Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Question on BBQ Rubs

I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
The trouble with political jokes is,
they get elected.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
> taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
> recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?
>
> TIA

Pulls moisture and proteins to the surface, forming a seal, which
supposedly keeps moisture in the meat.
(I don't know how well this works in actual practice. My rubs don't
contain near the salt most others do.) My Q is moist, without it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
> taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
> recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?

It's just a personal taste thing, Wayne. For me, since the bark of a pork
shoulder or butt is being mixed into the total mass of meat, I want enough
salt and other spices in the rub to give a bit of extra flavor. When the rub
is applied, not much actually coats the meat.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
>I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
> taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
> recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?
>
> TIA

Rubs are no different than other foods we eat. The American taste buds have
been taught that salt is good from an early age and we demand lots of it in
many of our foods. People think it is normal and needed. If you stop using
salt, there is a one or two week period of withdrawal and they you learn how
good food can taste on its own.

On a more positive side, I do use some salt in rubs. It has the ability to
mix with the other spices and helps to distribute them over the meat. I
probably use a quarter of what most recipes call for.

When you get to commercial products, salt is there for another reason.
Cost. You can make a hefty feeling container of rub and sell it at an
attractive price if you load it up with cheap salt.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright"
> >I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
> > taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
> > recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?

<snip a lil>
> On a more positive side, I do use some salt in rubs. It has the ability to
> mix with the other spices and helps to distribute them over the meat. I
> probably use a quarter of what most recipes call for.

<snip rest> I usually let meat sit rubbed for a day or so if I
can,hence,using it as a dry marinade.I then apply more dry rub right
before smoking. I think salt in the rub helps 'loosen up' the outside of
the meat and aids in bark formation when you cook it. I probably use 2-3
Ts worth of kosher salt to rub down one 7-8 lb butt. That is a pretty
darn salty rub when you taste it right outta the shaker,but that's about
all of the seasoning that whole lump of meat gets.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue 15 Jan 2008 05:55:55a, Shawn Martin told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
>> taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
>> recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Pulls moisture and proteins to the surface, forming a seal, which
> supposedly keeps moisture in the meat.
> (I don't know how well this works in actual practice. My rubs don't
> contain near the salt most others do.) My Q is moist, without it.

Mostly I do ribs. Perhaps it's the different ratio of rub to meat compared
to using it on a butt or brisket that seems to make the salt so prominent.

Thanks Shawn...

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
God does not play dice. (Albert Einstein)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue 15 Jan 2008 11:48:35a, Dave Bugg told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
>> taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
>> recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?

> It's just a personal taste thing, Wayne. For me, since the bark of a
> pork shoulder or butt is being mixed into the total mass of meat, I want
> enough salt and other spices in the rub to give a bit of extra flavor.
> When the rub is applied, not much actually coats the meat.

That would make perfect sense, Dave. Since I do mostly ribs and they are
not chopped up and surface and inside mixed together, this is probably why
the salt seems so prominent.

I'm sure I would find it different if I were doing a butt or brisket.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Censorship sucks is for your own good.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue 15 Jan 2008 07:42:29p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>>I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
>> taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
>> recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Rubs are no different than other foods we eat. The American taste buds
> have been taught that salt is good from an early age and we demand lots
> of it in many of our foods. People think it is normal and needed. If
> you stop using salt, there is a one or two week period of withdrawal and
> they you learn how good food can taste on its own.
>
> On a more positive side, I do use some salt in rubs. It has the ability
> to mix with the other spices and helps to distribute them over the meat.
> I probably use a quarter of what most recipes call for.

That's reenforcing, Ed. Reducing the salt to a quarter of the amount is
about what I've been doing to get it to a taste that I like.

> When you get to commercial products, salt is there for another reason.
> Cost. You can make a hefty feeling container of rub and sell it at an
> attractive price if you load it up with cheap salt.

That's or sure!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Censorship sucks is for your own good.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue 15 Jan 2008 08:21:34p, monroe, of course told us...

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright"
>> >I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
>> > taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
>> > recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?
>> >

> <snip a lil>
>> On a more positive side, I do use some salt in rubs. It has the
>> ability to mix with the other spices and helps to distribute them over
>> the meat. I probably use a quarter of what most recipes call for.
>>

> <snip rest> I usually let meat sit rubbed for a day or so if I
> can,hence,using it as a dry marinade.I then apply more dry rub right
> before smoking. I think salt in the rub helps 'loosen up' the outside of
> the meat and aids in bark formation when you cook it. I probably use 2-3
> Ts worth of kosher salt to rub down one 7-8 lb butt. That is a pretty
> darn salty rub when you taste it right outta the shaker,but that's about
> all of the seasoning that whole lump of meat gets.

