Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Full brisket, Sacramento area: FOLLOW UP

Hi again;

OK, I found the full brisket at the local Super Walmart (Dixon, CA,
the "Gateway to Davis"). It didn't look quite like what I expected,
but I went to the Virtual Bullet website and confirmed it was what I
was looking for. There were two, each about 12 lbs or so.

Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

Thanks a heap once more,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Full brisket, Sacramento area: FOLLOW UP to FOLLOW UP

>Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
box out, I dunno'".

I'm thinking it's utility grade.

Any help?

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> >Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
>>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
>>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

> OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
> but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
> brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
> Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
> indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
> but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
> came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
> box out, I dunno'".
>
> I'm thinking it's utility grade.
>
> Any help?

Grading is optional, so perhaps it was inspected only, and not graded.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:
>> Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
>> its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
>> but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

> OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
> but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
> brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
> Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
> indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
> but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
> came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
> box out, I dunno'".
>
> I'm thinking it's utility grade.
>
> Any help?
>
> -Zz

Cook it and eat it. If you like it, the grade was just right!

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 26, 2:23*pm, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
> its "choice" or "select" grade? *I forgot to check when I was there,
> but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".
>
> Thanks a heap once more,

You should get a lot of answers on this. But... remember if you reply
to them things will be a lot friendlier if you don't top post.

I have found my personal experience is that the cooking tells the tale
in the lesser grades of meat. I don't have any problems with the
grades, as long as I let the brisket and the fire do their thing and
let me know when they are ready. For me, the texture of some of the
better qualtiy meats isn't what I am used to and I have a tendency to
overcook it a little making the flat a little crumbly when slicing, a
definite no-no in my book. With that said, the inexpensive cuts and I
are old friends.

The best thing I could relate to you when cooking a brisket is to give
yourself PLENTY of time when cooking. Them old bovines can be pretty
tough.

If it hits a plateau, don't get anxious. Leave it on the fire and let
it does its stuff; I cook at higher temps than most do here for
brisket sometimes, but it depends on the piece of meat. But if you
want a sure fire method to brisket heaven, allow about an hour and a
quarter to an hour and a half per pound. EACH piece of meat will be
different, and you could easily take off or add time to those numbers.

For me, I don't flip, spin, foil, basted pack in an ice chest for
several hours (unless company is coming later on) when cooking. I
apply rub for an overnight rest and take it out an hour or so before
it goes on the fire. Some say this distresses the smoke ring process
as their is greater reaction to the myoglobin when it is cold. The
smoke ring on mine is pretty, I still get a nice ring almost every
time.

Since you are not competing, I would worry more about tasted and
texture before I started worrying about the smoke ring.

I would suggest a rub with little or no sugar in it, and if you are
starting out on the beef smoking trail, I would cook the meat with
just a coating of 1/3 part kosher salt, 1/3 part pepper, and 1/3
paprika, and that is all You brisket is supposed to taste like
barbecue, not a pizza or a plate of enchiladas.

When getting my rubs the way I wanted, I spent WAY to much time on
them, and didn't really realize the real secret is in the cooking
method. Good advice has been seen around here, too, and that is to
cook the brisket completely naked so that you can get a real taste of
what smoked brisket is all about. Then build your ingredient list
from there.

Good luck! Hope it turns out well.

Remember the old adage; "It's done when its done". Brisket takes some
practice, but is worth the curve.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message

> Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
> its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
> but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".
>
> Thanks a heap once more,
> -Zz

Grade does not matter on brisket. I've done both with equally good results.
The trick is to cook it long enough to break down the collagen. If you are
using a thermometer, take it off at 192 to 195. If not stick a fork in it
and you should be able to turn it fairly easily. Let it stand and slice
thin across the grain.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> Hi again;
>
> OK, I found the full brisket at the local Super Walmart (Dixon, CA,
> the "Gateway to Davis"). It didn't look quite like what I expected,
> but I went to the Virtual Bullet website and confirmed it was what I
> was looking for. There were two, each about 12 lbs or so.
>
> Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
> its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
> but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".
>
> Thanks a heap once more,
> -Zz

All will work quite well.
--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Zz Yzx wrote:

>>Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
>>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
>>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

> OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
> but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
> brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
> Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
> indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
> but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
> came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
> box out, I dunno'".
>
> I'm thinking it's utility grade.
>
> Any help?

You aren't ever going to find out what grade that particular meat is.
If I were you, I'd try to find out how good you can make it with the
cheap stuff. That's my philosophy. Only spend money if you have to!

