Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Has anyone tried the Reynolds Handvac System for BBQ?

Seems like it gives the Talia a run for its money..

See:

http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp

Bruce
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> Seems like it gives the Talia a run for its money..
>
> See:
>
> http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp
>

> Bruce

Seems like a pretty handy/convenient approach.

But...

Are the reynolds bags safe to boil? ie "boil in the bag" type? Thats a big
one for me personally. Also I'd be somewhat concerned about being limited
to bags only. I like being able to make any size bag I need from a long
roll.

Curing loins for ham/bacon, storing salmon fillets, etc.... all require
long bags.

Matt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Matt" > wrote in message
t...
> "Bruce K." > wrote in message
>> Seems like it gives the Talia a run for its money..
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp
>>

>> Bruce

> Seems like a pretty handy/convenient approach.
>
> But...
>
> Are the reynolds bags safe to boil? ie "boil in the bag" type? Thats a
> big one for me personally. Also I'd be somewhat concerned about being
> limited to bags only. I like being able to make any size bag I need from
> a long roll.
>
> Curing loins for ham/bacon, storing salmon fillets, etc.... all require
> long bags.
>
> Matt

I have. Some points:

The batteries that come with it are weak, making it difficult to start the
draw down; Buy some duracells right off.

You can boil the bags, but don't kid yourself about reusing bags. You can
re vaccum them after removing some of the product, but you will never get
them clean ehough to re use with another food item.

They can - and will loose their seal in the freezer. Not good for long term
storage. They do work well in the freezer for a week or so.

This gadget does have a place in my kitchen; but here is my go-to unit for
the long haul.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 6, 9:37*am, "Shawn Martin" <shawnrmar...@no-
spam.windstream.net> wrote:

> This gadget does have a place in my kitchen; but here is my go-to unit for
> the long haul.
>
> http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html- Hide quoted text -

Hi, Shawn. I have looked at these before as a recommendation from
another site. I am finally getting to the end of my old Tilia's
life. After 7 years of use and about a million sealed bags, I am
looking for something better at vacuum sealing, and something that
uses more affordable consumables.

This machine seems to fit the bill. $100 for the machine is about the
retail price for the Tilia I bought. Bags for the sorbent machine are
half what I am paying for the Tilia knockoffs I buy from a butcher in
Dallas.

So how long have you had it? Is the snorkel part hard to master?

Most important, how does it work with wet stuff? The downside to the
Tilia I have is that if you want to save anything wet or juicy it will
not seal properly when the liquid is in the seal bar area. You get
little voids and lose the vacuum.

And one more. Will the bags for the sorbent system work with a food
saver type machine without a snorkel?

TIA.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bruce K. wrote:
> Seems like it gives the Talia a run for its money..
>
> See:
>
> http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp
>

> Bruce

I have tried it and I like it. I have a Tillia and I am not a happy
camper. Lately the bags have not been keeping the vacuum. I have checked
everything on it and even joined a Yahoo! group for Food Savers. I'm
saving it for next year's yard sale.

The Reynolds works just fine for my needs. I can freeze steaks without
worrying if there is any liquid in them to ruin the machine (The Food
Saver requires me to either prefreeze the meat or put pieces of paper
towel in the bag). The vacuum seal stays very well in the Reynolds bags,
too.

As for BBQ, we don't get any leftovers as we always have a gang to feed
when we do Q, so I can't comment on that.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

yetanotherBob wrote:
> In article <d452bf4c-2120-4663-9da6-bd7b08c0f400
> @n20g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, says...
>> And one more. Will the bags for the sorbent system work with a food
>> saver type machine without a snorkel?
>>

> The trick to make smooth nylon bags work with the FoodSaver is to take a
> piece of the embossed side of the the FoodSaver bag material, lay it
> into the mouth of the smooth bag so it spans from the vacuum chamber
> into the bag, across the sealing element.
>
> The piece of FoodSaver bag material doesn't have to be very large - 1" x
> 3" or so should do fine. It just provides a path for the air to get
> sucked out of the smooth-sided bag. The FoodSaver bag material then
> gets sealed up along with the smooth bag.
>
> Works great. Nonymous, step in here and take another bow for coming up
> with the idea.