I would agree. As I posted in reply upthread, I do mostly ribs and the
ratio of rub to meat is significantly different than a large chunk of meat,
especially when the chunk is usually being chopped, pulled, etc., and the
whole lot mixed up together after finishing in the Q.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
Censorship sucks is for your own good.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 16, 8:54*am, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Tue 15 Jan 2008 07:42:29p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

I think that most regulars here make their own rubs from whatever is
handy at the time and what they feel like at the moment. Myself for
ribs I just use salt and pepper. Keeps it simple and you can taste
more of the meat.
For butts I'll add more stuff like onion or garlic salt and just
about anything red (cayenne, chile powder, paprika ) and some brown
sugar. I'm convinced the brown sugar helps the developement of bark.

Even if it don't, the bit of sweetness with smokey pork is a nice
thing.

K.I.S.S.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed 16 Jan 2008 12:33:47p, Tutall told us...

> On Jan 16, 8:54*am, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>> On Tue 15 Jan 2008 07:42:29p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> I think that most regulars here make their own rubs from whatever is
> handy at the time and what they feel like at the moment. Myself for
> ribs I just use salt and pepper. Keeps it simple and you can taste
> more of the meat.
> For butts I'll add more stuff like onion or garlic salt and just
> about anything red (cayenne, chile powder, paprika ) and some brown
> sugar. I'm convinced the brown sugar helps the developement of bark.
>
> Even if it don't, the bit of sweetness with smokey pork is a nice
> thing.
>
> K.I.S.S.

Thanks for your response...

I've only used one commercial BBQ rub and didn't like it. Since then I've
made my own, but have often tried rub recipes I've found on the web. Even
in the majority of those I find the salt excessive and have moderated the
salt down a few notches.

I like my ribs spicy and dry, and since I don't like barbecue sauce, the
spiciness has to come from the rub. I also like a bit of sweetness and use
brown sugar. I also use a wash of water, white vinegar, red pepper flakes,
and a bit of sugar periodically through the process.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)
'Justice isn't blind...she's
cross-eyed!'--Yakko Warner

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 15 Jan 2008 11:48:35a, Dave Bugg told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for
>>> my taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with
>>> some recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?

>> It's just a personal taste thing, Wayne. For me, since the bark of a
>> pork shoulder or butt is being mixed into the total mass of meat, I
>> want enough salt and other spices in the rub to give a bit of extra
>> flavor. When the rub is applied, not much actually coats the meat.
>>

> That would make perfect sense, Dave. Since I do mostly ribs and they
> are not chopped up and surface and inside mixed together, this is
> probably why the salt seems so prominent.
>
> I'm sure I would find it different if I were doing a butt or brisket.

Absolutely. What I use for ribs and chicken is different that what I use for
pork.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu 17 Jan 2008 08:24:32p, Denny Wheeler told us...

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:05:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I like my ribs spicy and dry, and since I don't like barbecue sauce, the
>>spiciness has to come from the rub. I also like a bit of sweetness and
>>use brown sugar. I also use a wash of water, white vinegar, red pepper
>>flakes, and a bit of sugar periodically through the process.

> You'd probably like Danny Gaulden's Rib Rub, Wayne. If you've not
> tried it, it's pretty simple (I use it on ribs, butts, and chicken)
>
> (copied from Danny's site: http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57
> )
> ***************
> Ribs - Danny's Pork Spare Rib Rub & Finishing Sauce
>
> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
> 1 tablespoon onion powder
> 2 tablespoons salt
> 1 tablespoon cayenne
> 1 tablespoon black pepper
> 1 tablespoon white pepper
> 1/2 cup paprika
> 1 cup brown sugar
> ***FINISHING SAUCE***
> 1/4 cup vinegar
> 1/4 cup mustard
> 1/3 cup brown sugar
>
> This may be a little hot for some folks, so one may want to reduce the
> cayenne a little...but that's the way they like'em out here. I believe
> the brown sugar is a must, and when it caramelizes, it produces that
> rich dark cherry-red color, plus it tastes good! After the ribs come
> off the pit, baste them with a quick coat of an old Southern recipe
> for finishing sauce for an added deeper, richer, cherry appearance,
> and flavor. Sauce should be more on the thick side, than thin. Apply
> with a pastry brush 2 or 3 inches wide. Must be brushed on AS SOON as
> the ribs come off the pit, not even 2 min. later...immediately. This
> lets it burn in, and will give them a shinny, glazed appearance, and
> turns them into an even deeper cherry-red color. I love that color. If
> the color is not deep enough, add more brown sugar.
> Posted to the BBQ List in Nov. 1998 by Rock McNelly - - - - - - - -- -
> - - - - - - - -
> NOTE - Danny updated his glaze to be 1/4 cup mustand, 1/4 - 1/3 cup
> vinegar, and 1 cup brown sugar.
> ***************
>
> I tend to put the finishing sauce on for the last 5 min or so in the
> pit. I'm a wimp wrt spicy, so I cut the cayenne down, but from what
> you say, you might conceivably raise the level of it.
>

> "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> winds up persecuting someone else."
> -Philip Pullman
> --
> -denny-
> (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

Denny, this looks great! Thanks... I will definitely give it a try for my
next rack or two.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 01(I)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must knock pennies off the
nightstand at 3 am in order to get
Mom's attention.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 17, 7:52*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Thu 17 Jan 2008 08:24:32p, Denny Wheeler told us...
>

> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:05:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:

> >>I like my ribs spicy and dry, and since I don't like barbecue sauce, the
> >>spiciness has to come from the rub. *I also like a bit of sweetness and
> >>use brown sugar. *I also use a wash of water, white vinegar, red pepper
> >>flakes, and a bit of sugar periodically through the process.

> > You'd probably like Danny Gaulden's Rib Rub, Wayne. *If you've not
> > tried it, it's pretty simple (I use it on ribs, butts, and chicken)

> > (copied from Danny's site:http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57
> > )
> > * * * ****************
> > Ribs - Danny's Pork Spare Rib Rub & Finishing Sauce

> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * granulated garlic
> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * onion powder
> > 2 * * * *tablespoons * * * salt
> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * cayenne
> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * black pepper
> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * white pepper
> > 1/2 * * * *cup * * * paprika
> > 1 * * * *cup * * * brown sugar
> > * * * * * * * ****FINISHING SAUCE***
> > 1/4 * * * *cup * * * vinegar
> > 1/4 * * * *cup * * * mustard
> > 1/3 * * * *cup * * * brown sugar

> > This may be a little hot for some folks, so one may want to reduce the
> > cayenne a little...but that's the way they like'em out here. I believe
> > the brown sugar is a must, and when it caramelizes, it produces that
> > rich dark cherry-red color, plus it tastes good! After the ribs come
> > off the pit, baste them with a quick coat of an old Southern recipe
> > for finishing sauce for an added deeper, richer, cherry appearance,
> > and flavor. Sauce should be more on the thick side, than thin. Apply
> > with a pastry brush 2 or 3 inches wide. Must be brushed on AS SOON as
> > the ribs come off the pit, not even 2 min. later...immediately. This
> > lets it burn in, and will give them a shinny, glazed appearance, and
> > turns them into an even deeper cherry-red color. I love that color. If
> > the color is not deep enough, add more brown sugar.
> > Posted to the BBQ List in Nov. 1998 by Rock McNelly - - - - - - - -- -
> > - - - - - - - -
> > NOTE - Danny updated his glaze to be 1/4 cup mustand, 1/4 - 1/3 cup
> > vinegar, and 1 cup brown sugar.
> > * * * ****************

> > I tend to put the finishing sauce on for the last 5 min or so in the
> > pit. *I'm a wimp wrt spicy, so I cut the cayenne down, but from what
> > you say, you might conceivably raise the level of it.

> > "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
> > winds up persecuting someone else."
> > -Philip Pullman
> > --
> > -denny-
> > (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

> Denny, this looks great! *Thanks... *I will definitely give it a try for my
> next rack or two.

I'd tell you I started out with this, but ended up with simple s&P
(lots of cracked pepper). But different
strokes...........................
Once you figure you got the process down, do try the simple method
once. You might be suprised.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu 17 Jan 2008 09:50:42p, Tutall told us...

> On Jan 17, 7:52*pm, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>> On Thu 17 Jan 2008 08:24:32p, Denny Wheeler told us...
>>

>> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 20:05:34 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

the

>> > You'd probably like Danny Gaulden's Rib Rub, Wayne. *If you've not
>> > tried it, it's pretty simple (I use it on ribs, butts, and chicken)

>> > (copied from Danny's site:http://www.dannysbbq.com/recipes.asp?rid=57
>> > ) * * * ****************
>> > Ribs - Danny's Pork Spare Rib Rub & Finishing Sauce

>> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * granulated garlic
>> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * onion powder
>> > 2 * * * *tablespoons * * * salt
>> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * cayenne
>> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * black pepper
>> > 1 * * * *tablespoon * * * white pepper
>> > 1/2 * * * *cup * * * paprika
>> > 1 * * * *cup * * * brown sugar
>> > * * * * * * * ****FINISHING SAUCE***
>> > 1/4 * * * *cup * * * vinegar
>> > 1/4 * * * *cup * * * mustard 1/3 * * * *cup * * * brown sugar

