Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Indirect bbq-ing

G'day folks,

Firstly, yes I'm a newby here and am hoping for some friendly advice in here
from the experts.

Over here in Australia, the original weber charcoal grill has been a legend
since the early 70's but I kinda got into them about 10 years ago on and off
because we Aussies are generally an impatient lot when it comes to cooking
on the bbq (usually a gas grill and / or a hotplate) and usually if it's not
done within 55 seconds (usually timed x 2 beers), it'll interupt valuable
drinking, farting & bullshitting time, however in that same time the snags
(sausages) gotta be burnt to a cinder LOL. Just kidding!!
All meat must be cremated to avoid unneccesary Moo-ing before the big bite
!!

ok enough of the BS hehehe

I do however have a question in regards to Indirect cooking methods on the
Weber charcoal grill. I have the 22 inch standard kettle but am upgrading
soon to the performer.

In the weber books it is always demonstrated that their version of indirect
heat is to have the charcoal over to both sides and having the meat over a
drip-pan which is placed between the coals in the middle where as, many of
the BBQ Videos and demos I've seen from the USA have all their coals on one
side and have their meat on the other side. I would guess that the single
side method would have the meat cooking much slower and longer than the 2
side method. Would this be right?

Would it still be even cooking if the meat is on the opposite side to the
coals?
And if there any advantages or disadvantages either way? 2 side or single
side..which is best?

Thanks in advance for any answers and advice.

Cheers

DJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:54:22 +1100, DJ wrote:

> Would it still be even cooking if the meat is on the opposite side to the
> coals?
> And if there any advantages or disadvantages either way? 2 side or single
> side..which is best?
>
> Thanks in advance for any answers and advice.

The two side method is best in pretty much every circumstance.
Having the energy (heat) on both sides creates a better
convection current and provides for more even cooking.

With the coals on one side, the meat will require much more
babysitting - turning to expose the coolest side to the heat more
often - which requires that you open the lid more often and
ca7uses temperature fluctuations (loss of heat followed by big
heat spikes as the coals get stoked with fresh air). And you'd
have to set your beer down more often.

And don't forget your vents. Vents should only need to be open a
tiny bit.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DJ wrote:
> G'day folks,
>
> Firstly, yes I'm a newby here and am hoping for some friendly advice
> in here from the experts.

Welcome/

> Over here in Australia, the original weber charcoal grill has been a
> legend since the early 70's but I kinda got into them about 10 years
> ago on and off because we Aussies are generally an impatient lot when
> it comes to cooking on the bbq

You don't cook on a bbq, bbq is what you eat. You can cook on a grill, or in
a pit, or smoker, over a campfire, etc.... but bbq isn't a piece of
equipment

> (usually a gas grill and / or a
> hotplate) and usually if it's not done within 55 seconds (usually
> timed x 2 beers), it'll interupt valuable drinking, farting &
> bullshitting time, however in that same time the snags (sausages)
> gotta be burnt to a cinder LOL. Just kidding!! All meat must be cremated
> to avoid unneccesary Moo-ing before the big
> bite !!
>
> ok enough of the BS hehehe
>
> I do however have a question in regards to Indirect cooking methods
> on the Weber charcoal grill. I have the 22 inch standard kettle but
> am upgrading soon to the performer.

It's a good grill, but performance wise it's not much different from your
kettle.

> In the weber books it is always demonstrated that their version of
> indirect heat is to have the charcoal over to both sides and having
> the meat over a drip-pan which is placed between the coals in the
> middle where as, many of the BBQ Videos and demos I've seen from the
> USA have all their coals on one side and have their meat on the other
> side. I would guess that the single side method would have the meat
> cooking much slower and longer than the 2 side method. Would this be
> right?

Not necessarily; but generally the more fuel you have the higher the
potential heat level.

> Would it still be even cooking if the meat is on the opposite side to
> the coals?

It can be.

> And if there any advantages or disadvantages either way? 2 side or
> single side..which is best?

I like two sided for pieces that can easily fit between the two piles of
charcoal.

If you ever decide you want to get into bbq check out this faq:
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
newsP7xj.3371$my3.2262@trndny06...
> DJ wrote:
>> G'day folks,
>>
>> Firstly, yes I'm a newby here and am hoping for some friendly advice
>> in here from the experts.