<blush> . . . and it's a great use for the OLD bags.

BTW, this doesn't work too well with the Oliso Frisper, presumably
because the heat sealing device isn't as powerful as on the Foodsaver.
Still, I like and use our Frisper for dry things that I want to reseal,
such as pre-made ham biscuits for in the morning. I get one out and
reseal the bag with the rest.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bruce K. wrote:
> Seems like it gives the Talia a run for its money..

Not even close, IMHO.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

spam.windstream.net> wrote:

> This gadget does have a place in my kitchen; but here is my go-to unit for
> the long haul.
>
> http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html- Hide quoted text -

Hi, Shawn. I have looked at these before as a recommendation from
another site. I am finally getting to the end of my old Tilia's
life. After 7 years of use and about a million sealed bags, I am
looking for something better at vacuum sealing, and something that
uses more affordable consumables.

This machine seems to fit the bill. $100 for the machine is about the
retail price for the Tilia I bought. Bags for the sorbent machine are
half what I am paying for the Tilia knockoffs I buy from a butcher in
Dallas.

So how long have you had it? Is the snorkel part hard to master?

A couple of months

Most important, how does it work with wet stuff? The downside to the
Tilia I have is that if you want to save anything wet or juicy it will
not seal properly when the liquid is in the seal bar area. You get
little voids and lose the vacuum.

After drawing a vaccum, the gasket clamps down pretty tight and, as there is
no channels to hold moisture, it seals up real good.

And one more. Will the bags for the sorbent system work with a food
saver type machine without a snorkel?

Take a 2" by 3" section of the ribbed portion from a used tillia bag, and
insert it into the bag, flush with the mouth.
Now the tilia has a channel to evacuate the air, and the ribbed section
seals in place.
(Have never tried this, but heard about it.) If it works, let me know.

TIA.

Robert

If you want a more experienced rundown, ping Brick. He has had one for
years, and was the person who turned me onto this neat little gadget.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Feb-2008, "Shawn Martin" > wrote:

> "Matt" > wrote in message
> t...
> > "Bruce K." > wrote in message
> >> Seems like it gives the Talia a run for its money..
> >>
> >> See:
> >>
> >> http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...ac/en/home.asp
> >>

> >> Bruce

> > Seems like a pretty handy/convenient approach.
> >
> > But...
> >
> > Are the reynolds bags safe to boil? ie "boil in the bag" type? Thats a
> >
> > big one for me personally. Also I'd be somewhat concerned about being
> > limited to bags only. I like being able to make any size bag I need
> > from
> > a long roll.
> >
> > Curing loins for ham/bacon, storing salmon fillets, etc.... all require
> >
> > long bags.
> >
> > Matt
> >

> I have. Some points:
>
> The batteries that come with it are weak, making it difficult to start the
>
> draw down; Buy some duracells right off.
>
> You can boil the bags, but don't kid yourself about reusing bags. You can
>
> re vaccum them after removing some of the product, but you will never get
> them clean ehough to re use with another food item.
>
> They can - and will loose their seal in the freezer. Not good for long
> term
> storage. They do work well in the freezer for a week or so.
>
> This gadget does have a place in my kitchen; but here is my go-to unit for
>
> the long haul.
>
> http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

I've been using a Sinbo VS 280 for several years. I buy my bags from
Sorbent Systems by the case and half case. I just received a case of 8 X 12
bags (1000 bags) for a delivered price of $92.18 ($0.092/bag). Compare
that with the price for anyone else's bagging material. My sealer stays on
a kitchen counter and gets used virtually everyday. I just completed bagging
a whole pork shoulder (sliced/pulled) and a rack of spares. I packed the
majority of it in single serving sizes using 6" X 8" bags which cost me
about
$0.075/bag.

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

I have bagged whole chickens, but nothing larger then that.

