Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default what happens to all the grease?

I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens to
all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
pure fat.

Just a'learnin about smokers ..

GWE
up in the rainy part (Seattle)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:

> I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
> http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
> which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens to
> all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
> pure fat.
>
> Just a'learnin about smokers ..
>
> GWE
> up in the rainy part (Seattle)

Good question. I put a plastic dry cat food jug under my smoker to
collect the drippings. When it's sufficiently full, or stinks, I cap it
and put it out with my regular garbage. Don't know what happens to it
after that. Perhaps I should find a way to burn it in a generator or
furnace or something.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 17, 10:38*pm, Grant Erwin > wrote:
> What happens to
> all the grease?

My dog laps it up. I have a spigot & drain thing on mine and the dog's
all over it if I drain it onto the ground.

Fat's supposed to be good for a dogs skin too.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's
> picture http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
> which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What
> happens to all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least
> 2-3 cups of pure fat.
>
> Just a'learnin about smokers ..

The grease falls to the bottom of the pit and is channeled to a hole where a
big container catches the offal. It's likely that when the container is near
full it is dumped outside into a dumpster-like container that is used to
hold all the disposed of restaurant greases and oils. When that container
gets full, a rendering plant will send a truck to empty it out.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pete C. wrote:
> Grant Erwin wrote:
>
>>I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
>>http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
>>which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens to
>>all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
>>pure fat.
>>
>>Just a'learnin about smokers ..
>>
>>GWE
>>up in the rainy part (Seattle)
>>
>>--

> Good question. I put a plastic dry cat food jug under my smoker to
> collect the drippings. When it's sufficiently full, or stinks, I cap it
> and put it out with my regular garbage. Don't know what happens to it
> after that. Perhaps I should find a way to burn it in a generator or
> furnace or something.

So I take it there's a hole in the bottom of your smoker?

GWE

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 18-Jan-2008, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:

> Grant Erwin wrote:
> > I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's
> > picture http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
> > which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What
> > happens to all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least
> > 2-3 cups of pure fat.
> >
> > Just a'learnin about smokers ..

> The grease falls to the bottom of the pit and is channeled to a hole where
> big container catches the offal. It's likely that when the container is
> near
> full it is dumped outside into a dumpster-like container that is used to
> hold all the disposed of restaurant greases and oils. When that container
> gets full, a rendering plant will send a truck to empty it out.
> --
> Dave

I've been waiting for a sensible response to the OP because he provided
a link to a commercial type smoker that is bound to produce great quantities
of grease. I'm not bound by restaurant law so my handling of grease runoff
don't count. But, FWIW my offset drains through a hole in the bottom at
the end opposite the firebox. I have a 2 qt bucket hanging under the hole to
catch the runoff. When it gets pretty full, I empty it into a #10 steel can
with
a plastic lid. I collect said cans from BBQ pit and kitchen until the first
saturday of each month and then carry it all to the county recycle and
hazardous waste collection yard which happens to be right across the road
from my trailer park A couple of times a year, I remove all the grates from
my cooker and scrape out all the major residue. (I don't ever wash it). I
tried cleaning the grates once in my self cleaning oven. That was a mistake.
The fumes generated damn near killed the cat. I have a gas grill now and
use that as the self cleaner.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:

> Pete C. wrote:
> > Grant Erwin wrote:
> >
> >>I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
> >>http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
> >>which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens to
> >>all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
> >>pure fat.
> >>
> >>Just a'learnin about smokers ..
> >>
> >>GWE
> >>up in the rainy part (Seattle)
> >>
> >>--

> > Good question. I put a plastic dry cat food jug under my smoker to
> > collect the drippings. When it's sufficiently full, or stinks, I cap it
> > and put it out with my regular garbage. Don't know what happens to it
> > after that. Perhaps I should find a way to burn it in a generator or
> > furnace or something.

> So I take it there's a hole in the bottom of your smoker?

Yes, a small drain hole to one end. The kind where they usually give you
a hanger for a soup can which is hopelessly inadequate for the drippings
from a 16# brisket and a couple racks of spare ribs. The big Pro-Plan
dry cat food jug sitting on the platform below is vastly better.

This is a basic Char-Broil horizontal offset smoker with some of the
mods from the BBQ FAQ like a couple concrete blocks wrapped in AL foil
in the bottom of the smoker chamber for thermal mass, the extended smoke
outlet chimney down to the grate and a sheet metal heat deflector next
to the firebox opening to deflect the direct radiant heat from
overcooking the food at that end.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
<snip>
> I have a gas grill now and use that as the self cleaner.