> Welcome/
>
>> Over here in Australia, the original weber charcoal grill has been a
>> legend since the early 70's but I kinda got into them about 10 years
>> ago on and off because we Aussies are generally an impatient lot when
>> it comes to cooking on the bbq

> You don't cook on a bbq, bbq is what you eat. You can cook on a grill, or
> in a pit, or smoker, over a campfire, etc.... but bbq isn't a piece of
> equipment

Ahh Dave, In Australia we actually do call the equipment 'bbqs', there are
charcoal bbqs, gas bbqs then you have the smokers, hibachis and so
on.....that's how that silly Paul Hogan tourist add used to say "and we'll
put another shrimp on the barbie for ya" we call shrimp= prawns in
Oz.Barbie is Oz for BBQ
As for the food, well we just call it bbq lamb,bbq pork, bbq ribs only
because of the equipment we cook it on. Even Barbecues Galore calls them
BBQs he
http://www.bbqgalore.com.au/products/search.aspx

>> (usually a gas grill and / or a
>> hotplate) and usually if it's not done within 55 seconds (usually
>> timed x 2 beers), it'll interupt valuable drinking, farting &
>> bullshitting time, however in that same time the snags (sausages)
>> gotta be burnt to a cinder LOL. Just kidding!! All meat must be cremated
>> to avoid unneccesary Moo-ing before the big
>> bite !!
>>
>> ok enough of the BS hehehe
>>
>> I do however have a question in regards to Indirect cooking methods
>> on the Weber charcoal grill. I have the 22 inch standard kettle but
>> am upgrading soon to the performer.

> It's a good grill, but performance wise it's not much different from your
> kettle.

Yeah I know that it's basically the same but it has this great little
prep/serving table built in to it and that is gold to me......mmm food has a
tendency to fall off the plate if I'm just holding it and available tables
are taken up by other stuff.

>> In the weber books it is always demonstrated that their version of
>> indirect heat is to have the charcoal over to both sides and having
>> the meat over a drip-pan which is placed between the coals in the
>> middle where as, many of the BBQ Videos and demos I've seen from the
>> USA have all their coals on one side and have their meat on the other
>> side. I would guess that the single side method would have the meat
>> cooking much slower and longer than the 2 side method. Would this be
>> right?

> Not necessarily; but generally the more fuel you have the higher the
> potential heat level.
>
>> Would it still be even cooking if the meat is on the opposite side to
>> the coals?

> It can be.
>
>> And if there any advantages or disadvantages either way? 2 side or
>> single side..which is best?

> I like two sided for pieces that can easily fit between the two piles of
> charcoal.
>
> If you ever decide you want to get into bbq check out this faq:
> http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/toc.html
>
> --
> Dave
> www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 27, 12:16*am, "DJ" > wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> Ahh Dave, In Australia we actually do call the equipment 'bbqs', there are
> charcoal bbqs, gas bbqs then you have the smokers, hibachis and so

Good on you mate. But now ya know bettah! So when you make something
good out of this, you can act posh and correct your mates as to
terminology. You know ya want to.

I don't know the link, but I hear really nice things about a Weber
forum where it's all Weber all the time and I'm certain this has been
discussed to death there.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article > , mrjay1
@bigpond.net.au says...

> Ahh Dave, In Australia we actually do call the equipment 'bbqs', there are
> charcoal bbqs, gas bbqs then you have the smokers, hibachis and so
> on.....

That's the way the language tends to work in Canada, too. Since I've
been lurking here and figured out what bbq is I've been attempting to
use the terminology correctly. My friends think I'm crazy ;-)

But really, every backyard 'bbq' that I've been to here doesn't have any
bbq. Maybe some nicely grilled steaks & burgers & whatever, but not any
bbq to be had (except when I'm hosting!)

Of course, now that my friends have all tried my bbq, they're happy to
let me call it whatever I want! It's a lonely but satisfying feeling to
be the local bbq evangelist :-)

--
Bill
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Feb-2008, Tutall > wrote:

> On Feb 27, 12:16*am, "DJ" > wrote:
> > "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

> > Ahh Dave, In Australia we actually do call the equipment 'bbqs', there
> > are
> > charcoal bbqs, gas bbqs then you have the smokers, hibachis and so

> Good on you mate. But now ya know bettah! So when you make something
> good out of this, you can act posh and correct your mates as to
> terminology. You know ya want to.
>
> I don't know the link, but I hear really nice things about a Weber
> forum where it's all Weber all the time and I'm certain this has been
> discussed to death there.

