Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Meat, Marinade, or Flavor Injectors

What is the general consensus regarding these injectors? Do they make
a difference for the better, or are they more of a gimmick than
anything else? I've been eying a few, and am considering getting one.
Have any of you used one, and did injecting the meat seem to improve
the final product? I had one a few years ago, and from what I can
recollect, using it actually seemed to dry the meat out. Of course,
this could have been due to the meat being overcooked, or the cook
being overly "marinated" at the time!

Any advice is appreciated, as always!

Thanks-

JimnGin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jan 12, 4:20*am, JimnGin > wrote:

SNIP

>using it actually seemed to dry the meat out. Of course,
> this could have been due to the meat being overcooked, or the cook
> being overly "marinated" at the time!
>
> Any advice is appreciated, as always!

Since no one jumped on this, I thought I would comment. I have no
advice, though. Well, except watch the "personal marinating". <VBG>

I have done a couple of chickens with an injection, and didn't like
the texture of the meat, nor the concentration of flavors in the spot
I marinated. It was good, just didn't think it was worth the effort.
I like brining better if I am going to do something else other than
grill the chicken.

Had plenty of injected turkey, some fried and some baked.
I liked the injected turkey better than I did the chicken, but still
liked lightly herbed and smoked chicken without injection better.

I have heard (and read) that a lot of competition teams are injecting
meat now with all manner of things. I guess in the end it's how you
want your end product to taste and feel.

I don't usually have problems with dry meats (unless as you say, I am
the one properly marinated!) due to the fact I cook so slow. It is
more of a battle to get some of the meats done. No worry about them
drying out.

That being said, I picked up an all stainless injector from Lowe's for
$7 when they had their famous end of the year clearance. I am
thinking of trying out some kind of lime juice/hot pepper oil
infusions on my chicken smoke this weekend.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
I have done a couple of chickens with an injection, and didn't like
the texture of the meat, nor the concentration of flavors in the spot
I marinated. It was good, just didn't think it was worth the effort.

Pretty much my experience. I've only tried it a few times but it was not a
show stopper at all. I prefer rubs. It may be possible I've just not hit
the right combination of spices though but I've not even tried for a couple
of years.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12 jan, 11:20, JimnGin > wrote:
> What is the general consensus regarding these injectors? Do they make
> a difference for the better, or are they more of a gimmick than
> anything else? I've been eying a few, and am considering getting one.
> Have any of you used one, and did injecting the meat seem to improve
> the final product? I had one a few years ago, and from what I can
> recollect, using it actually seemed to dry the meat out. Of course,
> this could have been due to the meat being overcooked, or the cook
> being overly "marinated" at the time!
>
> Any advice is appreciated, as always!
>
> Thanks-
>
> JimnGin

Hi there,

I never used an injector, but it seems to be simular to a brine
needle. when making hotsmoked hame (not bbq) or canadian bacon, I used
to have problems completely brine the meat. after smoking you could
see and taste that the center of the meat was not salty enough. now
that I use the brine needle, I don't have that problem any more

Adriaan

The Netherlands