Damn! Good idea Brick, thanks!

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Grant Erwin wrote:
> I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
> http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
> which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens to
> all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
> pure fat.
>
> Just a'learnin about smokers ..
>
> GWE
> up in the rainy part (Seattle)

I send mine to a buddy who has a biodiesel processor. Just for grins once
we processed 15 gallons of pit drippings into biodiesel and I swear the
smell coming out of my Mercedes' tailpipe had a smoky aroma that kinda
makes your mouth water.

JD
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 19, 7:37*am, JD > wrote:
> Grant Erwin wrote:
> > I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
> >http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
> > which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens to
> > all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
> > pure fat.

> > Just a'learnin about smokers ..

> > GWE
> > up in the rainy part (Seattle)

> I send mine to a buddy who has a biodiesel processor. Just for grins once
> we processed 15 gallons of pit drippings into biodiesel and I swear the
> smell coming out of my Mercedes' tailpipe had a smoky aroma that kinda
> makes your mouth water.
>
> JD

I beleive it, there seems to be a definite difference between bio
exhaust smells depending on source.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:50:44 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> >This is a basic Char-Broil horizontal offset smoker with some of the
> >mods from the BBQ FAQ like a couple concrete blocks wrapped in AL foil
> >in the bottom of the smoker chamber for thermal mass, the extended smoke
> >outlet chimney down to the grate and a sheet metal heat deflector next
> >to the firebox opening to deflect the direct radiant heat from
> >overcooking the food at that end.

> Q(uestion) for ya, Pete.
> Would firebricks be as effective (or more effective) than the concrete
> blocks? Firebricks I have easy access to, since I work in a
> stove/fireplace factory.

Pretty much the same I'd think. Temps are nowhere near high enough to
require fire brick, and you wrap them in foil so they don't absorb
grease, so most any masonry will provide good thermal mass. I just used
the 4x8x16 solid concrete blocks since I had them on hand and two fill
the bottom of the smoke box well.

> How's that Char-Broil unit with regard to leakiness? I gather a lot
> of the (newer, anyway) ones have a lot of gaps & cracks. If I go that
> way, I 'spect I'll be using some hi-temperature caulk, or taking it to
> work for to visit a welder.

I don't see much of any issue, since the smoke only seems to come out
the stack where it should. If it was an issue I'd wax or otherwise mask
the smoker drum around the doors so it's non stick, apply a thick bead
of the red RTV gasket maker to the door perimeter and then close the
doors to let the RTV set. That should make a pretty much perfect gasket
and the smoke box temps don't get that high so the red RTV should be
fine.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JD wrote:
> Grant Erwin wrote:
>> I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's
>> picture http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
>> which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What
>> happens to all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at
>> least 2-3 cups of pure fat.
>>
>> Just a'learnin about smokers ..
>>
>> GWE
>> up in the rainy part (Seattle)

> I send mine to a buddy who has a biodiesel processor. Just for grins
> once we processed 15 gallons of pit drippings into biodiesel and I
> swear the smell coming out of my Mercedes' tailpipe had a smoky aroma
> that kinda makes your mouth water.

Righteous!! <nodding head>
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 12:59:01 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> >Denny Wheeler wrote:

> >> Q(uestion) for ya, Pete.
> >> Would firebricks be as effective (or more effective) than the concrete
> >> blocks? Firebricks I have easy access to, since I work in a
> >> stove/fireplace factory.

> >Pretty much the same I'd think. Temps are nowhere near high enough to
> >require fire brick, and you wrap them in foil so they don't absorb
> >grease, so most any masonry will provide good thermal mass. I just used
> >the 4x8x16 solid concrete blocks since I had them on hand and two fill
> >the bottom of the smoke box well.

> I was thinking that the firebricks are more dense, so would be more
> thermal mass for a given volume. And of course, they're smaller, so
> could be fit into tighter spaces.

Might be a little more thermal mass, but either is vastly more than the
empty steel drum you're starting with and really help stabilize the
temps. Space really isn't an issue, since you're just filling some of
the space below the food grates, without touching the bottom and
blocking the flow of drippings to the outlet hole.

> >> How's that Char-Broil unit with regard to leakiness? I gather a lot
> >> of the (newer, anyway) ones have a lot of gaps & cracks. If I go that
> >> way, I 'spect I'll be using some hi-temperature caulk, or taking it to
> >> work for to visit a welder.

