Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Making pulled pork in a 22 inch Weber kettle charcoal grill.

Hello everybody,
I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much more
charcoal grill's.

I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork but
these are mostly all done on a smoker.

Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do this
not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?

Thanks,
Frank

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Frank wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much more
> charcoal grill's.
>
> I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork but
> these are mostly all done on a smoker.
>
> Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do this
> not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Look in the BBQ FAQ at the info on the "bullet" type smokers, they are
similar though a bit taller, so you can adapt their techniques. A kettle
grill with the big dome lid can work if you put something like a foil
wrapped tray of sand between the heat source and the meat. Use foil
wrapped packets of wood chips with a few holes poked in them, or one of
the cast metal wood chip smoker boxes on the coals for the heat.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pete C." > schreef in bericht
> Frank wrote:
> >
> > Hello everybody,
> > I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much more
> > charcoal grill's.
> >
> > I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork

but
> > these are mostly all done on a smoker.
> >
> > Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do

this
> > not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Frank

> Look in the BBQ FAQ at the info on the "bullet" type smokers, they are
> similar though a bit taller, so you can adapt their techniques. A kettle
> grill with the big dome lid can work if you put something like a foil
> wrapped tray of sand between the heat source and the meat. Use foil
> wrapped packets of wood chips with a few holes poked in them, or one of
> the cast metal wood chip smoker boxes on the coals for the heat.

I've tried that a couple of times while trying to make jerky. The biggest
problem though is the heat. A kettle comes to a much higher heat then what I
read in the "how to's", even if I cover the brikkettes with a pan of (wet)
sand.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pete C." > wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> >
> > Hello everybody,
> > I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much
> > more charcoal grill's.
> >
> > I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork
> > but these are mostly all done on a smoker.
> >
> > Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do
> > this not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Frank

> Look in the BBQ FAQ at the info on the "bullet" type smokers, they are
> similar though a bit taller, so you can adapt their techniques. A kettle
> grill with the big dome lid can work if you put something like a foil
> wrapped tray of sand between the heat source and the meat. Use foil
> wrapped packets of wood chips with a few holes poked in them, or one of
> the cast metal wood chip smoker boxes on the coals for the heat.

Hi Frank,

Welcome to another Dutchie! You'll discover how many there are. ;-)

You'll find the BBQ FAQ at http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 11, 2:41*pm, "Frank" > wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much more
> charcoal grill's.
>
> I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork but
> these are mostly all done on a smoker.
>
> Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do this
> not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

There's another Dutch guy who used to post here and AFB on occasion,
he ended up making his own cooker, did a real nice job too. I forget
his name. You might want to make a new post in Dutch saying you're
looking for fellow countrymen who like BBQ? I imagine he's found some
sources for fuel and meats and whatnot he'd share with you.

I can't remember his name. You might have luck google searching this
group?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 11, 2:41*pm, "Frank" > wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much more
> charcoal grill's.
>
> I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork but
> these are mostly all done on a smoker.
>
> Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do this
> not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Frank,

It is really quite easy to do a great pulled pork or anything BBQ (low
and slow) on a Weber Kettle grill. I actually started BBQ'ing on a
Weber back in 1993.

In order to convert the Weber into a great smoker you put a small pile
(2 or 3 handfulls worth) of hot coals on one side of the kettle i.e.
the handle side. Fill an approx. 9x13" aluminum pan about half full
with water and slide it up next to the coals. Put the top rack back on
and then you can follow any recipe you would like for the pulled pork
by placing the pork on the oppisite side away fron the coals. But
don't just limit yourself to the pulled pork it will also make great
chicken, beef brisket and much more.

One other tip is to put a metal candy thermomiter in the top holes of
the lid and try to keep the temp around 200-225 degrees F. You will
need to add charcoal (I prefer lump charcoal) every once and a while
to keep the temp in the right range. You may also need to replenish
the water in the pan every once and a while. Enjoy!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Frank wrote:

> "Pete C." > schreef in bericht
> > Frank wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello everybody,
> > > I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much more
> > > charcoal grill's.
> > >
> > > I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled pork

> but
> > > these are mostly all done on a smoker.
> > >
> > > Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do

> this
> > > not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Frank

> > Look in the BBQ FAQ at the info on the "bullet" type smokers, they are
> > similar though a bit taller, so you can adapt their techniques. A kettle
> > grill with the big dome lid can work if you put something like a foil
> > wrapped tray of sand between the heat source and the meat. Use foil
> > wrapped packets of wood chips with a few holes poked in them, or one of
> > the cast metal wood chip smoker boxes on the coals for the heat.

