't tried anything on the bars as yet.

Do you folks have any suggestions for how I can deal with the rust and
protect the grill? It's usually covered now, but the winds here blow
the cover off frequently. Weber's only suggestion was to replaced all
the rusted parts, which could be quite an expenditure.

Thank you for any help,

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

--
I hope folks will excuse me for using a four-letter word on a family
newsgroup, but I would smear it all with L-A-R-D.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 10, 8:58 pm, "Ivan Weiss" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > The thread on recommended grills made me think of an actual
> > question. :-)

> > I live just above Puget Sound. My Weber Silver A has rust spots on the
> > handles, on the porcelain-coated CI grates, on the Flavorizer bars,
> > and anything else you can name (not on the porcelain exterior). I
> > don't have a covered area to place it, and nowhere to store it in an
> > enclosed space (no garage or carport, for instance).

> > I just tried smearing peanut oil on the worst spots on the grates, but
> > haven't tried anything on the bars as yet.

> > Do you folks have any suggestions for how I can deal with the rust and
> > protect the grill? It's usually covered now, but the winds here blow
> > the cover off frequently. Weber's only suggestion was to replaced all
> > the rusted parts, which could be quite an expenditure.

> --
> I hope folks will excuse me for using a four-letter word on a family
> newsgroup, but I would smear it all with L-A-R-D.
> --
> ivan

*snicker* I'll forgive you, Ivan.

Why do you suggest lard in particular? I am actually curious here.

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 11, 7:43 pm, "Ivan Weiss" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ...> On May 10, 8:58 pm, "Ivan Weiss" > wrote:
> >> --
> >> I hope folks will excuse me for using a four-letter word on a family
> >> newsgroup, but I would smear it all with L-A-R-D.
> >> --
> >> ivan

> > *snicker* I'll forgive you, Ivan.

> > Why do you suggest lard in particular? I am actually curious here.

> --
> It should adhere to your metal surfaces better and longer than peanut oil,
> being more viscous. Plus it's edible. You wouldn't want to use Vaseline or
> gear oil, would you? };->
> --
> ivan

Ummmm...no. Thanks for explaining!