> >I don't see much of any issue, since the smoke only seems to come out
> >the stack where it should. If it was an issue I'd wax or otherwise mask
> >the smoker drum around the doors so it's non stick, apply a thick bead
> >of the red RTV gasket maker to the door perimeter and then close the
> >doors to let the RTV set. That should make a pretty much perfect gasket
> >and the smoke box temps don't get that high so the red RTV should be
> >fine.

> IIRC, what we use at work is black, but somewhat RTV-ish. Good to
> hear that your pit doesn't seem to have the leak problems I've read
> about some having.

If it can handle ~300 degrees it should be just fine, but again you may
not need it anyway.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19-Jan-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:50:44 -0600, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>
> >This is a basic Char-Broil horizontal offset smoker with some of the
> >mods from the BBQ FAQ like a couple concrete blocks wrapped in AL foil
> >in the bottom of the smoker chamber for thermal mass, the extended smoke
> >outlet chimney down to the grate and a sheet metal heat deflector next
> >to the firebox opening to deflect the direct radiant heat from
> >overcooking the food at that end.

> Q(uestion) for ya, Pete.
> Would firebricks be as effective (or more effective) than the concrete
> blocks? Firebricks I have easy access to, since I work in a
> stove/fireplace factory.
>
> How's that Char-Broil unit with regard to leakiness? I gather a lot
> of the (newer, anyway) ones have a lot of gaps & cracks. If I go that
> way, I 'spect I'll be using some hi-temperature caulk, or taking it to
> work for to visit a welder.

FWIW I have the original Silver Smoker from NB. Having looked at
several of the latest Silver Smokers from Charbroil via my friendly HD
store I vow there's nothing wrong with them that a good autobody man
couldn't remedy. Considering what autobody work costs it wouldn't be
worth it unless you can pay it out in product after the fact. Frankly I
wouldn't encourage Charbroil to continue manufacturing junk by buying
their product. With just a little quality control during manufacture they
could be selling a quality product.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:

> On 19-Jan-2008, Denny Wheeler > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:50:44 -0600, "Pete C." >
> > wrote:
> >
> > >This is a basic Char-Broil horizontal offset smoker with some of the
> > >mods from the BBQ FAQ like a couple concrete blocks wrapped in AL foil
> > >in the bottom of the smoker chamber for thermal mass, the extended smoke
> > >outlet chimney down to the grate and a sheet metal heat deflector next
> > >to the firebox opening to deflect the direct radiant heat from
> > >overcooking the food at that end.

> > Q(uestion) for ya, Pete.
> > Would firebricks be as effective (or more effective) than the concrete
> > blocks? Firebricks I have easy access to, since I work in a
> > stove/fireplace factory.
> >
> > How's that Char-Broil unit with regard to leakiness? I gather a lot
> > of the (newer, anyway) ones have a lot of gaps & cracks. If I go that
> > way, I 'spect I'll be using some hi-temperature caulk, or taking it to
> > work for to visit a welder.

> FWIW I have the original Silver Smoker from NB. Having looked at
> several of the latest Silver Smokers from Charbroil via my friendly HD
> store I vow there's nothing wrong with them that a good autobody man
> couldn't remedy. Considering what autobody work costs it wouldn't be
> worth it unless you can pay it out in product after the fact. Frankly I
> wouldn't encourage Charbroil to continue manufacturing junk by buying
> their product. With just a little quality control during manufacture they
> could be selling a quality product.
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Huh, well I guess I got a good one.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
vex vex is offline

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> How's that Char-Broil unit with regard to leakiness? I gather a lot
> of the (newer, anyway) ones have a lot of gaps & cracks. If I go that
> way, I 'spect I'll be using some hi-temperature caulk, or taking it to
> work for to visit a welder.

My CoS CharBroil leaks like a Mo-Fo, but as long as I pay attention, and
feed it when needed, it performs nicely. I've done the chimney mod and the
firebox deflector mod, and am thinking about throwing a blanket over just to
see how things work out, but it seems to be pretty efficient in the charcoal
burning department, but since it's my first 'Q machine, I don't have much to
compare it against. All I know is that my friends have said it's turned out
some great product.

BTW, Superbowl Herf* this year will add some pulled pork and either brisket
or ribs to it's menu.

*Herf:
http://www.cigargroup.com/faq/

Yes, everyone is invited, just give me an RSVP. Superbowl herf is a bunch of
folks, bbq, cigars, home crafted beers, big screen televisions, tail gates,
potluck, and great conversation. If you're in the area (paging Denny) come
on by for a visit!

