Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Grilling in the Snow

I've got the grill fired up, as I type! Sure, there is still about 10"
of snow out there, but what the heck?! The meteorologist is predicting
a cold and snowy "spring" - so much for waiting for that ship- I don't
think it's ever going to sail! We had a high today of about 42F, and
it is currently 32, so I decided tonight would be grilled/roasted
garlic and onion, grilled mushrooms and, once again, chuck eye steaks!
The local Giant Eagle had a package of 4- 6+ oz chuck eyes for only
$7.00. They average $4.50 per pound, and are darn near as good as more
expensive cuts of steak!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 12, 8:27 pm, JimnGin > wrote:
> I've got the grill fired up, as I type! Sure, there is still about 10"
> of snow out there, but what the heck?! The meteorologist is predicting
> a cold and snowy "spring" - so much for waiting for that ship- I don't
> think it's ever going to sail! We had a high today of about 42F, and
> it is currently 32, so I decided tonight would be grilled/roasted
> garlic and onion, grilled mushrooms and, once again, chuck eye steaks!
> The local Giant Eagle had a package of 4- 6+ oz chuck eyes for only
> $7.00. They average $4.50 per pound, and are darn near as good as more
> expensive cuts of steak!

A man after my own heart. If I want to grill or barbecue, I really
don't pay much attention to the weather.

I may have a slight advantage in the weather department this week ,
though. Tomorrow, clear and sunny with a hight of 76. Friday - high
of 91. For the weekend, see Thursday's forecast.

Seriously, I have grilled when it is in the twenties and sleeting and
it tasted just as good as it does when it is in the 90s. Fire up that
grill and slap on those steaks!

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 13, 12:25 am, " >
wrote:
> On Mar 12, 8:27 pm, JimnGin > wrote:

> A man after my own heart. If I want to grill or barbecue, I really
> don't pay much attention to the weather.

It's not so much grilling in spite of the weather as much as it is
being sick and tired of the weather! If spring won't be here soon,
than the heck with it- I'll grill and smoke in spite of the weather.
However, having a covered porch with 3 walls really helps!

> I may have a slight advantage in the weather department this week ,
> though. Tomorrow, clear and sunny with a hight of 76. Friday - high
> of 91. For the weekend, see Thursday's forecast.

Dang- where are you?!

> Seriously, I have grilled when it is in the twenties and sleeting and
> it tasted just as good as it does when it is in the 90s. Fire up that
> grill and slap on those steaks!

Actually, it probably tastes even better under those conditions,
doesn't it?

> Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 12, 11:23 pm, JimnGin > wrote:

> Dang- where are you?!

Pretty far down into south Texas, in San Antonio. To be fair, our
norms are usually early to mid 70s this time of year, so the 91 degree
is a flyer. But we had some 85 degree days last month! That was good
for a monster butt on the WSM!

Strangely, in the last week of February in 2007, we had 14" icicles
hanging off our roof eaves. It is never the same around here.

> > Seriously, I have grilled when it is in the twenties and sleeting and
> > it tasted just as good as it does when it is in the 90s. Fire up that
> > grill and slap on those steaks!

> Actually, it probably tastes even better under those conditions,
> doesn't it?

Absolutely. There is a kind of "man against the elements" thing I
enjoy when I do it. Improves the taste a good 25% since no one
expects anyone to cook outside in that kind of weather, so the
surprise factor works in your favor.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JimnGin" > wrote in message
> I've got the grill fired up, as I type! Sure, there is still about 10"
> of snow out there, but what the heck?!

Iffen we didn't cook ot when there is snow on the ground be missing about 5
months or so cooking plus there are a couple of good contests in the winter
too

That said gonna take a quick trip to Misssissippi next weekend for some
r&r---and escape the snow for a couple days
buzz