I also have a food saver with attachments to evacuate mason jars. It's
handy to pack spices and breadcrumbs, but that's about all I use it for.
The bags/rolls are just too expensive for my pocketbook.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Feb-2008, " > wrote:

> On Feb 6, 9:37*am, "Shawn Martin" <shawnrmar...@no-
> spam.windstream.net> wrote:
>
> > This gadget does have a place in my kitchen; but here is my go-to unit
> > for
> > the long haul.
> >
> > http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html- Hide quoted text -

> Hi, Shawn. I have looked at these before as a recommendation from
> another site. I am finally getting to the end of my old Tilia's
> life. After 7 years of use and about a million sealed bags, I am
> looking for something better at vacuum sealing, and something that
> uses more affordable consumables.
>
> This machine seems to fit the bill. $100 for the machine is about the
> retail price for the Tilia I bought. Bags for the sorbent machine are
> half what I am paying for the Tilia knockoffs I buy from a butcher in
> Dallas.
>
> So how long have you had it? Is the snorkel part hard to master?

I've had mine over four years. I can't find the original purchase documents.
I had to fuss with it some at first and there was one period of time when
I had sealing problems. That turned out to be too short a sealing time.
Another second solved the problem.

> Most important, how does it work with wet stuff? The downside to the
> Tilia I have is that if you want to save anything wet or juicy it will
> not seal properly when the liquid is in the seal bar area. You get
> little voids and lose the vacuum.

It doesn't work worth a shit with wet stuff anymore then the Tilia does.
I simply fill bags with wet stuff and prefreeze before evacuating. I do
that with just about everything that will squirt juice into the snorkel. In
that regards the sinbo is more fussy then the Tilia.

> And one more. Will the bags for the sorbent system work with a food
> saver type machine without a snorkel?

No! The Snorkel sealer does not use channel bags. In fact it will evacuate
and seal a ziploc. But ziplocs will not hold a vacuum

> TIA.
>
> Robert

Frankly, it sounds like you want a chamber machine Robert, and so do I.
The limiting factor is the cost. The cheapest is way over a thousand
dollars.
In the meantime I'll cripple along with my Sinbo VS 280.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 6, 7:53*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> It doesn't work worth a shit with wet stuff anymore then the Tilia does.
> I simply fill bags with wet stuff and prefreeze before evacuating.

Ahhh... the fresh breeze of honesty.

> Frankly, it sounds like you want a chamber machine Robert, and so do I.
> The limiting factor is the cost. The cheapest is way over a thousand
> dollars.

You are spot on there. If I had kiddos at home, I might bite. But
since it is just the two of us, the $1500 "mini" chamber version I
like is just too much. I saw one a while back, and I was astonished
at two things: speed and accuracy. That bag was vacuumed and sealed
in seconds. That machine I was informed, was about $2500.

I buy anything that is on deep sale discount or is a discounted
seasonal item and take it home and cut it up and freeze it. They know
me pretty well in the butcher shop at Sam's and have for some time.
These things can save so damn much money, even for just two, it
doesn't make sense not to.

> In the meantime I'll cripple along with my Sinbo VS 280.

Yeah.. but in my mind I am thinking one day, maybe I'll run across
that chamber sealer somewhere...

Hey... I believe in the Easter Bunny, too!

I am looking at the Magic Vac now, which is a semi professional
machine. I talked to a lady that has five of them and uses them in
her bakery business for a few >>hours<< a day. She has had them on
the production line for about 3 years now. They are made in Italy,
and have variable seal and vacuum times and will use just about any
kind of bag you can get. I did a lot of research on this machine and
can't seem to find anyone that complains about them. They retailed
for about $400 (in their world, anyway) and were commonly sold for
anywhere from $299 plus shipping to $349.

They are changing out their model line now, and the machine is being
closed out for $129. They are much heavier duty than the Tilia
products, but still have the same drawback of not handling wet goods
well at all.

Guess I'll see.

I bought a lot of bags from this lady as she sells them at about 30%
less than the FoodSaver bags, and they work better. They seem pretty
good, so I am hoping for the same service and quality on the vacuum
machine.

Thanks for the comments.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 6-Feb-2008, "Shawn Martin" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Matt" > wrote in message
>> t...