GWE

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>You aren't ever going to find out what grade that particular meat is.
>If I were you, I'd try to find out how good you can make it with the
>cheap stuff. That's my philosophy. Only spend money if you have to!
>
>GWE

I resemble that remark.

But I host my softball's team (which I've played on since 1980) annual
Superbowl party (10-12 guys plus wives [some "choice", some "select",
no "utility"] and kids [some "utility" here, though]) and other
miscellaneous attendees), and I've set a verrrry high standard with
pulled pork shoulders, turkeys, and ribs. But that menu is getting
old, and I want to try something different (brisket, pulled chicken
leg quarters, and buffalo wings). I'd hate to fall on my face with a
dry, tough brisket.

But what I'm getting from you guys is that it's up to me, not the
steer.

No pressure....

-Zz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> >You aren't ever going to find out what grade that particular meat is.
>>If I were you, I'd try to find out how good you can make it with the
>>cheap stuff. That's my philosophy. Only spend money if you have to!
>>
>>GWE

> I resemble that remark.
>
> But I host my softball's team (which I've played on since 1980) annual
> Superbowl party (10-12 guys plus wives [some "choice", some "select",
> no "utility"] and kids [some "utility" here, though]) and other
> miscellaneous attendees), and I've set a verrrry high standard with
> pulled pork shoulders, turkeys, and ribs. But that menu is getting
> old, and I want to try something different (brisket, pulled chicken
> leg quarters, and buffalo wings). I'd hate to fall on my face with a
> dry, tough brisket.

so, if you bought the expensive one and it turned out good, you would never
even try the lesser expensive one? Why not try the cheap one at home for a
dry run? What, you might end up with too much good food???

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>so, if you bought the expensive one and it turned out good, you would never
>even try the lesser expensive one? Why not try the cheap one at home for a
>dry run? What, you might end up with too much good food???

Time is an enemy.

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Jan-2008, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> >You aren't ever going to find out what grade that particular meat is.
> >If I were you, I'd try to find out how good you can make it with the
> >cheap stuff. That's my philosophy. Only spend money if you have to!
> >
> >GWE

> I resemble that remark.
>
> But I host my softball's team (which I've played on since 1980) annual
> Superbowl party (10-12 guys plus wives [some "choice", some "select",
> no "utility"] and kids [some "utility" here, though]) and other
> miscellaneous attendees), and I've set a verrrry high standard with
> pulled pork shoulders, turkeys, and ribs. But that menu is getting
> old, and I want to try something different (brisket, pulled chicken
> leg quarters, and buffalo wings). I'd hate to fall on my face with a
> dry, tough brisket.
>
> But what I'm getting from you guys is that it's up to me, not the
> steer.
>
> No pressure....
>
> -Zz

Methinks you have correctly decyphered the message. Ungraded brisket
from Wally World is what BBQ is all about. I buy packer cut brisket(s)
when I can get them for less then $1.60/lb. I can get NY Strip for $4.99.
Not much point in paying that kind of money for pork butts or brisket.
I like 195° as my magic number for brisket, but your preference may fall
anywhere from 185° to 205°. 195° and above tends to be a little crumbly
for slicing. That doesn't bother me, but if you want nice clean slices, you
might want to consider a lower internal temp for your finished brisket.

Given that you desire to please a fairly broad spectrum of guests, I'd
recommend trying for about 185° internal and stick to S&P for the rub.
Unlike chicken, brisket has a very robust flavor of its own, so It's shame-
ful to cover it up with spices. Some folks just naturally gravitate to BBQ
sauce though, so you might want to think about having some available.
(My Puerto Rican neighbors use my BBQ as a vehicle to eat BBQ sauce.
They aren't even particular what kind of sauce it is.) I've had good
comments about the 'Struttin Sauce' I serve. The recipe is from the
book "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

If you treat brisket exactly the same as pork butts you're going to be
squarely in the middle of the ballpark. And ye gods, BBQ is all about
the cheap cuts man. Forget that crap about graded meat and serve
very large portions of the cheap stuff.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Time is an enemy.

We used to have those in our aquarium.

Cough.

My only attempt at a brisket was one of those ungraded slabs from Walmart,
and it went from cold to 'can't barely slice it' in a hurry. Do a test run
before you put yourself on the line for those [choice wives] friends.

