Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Charcoal briquettes...

Of possible interest here is an episode of How it's Made that just aired
on the Discovery Channel and will surely air again a number of times.
This particular episode included a segment showing the production of
Kingsford charcoal briquettes, including the anthracite coal portion.
The episode air schedule should be on the Discovery site.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 6:23 pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Of possible interest here is an episode of How it's Made that just aired
> on the Discovery Channel and will surely air again a number of times.
> This particular episode included a segment showing the production of
> Kingsford charcoal briquettes, including the anthracite coal portion.
> The episode air schedule should be on the Discovery site.

Interesting episode. IIRC, it was at the Kingsford plant. I was
surprised that from start to finish they didn't seem to put any of the
horrible things in it that so many bbq sites scream about. I prefer
RO, Arrow all hardwood, etc., or plain wood, but in a pinch I didn't
seem to have the terrible reactions so many "experts" have to
Kingsford.

During that segment I kept waiting for them to spray the briquettes
with old motor oil, paint thinner or bug spray.
Actually didn't see anything disturbing. Wondered a bit about the
coal, but they explained it was for the high heat and long burn. Then
I remembered a competition on the best pizza in Chicago, and they
cooked their award winning pizzas right next to the coals from that
very anthracite.

In a strange turn of events, since Lowe's found they had a market for
the Royal Oak all hardwood stuff, it is priced about the same as
Kingsford at Sam's. It's about time.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pete C." > wrote in message
. net...

> Of possible interest here is an episode of How it's Made that just aired
> on the Discovery Channel and will surely air again a number of times.
> This particular episode included a segment showing the production of
> Kingsford charcoal briquettes, including the anthracite coal portion.
> The episode air schedule should be on the Discovery site.

Good reason why it's so important to support your local or National products
as usually they are of high quality whereas you just don't know what you're
getting with imported stuff and more importantly products that will come in
contact,directly or indirectly with food.
They wouldn't last 5 minutes in business if they had absolute crap in ther
product.someone would have been sick a long time ago i beleive.

Cheers
DJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 7:23*pm, " >
wrote:
> During that segment I kept waiting for them to spray the briquettes
> with old motor oil, paint thinner or bug spray.

You're sounding a bit hysterical here, why?

> Actually didn't see anything disturbing. *

Good on ya. Still smells like crap to me. And that's enough ain't it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 8:05 am, Tutall > wrote:

> You're sounding a bit hysterical here, why?

Yaaawwnnnn...... it is a slow day indeed if you can throw yourself off
the bridge of reality to reach that conclusion.

Hysterics?

Hmmm... a quick reread, and I didn't find anything hysterical in the
post. Maybe you need to got to decaf after that first morning cup.

While (for this group anyway) it has been a while since they lined up
to crap on Kingsford, it is pretty prevalent throughout some q goups.

You might review this thread from this group from about 10 months ago
though:

http://tinyurl.com/23q8au

It has comments you might understand better like "old tires would be
better than Kingsford", (Kingsford) briquettes aren't allowed on my
property", and of course from the Fat Man "It stinks like ass, and
makes your food taste like shit. If you disagree,
you are an idiot and I have no further time do discuss it with you. "

He can actually read human characteristics and personalities by the
kind of charcoal they pick! I like the fact too, that he is so proud
of his opinion that if you disagree with HIM, "you are an idiot".

I found a lot of strong language after rereading that thread, but I
think there was only one post that could have been considered
hysterics. It was borderline, though. But even that could actually
have been the braying of a conceited, arrogant ass.

I won't search any other groups for you, but if you are interested, it
is easy to do. With about 250 barbeque groups, forum, blogs, sites,
etc., you can find all the whining Kingsford you can imagine with just
a couple of key clicks.

> Good on ya. Still smells like crap to me.

>And that's enough ain't it.

Well absolutely. I am sure you are old enough to do whatever you
want. No one is trying to make you use something or do something you
don't want to do. I reread my post again, and didn't see any
forceful language or encouragement to actually use Kingsford (maybe
you should actually make that first cup decaf....)
but rather just an admission that I would use it in a pinch.
Certainly not my first choice.

Now this post may look hysterical to you as well. If it does, I
suggest you give up coffee altogether.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 8:45*am, " >
wrote:
> On Mar 14, 8:05 am, Tutall > wrote:
>
> > You're sounding a bit hysterical here, why?

> Yaaawwnnnn...... it is a slow day indeed if you can throw yourself off
> the bridge of reality to reach that conclusion.

Missed the point. I suppose it could have been made a bit more
clearly.
The tone was meant to be "wry", not to be taken literally. But this
medium isn't that good at nuance, my bad.

> Hysterics?
>
> Hmmm... a quick reread, and I didn't find anything hysterical in the
> post. *Maybe you need to got to decaf after that first morning cup.

Hmmmm, why you getting personal?

> He can actually read human characteristics and personalities by the
> kind of charcoal they pick! *I like the fact too, that he is so proud
> of his opinion that if you disagree with HIM, "you are an idiot".

And you're so much above that as you're showing now? (which was my
point)

> I found a lot of strong language after rereading that thread,

Which you were obviously reacting to. Hence my reference to *your own*
hyterics in turn. Two wrongs and all that........ I should have made
this more clear.

> I won't search any other groups for you,

Gee, thanks.

> Well absolutely. *I am sure you are old enough to do whatever you
> want. *

Gee, thanks.

>No one is trying to make you use something or do something you
> don't want to do. *

Gee, thanks.

>I reread my post again, and didn't see any
> forceful language or encouragement to actually use Kingsford (maybe
> you should actually make that first cup decaf....)

> Now this post may look hysterical to you as well. *If it does, I
> suggest you give up coffee altogether.

Overreacting again, why get personal, and do you have a java fetish?
<bg>

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy you and your posts, just commented on this
one, k?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 11:12 am, Tutall > wrote:

> Missed the point. I suppose it could have been made a bit more
> clearly.
> The tone was meant to be "wry", not to be taken literally. But this
> medium isn't that good at nuance, my bad.

Not good, indeed. And I will assume at least half of the apparent
misunderstanding by saying I didn't give you more benefit of a
doubt.

It's just you see... being a construction worker for 35 years....
well.... you know.... no one calls you hysterical unless they looking
for problems. It is likened to being a hormonal teenage girl.

> Which you were obviously reacting to. Hence my reference to *your own*
> hyterics in turn. Two wrongs and all that........ I should have made
> this more clear.

Hey... I got it this time!!

> Overreacting again, why get personal, and do you have a java fetish?
> <bg>

ABSOLUTELY. Seriously, I really do. And if anyone is guilty of
drinking too much coffee, it is me. Since I started roasting my own
beans about 10 years ago, it has only made things worse.

I think I was "transferring" how I feel when I get a little too much
Joe in the veins.

> Don't get me wrong, I enjoy you and your posts, just commented on this
> one, k?

Thanks for taking the time to clear things up. I was wondering what
was going on.

Looking forward to your posts, benefit of the doubt in hand! And as
for me... maybe just one less cup of java before responding...

Well, maybe not. ;^)

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 6:19 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Damn, that's all too much for me, I gotta go make a pot of coffee. And make
> it iced coffee. Maybe with some scotch in it. Maybe with a black label on
> the scotch. And maybe hold the coffee beans. And maybe hold the water. And
> maybe some extra ice. And maybe some extra scotch. OK, that's better.

I do believe you have cracked the code towards better behavior. If we
would all just step back, take a long pull of liquor before
responding, the world would be a lot better place. Sign me up!

Will bourbon still work? Just about all the black labels of bourbon
are good.

> And BTWhttp://www.theroasterie.com/
>
> No need to roast my own when I can drop in there any time, and I can't do it
> half as well anyway.
>
> This may also interest you:

Hard to believe, but for a real example of total snobbery, you can go
to check out alt.coffee to see how the big boys do it. They go to the
point where they were so anal, so insular, and so arrogant that after
they ate all the common members, they have turned on themselves a
couple of times.

At least bbq guys have fun. But those guys.... sheesh. They used to
be really hopping with 30 - 40 posts a day, and now they can go a
couple of days without any. They argued about equipment (mine is
better than yours), blends of coffee, roasting techniques, roasting
equipment, how long to pull a shot (27 seconds at 15 bar seems to be
the accepted norm) and how to put electronic controllers on the
boilers of your machine.

I played for a while, but crap... I have a life, family, friends,
etc., more to do than spend a day cooking the perfect shot of
espresso. And as they became more "expert" in the field, there was a
lot of talk about writing books, giving seminars to the great
unwashed, holding standards meetings, organizing the Starbucks
barristers into a union, and all manner of things related to coffee.
They really ran with the whole coffee thing thinking they would be the
teachers of society by bringing the correct way to view coffee to a
uneducated society.

But as the "expertise" grew, so did a hierarchy, and then the fights
about who was right started. Then they ate each other. Literally.

OK, maybe not literally...

But there were so many hurt feelings from protracted fights and flame
wars that when I have gone over there to look around I haven't seen
any of the old group stalwarts there in at least a year or more.