>> > Seems like a pretty handy/convenient approach.
>> >
>> > But...
>> >
>> > Are the reynolds bags safe to boil? ie "boil in the bag" type? Thats
>> >
>> > big one for me personally. Also I'd be somewhat concerned about being
>> > limited to bags only. I like being able to make any size bag I need
>> > from
>> > a long roll.
>> >
>> > Curing loins for ham/bacon, storing salmon fillets, etc.... all
>> > require
>> >
>> > long bags.
>> >
>> > Matt
>> >

>> I have. Some points:
>>
>> The batteries that come with it are weak, making it difficult to start
>> the
>>
>> draw down; Buy some duracells right off.
>>
>> You can boil the bags, but don't kid yourself about reusing bags. You
>> can
>>
>> re vaccum them after removing some of the product, but you will never get
>> them clean ehough to re use with another food item.
>>
>> They can - and will loose their seal in the freezer. Not good for long
>> term
>> storage. They do work well in the freezer for a week or so.
>>
>> This gadget does have a place in my kitchen; but here is my go-to unit
>> for
>>
>> the long haul.
>>
>> http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

> I've been using a Sinbo VS 280 for several years. I buy my bags from
> Sorbent Systems by the case and half case. I just received a case of 8 X
> 12
> bags (1000 bags) for a delivered price of $92.18 ($0.092/bag). Compare
> that with the price for anyone else's bagging material. My sealer stays on
> a kitchen counter and gets used virtually everyday. I just completed
> bagging
> a whole pork shoulder (sliced/pulled) and a rack of spares. I packed the
> majority of it in single serving sizes using 6" X 8" bags which cost me
> about
> $0.075/bag.
>
> http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html
>
> I have bagged whole chickens, but nothing larger then that.
>
> I also have a food saver with attachments to evacuate mason jars. It's
> handy to pack spices and breadcrumbs, but that's about all I use it for.
> The bags/rolls are just too expensive for my pocketbook.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Check out this unit; especially the "tab-checks" valves.
I bought a roll of these, and the hand held unit, and my Tilia went to
Goodwill.

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/info.htm

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Feb-2008, " > wrote:

> On Feb 6, 7:53*pm, "Brick" > wrote:
> > It doesn't work worth a shit with wet stuff anymore then the Tilia does.
> > I simply fill bags with wet stuff and prefreeze before evacuating.

> Ahhh... the fresh breeze of honesty.
>

> > Frankly, it sounds like you want a chamber machine Robert, and so do I.
> > The limiting factor is the cost. The cheapest is way over a thousand
> > dollars.

> You are spot on there. If I had kiddos at home, I might bite. But
> since it is just the two of us, the $1500 "mini" chamber version I
> like is just too much. I saw one a while back, and I was astonished
> at two things: speed and accuracy. That bag was vacuumed and sealed
> in seconds. That machine I was informed, was about $2500.
>
> I buy anything that is on deep sale discount or is a discounted
> seasonal item and take it home and cut it up and freeze it. They know
> me pretty well in the butcher shop at Sam's and have for some time.
> These things can save so damn much money, even for just two, it
> doesn't make sense not to.
>
> > In the meantime I'll cripple along with my Sinbo VS 280.

> Yeah.. but in my mind I am thinking one day, maybe I'll run across
> that chamber sealer somewhere...
>
> Hey... I believe in the Easter Bunny, too!
>
> I am looking at the Magic Vac now, which is a semi professional
> machine. I talked to a lady that has five of them and uses them in
> her bakery business for a few >>hours<< a day. She has had them on
> the production line for about 3 years now. They are made in Italy,
> and have variable seal and vacuum times and will use just about any
> kind of bag you can get. I did a lot of research on this machine and
> can't seem to find anyone that complains about them. They retailed
> for about $400 (in their world, anyway) and were commonly sold for
> anywhere from $299 plus shipping to $349.
>
> They are changing out their model line now, and the machine is being
> closed out for $129. They are much heavier duty than the Tilia
> products, but still have the same drawback of not handling wet goods
> well at all.
>
> Guess I'll see.
>
> I bought a lot of bags from this lady as she sells them at about 30%
> less than the FoodSaver bags, and they work better. They seem pretty
> good, so I am hoping for the same service and quality on the vacuum
> machine.
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> Robert

My FoodSaver machine is actually an early model imported from Italy.
On the bottom it's labeled F.L.A.E.M. It very closely resembles the
Magic Vac Champion displayed at this link: Vacuum time is left up to
the operator with a vacuum gauge as a guide. Sealing time is adjustable
as it is on the Sinbo VS 280 snorkel sealer.

http://www.deni.com/magicvac_1750.asp

The machine is totally functional after all these years. (Don't know how
many years.) My only complaint is not with the machine, but the price
of the bags. I just took delivery of a case of quart bags for my VS 280.
Total cost for a thousand bags delivered to my door was $92.18. At
that price, I repackage just about all of the frozen vegetables I get from
the supermarket. Everytime I open a package and use enough for the
two of us, I reseal the same bag until the next time.