As soon as it warms up a bit I'm going to try another one, this time with my
WSM and a good thermometer.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Methinks you have correctly decyphered the message. Ungraded brisket
> from Wally World is what BBQ is all about. I buy packer cut brisket(s)
> when I can get them for less then $1.60/lb. I can get NY Strip for $4.99.
> Not much point in paying that kind of money for pork butts or brisket.
> I like 195° as my magic number for brisket, but your preference may fall
> anywhere from 185° to 205°. 195° and above tends to be a little crumbly
> for slicing. That doesn't bother me, but if you want nice clean slices,
> you
> might want to consider a lower internal temp for your finished brisket.
>
> Given that you desire to please a fairly broad spectrum of guests, I'd
> recommend trying for about 185° internal and stick to S&P for the rub.
> Unlike chicken, brisket has a very robust flavor of its own, so It's
> shame-
> ful to cover it up with spices. Some folks just naturally gravitate to BBQ
> sauce though, so you might want to think about having some available.
> (My Puerto Rican neighbors use my BBQ as a vehicle to eat BBQ sauce.
> They aren't even particular what kind of sauce it is.) I've had good
> comments about the 'Struttin Sauce' I serve. The recipe is from the
> book "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.
>
> If you treat brisket exactly the same as pork butts you're going to be
> squarely in the middle of the ballpark. And ye gods, BBQ is all about
> the cheap cuts man. Forget that crap about graded meat and serve
> very large portions of the cheap stuff.
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

OK, I posted the prior message before reading this, shame on me. But now I'm
definitely going to get one of those cheal briskets asap. :-)

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Your brisket is supposed to taste like
> barbecue, not a pizza or a plate of enchiladas.

Yeah, what he said.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> >Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
>>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
>>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

> OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
> but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
> brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
> Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
> indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
> but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
> came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
> box out, I dunno'".
>
> I'm thinking it's utility grade.
>
> Any help?

Odds are it is select grade--as long as it is reasonably flexible and not
too thin in the flat should cook up just fine!! While lots of folks may say
otherwise foil can be your friend--when the hunk of beef gets to about 165°F
wrap it with a little good beef broth and cook 'till at your desired
temp(195°or so)--better to get it done 3hrs early vs 3 hours late!

buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:

> Zz Yzx wrote:
>
> >>Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
> >>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
> >>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

> > OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
> > but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
> > brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
> > Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
> > indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
> > but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
> > came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
> > box out, I dunno'".
> >
> > I'm thinking it's utility grade.
> >
> > Any help?

> You aren't ever going to find out what grade that particular meat is.
> If I were you, I'd try to find out how good you can make it with the
> cheap stuff. That's my philosophy. Only spend money if you have to!

At the Albertson's here, the packer cut cryopack brisket is typically
$1.49/lb and the package indicates it's choice generally. I think the
highest I've ever seen it at was $2.49/lb. It's what I normally get and
the results are always good.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:25:29 -0800, Zz Yzx >
wrote:

>>Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
>>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
>>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

>OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
>but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
>brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
>Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
>indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
>but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
>came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
>box out, I dunno'"

I went to a few markets within an easy travel. Albertsons' had the
same brand ("Excel") and same packaging, but they were "trimmed" (6-8
lbs, cap off), and still no indication of grade. So I went back to
Walmart. OF course, they were sold out and didn't know when they'd
get more. So I went to the Super Walmart in West Sacramento, got the
ungraded, untrimmed brisket, 12.5 lbs, $1.67/lb.

I'll bbq it in the rain Saturday. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Again, thanks a heap for all replies and advice,
-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Excel is one brand of packer cut that is always graded, and says
>so on the cryovac. I have never seen a packer cut (in this case,
>Excel) without a specific sub-brand (like "Rancher's Reserve) on
>it.
>
>-sw

Huh. I don;t know what to make of it.

I've seen the Excel-branded cryovac packages at 3 stores now, an
Albertsons and two Walmarts (it says "Cargill Meat Solutions" on the
paper label that Walmart put on it). I just rechecked the one I
bought. There is absoultely NO indication of grade, there is the USDA
inspection stamp.

-Zz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 12:55:13 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
>
> > At the Albertson's here, the packer cut cryopack brisket is typically
> > $1.49/lb and the package indicates it's choice generally. I think the
> > highest I've ever seen it at was $2.49/lb. It's what I normally get and
> > the results are always good.