I must say, I learned a lot by reading the archives. But my input was
not requested or valued (in truth it may not have been worth much) to
the coffee boys as I drink plain, black, brewed coffee. I don't have
a $1000 in a machine and $500 in a grinder so I could even be
considered a contributor. And roasting your own beans was a must
unless you bought them from a group approved vendor.

Horsehockey, I say. I just like a good cup of coffee.

> http://www.theroasterie.com/coffee/Green%2DCoffee/26

Checked out the link, and I will keep it. The price in the greens
isn't bad at all when you buy up the weight. I usually keep make an
order of about 35 - 50 pounds or so to keep on hand and I am about
halfway through it now. I may check them out when I am down to the
last few pounds.

Roasting coffee isn't hard, and doesn't require a lot of expensive
equipment. I don't mind doing it, and have been doing so for many
years now. I like trying the different coffees, and making my own
blends. None of this is any different that making good barbecue.
Practice, notes, equipment, and more practice is all it takes.
However, unlike barbecue I could have you roasting great coffee in
just a few minutes. Barbecuing for 30 years myself, I always find
more to learn. more tips, etc. to make it just a little bit better.

Robert's end to a good day of barbecue:

Full as a tick with good barbecue. Cold and clear outside, so women
go inside. Strong African dark roast brewed. Cigars lit, coffee
served. Tiny glasses appear.... Ezra Williams Black label poured and
served neat.

A pull off the stogie. A sip of whiskey. Coffee to chase as needed.
Conversation with my buddies I don't seem to see all that much
anymore.

What could get better than that?

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> A pull off the stogie. A sip of whiskey. Coffee to chase as needed.
> Conversation with my buddies I don't seem to see all that much
> anymore.
>
> What could get better than that?

Just one thing I can think of, but other than that, you're onto some serious
bliss.

-John O
-

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default OT coffee diversion Charcoal briquettes...

> I can get Roasterie here in KC at my grocery store, its within a couple
> days
> of fresh roasted, so having it that good and easy, I'm too damn lazy to do
> it myself. Its a local treasure.

Where can I get this stuff near downtown, or Westport? I'm drooling for some
coffee thanks to you guys, but I'm drinking a Bell's Winter Lager at the
moment. neener-neener

Oh, and the coffee snobs got nothing on the audiophools. Those idiots spend
thousands on friggin wire and plugs and knobs. morons.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in message

> "John O" > wrote in message
> et...
>> > I can get Roasterie here in KC at my grocery store, its within a couple
>> > days
>> > of fresh roasted, so having it that good and easy, I'm too damn lazy to

> do
>> > it myself. Its a local treasure.

>> Where can I get this stuff near downtown, or Westport? I'm drooling for

> some
>> coffee thanks to you guys, but I'm drinking a Bell's Winter Lager at the
>> moment. neener-neener

> Hey man, just south of dowtown, just off SW Blvd is where the factory is
> located. You can get it same day fresh. I live south and get it at my
> Price
> Chopper on 103rd, either bagged or bin. But here's the link to the factory
> location with map:
> http://www.theroasterie.com/contact.asp
>>
>> Oh, and the coffee snobs got nothing on the audiophools. Those idiots

> spend
>> thousands on friggin wire and plugs and knobs. morons.

> ROFL! I know some of them! I think we're onto something, creating a list
> of
> the ten most sucker-ridden high dollar product markets in the world, and
> it
> looks like we've got a good start!
>
> MartyB

That's the neighborhood with all the Mex restaurants, right? And the
Boulevard brewery, I think. I must remember to get some of that coffee.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> http://www.theroasterie.com/contact.asp
>> Oh, and the coffee snobs got nothing on the audiophools. Those idiots

> spend
>> thousands on friggin wire and plugs and knobs. morons.

> ROFL! I know some of them! I think we're onto something, creating a list of
> the ten most sucker-ridden high dollar product markets in the world, and it
> looks like we've got a good start!
>
> MartyB

It's the old 80% rule in action, Marty: 20% of the cost, time or effort
will get you 80% of the desired results. The other 20% improvement will
take up the remaining 80%.

Does Folgers still roast coffee downtown? Gosh, you could smell that
coffee roasting clear out to the Plaza, somedays.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 7:57 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> Me too. How the hell does the espressonottucinofrappumochalottacrappa crowd
> know if the coffee bean and roast is even any good? And personally I ain't
> buying any five buck cups of diluted coffee.

I don't think they have a clue what coffee tastes like. None at all.
If you have to put milk, cream, cinammon, whipped cream, sugar,
sprinkles, shavings, and all manner of other crap in it just to drink
it, then why?

I wouldn't care if they called it "Mixture X" or something like that,
but <coffee>? One of the groupies over there calculated how much
coffee was actually in their drinks, and in come cases he claimed less
than 50%.

