Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Que in KC

Howdy, friends,
I'm a truck driver, and a dedicated BBQ fiend. I'm truckin' out to Kansas
City, MO tomorrow, and am wondering if anybody in here knows of a good rib
joint in KC that I can get to (or near to) in my truck. I've had pretty
good luck with this in Texas, because there are some great places right by
the interstates, many with truck parking. I've always heard about the
excellent que in KC, and I've been there many times, but never even gotten
a whiff of that famous Kansas City que.
It would have to be near a truckstop, or maybe a large shopping mall, so's
I can park the rig and walk over to it. Unfortunately, I won't have the
time to park on the outskirts and take a cab into the city, so any
suggestions y'all might have would be most appreciated.

--
In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been
times like these.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

LordTracy > wrote:
> Howdy, friends,
> I'm a truck driver, and a dedicated BBQ fiend. I'm truckin' out to Kansas
> City, MO tomorrow, and am wondering if anybody in here knows of a good
> rib joint in KC that I can get to (or near to) in my truck. I've had
> pretty good luck with this in Texas, because there are some great places
> right by the interstates, many with truck parking. I've always heard
> about the excellent que in KC, and I've been there many times, but never
> even gotten a whiff of that famous Kansas City que.
> It would have to be near a truckstop, or maybe a large shopping mall,
> so's I can park the rig and walk over to it. Unfortunately, I won't have
> the time to park on the outskirts and take a cab into the city, so any
> suggestions y'all might have would be most appreciated.

Can't help ya, LT, but welcome aboard and good luck findin' some good KC Q!

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"LordTracy" > wrote in message
> Howdy, friends,
> I'm a truck driver, and a dedicated BBQ fiend. I'm truckin' out to Kansas
> City, MO tomorrow, and am wondering if anybody in here knows of a good rib
> joint in KC that I can get to (or near to) in my truck. I've had pretty
> good luck with this in Texas, because there are some great places right by
> the interstates, many with truck parking. I've always heard about the
> excellent que in KC, and I've been there many times, but never even gotten
> a whiff of that famous Kansas City que.
> It would have to be near a truckstop, or maybe a large shopping mall, so's
> I can park the rig and walk over to it. Unfortunately, I won't have the
> time to park on the outskirts and take a cab into the city, so any
> suggestions y'all might have would be most appreciated.

Smokin' Guns BBQ.

Great people.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

LC's.

5800 Blue Pkwy.; 816-923-4484

good que and they gave me a hickory log for smoking food at home.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

BB's Lawnside has a big old gravel parking lot, but there's construction in
the area. And, apparently they've hired someone to make a nasty website:
http://www.bbslawnsidebbq.com/

Good food, and some good music too.

"LordTracy" > wrote in message
> Howdy, friends,
> I'm a truck driver, and a dedicated BBQ fiend. I'm truckin' out to Kansas
> City, MO tomorrow, and am wondering if anybody in here knows of a good rib
> joint in KC that I can get to (or near to) in my truck. I've had pretty
> good luck with this in Texas, because there are some great places right by
> the interstates, many with truck parking. I've always heard about the
> excellent que in KC, and I've been there many times, but never even gotten
> a whiff of that famous Kansas City que.
> It would have to be near a truckstop, or maybe a large shopping mall, so's
> I can park the rig and walk over to it. Unfortunately, I won't have the
> time to park on the outskirts and take a cab into the city, so any
> suggestions y'all might have would be most appreciated.
>

> --
> In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been
> times like these.
> -- Paul Harvey

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hey, thanks for the comeback, not too late, 'cuz I'm headed out there again
today. Will check out the places except for Famous Dave's, they have one of
those down the road from where I live. It's OK in a pinch, but nothin' like
the real thing.

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." - Arthur Carlson

On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:09:40 -0600, "Nunya Bidnits"
> wrote:

>"Alto" > wrote in message
.. .

>> "LordTracy" > wrote in message
>> > Howdy, friends,
>> > I'm a truck driver, and a dedicated BBQ fiend. I'm truckin' out to

>Kansas
>> > City, MO tomorrow, and am wondering if anybody in here knows of a good

>rib
>> > joint in KC that I can get to (or near to) in my truck. I've had pretty
>> > good luck with this in Texas, because there are some great places right

>by
>> > the interstates, many with truck parking. I've always heard about the
>> > excellent que in KC, and I've been there many times, but never even

>gotten
>> > a whiff of that famous Kansas City que.

>> I've parked my 65' truck up the street from Arthur Bryant's Brooklyn Ave
>> location.
>> It was less then a block from the front door.
>>
>> Great brisket sandwich!
>>
>> Andrew

>Ditto, its not that far from I-70 and there is a big lot on the east end of
>the building where you might be able to park. FYI, I refer to Bryant's as
>"The Shrine".
>
>You could also google Gates and Sons Barbecue. They have several locations.
>There are a couple of those near highways, including on the south side I435
>at State Line just south of 103rd. Just east of State Line on 103rd are a
>number of businesses with big parking lots so you might do OK around there
>too. There's a Famous Dave's near the NASCAR track but its not KC barbecue,
>its a chain poaching on the tourist traffic around the track, but there
>would surely be space around there for your rig. Some people around here say
>they like it.
>
>Smokin Guns and LCs are both very good too.
>
>Hope this isn't getting to you too late.
>
>MartyB in KC

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> Good food, and some good music too.
>>

> Yeah but you can barely get near it with a car, much less a big rig.
> That's
> the same idiotic fubar construction project that destroyed Stroud's, on of
> the greatest restaurants in KC history. I am amazed that BB's survived,
> and
> BB's wouldn't even exist if it hadn't built its initial clientele years
> ago
> off the overflow from Stroud's. Their beef isn't bad but the pork is just
> fair and their ribs tend to be undercooked and the sauce is just mediocre.
> The live blues is what I think keeps them in business. Now they have to
> survive this "improvement" project without going out of business now that
> the city has managed to all but bury it in their big nasty mess. What
> chaps
> my ass is that when improvements are deemed inevitable around such
> venerable
> sites as Stroud's in other cities, they find a way to preserve, enshrine
> and
> emphasize those sites as part of the improvements or redevelopment. Around
> here, they push the whole f*uckin thing into a ditch. We have some real
> morons making decisions in this city. Happily, a new Stroud's South will
> open soon. Its going to be in Fairway. Which is Kansas. Which means the
> KCMO
> brain surgeons have screwed the city out of all the tax revenue from one
> of
> the most successful restaurants in KC history, and allowed yet another
> beloved institution to take flight to the Kansas side, into the
> semi-burbs,
> where at the very least its no longer part of KC. Way to go.
>
> MartyB in KC

Let me know where they build that Stroud's, Marty. I'll be back to KC at the
end of June, just like every year.

-John O