FoodBanter.com

-   -   BBQ Styles - Side dish question. (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/154779-bbq-styles-side-dish.html)

Scootz 29-04-2008 02:44 AM

BBQ Styles - Side dish question.

Since styles were brought up, i have a specific side dish question.
Who here makes their own Brunswich Stew?
Are you a soup style or southern style stew fan?
Anyone have any recipes they care to share?
I prefer southern style stew personally, ground meats with a tomato base,
corn, spices, and really thick. Tho if you were to get technical about it,
real southern stew would have to have the brains in it also, but i draw the
line there, i prefer all my meats and fish, plus side dishs to be minus the head.

I use this recipe as a base and vary the spices a bit from time to time.
Its from the local Co-Op, and makes a nice stew. Ive also used leftover
smoked meat to make up a portion of the total called for in the recipe.

Brunswick Stew

6 pounds chicken
6 pounds pork
6 pounds beef
15 cups (120 oz) canned crushed tomatos
1 cup (8 oz) tomato paste
4 cups (32 oz) cream style corn
2 cups (16 oz) whole kernel corn
4 cups (2) large onions, diced
1 oz worchestershire sauce
1 tbsp (1/2 oz) butter
8 tbsp (4 oz) salt
4 tbsp (1 oz) black pepper
4 tbsp (2 oz) vinegar or lemon juice
1/4 cup hot sauce
For a slightly spicier stew, add 1 tbsp of paprika and 1 tbsp red pepper.

Place meat in large pot, add a small amount of water and cook until meat falls off bones.
Remove meat, clean and debone. Strain remaining broth and return to kettle.
Grind or chop meat untill fine. Add meat, tomatos, corn and other ingredients.
Cook on low heat for 45 mins, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
Serve or freeze in individual containers.
To retain original comparable flavor, do not reduce this recipe by more than half.

Scooter