Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Smoke pellets

Hi all, I've had my WSM for a few months now and loving it, and I do my
cooking with the minion method with wood chunks thrown in with the
charcoal. I recently found out about something called smoking
pellets/grilling pellets, here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.gardenluminary.com/jackdanielspellets.htm

My question is, how good will things work in a WSM? I guess they're
specifically made for grills, and I'm still fairly new to my WSM and I
don't want to tear anything up.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"saul m david" > wrote in message
. 96.78...
> Hi all, I've had my WSM for a few months now and loving it, and I do my
> cooking with the minion method with wood chunks thrown in with the
> charcoal. I recently found out about something called smoking
> pellets/grilling pellets, here's an example of what I'm talking about:
>
> http://www.gardenluminary.com/jackdanielspellets.htm
>
> My question is, how good will things work in a WSM? I guess they're
> specifically made for grills, and I'm still fairly new to my WSM and I
> don't want to tear anything up.

They work. That said, you don't need them. There are many sources of wood
with the only cost being a bit of your time.

Trimmings from the fruit orchards, trimmings from the guys clearing the
utility lines, scraps from a woodworker or cabinet shop (cherry and maple
abound there)., steal a few pieces from the neighbor's wood pile, etc.

Light the charcoal and toss on an chunk or three and let 'er rip.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
:

> "saul m david" > wrote in message
> . 96.78...
>> Hi all, I've had my WSM for a few months now and loving it, and I do
>> my cooking with the minion method with wood chunks thrown in with the
>> charcoal. I recently found out about something called smoking
>> pellets/grilling pellets, here's an example of what I'm talking
>> about:
>>
>> http://www.gardenluminary.com/jackdanielspellets.htm
>>
>> My question is, how good will things work in a WSM? I guess they're
>> specifically made for grills, and I'm still fairly new to my WSM and
>> I don't want to tear anything up.
>>

> Looking around their pellet products, you can see the pellets through
> the packaging on some of the other "flavors" of wood they offer. Its
> hard to judge size but basically they look like little packages of the
> same stuff that pellet poopers like FE Cookshacks and Traegers burn.
>
> It looks like they want you to buy their "Cast Iron Smoker Pot", which
> to me looks like a variation on wrapping wood chunks in foil or
> otherwise enclosing them in a vented fireproof container.
> http://www.gardenluminary.com/castironsmoker.htm This might be a nice
> smoke box for gas grills, although I would probably only buy the pot
> and put real unprocessed wood in it.
>
> But my question is, if you have a WSM, why bother? IMO the pellets
> don't give the same quality of smoke flavor as wood sticks or chunks
> anyway, and regardless I can't see this stuff improving what the WSM
> already does. Save your money and buy a couple nice bags of hardwood
> chunks. BTW I also notice that they have "Black Walnut" pellets. I've
> never heard much good about barbecuing with that stuff.
>
> However in the WSM the cast iron pot might at least make a nice heat
> sink.
>
> MartyB in KC

Hmm, yeah I guess you're right about the pellets not giving good quality
of smoke flavor. I was mainly wanting them for the jack daniels flavor.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:08:58 GMT, saul m david wrote:
>
>> Hmm, yeah I guess you're right about the pellets not giving good quality
>> of smoke flavor. I was mainly wanting them for the jack daniels flavor.

> It's an advertising gimmick. It's not going to taste like
> whiskey. If it claims that on the bag then they oughta be sued
> for false advertising.
>
> -sw

Totally agree. Probably not even as good a source of smoke flavoring as raw
wood, now that the whiskey has leached out the esters and such from the
wood. But you have to admire JD's ingenuity at finding a profitable way of
getting rid of what otherwise would be a waste product for them!

John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>>> Hmm, yeah I guess you're right about the pellets not giving good quality
>>> of smoke flavor. I was mainly wanting them for the jack daniels flavor.

>> It's an advertising gimmick. It's not going to taste like
>> whiskey. If it claims that on the bag then they oughta be sued
>> for false advertising.
>>
>> -sw

> Totally agree. Probably not even as good a source of smoke flavoring as
> raw wood, now that the whiskey has leached out the esters and such from
> the wood. But you have to admire JD's ingenuity at finding a profitable
> way of getting rid of what otherwise would be a waste product for them!

A few years ago I picked up several bags of the JD chips at Walmart for $1
each. The aroma of the bag is strong and outstanding, great for impressing
the friends. Kinda like the days when you'd pass around a bag of smelly
green leafy stuff. <memories....> Where was I? Oh yeah. The smoke smell is
oak, with some other stuff, and it's a nice thing to show off, burns quick,
but that's about it. If you get them like I did then they're fine to play
around. Don't pay retail, they aren't worth it.

-John O

Pellets for Traegers yelnoc Barbecue 44 24-07-2009 12:06 AM
What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
Traeger wood pellets / alternative pellets Decca Barbecue 1 08-06-2006 06:33 PM
Pellets Herman Munster Barbecue 3 17-03-2005 01:37 AM
Experience w/Traeger/wood pellets Richard Witt Barbecue 8 29-01-2004 08:27 PM