>> > This may be a little hot for some folks, so one may want to reduce the
>> > cayenne a little...but that's the way they like'em out here. I believe
>> > the brown sugar is a must, and when it caramelizes, it produces that
>> > rich dark cherry-red color, plus it tastes good! After the ribs come
>> > off the pit, baste them with a quick coat of an old Southern recipe
>> > for finishing sauce for an added deeper, richer, cherry appearance,
>> > and flavor. Sauce should be more on the thick side, than thin. Apply
>> > with a pastry brush 2 or 3 inches wide. Must be brushed on AS SOON as
>> > the ribs come off the pit, not even 2 min. later...immediately. This
>> > lets it burn in, and will give them a shinny, glazed appearance, and
>> > turns them into an even deeper cherry-red color. I love that color. If
>> > the color is not deep enough, add more brown sugar.
>> > Posted to the BBQ List in Nov. 1998 by Rock McNelly - - - - - - - -- -
>> > - - - - - - - -
>> > NOTE - Danny updated his glaze to be 1/4 cup mustand, 1/4 - 1/3 cup
>> > vinegar, and 1 cup brown sugar.
>> > * * * ****************

>> > I tend to put the finishing sauce on for the last 5 min or so in the
>> > pit. *I'm a wimp wrt spicy, so I cut the cayenne down, but from what
>> > you say, you might conceivably raise the level of it.

>> > "Every single religion that has a monotheistic god
>> > winds up persecuting someone else."
>> > -Philip Pullman
>> > --
>> > -denny-
>> > (not as curmudgeonly as I useta be)

>> Denny, this looks great! *Thanks... *I will definitely give it a try f
>> or my next rack or two.

> I'd tell you I started out with this, but ended up with simple s&P
> (lots of cracked pepper). But different
> strokes...........................
> Once you figure you got the process down, do try the simple method
> once. You might be suprised.

I don't doubt you. When I do ribs indoors in the oven, I use just salt and
pepper and a small amount of granulated garlic. Delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 01(I)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Now, assuming that I'm right. And I
invariably am...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>
>>I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
>>taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
>>recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?
>>
>>TIA
>>

> Rubs are no different than other foods we eat. The American taste buds have
> been taught that salt is good from an early age and we demand lots of it in
> many of our foods. People think it is normal and needed. If you stop using
> salt, there is a one or two week period of withdrawal and they you learn how
> good food can taste on its own.
>
> On a more positive side, I do use some salt in rubs. It has the ability to
> mix with the other spices and helps to distribute them over the meat. I
> probably use a quarter of what most recipes call for.
>

> When you get to commercial products, salt is there for another reason.
> Cost. You can make a hefty feeling container of rub and sell it at an
> attractive price if you load it up with cheap salt.

I think Ed is right that so much is used because it is cheap. It adds
volume, making the purchase seem like a better buy. Would you rather
buy 4 oz of a heavily salted product for $3.00 or 2 oz of a minimally
salted product for $3.00?

Like many others around here, I put together my own rub using much less
salt then recipes call for.

BBQ
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri 18 Jan 2008 09:33:10p, bbq told us...

> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 3.184...
>>
>>>I find that most recipes for BBQ rubs contain far too much salt for my
>>>taste. I know I can reduce the quantity and have done so with some
>>>recipes, but my question is *why* the huge amounts of salt?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>

>> Rubs are no different than other foods we eat. The American taste buds
>> have been taught that salt is good from an early age and we demand lots
>> of it in many of our foods. People think it is normal and needed. If
>> you stop using salt, there is a one or two week period of withdrawal
>> and they you learn how good food can taste on its own.
>>
>> On a more positive side, I do use some salt in rubs. It has the
>> ability to mix with the other spices and helps to distribute them over
>> the meat. I probably use a quarter of what most recipes call for.
>>

>> When you get to commercial products, salt is there for another reason.
>> Cost. You can make a hefty feeling container of rub and sell it at an
>> attractive price if you load it up with cheap salt.

> I think Ed is right that so much is used because it is cheap. It adds
> volume, making the purchase seem like a better buy. Would you rather
> buy 4 oz of a heavily salted product for $3.00 or 2 oz of a minimally
> salted product for $3.00?
>
> Like many others around here, I put together my own rub using much less
> salt then recipes call for.
>
> BBQ

Then I seem to be on the right track. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 01(I)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
I'm not rude, I'm 'attitudinally
challenged'.

Opinion about BBQ rubs tutall Barbecue 10 14-06-2013 04:26 AM
How Long for Dry and Wet Rubs? Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-01-2013 04:58 PM
Rubs Granby Barbecue 104 08-08-2009 12:47 AM
Dry Rubs? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2007 11:00 AM
About Rubs? Kent Barbecue 4 03-08-2006 05:48 AM