Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default From the archives Recipes #5

Walter Jetton was BBQ caterer to the LBJ Ranch. In 1965, he (along with
Arthur Whitman) published "Walter Jetton's LBJ Barbecue Cook Book." I have
mentioned it a couple of times in posts, and, since the book is long out of
print, I got several requests to post some of the recipes. Here are some of
my favorites, along with Jetton's comments and instructions...

Mop For All Barbecue Meats (about 3 quarts)
(note - these are half the quantities in the original recipe )

Ingredients:

1 ½ Tbs. salt

1 ½ Tbs. dry mustard

1 Tbs. garlic powder

½ Tbs. ground bay leaf

1 Tbs. chili powder

1 ½ Tbs. paprika

1 Tbs. Lu'siana Hot Sauce

1 Pint Worcestershire Sauce

½ Pint vinegar

2 Qt. bone stock

½ Pint oil

Make the bone stock just the way you would start a soup - buy good stout
beef bones from the butcher and boil them.

Add all the other ingredients and let stand overnight before using.

Use this to rub over meats or to baste them while they are cooking. Put it
on with a little dish mop of the kind you see in the dime store. As you use
it, the flavor will change and improve, for you are constantly transferring
smoke and grease from the meat back to the mop concoction.

If you have any left over, keep it in the refrigerator.

This is the secret of the ages I am giving you here, and I would not be
surprised if wars have been fought over less. Use this as a plate or table
sauce with beef, chicken, pork or almost anything else. Don't cook things
in it.

Barbecue Sauce
(about 2 1/2 cups)

Ingredients:

1 cup tomato ketchup

½ cup cider vinegar

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. chili powder

1/8 tsp. salt

1 ½ cups water

3 stalks celery, chopped

3 bay leaves

1 clove garlic

2 Tbs. chopped onion

4 Tbs. butter

4 Tbs. Worcestershire Sauce

1 tsp. paprika

dash black pepper

Combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer about 15 minutes.

Remove from the heat and strain.

(note - the celery pieces that you strain out from the sauce are among the

most delicious things I have ever tasted - really wonderful. In fact, I

sometimes made the sauce just to have some of the yummy celery. - Bruce)

Dry Rib Seasoning
(about 12 ounces)

This is for sprinkling on spareribs before you barbecue them. Use heaping
measures when you are mixing it and do not skimp when you use it.

6 Tbs. salt

6 Tbs. sugar

1 Tbs. dry lemon powder

2 Tbs. MSG or other pep powder

2 ½ Tbs. black pepper

1 Tbs. paprika

Dry Poultry Seasoning
(about 1 pound)

Sprinkle this on chicken and fowl before barbecuing.

Ingredients:

6 Tbs. salt

3 Tbs. black pepper

2 Tbs. MSG or other pep powder

2 Tbs. garlic powder

2 Tbs. ground bay leaves

1 Tbs. paprika

2 Tbs. dry mustard

Texas Beef Barbecue

This is made out of beef brisket, which is one of the tastiest cuts but the
least thought of by the average housewife, unless she sometimes buys it as
corned beef. It starts out pretty tough, but if you nurse it right, it's
delicious.

6 pounds beef brisket

2 quarts bone stock

3 bay leaves

salt and pepper

Put the bay leaves in a about a cup of water and bring to a boil. Let it
simmer 10 minutes or so, then remove the leaves and add the bay tea to the
bone stock, along with the salt and pepper.

Put the brisket in your Dutch Oven and add the stock mixture to cover it
about a quarter of the way. Cover and cook over the fire, turning the
brisket about every half hour until it's nearly done. This can be
determined by forking.

Mop it and lay it on the grill to finish cooking, being sure to turn it and
mop it every 20 minutes or so. To make a good natural gravy, add a little
Worcestershire Sauce and maybe a dash of chili powder to the liquid you
cooked the brisket in.

You can also serve this with barbecue sauce.

Triple-H Spare Ribs

I am naming these for vice-president Hubert H. Humphrey, who sure gave these
ribs a fit at the Victory Barbecue at the LBJ Ranch in November 1964. He
went at them like Clyde Beaty to cats and must have eaten them for an hour,
putting away more of them than I have ever seen anybody do. So far as I
could tell, they did him no harm.

Like most good dishes, it is easy to fix.

Buy the ribs "two and under," which your butcher will know means slabs of
ribs two pounds or less in weight.

Sprinkle them with Dry Rib Seasoning, taking care to get plenty of seasoning
under the flap of meat on the bottom, or bone side, of each slab.

Mop thoroughly and cook on the barbecue grill.

Baked Beans
(6 good-sized portions)

The easiest way to get yourself a good baked bean dish is to buy yourself
some canned baked beans and then proceed as follows.

Ingredients:

1 lg. can pork and beans

2 Tbs. grated onion

4 oz. salt pork, diced

4 oz,. breakfast bacon, fried and crumbled

2 Tbs. ketchup

3 Tbs. blackstrap molasses

1 Tbs. brown sugar

¼ tsp. dry mustard

salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients in a skillet and cook on the grill about 15 minutes
so the flavors can blend.

Some canned tomatoes on top will pep up the color and add to the flavor.

Golden Grill Barbecue Sauce

Ingredients:

1/4 c Sugar

2 TB Cornstarch

1/2 Ts Allspice

1/2 Ts Ground cloves

1 c Fresh Orange Juice

2 TB Vinegar

4 TB Butter

Combine sugar, cornstarch, allspice and cloves in a small saucepan.

Slowly stir in orange juice and vinegar. Stir constantly over medium heat
until sauce thickens.

Boil for three minutes.

Stir in butter.

Source: Best Barbecue Recipes by Mildred Fischer

Spicy Basting Sauce

Ingredients:

1 c Orange juice

1/2 c Lemon juice

1/4 c Soy Sauce

1/4 c Packed Brown Sugar

1 Ts Curry powder

1 Ts Black pepper

1/2 Ts Ginger

1/4 Ts Mace

Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Use to baste turkeys or chickens during
last 30 minutes of cooking.

Makes 2 cups sauce.

Source: Kikkoman International, Inc.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:48:43 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>
> More recipes from the archives.
>
> Thanks for all these, Ed. IIRC, it was you who supplied the big post
> full of pulled pork sauce recipes when I asked almost two years ago.
>
> 'Preciate it!

You're welcome. Knowledge is only valuable when used or shared.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default From the archives Recipes #5 <-= Thank You for these recipes! Really Appreciate 'Em!