Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default duck on the smoker??

thawing a comercial duck(7lbs)--planning on cooking it on the BGE
tomorrow--1st roast duck in about forever--any ideas??

Have one of those chrome thingees to hold a turkeyupright--never have tried
it--maybe put it in a pan so the fat is collected?
Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Jan-2008, "2fatbbq" > wrote:

> thawing a comercial duck(7lbs)--planning on cooking it on the BGE
> tomorrow--1st roast duck in about forever--any ideas??
>
> Have one of those chrome thingees to hold a turkeyupright--never have
> tried
> it--maybe put it in a pan so the fat is collected?
> Buzz

I have a set of those and used to use the chicken one quite often. I
liked it. Nowadays, I either fry chicken pieces or smoke whole birds
in my pit. I haven't used the upright rack for a long time. I like duck
and definitely always recover the fat that drips out. It is rich and tasty,
especially for frying eggs.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

2fatbbq wrote:
> thawing a comercial duck(7lbs)--planning on cooking it on the BGE
> tomorrow--1st roast duck in about forever--any ideas??
>
> Have one of those chrome thingees to hold a turkeyupright--never have tried
> it--maybe put it in a pan so the fat is collected?
> Buzz

While I've never done a duck this way, I have eaten tea-smoked duck -
absolutely great. I would think that a smoke package of wet tea leaves
(possibly one of the smokey teas such as Lapsang Souchong if you can get
it), plus a marinade (brown sugar and soy?) Just some guesses, the
experts will be able to give you some better ideas.

MargW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 26-Jan-2008, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 20:51:19 GMT, Brick wrote:
>
> > I like duck
> > and definitely always recover the fat that drips out. It is rich and
> > tasty,
> > especially for frying eggs.

> I tried to recover the fat from the last duck smoke (after asking
> about it here) and it was completely unusable. The fat had a lot
> of fine smoke/grit particles in it and it didn't taste so good.
>
> It was captured in my ECB water pan, which had water in it at the
> beginning of the smoke, but mostly had evaporated by the time it
> was done.
>
> -sw

I've been caught. I must confess that I haven't captured the fat from
a duck in my smoker, only from the kitchen oven. 'Different rules by
far. I have zero experience with capturing anything from a water pan.
On the other hand, I have a container of duck fat in the frig that is the
bomb for frying eggs.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:59:57 -0600, 2fatbbq wrote:
>
>> thawing a comercial duck(7lbs)--planning on cooking it on the BGE
>> tomorrow--1st roast duck in about forever--any ideas??
>>
>> Have one of those chrome thingees to hold a turkeyupright--never have
>> tried
>> it--maybe put it in a pan so the fat is collected?
>> Buzz

> Don't use the stand. Smoke it for about 4-5 hours at 260F, then
> throw it in the oven at 475F to let the skin crisp up. You
> definitely want to eat the skin on these. Chicken skin isn't as
> important, but duck skin is the shit.
>
> It's better to let the fat sit in the bird cavity, IMO.
> And no, you can't reuse the fat that it excretes. I've tried.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the answers on using the fat---kinda thought that might be the
case---guess will just put it on the egg with some cherry wood then open the
vents towards the end to crisp it up a bit
buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default duck on the smoker--follow up

"2fatbbq" > wrote in message
> thawing a comercial duck(7lbs)--planning on cooking it on the BGE
> tomorrow--1st roast duck in about forever--any ideas??
>
> Have one of those chrome thingees to hold a turkeyupright--never have
> tried it--maybe put it in a pan so the fat is collected?
> Buzz

cooked it on the egg(indirect with a pan) for about 4+hrs at 250° or
so--then threw on a foil bag of cheezy taters--removed pan and opened the
vents--within about 15 min the temp ws over 500°--took the spuds off and let
donald cook for about 15 more min---absolutely great--duck is a do over--imo
anyway

buzz