Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default NBBD no longer supported by Charbroil

The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.

Anyone own one of these and is willing to measure the actual cooking grids?
I am given to understand there are two sets of cooking grids.

Looks like it's welding time.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:46:01 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:
>
>> The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.

> The NBBD is full of vulnerabilities. You have to upgrade to
> Charbroil XP or Charbroil Vista.
>
> -sw

I would recommend strongly staying away from Charbroil Vista. Lot's of
problems dealing with legacy meats.

--
Dave T.

"Many people die at twenty-five and aren't buried
until they are seventy-five".
Benjamin Franklin
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave T. wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:46:01 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:
>>
>>> The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.

>> The NBBD is full of vulnerabilities. You have to upgrade to
>> Charbroil XP or Charbroil Vista.
>>
>> -sw

> I would recommend strongly staying away from Charbroil Vista. Lot's of
> problems dealing with legacy meats.

Not only that, but you will need to use the new Kingsford Nuclear Lump
to power it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> "Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.
>>
>>Anyone own one of these and is willing to measure the actual cooking

> grids?
>
>>I am given to understand there are two sets of cooking grids.

> Here ya go.
>
> Large Racks 15 1/4" X 16"
> Small Racks 10 7/16" X 14 5/16"
>
> MartyB in KC

Thanks, Marty! Owe ya one ..

Grant

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jan-2008, Grant Erwin > wrote:

> The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.
>
> Anyone own one of these and is willing to measure the actual cooking
> grids?
> I am given to understand there are two sets of cooking grids.
>
> Looks like it's welding time.
>
> Grant Erwin
> Kirkland, Washington

I think (thought) that Dana has one. He clued me in initially on how to
adapt the minion method to my offset. I'm not sure that he's cooking
on it anymore, but maybe he still has it holding up his garage or some-
thing.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jan-2008, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 13:46:01 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:
> >
> > > The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.

> > The NBBD is full of vulnerabilities. You have to upgrade to
> > Charbroil XP or Charbroil Vista.

> That would be Char Broil's fault. When the NBBDs were built by the
> original
> company in New Braunfels TX they were pretty sturdy, and even though the
> NBBD had its flaws, it was well built enough to be worth tweaking. My old
> one is made out of steel that would make a truck frame jealous. The new
> ones
> are made from such thin steel they feel like you could twist the whole
> cylinder body out of shape with your bare hands. Personally I don't like
> doing business with big corporations who buy up decent businesses run by
> home town folks just to raid their assets, screw up people's jobs, and
> cheapen and eventually trash the company's products. In other words, screw
> CharBroil. There are many better cookers in their price ranges made by
> decent companies. Just my $2.22.
>
> MartyB in KC

What MartyB said. I have a five year old NB Silver from the original company
in New Braunfels, TX. The presumably similar smoker produced by Charbroil
today is a joke compared to mine. And that's not to say that mine is/was an
expensive smoker. I bought it new for about $175 in may of 2003. I've
overheated it on a few occasions and managed to burn most of the powder
coat off of the firebox, but I'll get around to blasting that down to the
metal
one of these days and recoat it or repaint it. All of the doors fit well. I
can't
see daylight through any of them when they're closed. When I shut it down
the fire goes out right away. It doesn't leak enough to sustain any kind of
combustion.

It isn't a Tejas or a Klose, but it's mine and it's paid for and it works
very
well.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 22, 7:59*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:

>Personally I don't like
> doing business with big corporations who buy up decent businesses run by
> home town folks just to raid their assets, screw up people's jobs, and
> cheapen and eventually trash the company's products. In other words, screw
> CharBroil. There are many better cookers in their price ranges made by
> decent companies. Just my $2.22.

Fear not, Marty. I have it on good authority that the guys (two
brothers) that started the NB pit company have their next endeavor
underway.

In 1997, NB Smokers sold out, and of course had a priviso that the no
longer manufacture pits, in this case for ten years. The company was
sold to Charbroil about five years after that. Their 90,000 ft
manufacturing facility was packed up and moved out of state at that
time, but the non compete clause was still in effect.

EVERYONE around here had a NB product at one time since it was
literally made 30 minutes from my house. You could drive by the
highway on the way to different river/park/fishing/boating/hiking
destinations and the smokers would be lined up on the highway side of
the plant to catch your eye. You could buy one right off the lot if
you wanted.

When they closed it was ugly. People around here were ****ed as they
had heard the "nothing will change" song and dance when they were
purchased in '97. They made nice equipment, and it was affordable,
too. I guess at least the original purchasers kept their word. But
with the loss of jobs, the closing of the plant, and the loss of a
great tradition in affordable bbcue equipment, it really left a sour
taste in the mouth of folks around here.

The Black Diamonds and some of their custom products that didn't go to
the stores were pretty common. So common I didn't get one... sheesh.
You could get them used all over the place, and it was well known that
you could drive up there and get one that was whacked by a forklift,
knocked over and had a bent leg, etc., for a great price.

Now NO ONE sells them around here. They are considered "gold" and
simply never come up for sale.

I had a barrel pit that I bought from them that lasted almost 16 years
of really hard use. It closed like a vault, only leaked a fair amount
of air, but was sturdy enough to burn about 300 lbs of fuel a year.
(It actually used a fair amount of fuel... no matter how good it was,
in the end it was still just a barrel pit!).

It will be interesting to see if the new company takes off and if they
concentrate in making custom smokers (like Klose, etc.) or if they
want to make a line of affordable quality grills/pits, more along the
line of Chargriller.