You're probably thinking about this one Tutall;

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DJ wrote:

> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

>> You don't cook on a bbq, bbq is what you eat. You can cook on a
>> grill, or in a pit, or smoker, over a campfire, etc.... but bbq
>> isn't a piece of equipment

> Ahh Dave, In Australia we actually do call the equipment 'bbqs',

No worries, mate. I'm glad I could be of help in correcting the terminology
error.

> there are charcoal bbqs, gas bbqs then you have the smokers, hibachis
> and so on....

We have grills, too. Grills which also use a variety of fuels, including
wood. But our bbq is either pork or beef. We don't eat charcoal or gas. We
also smoke-roast a variety of foods including chicken and turkey.

> that's how that silly Paul Hogan tourist add used to say "and we'll put
> another shrimp on the barbie for ya"

I think Hulk Hogan might grill some shrimp. I have no idea who Paul Hogan
is.

> we call shrimp= prawns in Oz.Barbie is Oz for BBQ.

I've never put shrimp on a pulled-pork sandwich. But then, I tend not to
like putting seafood on my bbq; I don't like mixing the flavors.

> As for the food, well we just call it bbq lamb,bbq pork, bbq ribs only
> because of the equipment we cook it on.

Well, like I said, I'm happy I could be of help correcting the mistake.

> Even Barbecues Galore calls
> them BBQs he
> http://www.bbqgalore.com.au/products/search.aspx

It's funny the way corporations and people tend to ignore the meaning of
things, isn't it. I mean, I never would have called the computer input
device a 'mouse'.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:54:22 +1100, DJ wrote:
>
> > Would it still be even cooking if the meat is on the opposite side
> > to the coals?
> > And if there any advantages or disadvantages either way? 2 side or
> > single side..which is best?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any answers and advice.

> The two side method is best in pretty much every circumstance.
> Having the energy (heat) on both sides creates a better
> convection current and provides for more even cooking.

I used to do the one-side method. Then I got the Weber charcoal holders
and aluminum pans that fit the 22" grill. That works great, except that
the cooking surface is somewhat limited. For one rack of ribs or a
chicken or two, it's great and easier than firing up the WSM for a
small amount.

This weekend sounds good for a boneless pork loin roast.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article <Eqjxj.13333$o23.3601@trndny09>, says...

> I think Hulk Hogan might grill some shrimp. I have no idea who Paul Hogan
> is.

He's Crocodile Dundee Mate!

--
Bill

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bill Riel wrote:
> In article <Eqjxj.13333$o23.3601@trndny09>,
> says...
>
>> I think Hulk Hogan might grill some shrimp. I have no idea who Paul
>> Hogan is.

> He's Crocodile Dundee Mate!

Who? Never heard of it.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:
> DJ wrote:
>
>> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message

>>> You don't cook on a bbq, bbq is what you eat. You can cook on a
>>> grill, or in a pit, or smoker, over a campfire, etc.... but bbq
>>> isn't a piece of equipment

>> Ahh Dave, In Australia we actually do call the equipment 'bbqs',

> No worries, mate. I'm glad I could be of help in correcting the terminology
> error.
>
>> there are charcoal bbqs, gas bbqs then you have the smokers, hibachis
>> and so on....

> We have grills, too. Grills which also use a variety of fuels, including
> wood. But our bbq is either pork or beef. We don't eat charcoal or gas. We
> also smoke-roast a variety of foods including chicken and turkey.
>
>> that's how that silly Paul Hogan tourist add used to say "and we'll put
>> another shrimp on the barbie for ya"

> I think Hulk Hogan might grill some shrimp. I have no idea who Paul Hogan
> is.
>
>> we call shrimp= prawns in Oz.Barbie is Oz for BBQ.

> I've never put shrimp on a pulled-pork sandwich. But then, I tend not to
> like putting seafood on my bbq; I don't like mixing the flavors.
>
>> As for the food, well we just call it bbq lamb,bbq pork, bbq ribs only
>> because of the equipment we cook it on.

> Well, like I said, I'm happy I could be of help correcting the mistake.
>
>> Even Barbecues Galore calls
>> them BBQs he
>> http://www.bbqgalore.com.au/products/search.aspx

> It's funny the way corporations and people tend to ignore the meaning of
> things, isn't it. I mean, I never would have called the computer input
> device a 'mouse'.