I'm so used to pre-freezing products to avoid contaminating the sealer
that I don't even think about it any more. I keep a few bags in a drawer
along with my aluminum foil and cling wrap, so they're always instantly
accessible. Vacuum packing leftovers takes no more effort then putting
the same product into a ziplock.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Feb-2008, "Shawn Martin" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> >
> > On 6-Feb-2008, "Shawn Martin" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> "Matt" > wrote in message
> >> t...

> >> I have. Some points:
> >>
> >> The batteries that come with it are weak, making it difficult to start
> >> the
> >>
> >> draw down; Buy some duracells right off.
> >>
> >> You can boil the bags, but don't kid yourself about reusing bags. You
> >> can
> >>
> >> re vaccum them after removing some of the product, but you will never
> >> get
> >> them clean ehough to re use with another food item.
> >>
> >> They can - and will loose their seal in the freezer. Not good for long
> >> term
> >> storage. They do work well in the freezer for a week or so.
> >>
> >> This gadget does have a place in my kitchen; but here is my go-to unit
> >> for
> >>
> >> the long haul.
> >>
> >> http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

> > I've been using a Sinbo VS 280 for several years. I buy my bags from
> > Sorbent Systems by the case and half case. I just received a case of 8 X
> >
> > 12
> > bags (1000 bags) for a delivered price of $92.18 ($0.092/bag). Compare
> > that with the price for anyone else's bagging material. My sealer stays
> > on
> > a kitchen counter and gets used virtually everyday. I just completed
> > bagging
> > a whole pork shoulder (sliced/pulled) and a rack of spares. I packed the
> > majority of it in single serving sizes using 6" X 8" bags which cost me
> > about

>. > $0.075/bag.
> >
> > http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html
> >
> > I have bagged whole chickens, but nothing larger then that.
> >
> > I also have a food saver with attachments to evacuate mason jars. It's
> > handy to pack spices and breadcrumbs, but that's about all I use it for.
> > The bags/rolls are just too expensive for my pocketbook.
> >
> > --
> > Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

> Check out this unit; especially the "tab-checks" valves.
> I bought a roll of these, and the hand held unit, and my Tilia went to
> Goodwill.
>
> http://www.pump-n-seal.com/info.htm

I think those Tab Checks are way more expensive then they should be.
They are more expensive then the bags I buy. And even after you get
the Tab Checks, you still have to get some kind of bags somewhere.
Ziplocks cost about the same as the bags that I buy and Ziplocks won't
hold a vacuum very long.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

snip

> On 7-Feb-2008, "Shawn Martin" >
> wrote:
>
> I think those Tab Checks are way more expensive then they should be.
> They are more expensive then the bags I buy. And even after you get
> the Tab Checks, you still have to get some kind of bags somewhere.
> Ziplocks cost about the same as the bags that I buy and Ziplocks won't
> hold a vacuum very long.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

I don't use them on bags. I put a small hole on a mason jar lid, and use
them with jars.

(Less expensive than Tilia Vacuum canisters, and reusable too.)

Keeps bugs out of my dry goods.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" <TFM@ttack> wrote in message

>> I have. Some points:
>>
>> The batteries that come with it are weak, making it difficult to start
>> the draw down; Buy some duracells right off.

> I've noticed that the batteries are a bit weak. I bought Duracell
> rechargables. Haven'te had to use them yet.
>

>> You can boil the bags, but don't kid yourself about reusing bags. You
>> can re vaccum them after removing some of the product, but you will never
>> get them clean ehough to re use with another food item.

> ****in' Christ dude, does anybody you know actually reuse bags? Mr. Cohen
> perhaps?

No, I don't. But almost everybody who looks at the thing mentions reusing
the bags.