> HEB and Walmart are having a pricing war on briskets. HEB was
> usually $1.67 and Walmart was $1.69 when I first noticed it. Now
> they each keep lowering their prices about 4 cents at a time
> until they're currently $1.37/lb at both Walmart and HEB.
>
> -sw

wonder why they'd bother to have a price war on something so inexpensive
to begin with? At any rate, with current gas prices going to any of
those stores to save $0.12/lb over the $1.49 brisket at the Albertson's
3 miles from me would probably cost more than the savings unless I
bought the brisket by the palette. Being single, a 15# brisket worth of
BBQ will last me many months.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jan-2008, Zz Yzx > wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:25:29 -0800, Zz Yzx >
> wrote:
>
> >>Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
> >>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
> >>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

> >OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
> >but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
> >brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
> >Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
> >indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected" stamp,
> >but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the box it
> >came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They threw the
> >box out, I dunno'"

> I went to a few markets within an easy travel. Albertsons' had the
> same brand ("Excel") and same packaging, but they were "trimmed" (6-8
> lbs, cap off), and still no indication of grade. So I went back to
> Walmart. OF course, they were sold out and didn't know when they'd
> get more. So I went to the Super Walmart in West Sacramento, got the
> ungraded, untrimmed brisket, 12.5 lbs, $1.67/lb.
>
> I'll bbq it in the rain Saturday. I'll let you all know how it goes.
>
> Again, thanks a heap for all replies and advice,
> -Zz

You'll be fine with that Zz unless you burn it or leave it raw.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jan-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:14:56 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
>
> > Being single, a 15# brisket worth of BBQ will last me many months.

> No longer than a week for the rest of us.
>
> -sw

I still have a little brisket from October of '07. I don't usually cook
less then fifteen pounds or so. I vacuum pack it and it keeps pretty
good. There's just Mrs Curmudgeon I left.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 27, 11:38*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> HEB and Walmart are having a pricing war on briskets. *HEB was
> usually $1.67 and Walmart was $1.69 when I first noticed it. *Now
> they each keep lowering their prices about 4 cents at a time
> until they're currently $1.37/lb at both Walmart and HEB.

I knew something was up. I was in Sam's yesterday to get some spares
and they were back under $2. I was astonished to see whole pork loins
at $1.84 a pound. Me and the missus burn a big loin up in about six
weeks or less. The first cuts are pork chops, and the last 10"-12" is
a left whole to roast.

Nice looking baby backs were $2.99. But I was surprised to see that
brisket had dropped back down to $1.50. It had gone to $1.62, and the
butcher said it was because their brisket sales were in the "off
season". I don't know what that means... I thought anytime you wanted
brisket it was time to smoke one. I may sail over to the market and
see if they have something nice for this Sunday.

Thanks for the heads up.

Robert
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> On 27-Jan-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 23:14:56 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
> >
> > > Being single, a 15# brisket worth of BBQ will last me many months.

> > No longer than a week for the rest of us.
> >
> > -sw

> I still have a little brisket from October of '07. I don't usually cook
> less then fifteen pounds or so. I vacuum pack it and it keeps pretty
> good. There's just Mrs Curmudgeon I left.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

That's generally what I do. If I'm going to tend the smoker all day I
fill it up and then portion, vac pack and freeze for future use.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> Hi again;
>
> OK, I found the full brisket at the local Super Walmart (Dixon, CA,
> the "Gateway to Davis"). It didn't look quite like what I expected,
> but I went to the Virtual Bullet website and confirmed it was what I
> was looking for. There were two, each about 12 lbs or so.
>
> Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
> its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
> but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".
>
> Thanks a heap once more,
> -Zz

I just did a similar brisket from Super Walmart over this past weekend.
Turned out GREAT!!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gil Faver" > wrote in
:

> "Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
>> >Now, the question for the experts out the does it matter whether
>>>its "choice" or "select" grade? I forgot to check when I was there,
>>>but I'm betting Walmart doesn't carry "choice" or "prime".

>> OK, so I called a hoity toidy market in Petaluma (60 miles from me,
>> but I go there often anyways), who can order choice-grade, untrimmed
>> brisket in cryopack, for $4.99/lb. I just went back to the Super
>> Walmart, and the brisket there is $1.67/lb, but there's absolutely no
>> indication of grade on the package. There's a "USDA Inspected"
>> stamp, but no grade. I asked the lady, who said she'd go check the
>> box it came in. She returned a few minutes later and said "They
>> threw the box out, I dunno'".
>>
>> I'm thinking it's utility grade.
>>
>> Any help?

> Grading is optional, so perhaps it was inspected only, and not graded.

Look at a Sams club, onesin vacaville, They usually carry choice beef
and ones here in my area (Tx) carry the cryovac way cheaper than $5 a
lb