My contact on this actually works at a barbecue store and they sell
mostly propane cookers. He got the buzz on this because apparently
the boys in NB were making a few inquiries as to interest and it got
everyone around here excited.

I will be glad to post any news here if the can get it going.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 22-Jan-2008, Grant Erwin > wrote:
>
>> The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.
>>
>> Anyone own one of these and is willing to measure the actual cooking
>> grids?

> I think (thought) that Dana has one. He clued me in initially on how to
> adapt the minion method to my offset. I'm not sure that he's cooking
> on it anymore, but maybe he still has it holding up his garage or some-
> thing.

I do still have a Silver Smoker, though it's not in regular use since
I set up a WSM with a DigiQ. It sounds like Grant got his measurements
already, though - if not, I can go measure mine.

Cheers,
Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> I think (thought) that Dana has one. He clued me in initially on how to
>> adapt the minion method to my offset. I'm not sure that he's cooking
>> on it anymore, but maybe he still has it holding up his garage or some-
>> thing.

> I do still have a Silver Smoker, though it's not in regular use since
> I set up a WSM with a DigiQ. It sounds like Grant got his measurements
> already, though - if not, I can go measure mine.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

I did, thanks. Gotta ask - remember, I'm new here - what's a DigiQ?

Grant

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://tinyurl.com/2amsqr

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:

>> I do still have a Silver Smoker, though it's not in regular use since
>> I set up a WSM with a DigiQ. It sounds like Grant got his measurements
>> already, though - if not, I can go measure mine.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dana

> I did, thanks. Gotta ask - remember, I'm new here - what's a DigiQ?

DigiQ is basically a thermostat for a smoker. Dave kindly sent
a link in another note, but, to summarize, the DigiQ is a little
fan that forces a draft into a cooker when the temperature is too
low. You basically load your cooker with fuel, perhaps a lot for a
long cook, and use a propane torch to get one piece of fuel going.

The DigiQ takes over and you can basically ignore the cooker until
the food is done. The WSM is already very easy to manage, this just
makes it an oven. Some might say this is cheating, but the novelty
does not wear off. A WSM with sand in the water pan, loaded with
two chimney-loads of Original Charcoal Co. Rancher lump briquettes
will go for at least 12 hours at 250F this way, rock steady. It
makes doing overnight cooks pretty easy/reliable.

Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Jan-2008, " > wrote:

> On Jan 22, 7:59*pm, "Nunya Bidnits" > wrote:
>
> >Personally I don't like
> > doing business with big corporations who buy up decent businesses run by
> > home town folks just to raid their assets, screw up people's jobs, and
> > cheapen and eventually trash the company's products. In other words,
> > screw
> > CharBroil. There are many better cookers in their price ranges made by
> > decent companies. Just my $2.22.

> Fear not, Marty. I have it on good authority that the guys (two
> brothers) that started the NB pit company have their next endeavor
> underway.

<major snippage>

> I will be glad to post any news here if the can get it going.
>
> Robert

Thanks for the heads up Robert. I sure hope they go back to doing
something like they were doing before. Tejas a Klose can provide
the next higher line of pits. But none of the stores around here have
anything to equal the old line of NB pits. The only thing I see is
a Chargriller (I think) that you can get a firebox for and turn it into
an offset. They look okay, but not as good as my NB Silver or a
Black Diamond.

Now, I need to get my sandblaster out and get my NBS cleaned up.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Jan-2008, Dana Myers > wrote:

> Brick wrote:
> > On 22-Jan-2008, Grant Erwin > wrote:
> >
> >> The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.
> >>
> >> Anyone own one of these and is willing to measure the actual cooking
> >> grids?

> > I think (thought) that Dana has one. He clued me in initially on how to
> > adapt the minion method to my offset. I'm not sure that he's cooking
> > on it anymore, but maybe he still has it holding up his garage or some-
> > thing.

> I do still have a Silver Smoker, though it's not in regular use since
> I set up a WSM with a DigiQ. It sounds like Grant got his measurements
> already, though - if not, I can go measure mine.
>
> Cheers,
> Dana

My bad. I though you had a Black Diamond Dana. I also have a Silver Smoker.
Methinks the grates are different sizes then the Black Diamond. The BD is
nearly twice as large as the Silver.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message

> On 22-Jan-2008, Grant Erwin > wrote:
>
> > The New Braunfels Black Diamond isn't supported by Charbroil anymore.
> >
> > Anyone own one of these and is willing to measure the actual cooking
> > grids?
> > I am given to understand there are two sets of cooking grids.
> >
> > Looks like it's welding time.
> >
> > Grant Erwin
> > Kirkland, Washington

> I think (thought) that Dana has one. He clued me in initially on how to
> adapt the minion method to my offset. I'm not sure that he's cooking
> on it anymore, but maybe he still has it holding up his garage or some-
> thing.
>
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

I have a NBBD and a Grill Dome ceramic. I use the NBBD for ribs(because
they taste better) and the dome for everything else. Both sit out in the
weather. The NBBD doesn't have any paint left on it and it's frame is
sitting on 2x4s because of rotted legs, but it's a thing of beauty when ribs
are involved.

CSA, Community Supported Agriculture/Victory Garden Woolstitcher General Cooking 9 08-04-2008 12:12 AM
NBBD mod question Grant Erwin Barbecue 6 20-01-2008 05:04 AM
NBBD Restoration BKahuna Barbecue 9 19-09-2004 10:02 PM
NBBD Restoration BKahuna Barbecue 0 16-09-2004 04:15 PM
NBBD vs WSM Mike McCauley Barbecue 9 22-04-2004 03:59 AM