>> They can - and will loose their seal in the freezer. Not good for long
>> term storage. They do work well in the freezer for a week or so.

> I like the quart size bags for keeping cheese...in da fridge.
>
> TFM®

I do cheese too. Got a hunk of RP in the fridge for about a month. No mold
yet.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Shawn Martin wrote:

> No, I don't. But almost everybody who looks at the thing mentions reusing
> the bags.
>>> They can - and will loose their seal in the freezer. Not good for long
>>> term storage. They do work well in the freezer for a week or so.

>> I like the quart size bags for keeping cheese...in da fridge.
>>
>> TFM®

> I do cheese too. Got a hunk of RP in the fridge for about a month. No mold
> yet.

Outside of preventing dehydration or oxidation of frozen meat, I'd say
that the biggest success story I have from our Foodsaver and Frisper is
the storage of cheese. Wow, do they ever work well for that. I use the
Frisper, with the resealable bags, for cheese and YES, I reuse the bags
that held cheese. There's no reason that the resealable Frisper bags
wouldn't work with meat as well, IMHO, but I just haven't done it-
preferring my Foodsaver roll bags instead. It's probably just habit.

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> I do cheese too. Got a hunk of RP in the fridge for about a month. No
>> mold yet.

> Outside of preventing dehydration or oxidation of frozen meat, I'd say
> that the biggest success story I have from our Foodsaver and Frisper is
> the storage of cheese. Wow, do they ever work well for that. I use the
> Frisper, with the resealable bags, for cheese and YES, I reuse the bags
> that held cheese. There's no reason that the resealable Frisper bags
> wouldn't work with meat as well, IMHO, but I just haven't done it-
> preferring my Foodsaver roll bags instead. It's probably just habit.

I was watching one of those shows where some goof does someone else's job,
and they went to a cheese factory. They age the cheddar after dipping it in
wax. Reading this, I'm wondering if storing cheese is as simple as coating
it in wax....

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

John O wrote:
>>> I do cheese too. Got a hunk of RP in the fridge for about a month. No
>>> mold yet.

>> Outside of preventing dehydration or oxidation of frozen meat, I'd say
>> that the biggest success story I have from our Foodsaver and Frisper is
>> the storage of cheese. Wow, do they ever work well for that. I use the
>> Frisper, with the resealable bags, for cheese and YES, I reuse the bags
>> that held cheese. There's no reason that the resealable Frisper bags
>> wouldn't work with meat as well, IMHO, but I just haven't done it-
>> preferring my Foodsaver roll bags instead. It's probably just habit.
>>

> I was watching one of those shows where some goof does someone else's job,
> and they went to a cheese factory. They age the cheddar after dipping it in
> wax. Reading this, I'm wondering if storing cheese is as simple as coating
> it in wax....
>
> -John O

The wax would exclude air, but I don't know about aging the cheese. Air
seems to be the bugaboo for cheese, and the vac sealing sure keeps it
from turning green for a LONG time. Presumably, this is also the
purpose of wax, but I don't know for sure.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"John O" > wrote in message

> I was watching one of those shows where some goof does someone else's job,
> and they went to a cheese factory. They age the cheddar after dipping it
> in wax. Reading this, I'm wondering if storing cheese is as simple as
> coating it in wax....
>
> -John O

It has worked for a few centuries so far so there must be something to it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> I was watching one of those shows where some goof does someone else's
>> job, and they went to a cheese factory. They age the cheddar after
>> dipping it in wax. Reading this, I'm wondering if storing cheese is as
>> simple as coating it in wax....
>>
>> -John O

> The wax would exclude air, but I don't know about aging the cheese. Air
> seems to be the bugaboo for cheese, and the vac sealing sure keeps it from
> turning green for a LONG time. Presumably, this is also the purpose of
> wax, but I don't know for sure.

All I know about it is what I heard on that show....they said the wax allows
the cheese to let out some gasses and keeps air out. Maybe it's a certain
kind of wax, beats me.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn Martin" > wrote in message

> "TFM®" <TFM@ttack> wrote in message
>>

>>> I have. Some points:
>>>
>>> The batteries that come with it are weak, making it difficult to start
>>> the draw down; Buy some duracells right off.