--Brett
Still looking for a couple more bags of lump

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:38:27 -0800, Grant Erwin
> > wrote:
>
>>I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
>>http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
>>which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens
>>all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
>>pure fat.
>>
>>Just a'learnin about smokers ..
>>
>>GWE
>>up in the rainy part (Seattle)

> Hiya, Grant--I'm just a bit north of you, in the convergence zone.
> (SW Everett, and I work in Mukilteo)
>
> Welcome!

Hey from Whidbey Island

> As to 'where does the grease go'--I've never had anything close to 2 cups
> of fat render
> out of a turkey, whether I was smoking it or oven-roasting. Even a
> Butterball.
> (kinda ****ed me off, too, cos I was making gravy)
> In my bullet, the fat from whatever (usually ribs or butt) goes into the
> foil I have
> covering the sand in my 'water pan'.
>

> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Grant Erwin" > wrote in message
.. .
>I know this question shows my newness, but when I look at Danny's picture
> http://www.dannysbbq.com/images/turkey11200401.jpg
> which shows a big smoker full of holiday turkeys, I wonder. What happens
> all the grease? Each one of those birds must emit at least 2-3 cups of
> pure fat.
>
> Just a'learnin about smokers ..
>
> GWE
> up in the rainy part (Seattle)

Sorry to be so late on this.
I have cooked on that pit. Well actually I built the fire up and loaded
the meat in the pit a couple three mornings awhile back.
The pit is an Oyler.
Danny's is closed on Tuesdays, butt this morning it is cooking a hundred
slabs of ribs.
As for the grease it collects in the bottom of the pit. Each night at
closing the grease is drained and taken out to a tank. When the tank is
getting full a truck comes by and pumps the grease out and hauls it to a
processing facility.
I don't know what happens to Danny's grease but mine, when I had my BBQ
place was used to make pet foods and whatever.
Years ago the grease people paid you for your old grease, now you pay them
to pick it up. Something like $200.00 - $300.00 a year depending on how many
pick ups you need.
They furnish the tank.

--
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten

www.lazyq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:48:17 -0800, "Mike"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:38:27 -0800, Grant Erwin

>>> Hiya, Grant--I'm just a bit north of you, in the convergence zone.
>>> (SW Everett, and I work in Mukilteo)
>>>
>>> Welcome!

>> Hey from Whidbey Island

> Hmmm. We got a fair number around here. Me, Grant, you, vex (iirc,
> is in Burlington)--there's at least two other afb'ers in the Seattle
> area. And of course, just the other side of Stevens Pass is
> Wenatchee. Which is where Dave Bugg can be found.

And me! Upriver with Texas-made Bandera. Fosco's in Seattle (Auburn).

--
Saara
http://skagitfoodshed.wordpress.com/
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Saara wrote:
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:48:17 -0800, "Mike"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in
>>> message ...

>>> Hey from Whidbey Island

>> Hmmm. We got a fair number around here. Me, Grant, you, vex (iirc,
>> is in Burlington)--there's at least two other afb'ers in the Seattle
>> area. And of course, just the other side of Stevens Pass is
>> Wenatchee. Which is where Dave Bugg can be found.

> And me! Upriver with Texas-made Bandera. Fosco's in Seattle (Auburn).

I'm in Granite Falls

JD

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:48:17 -0800, "Mike"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:38:27 -0800, Grant Erwin

>>> Hiya, Grant--I'm just a bit north of you, in the convergence zone.
>>> (SW Everett, and I work in Mukilteo)
>>>
>>> Welcome!

>> Hey from Whidbey Island

> Hmmm. We got a fair number around here. Me, Grant, you, vex (iirc,
> is in Burlington)--there's at least two other afb'ers in the Seattle
> area. And of course, just the other side of Stevens Pass is
> Wenatchee. Which is where Dave Bugg can be found.

<raising hand> Whatcom county checking in.

Brian
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"JD" > wrote in message
. ..

> Saara wrote:
>> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>>> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 19:48:17 -0800, "Mike"

>>> Hmmm. We got a fair number around here. Me, Grant, you, vex (iirc,
>>> is in Burlington)--there's at least two other afb'ers in the Seattle
>>> area. And of course, just the other side of Stevens Pass is
>>> Wenatchee. Which is where Dave Bugg can be found.

>> And me! Upriver with Texas-made Bandera. Fosco's in Seattle (Auburn).
>>

> I'm in Granite Falls
>
> JD

I worked with a framer named Dewey from there, Do you know him?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Ah, yes. IIRC, 'twas you who first told me about the Ranch House BBQ.

That the one on Capitol Way in Olympia? http://www.ranchhousebbq.net

Grant