> I've tried that a couple of times while trying to make jerky. The biggest
> problem though is the heat. A kettle comes to a much higher heat then what I
> read in the "how to's", even if I cover the brikkettes with a pan of (wet)
> sand.

The pan of sand isn't really for temp control, it's to block the direct
radiant heat from getting to the meat. What you need to do is manage the
fire so it runs at a low temp. You might have some success setting up a
big spiral of unlit charcoal and adding a few lit ones to the end so it
gradually burns it's way around without too much burning at any one
time.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Frank wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I live in the Netherlands where there are fewer smokers but so much
> more charcoal grill's.
>
> I'm looking on many US sites and see all these recepies for pulled
> pork but these are mostly all done on a smoker.
>
> Is there someone out there with good idea's or suggestions how to do
> this not on a smoker but on a 22inch Weber kettle charcoal grill?

I used kettles for my Q purposes for a few years before getting a WSM.
I still use the 22" one for small jobs and for smoke-roast situations.

As others have said, indirect is the way you want to go. If you can
find the charcoal baskets that fit the 22" kettle, that's helpful. I
don't know if those are available in your area. If you are using lump
charcoal and baskets, orient the baskets so that they are 90degrees to
the bottom grate, as this keeps small pieces from falling through. I
also got some aluminum pans from Weber too, that exactly fit with the
baskets.

Just like with the WSM, the bottom vents are how you control the
temperature. I've found that the Minion Method works, and is quite
useful. One of the problems with the kettle is that adding charcoal is
a problem unless you have the fancier grill with the flip-up edges (I
don't). Even so, lifting the dome for any reason loses all your heat
and smoke. The Minion Method will give a more controlled fire, with
less need to go access.

You can sometimes add small pieces of smokewood if you position the
handles over the charcoal piles. This has the downside of making the
grill handles really hot, so make sure you have good protection if you
do have to lift the grill out of the way. With ribs you can usually get
by without having to do a major refuel, not with butt though.

When smoke-roasting (like the boneless pork loin I did last weekend) I
run with the bottom vents wide open. That's a pretty hot fire. I don't
recall for sure, but for butt I'd say no more than 1/4 - 1/2 open. Top
vent is alway open, of course.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote in message

> > also got some aluminum pans from Weber too, that exactly fit with
> > the baskets.

> Now that's got to be some high dollar foil.

I don't think so. Like 3-4 bucks for a pack of 10.

> Just double or triple up
> some heavy duty foil off a roll, and just fabricate your own to fit,
> and just poke some holes in them for air flow. They'll probably last
> as long as the fancy Weber foil pans.

Don't seem like a worthwhile effort to me.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote

> > > Now that's got to be some high dollar foil.

> > I don't think so. Like 3-4 bucks for a pack of 10.
> >
> > > Just double or triple up
> > > some heavy duty foil off a roll, and just fabricate your own to
> > > fit, and just poke some holes in them for air flow. They'll
> > > probably last as long as the fancy Weber foil pans.

> > Don't seem like a worthwhile effort to me.
> >

> That's the difference between us I guess, I will gladly fold up a
> quarter's worth of foil to save a few bucks. But that actually sounds
> cheap for a Weber accessory.

The pans only cost 3o cents. The one in there now has been in use for
over a year. I doubt there's any savings of money, and considerable
savings of time.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> "Default User" > wrote
>
> > The pans only cost 3o cents. The one in there now has been in use
> > for over a year. I doubt there's any savings of money, and
> > considerable savings of time.
> >

> One.... prolly not even talking about the same thing. I though you
> were talking about foil basket inserts for the doodads that hold the
> coals back on either side for indirect cooking. Anyway I don't use
> the doodads either. I just make a couple piles and stick a couple
> foil shields in there to block radiant heat.

To make sure we're on the same page:

<http://www.amazon.com/Weber-3300-Small-Aluminum-Drip/dp/B00004RAM9>

The actual charcoal holders are these:

<http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41dqvFnWGZL._SS500_.jpg>