>> I've noticed that the batteries are a bit weak. I bought Duracell
>> rechargables. Haven'te had to use them yet.
>>

>>> You can boil the bags, but don't kid yourself about reusing bags. You
>>> can re vaccum them after removing some of the product, but you will
>>> never get them clean ehough to re use with another food item.

>> ****in' Christ dude, does anybody you know actually reuse bags? Mr.
>> Cohen perhaps?

> No, I don't. But almost everybody who looks at the thing mentions reusing
> the bags.

I've re-used bags several times. No you can't always re-use them but
sometimes you can. I've reused bags that have held fruit, veggies, cookies,
etc... in the freezer, with no problems.

Matt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Shawn Martin wrote:
>

>> No, I don't. But almost everybody who looks at the thing mentions
>> reusing the bags.
>>>
>>> I like the quart size bags for keeping cheese...in da fridge.
>>>
>>> TFM®

>> I do cheese too. Got a hunk of RP in the fridge for about a month. No
>> mold yet.

> Outside of preventing dehydration or oxidation of frozen meat, I'd say
> that the biggest success story I have from our Foodsaver and Frisper is
> the storage of cheese. Wow, do they ever work well for that. I use the
> Frisper, with the resealable bags, for cheese and YES, I reuse the bags
> that held cheese. There's no reason that the resealable Frisper bags
> wouldn't work with meat as well, IMHO, but I just haven't done it-
> preferring my Foodsaver roll bags instead. It's probably just habit.
>
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

I regularly cold-smoke a variety of cheeses and my Foodsaver has been a
god-send in keeping all the cheese fresh for any length of time.

After cold smoking the cheese, I vacuum seal it with my Foodsaver and then
store it in the fridge for a minimum of 10 days in order to let the smoke
flavor mellow a bit. Often times, it is weeks or a month before I even
sample a cheese after smoking. I've had some (smoked) cheeses stored in the
fridge for several months with zero molding. Vacuum sealers are awesome for
cheese!

Matt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Matt wrote:

> After cold smoking the cheese, I vacuum seal it with my Foodsaver and then
> store it in the fridge for a minimum of 10 days in order to let the smoke
> flavor mellow a bit. Often times, it is weeks or a month before I even
> sample a cheese after smoking. I've had some (smoked) cheeses stored in the
> fridge for several months with zero molding. Vacuum sealers are awesome for
> cheese!
>
> Matt

If you've cold smoked cheese, you may have done bacon as well. That's
one of my favorites. We shop at Albertson's and they sell bulk thick
bacon in their butcher department. I get 3-4 pounds at a time. I mix
up a water/maple syrup wash and dip the bacon in it. I used to do it
50-50, but am now down to 25% maple syrup with the rest water, since we
like it a tad less sweet. The bacon is then put on 8 Bradley racks (4
up, with 4 inverted on top) and cold smoked. Like with the syrup, I
have gone from using 2-3 pucks to 20 minutes with ONE apple puck. The
smoked bacon has one heck of a lot of surface area, so again, moderation
is desirable to limit oversmoking.

I then lay the bacon covered racks on the sink and crack just a little
black pepper on them, vacuuming and then freezing the bacon in 1/2 to 1#
servings. I'm lucky in that our kitchen sink is an "undermount" one
that is just the right size for the Bradley racks. It's perfect for
things like adding spice, rubs, pepper or sauces, since anything that
falls off is in the sink and cleanup is a snap.

Nonny
--
---Nonnymus---
No matter how large your boat,
the person you are talking with will
have a close friend with a larger one.
---Observation by my son

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message
> Matt wrote:
>
>> After cold smoking the cheese, I vacuum seal it with my Foodsaver and
>> then store it in the fridge for a minimum of 10 days in order to let the
>> smoke flavor mellow a bit. Often times, it is weeks or a month before I
>> even sample a cheese after smoking. I've had some (smoked) cheeses
>> stored in the fridge for several months with zero molding. Vacuum
>> sealers are awesome for cheese!
>>
>> Matt