We probably should check out this site before trying to palaver with our
Aussie friends. http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt

JD

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JD wrote:

> We probably should check out this site before trying to palaver with our
> Aussie friends. http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt
>
> JD

I work for an Aussie company, and with a number of them. They talk
funny, but they doooo know how to have fun!
--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave T. wrote:
> JD wrote:
>

>> We probably should check out this site before trying to palaver with
>> our Aussie friends. http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt
>>
>> JD
>>>

> I work for an Aussie company, and with a number of them. They talk
> funny, but they doooo know how to have fun!

Amen! I was a dealer for a 24" catamaran that some Aussies brought to
Florida and were building there. I had a great time with them.

JD

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JD > wrote:
> Dave T. wrote:
> > JD wrote:
> >
> >> We probably should check out this site before trying to palaver with
> >> our Aussie friends. http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt

> > I work for an Aussie company, and with a number of them. They talk
> > funny, but they doooo know how to have fun!

> Amen! I was a dealer for a 24" catamaran that some Aussies brought to
> Florida and were building there. I had a great time with them.

A 24" catamaran?

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:
> JD > wrote:
>> Dave T. wrote:

>>> I work for an Aussie company, and with a number of them. They talk
>>> funny, but they doooo know how to have fun!

>> Amen! I was a dealer for a 24" catamaran that some Aussies brought to
>> Florida and were building there. I had a great time with them.

> A 24" catamaran?

Yep! A blast they were too. Here's a link to some pics;

http://www.themultihull.com/seawind/index.htm

JD
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JD" > wrote in message
. ..

> Dave Bugg wrote:
>> DJ wrote:

>>> Ahh Dave, In Australia we actually do call the equipment 'bbqs',

>> No worries, mate. I'm glad I could be of help in correcting the
>> terminology error.
>>
>>> there are charcoal bbqs, gas bbqs then you have the smokers, hibachis
>>> and so on....

>> We have grills, too. Grills which also use a variety of fuels, including
>> wood. But our bbq is either pork or beef. We don't eat charcoal or gas.
>> We also smoke-roast a variety of foods including chicken and turkey.
>>
>>> that's how that silly Paul Hogan tourist add used to say "and we'll put
>>> another shrimp on the barbie for ya"

>> I think Hulk Hogan might grill some shrimp. I have no idea who Paul Hogan
>> is.
>>
>>> we call shrimp= prawns in Oz.Barbie is Oz for BBQ.

>> I've never put shrimp on a pulled-pork sandwich. But then, I tend not to
>> like putting seafood on my bbq; I don't like mixing the flavors.
>>
>>> As for the food, well we just call it bbq lamb,bbq pork, bbq ribs only
>>> because of the equipment we cook it on.

>> Well, like I said, I'm happy I could be of help correcting the mistake.
>>
>>> Even Barbecues Galore calls
>>> them BBQs he
>>> http://www.bbqgalore.com.au/products/search.aspx

>> It's funny the way corporations and people tend to ignore the meaning of
>> things, isn't it. I mean, I never would have called the computer input
>> device a 'mouse'.

> We probably should check out this site before trying to palaver with our
> Aussie friends. http://www.textfiles.com/humor/strine.txt
>
> JD

Hey JD, i had a read of the Strine link and WTF!! I don't know anyone who
talks like that and my accent is pretty broad Australian.....but then i had
another look at the name of the Author.....jeez...with a name like Afferbeck
Lauder.....yeah I wonder what accent he /she's got.....probably some Jordy
with his/her face kicked in.

And Dave....I appreciate you setting me straight on the bbq lingo mate, It's
a bit too early for me to look like a goose in a new group than for everyone
to find out that I actually am...haha.... i checked out you site...pretty
good.

Meat is very premium priced here in Australia at present due to the 7 year
drought that we've just been through and the lack of comptetition between
major retailers makes the big guys dictate to the farmers how much they must
sell it for.

Some cuts of meat are around $20-25 per kilo = 2.2lbs and some of the choice
cuts are heading up to the $30 a kilo.

Hopefully it'll come down a bit soon as it gets a bit expensive to entertain
friends with good food.

Thanx everyone for all your welcomes and answers to my questions....I'm sure
there'll be plenty more questions where the last one came from.

Cheers

DJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JD" > wrote in message
. ..

> Nick Cramer wrote:
>> JD > wrote:

>>> Amen! I was a dealer for a 24" catamaran that some Aussies brought to
>>> Florida and were building there. I had a great time with them.

