Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Freezing Uncooked Butts?

"JW" > wrote in message
> Hey - I usually just buy fresh and cook, but our local Piggly Wiggly is
> running a pretty good sale. Does anybody have experience with freezing
> uncooked butts? Does it affect taste or texture? How long can I store it
> frozen? How long should it take to thaw out an 8# butt in the fridge? Does
> a meat thermometer read accurately enough at low temps to know when it's
> unfrozen? Anything else I need to know? Thanks for all the advice and
> feedback.
> JW

the Pig here(wisconsin) had butts at $.99/lb last week---bought them stilll
in the cyro and froze---kinda small but will make great sausage or
sandwiches
buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JW" > wrote in message
> "2fatbbq" > wrote in message
>>
>> "JW" > wrote in message
>>> Hey - I usually just buy fresh and cook, but our local Piggly Wiggly is
>>> running a pretty good sale. Does anybody have experience with freezing
>>> uncooked butts? ..snip snip...
>>>

>> the Pig here(wisconsin) had butts at $.99/lb last week---bought them
>> stilll in the cyro and froze---kinda small but will make great sausage or
>> sandwiches
>> buzz

> Thanks for all the feedback, I guess I'll give it a shot freezing a
> couple. Same price this week at our Pig, which is considerably cheaper
> than I can usually find them. Most of the ones in the counter are pretty
> small, but the butcher will get me 7.5-8# ones anytime I ask. He told me
> theirs have never been frozen. Thanks again.
> JW

IMO freezing really doesn't hurt the quality of butts--as long as it isn't a
frost free freezer anyway
buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> "2fatbbq" > wrote
>
>> IMO freezing really doesn't hurt the quality of butts--as long as it
>> isn't a frost free freezer anyway
>> buzz
>>

> OK, time for me to learn something.... what does the frost free thing
> have to do with it?

Frost-free can be problematic with dehydrating --- and freezer burn ---
meats, unless properly and thoroughly wrapped.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> "2fatbbq" > wrote
>
>> IMO freezing really doesn't hurt the quality of butts--as long as it
>> isn't

>> frost free freezer anyway
>> buzz
>>

> OK, time for me to learn something.... what does the frost free thing have
> to do with it?
>
> MartyB in KC

what Dave said plus they usually cost more to run

uncooked, uncured ham Zz Yzx Barbecue 6 02-04-2010 06:57 PM
Best way to store uncooked rice? Anthony Ferrante[_2_] General Cooking 24 27-07-2008 02:09 AM
Freezing Uncooked Butts? Grant Erwin Barbecue 1 08-04-2008 04:00 AM
freezing cooked or uncooked? JWBH[_1_] General Cooking 3 10-06-2007 12:56 PM
Uncooked Sausage Patscga General Cooking 10 27-11-2004 01:04 AM