Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Cleaning Traeger Grills

I'm wondering about the relatively low temps inside the grill. On
several occasions after I haven't used it for a while, I've opened the
lid to find mold and bacteria growing all over the inside of the
grill. I've never found that on my gas grill, but if I did, I'd just
turn it on high for about 15 minutes and burn all that stuff off
because I can get the temperature about 500 deg or so. On the Traeger,
even at 400 degrees, the "burning" doesn't happen because there's no
direct flame. How to Traeger users "clean" the inside before you put
the meat in? Does anybody feel like this is a health problem? I've
never gotten sick but I have spent alot of time scraping and clorox-
ing the inside before I get started grilling, just to make sure.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hello, Greg.

I don't know anything about the Traeger equipment, but I am sure
someone over here does:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/modules.php?name=Jig

Post a question, and you should get some answers soon. They will ask
you to go to roll call, but it is a pretty nice group of folks over
there, and they don't spam you if you join.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 1, 9:29 pm, " >
wrote:
> Hello, Greg.
>
> I don't know anything about the Traeger equipment, but I am sure
> someone over here does:
>
> http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/modules.php?name=Jig
>
> Post a question, and you should get some answers soon. They will ask
> you to go to roll call, but it is a pretty nice group of folks over
> there, and they don't spam you if you join.
>
> Robert

Thanks Robert, I'll give it a try.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 21:38:55 -0700, greg h wrote:

> I'm wondering about the relatively low temps inside the grill. On
> several occasions after I haven't used it for a while, I've opened the
> lid to find mold and bacteria growing all over the inside of the grill.
> I've never found that on my gas grill, but if I did, I'd just turn it on
> high for about 15 minutes and burn all that stuff off because I can get
> the temperature about 500 deg or so. On the Traeger, even at 400
> degrees, the "burning" doesn't happen because there's no direct flame.
> How to Traeger users "clean" the inside before you put the meat in? Does
> anybody feel like this is a health problem? I've never gotten sick but I
> have spent alot of time scraping and clorox- ing the inside before I get
> started grilling, just to make sure.

A propane torch with a flame spreader works fast but leaves a residue,
easy-off oven cleaner works well but is labor intensive.

http://www.usenet.com

Cleaning cast iron grills Rob Mills Barbecue 6 01-02-2009 12:05 AM
Traeger vs. Louisiana wood pellet grills WhansaMi Barbecue 21 09-05-2007 08:28 AM
Traeger Grills / Wood Pellet Barbecue 2 09-12-2006 04:06 PM
Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills Bill Schulz Cooking Equipment 5 10-11-2003 06:02 PM
Infrared BBQ Grills vs traditional grills Bill Schulz Barbecue 3 08-11-2003 09:25 PM