>> A 24" catamaran?
>>

> Yep! A blast they were too. Here's a link to some pics;
>
> http://www.themultihull.com/seawind/index.htm
>
> JD

They look more than 2 feet

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "JD" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> Nick Cramer wrote:

>>> A 24" catamaran?
>>>

>> Yep! A blast they were too. Here's a link to some pics;
>>
>> http://www.themultihull.com/seawind/index.htm
>>
>> JD

> They look more than 2 feet

Oops! 24FEET

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 27, 9:32 pm, "DJ" > wrote:

> Meat is very premium priced here in Australia at present due to the 7 year
> drought that we've just been through and the lack of comptetition between
> major retailers makes the big guys dictate to the farmers how much they must
> sell it for.
>
> Some cuts of meat are around $20-25 per kilo = 2.2lbs and some of the choice
> cuts are heading up to the $30 a kilo.
>
> Hopefully it'll come down a bit soon as it gets a bit expensive to entertain
> friends with good food.
>
> Thanx everyone for all your welcomes and answers to my questions....I'm sure
> there'll be plenty more questions where the last one came from.
>
> Cheers
>
> DJ

DJ,

One of the benefits of BBQ (the process) is that it can turn the least
desirable cuts of meat (brisket, shoulder, etc) into tender, tasty
food that'll definitely keep the guests satisfied!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

DJ wrote:

> Thanx everyone for all your welcomes and answers to my
> questions....I'm sure there'll be plenty more questions where the
> last one came from.

Anytime :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "JD" > wrote in message
> > Nick Cramer wrote:

> >> A 24" catamaran?
> >>

> > Yep! A blast they were too. Here's a link to some pics;
> >
> > http://www.themultihull.com/seawind/index.htm
> >

> They look more than 2 feet

Ahaa!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Feb-2008, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> JD > wrote:
> > Dave T. wrote:

> > > I work for an Aussie company, and with a number of them. They talk
> > > funny, but they doooo know how to have fun!

> > Amen! I was a dealer for a 24" catamaran that some Aussies brought to
> > Florida and were building there. I had a great time with them.

> A 24" catamaran?
>
> --
> Nick.

Probably a pretty decent fit for Barbie and Ken. <g>

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 05:46:18 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:

>>> A 24" catamaran?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nick.

>> Probably a pretty decent fit for Barbie and Ken. <g>

> Only if you throw another shrimp on the Barbie.

Are you calling Ken a shrimp?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote
> .
>>> Only if you throw another shrimp on the Barbie.

>> Are you calling Ken a shrimp?
>>

> No way! He's more the size of a prawn, ain't he?
>
> Reminds me of some of the prawns (they marketed them as giant tiger shrimp)
> they had at my Price Chopper over Valentine's Day week, the counterman said
> they topped 2 oz! They wanted five bucks each... after VD they went down to
> $15 lb for the leftovers. Might be fun to see one of those live eating a Ken
> doll......
>
> MartyB in KC

Wow, we shop at Albertson's here in Las Vegas. They frequently sell 10
count shrimp for $9.99/# and the similar sized sea scallops for $7.99/#.
A few years back, they had a rotating "seafood festival" at their
various stores across the valley. There, they'd set up a seafood stand
by the front and the huge shrimp would be $6.99/#.

When not on sale, the same shrimp run about $16/#, for instance. All of
their seafood is flash frozen in 2 or 3# bags, so I get several when on
sale and just toss them into the freezer here at home. We also get the
vac packed frozen ahi tuna, and find it satisfactory as well.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> "Nonnymus" > wrote
>> Wow, we shop at Albertson's here in Las Vegas. They frequently sell 10
>> count shrimp for $9.99/# and the similar sized sea scallops for $7.99/#.
>> A few years back, they had a rotating "seafood festival" at their
>> various stores across the valley. There, they'd set up a seafood stand
>> by the front and the huge shrimp would be $6.99/#.
>>
>> When not on sale, the same shrimp run about $16/#, for instance. All of
>> their seafood is flash frozen in 2 or 3# bags, so I get several when on
>> sale and just toss them into the freezer here at home. We also get the
>> vac packed frozen ahi tuna, and find it satisfactory as well.

> Awesome.. what variety of shrimp?
>
> MBKC

Pink, as I recall. We occasionally get Tiger as well.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a