> Geez, I woulda blown outta there too. What the problem there is, is that
> somebody met a salesman. Several of them, real good salesmen who convinced
> them that the same thing is actually different if you buy their stuff, and
> that anything more expensive that does the same thing in a more convoluted
> way is better. Kinda like some of the pellet pooper sales tracks. And the
> buyers of that kind of excessive oversell stuff tend to get real cranky
> because they have to justify the thousands of bucks they have overspent
> needlessly. It just turns into a stupid big d*ck contest. (IMHO, of course!)

Exactly. Different venue, different items, same EXACT results.

> I've got a Melitta counter grinder that's a dozen years old and it works
> fantastico. But I would like to meet the people who would spend $500 for a
> grinder because I have some investment propositions for them!

I have a La Pavoni Zip grinder on my counter that I bought for $100
at an auction. Check out this link to see what they cost:

http://tinyurl.com/2qmtvy

Did it take your breath away? A grand? Why does someone need that in
their home? (Of course, there are those that don't see the need of a
Klose pit at the house, either - but I call that short sighted!)

It needs grinding mills, and they are about $49. I am going to plug
them in, clean it up and sell it on Ebay. The last one they had like
this sold for about $550 in the condition this one is in.

I will drink
> an iced mocha once in a great while, made here at home on a countertop
> Braun, from really good beans. Tastes as good or better than the same thing
> from most coffee houses I have ever tried.

Of that, I have no doubt. But about the only thing I like IN my
coffee on a rare occasion is Benedictine and Brandy (B&B) or some of
the Amarettos. OK.. wait, at Christmas I like this stuff called
Tipperary, which is the alcohol doubled version of Bailey's. Check
that out in your coffee drinks!

> Of course, now Crackdonald's has gotten into the act, and they can crank the
> same thing out the drive through you have to wait five or ten minutes for
> while some pimply kid screws around in a coffee shop, for half the price,
> and there are Starbucks in Target stores, so from a marketing point of view,
> the gilding is going to be coming off that high dollar lilly ASAP.

Right on the money, Marty. I just read that McDonald's coffee sales
are up almost 20% for their foo foo drinks, and in the meantime
Starbuck's has closed 700 stores.

> > Horsehockey, I say. I just like a good cup of coffee.

> Damn straight! Bourbon for you, Scotch for me, coffee afterwards!

What an excellent night that would be.

> I can get Roasterie here in KC at my grocery store, its within a couple days
> of fresh roasted, so having it that good and easy, I'm too damn lazy to do
> it myself. Its a local treasure.

If I could get good coffee at a fair price, I would be inclined to
just buy it. I just bought a low end commercial vacuum sealer and
would think seriously about buying some from our ONE local roaster if
we could come to terms. He wants anywhere from $9 to $18 a pound ($18
for the strange stuff I don't drink) for roasted and will come down
for 5 lb. orders.

I pay anywhere from $3.75 to $5.00 for greens to the door, but you
have to factor in that you lose 30% of the weight by volume when you
roast as you chase out the moisture. So the numbers aren't as far
away as one might think. And if I could buy a five and then package
it in 1/2# reusable bags, that could be a good deal.

> Headin' over with my bottle of JWB! We'll share and compare, eh?

Anytime, buddy. Anytime. I bet we would have a blast.
Ever come down to burn meat in Texas? ;^)

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 14, 11:51*am, " >
wrote:
> On Mar 14, 11:12 am, Tutall > wrote:

> Looking forward to your posts, benefit of the doubt in hand! *And as
> for me... maybe just one less cup of java before responding...
>
> Well, maybe not. * *;^)
>
> Robert

I hadn't read this since last week, was a little ashamed for acting a
bit asshole-ish myself and well, wow, wasn't expecting that.

You're a good man Robert.

Interesting how many BBQ guys are coffee guys too. Or more to the
point I suppose is how many who do BBQ are also gourmands of one kind
or another, be it coffee, cuisine , or just scotch/tequila what have
ya.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Interesting how many BBQ guys are coffee guys too. Or more to the
> point I suppose is how many who do BBQ are also gourmands of one kind
> or another, be it coffee, cuisine , or just scotch/tequila what have
> ya.

Hops-based refreshments, preferably lots of hops. The common thing seems to
be strong flavors. I don't know what it means, but it's interesting.

When I get to KC in June I will be looking up the Rotisserie for some of
that fresh-roasted coffee. Oh, I mean Roasterie. I'll need it after the all
the Boulevard beer I'll be drinking at the Q restaurants. Dang, I like that
city.

-John O