Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Dry Brisket

Threw a brisket (usual rub) on for Superbowl about 6:30 pm Saturday eve.
I used cowboy lump, all I had avail ( I Know ) and some mesquite chunks
to start with. Heat stayed steady in 220 240 range at grid level
until about midnight I tossed a couple of mesquite limbs about 3 inch
diameter and 8-10 inches length. The heat stayed level around 225 until
I passed out at 1:30 AM Woke up at 7:30 looked at thermometer and
saw - - - So I bundled up went out side and found dead batteries,
replaced those, replenished water pan and stoked with more Cowboy
lump and a few more chunks of mesquite. The temp was at 180 + when I
got thru fiddling around and back inside were I could read it So I
don't think it went "cold" on me. It cooked at 220 -240 range for
about 3 hours, I put the probe in meat, it slide in easily and
reported 180.. I took it to 185, pulled it off and took it inside about
12:30. It had cooked a bit faster than I had expected so I left it on
the tray put some foil over it set it aside.Later I cut into the
point,it was drier than I like, Hopefully the point was little better
(not really), I thought oversmoked and I didn't really care for the smoke
flavor, I'm hard pressed to detect the mequite Would the Cowboy brand
alone cause that? and dry taking it to 185? How do you guard against a
dry bisket? And how about them Giants?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"charlyhorse" > wrote in message
> Threw a brisket (usual rub) on for Superbowl about 6:30 pm Saturday eve.
> I used cowboy lump, all I had avail ( I Know ) and some mesquite chunks
> to start with. Heat stayed steady in 220 240 range at grid level
> until about midnight I tossed a couple of mesquite limbs about 3 inch
> diameter and 8-10 inches length.

> point,it was drier than I like, Hopefully the point was little better
> (not really), I thought oversmoked and I didn't really care for the smoke
> flavor, I'm hard pressed to detect the mequite Would the Cowboy brand
> alone cause that? and dry taking it to 185? How do you guard against a
> dry bisket? And how about them Giants?

What type of brisket? If you are talking about a full packer cut it can
usually go to 190+ without drying out. What type of smoker? If it was in
direct line of the coals, the radiant heat can dry it out.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in
. net:

> "charlyhorse" > wrote in message
>> Threw a brisket (usual rub) on for Superbowl about 6:30 pm Saturday
>> eve. I used cowboy lump, all I had avail ( I Know ) and some
>> mesquite chunks to start with. Heat stayed steady in 220 240 range
>> at grid level until about midnight I tossed a couple of mesquite
>> limbs about 3 inch diameter and 8-10 inches length.

>> point,it was drier than I like, Hopefully the point was little
>> better (not really), I thought oversmoked and I didn't really care
>> for the smoke flavor, I'm hard pressed to detect the mequite Would
>> the Cowboy brand alone cause that? and dry taking it to 185? How do
>> you guard against a dry bisket? And how about them Giants?

> What type of brisket? If you are talking about a full packer cut it
> can usually go to 190+ without drying out. What type of smoker? If
> it was in direct line of the coals, the radiant heat can dry it out.

Packer cut on a wsm with a water pan that never dried out

I just don't get brisket Janet Bostwick General Cooking 71 15-10-2014 04:51 PM
Brisket .... how to? Skyhooks General Cooking 52 28-06-2007 02:50 AM
Odd brisket swibirun Barbecue 7 03-03-2007 08:20 PM
Brisket cut? Nancy Young General Cooking 5 14-09-2006 05:41 PM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM