Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default another pulled pork experience

Gosh, I guess that even in my geezerdom, I can still learn many things.
Today, our friend kicked me out of my own kitchen to do a little
cooking herself. She tossed a rack of St. Louis cut ribs, 2# of frozen
kraut, a few pounds of peeled reds and some seasoning of her own blend
into the pot. It simmered all day and the smell brought in even
neighbors from across the street. Tonight, the bones were removed, the
meat pulled and it was served in a bowl. The result was beyond reason,
and yet another good use of some ingredients I love in other
incarnations; She said it was an old family recipe.

What a good life!
.. .
--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 17-Feb-2008, Nonnymus > wrote:

> Gosh, I guess that even in my geezerdom, I can still learn many things.
> Today, our friend kicked me out of my own kitchen to do a little
> cooking herself. She tossed a rack of St. Louis cut ribs, 2# of frozen
> kraut, a few pounds of peeled reds and some seasoning of her own blend
> into the pot. It simmered all day and the smell brought in even
> neighbors from across the street. Tonight, the bones were removed, the
> meat pulled and it was served in a bowl. The result was beyond reason,
> and yet another good use of some ingredients I love in other
> incarnations; She said it was an old family recipe.
>
> What a good life!
> . .
> --
> Nonny

You're a mean old codger Nonny. I'm afraid to go to bed because I'm
gonna dream of trying to run through mollasses to get to your house before
all the food is gone. But, I know that when I get there, there will be
nothing
left but dirty dishes and loud snores

--
Brick(George Gobel said in the "Birds & The Bees", "I'm even more normal
then most normal people.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 17-Feb-2008, Nonnymus > wrote:
>
>> Gosh, I guess that even in my geezerdom, I can still learn many things.
>> Today, our friend kicked me out of my own kitchen to do a little
>> cooking herself. She tossed a rack of St. Louis cut ribs, 2# of frozen
>> kraut, a few pounds of peeled reds and some seasoning of her own blend
>> into the pot. It simmered all day and the smell brought in even
>> neighbors from across the street. Tonight, the bones were removed, the
>> meat pulled and it was served in a bowl. The result was beyond reason,
>> and yet another good use of some ingredients I love in other
>> incarnations; She said it was an old family recipe.
>>
>> What a good life!
>> . .
>> --
>> Nonny

> You're a mean old codger Nonny. I'm afraid to go to bed because I'm
> gonna dream of trying to run through mollasses to get to your house before
> all the food is gone. But, I know that when I get there, there will be
> nothing
> left but dirty dishes and loud snores

Brick, just tell me when you're comin' and I'll have a little bit saved
up to serve you.

Anytime.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 17, 7:20*pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Gosh, I guess that even *in my geezerdom, I can still learn many things.
> * Today, our friend kicked me out of my own kitchen to do a little
> cooking herself. *She tossed a rack of St. Louis cut ribs, 2# of frozen
> kraut, a few pounds of peeled reds and some seasoning of her own *blend
> into the pot. It simmered all day and the smell brought in even
> neighbors from across the street. *Tonight, the bones were removed, the
> meat pulled and it was served in a bowl. *The result was beyond reason,
> and yet another good use of some ingredients I love in other
> incarnations; *She said it was an old family recipe.

Sharing a great recipe in a way that the recipient can't make it
himself? Thanks a bunch buddy.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:
> On Feb 17, 7:20 pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
>> Gosh, I guess that even in my geezerdom, I can still learn many things.
>> Today, our friend kicked me out of my own kitchen to do a little
>> cooking herself. She tossed a rack of St. Louis cut ribs, 2# of frozen
>> kraut, a few pounds of peeled reds and some seasoning of her own blend
>> into the pot. It simmered all day and the smell brought in even
>> neighbors from across the street. Tonight, the bones were removed, the
>> meat pulled and it was served in a bowl. The result was beyond reason,
>> and yet another good use of some ingredients I love in other
>> incarnations; She said it was an old family recipe.
>>

> Sharing a great recipe in a way that the recipient can't make it
> himself? Thanks a bunch buddy.

I'll ask about the seasoning and if I get a reply, I'll post it. My
impression was that she used pickling spice, since it had that "flavor,"
and she had a small muslin bag in the pot. The baby reds were about 2#
and cut into 2" pieces. The rest is pretty much intuitive. If I was
going to try it myself, here's where I'd start:

Rack of St. Louis cut ribs, separated
2 cup chicken stock or water
2# frozen kraut
2# lightly cut baby reds
2 tbsp pickling spice, in bag
simmer 6-8 hours and remove when meat falls off bone. Remove bones,
shred meat. We don't have a crock pot, but I bet one'd work swell.
Serve in bowl with caraway seeds sprinkled lightly on top.
Stand back

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
A penny saved is obviously a
government oversight.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Feb-2008, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> "Nonnymus" > wrote
> >
> > Rack of St. Louis cut ribs, separated
> > 2 cup chicken stock or water
> > 2# frozen kraut
> > 2# lightly cut baby reds
> > 2 tbsp pickling spice, in bag
> > simmer 6-8 hours and remove when meat falls off bone. Remove bones,
> > shred meat. We don't have a crock pot, but I bet one'd work swell.
> > Serve in bowl with caraway seeds sprinkled lightly on top.
> > Stand back
> >
> > --
> > Nonny

> I wonder why St. Louis cut, if they are going to be cooked that way?
> Spares
> in cryovac would probably work just as well, perhaps with a better meat to
> bone ratio, and are a hell of a lot less expensive. St. Louis is the most
> expensive way to buy spares.
>
> MartyB in KC

Ditto what Marty said. If I truly wanted St Louis spares, I'd buy the
cryovac
whole racks and trim my own. Then I'd have the chine bones and flap for
beans and such. That flap BTW is killer when fried with eggs and taters for
breakfast. Despite looking so ugly, it is quite tender and tasty when simply
fried or grilled briefly. The chine bones or tips as I call them need to be
grilled,
smoked or oven browned prior to seasoning beans and such with them. I use
them a lot in my spicey beans (no real name). I make them with pintos,
onion,
mild peppers and ground chile. They're not "Ranch Beans" because they have
no meat. They're really "Frijoles Pintos con Chili Rojo".

--
Brick(Picture and empty toilet paper roll and ask yourself, "What would
McGyver do"?)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 18, 4:54*pm, Nonnymus > wrote:
> Tutall wrote:
> > Sharing a great recipe in a way that the recipient can't make it
> > himself? Thanks a bunch buddy.

> I'll ask about the seasoning and if I get a reply, I'll post it. *My
> impression was that she used pickling spice, since it had that "flavor,"
> and she had a small muslin bag in the pot. *The baby reds were about 2#
> and cut into 2" pieces. *The rest is pretty much intuitive. *If I was
> going to try it myself, here's where I'd start:

Fair enough, hope you can get a bit more out of her, of someone here
recognizes it?