Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket

Ok, lurking and learning, I smoked my first brisket - packer cut, as you
have taught me well.

Two questions:

I have about a pint of liquid drippings (not fat). What is a good use for
this? It seems it should not be wasted.

How should the brisket be sliced? I see I can trim off gobs of fat/collagen
from the outside, but at the point end there is a lot "on the inside". I
cut that portion sideways and removed it, then had two pieces of meat (top
and bottom) which I sliced up for serving. I hope you can picture what I
mean. Any thoughts?

Oh, it was fabulous!!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gil Faver wrote:

> Ok, lurking and learning, I smoked my first brisket - packer cut, as you
> have taught me well.
>
> Two questions:
>
> I have about a pint of liquid drippings (not fat). What is a good use for
> this? It seems it should not be wasted.

Although it isn't BBQ, defatted meat juices make really excellent soup bases.
Or you could chop some of your leftover brisket and make chili and add the
liquid.

Freeze it if you can't use it right away.

Grant
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message
> How should the brisket be sliced?

Keep an eye out to follow the grain as it moves along the way.

> I see I can trim off gobs of fat/collagen from the outside, but at the
> point end there is a lot "on the inside". I cut that portion sideways and
> removed it, then had two pieces of meat (top and bottom) which I sliced up
> for serving. I hope you can picture what I mean. Any thoughts?

Yep, that's what I do. The muscle is joined there and is a cross grain
making it difficult to slice any other way.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Brisket .... how to? Skyhooks General Cooking 52 28-06-2007 02:50 AM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 08:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM