Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default nother newbie NBBD question

I am now the owner of a genuine New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker. Well,
of course, it isn't used. The shell is in good condition, as are the legs,
wheels, stack and cover. But the thing is empty. No grills, no firebox
innards, nada.

I can make stuff pretty readily, but in this case I'd hoped to see what
they started with. Hence, questions:

Is there just one layer of grill inside the smoke box? (No warming rack
up above?)

Anyone have pictures of the inside of one of these?

Thanks!

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> I am now the owner of a genuine New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker.
> Well, of course, it isn't used. The shell is in good condition, as
> are the legs, wheels, stack and cover. But the thing is empty. No
> grills, no firebox innards, nada.
>
> I can make stuff pretty readily, but in this case I'd hoped to see
> what they started with. Hence, questions:
>
> Is there just one layer of grill inside the smoke box? (No warming
> rack up above?)

I've never seen one. I don't know how a warming rack would work for the
food, though, given the amount of smoke exposure.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dave Bugg wrote:

> Grant Erwin wrote:
>
>>I am now the owner of a genuine New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker.
>>Well, of course, it isn't used. The shell is in good condition, as
>>are the legs, wheels, stack and cover. But the thing is empty. No
>>grills, no firebox innards, nada.
>>
>>I can make stuff pretty readily, but in this case I'd hoped to see
>>what they started with. Hence, questions:
>>
>>Is there just one layer of grill inside the smoke box? (No warming
>>rack up above?)

> I've never seen one. I don't know how a warming rack would work for the
> food, though, given the amount of smoke exposure.

My experience with smokers is that an upper rack can be used to hold
small pans of jalapenos, peeled garlic and the like. The pit boss of
one local place told me I had to try peeled garlic put in a small oven
pan and smoked for about 3 hours. He said it melted down into a brownish
goo which was absolutely killer spread on bread.

Grant

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:

> I am now the owner of a genuine New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker. Well,
> of course, it isn't used. The shell is in good condition, as are the legs,
> wheels, stack and cover. But the thing is empty. No grills, no firebox
> innards, nada.
>
> I can make stuff pretty readily, but in this case I'd hoped to see what
> they started with. Hence, questions:
>
> Is there just one layer of grill inside the smoke box? (No warming rack
> up above?)
>
> Anyone have pictures of the inside of one of these?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Grant Erwin
> Kirkland, Washington

You should be able to find an assembly guide to match it he
http://www.charbroil.com

Only one level of grid in the smoke chamber.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>
>>Grant Erwin wrote:
>>
>>>I am now the owner of a genuine New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker.

>>You should be able to find an assembly guide to match it he
>>http://www.charbroil.com
>>
>>Only one level of grid in the smoke chamber.

> Mine came with two different sets of 3 grills. A smaller set, porcelain
> coated, and a larger set, black steel. One of the porcelains is supposed to
> go in bottom of the firebox to support the heat source up off of the bottom
> of the firebox. The other two can be used as lower racks in the cooking
> chamber, or turned 90 degrees they will sit high in the firebox above the
> fire to be used as a grill. In actual practice, the firebox makes a crappy
> grill no matter how you do it. However both sets of racks are rectangular,
> designed so that when turned 90 degrees each sits at a different height in
> the cook chamber. You can also rotate the lower grid in the firebox to raise
> or lower the fire height. So you can adjust things if you get rectangular
> racks. BTW forget the porcelain coating in the lower firebox rack that
> supports the fire, the porcelain will be killed and fall off in short order.
>
> Note that my NBBD was acquired before NB was bought up.
>
> You should also have in the firebox a curved metal plate of the same radius
> and length as the firebox that nests in the firebox floor, same thickness of
> steel as the body of the smoker and sized to be about 1/4 of the total
> circumference of the firebox. This nesting plate is to help protect the
> outer shell of the steel firebox from rust through by basically doubling the
> thickness of the bottom of the firebox, since ash and moisture are very
> corrosive.
>
> Note that this stuff may not be true for newer models. If you have an older
> one and don't find both sets of grill dimensions, let me know and I will go
> out and measure mine for you.
>
> MartyB in KC

Thanks, Marty. I do have the curved metal ash shield, and I do actually
have some of the lower grates, don't know if they are original equipment
or not. I will call Charbroil tomorrow to see if they can still source
the original (odd sized) cooking grids and lower grates. If they can't,
I may ask you for some dimensions and make my own.

Grant Erwin

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
NBBD mod question Grant Erwin Barbecue 6 20-01-2008 04:04 AM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie question Alfonse Winemaking 2 16-03-2004 11:50 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 07:48 PM