> If you've cold smoked cheese, you may have done bacon as well. That's one
> of my favorites. We shop at Albertson's and they sell bulk thick bacon in
> their butcher department. I get 3-4 pounds at a time. I mix up a
> water/maple syrup wash and dip the bacon in it. I used to do it 50-50,
> but am now down to 25% maple syrup with the rest water, since we like it a
> tad less sweet. The bacon is then put on 8 Bradley racks (4 up, with 4
> inverted on top) and cold smoked. Like with the syrup, I have gone from
> using 2-3 pucks to 20 minutes with ONE apple puck. The smoked bacon has
> one heck of a lot of surface area, so again, moderation is desirable to
> limit oversmoking.
>
> I then lay the bacon covered racks on the sink and crack just a little
> black pepper on them, vacuuming and then freezing the bacon in 1/2 to 1#
> servings. I'm lucky in that our kitchen sink is an "undermount" one that
> is just the right size for the Bradley racks. It's perfect for things
> like adding spice, rubs, pepper or sauces, since anything that falls off
> is in the sink and cleanup is a snap.
>
> Nonny
> --
> ---Nonnymus---
> No matter how large your boat,
> the person you are talking with will
> have a close friend with a larger one.
> ---Observation by my son

Thanks for the tip Nonny.

I haven't cold smoked bacon the way you described, but I've made my own
homemade bacon from a pork belly before. I also regularly make my own
canadian bacon by curing a pork loin for a week or two, then smoking. I use
a maple cure on the loin and then also add a bit of maple syrup or even
maple extract for much of the curing period. A vacuum sealer is also
priceless when curing loins/bacon for a couple weeks at a time. Your
method of cold smoking bacon seems alot less trouble than making homemade
bacon from a pork belly. I think I'll have to give that a shot next time.

thanks again Nonny!

Matt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

>>> The wax would exclude air, but I don't know about aging the cheese. Air
>>> seems to be the bugaboo for cheese, and the vac sealing sure keeps it
>>> from
>>> turning green for a LONG time. Presumably, this is also the purpose of
>>> wax, but I don't know for sure.
>>>

>>All I know about it is what I heard on that show....they said the wax
>>allows
>>the cheese to let out some gasses and keeps air out. Maybe it's a certain
>>kind of wax, beats me.

> Used to be the 2 lb 'Baby Loaf' of Tillamook was sold retail wrapped
> in wax. Maybe 20 years ago now? Maybe a bit more.
>
> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

A few weeks ago I smoked some Dutch gouda cheese that came wrapped with wax.
It actually came wrapped with netting like you would find on a ham, but it
was encased in wax. The netting held the wax together and let you peel it
off all in one peice. BTW, the smoked gouda turned out excellent.
Matt

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Matt" > wrote in
et:

> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message

>>>All I know about it is what I heard on that show....they said the wax
>>>allows
>>>the cheese to let out some gasses and keeps air out. Maybe it's a
>>>certain kind of wax, beats me.

>> Used to be the 2 lb 'Baby Loaf' of Tillamook was sold retail wrapped
>> in wax. Maybe 20 years ago now? Maybe a bit more.
>>
>> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
>> winds up persecuting someone else."
>> -Philip Pullman
>> --
>> -denny-
>> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

> A few weeks ago I smoked some Dutch gouda cheese that came wrapped
> with wax. It actually came wrapped with netting like you would find on
> a ham, but it was encased in wax. The netting held the wax together
> and let you peel it off all in one peice. BTW, the smoked gouda
> turned out excellent. Matt

I have to ask.

How gouda was it?

--
Tommy Lee
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"motley me" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Matt" > wrote in
> et:
>

>> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:18:27 -0500, "John O"

>>> Used to be the 2 lb 'Baby Loaf' of Tillamook was sold retail wrapped
>>> in wax. Maybe 20 years ago now? Maybe a bit more.
>>>
>>> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
>>> winds up persecuting someone else."
>>> -Philip Pullman
>>> --
>>> -denny-
>>> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

>> A few weeks ago I smoked some Dutch gouda cheese that came wrapped
>> with wax. It actually came wrapped with netting like you would find on
>> a ham, but it was encased in wax. The netting held the wax together
>> and let you peel it off all in one peice. BTW, the smoked gouda
>> turned out excellent. Matt
>>

> I have to ask.
>
> How gouda was it?
>
> --